98 replies to this topic

#41 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Serazu said:

So, for a combat that potentially lasts more than one round -such as one with an AO- even spells that add extended benefits, such as "Wither" need to be refreshed and recast each round. Ok, thanks.

Yeah! Here is the official answer, anyway (emphasys mine):

Type 4: (Spells) "Cast and exhaust to gain +X to Combat checks until the end of this combat."
Examples: Wither, Shrivelling.
A spell that gives a combat bonus like this will last until the end of the combat (i.e. for multiple combat rounds until the combat is over) once you cast it. HOWEVER, you must still devote the proper number of hands to keeping the spell going, or it will end. In any case, the spell is exhausted after casting, so it can only be used to fight one monster each turn.
Also note that in a battle vs. the Ancient One, you will need to recast the spell each attack, since it gets refreshed and ends between attacks.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#42 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Another thing I'm not sure anyone caught: Sword of Glory is two-handed. Unless there was some logistic justification (Lambeau), then a single character should not have had both the Sword and anything else equipped.

#43 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Tibs said:

Another thing I'm not sure anyone caught: Sword of Glory is two-handed.

Dam did. The OP answered it could have been Enchanted Blade instead

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#44 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Wow, I need to get more sleep. Missed that utterly.

#45 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Tibs said:

Wow, I need to get more sleep. Missed that utterly.

Did you...

did you...

I mean, did you just actually doubt me ?

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#46 zubu

zubu

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

another quesion: where can i find the statistics re frequency of different gates in mythos cards?

#47 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Threefold answer:

1. People on Boardgame geek go out of their way to count these up.
  2. You could count them yourself, without too much hassle.
  3. It's better, in my opinion, to experience the "frequency" issue on your own, by playing!

But if you'd prefer a hint:

On the base board, there are four "major" hotspots, four low-frequency locations, and three "medium" locations.

#48 zubu

zubu

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Tibs said:

Threefold answer:

1. People on Boardgame geek go out of their way to count these up.
  2. You could count them yourself, without too much hassle.
  3. It's better, in my opinion, to experience the "frequency" issue on your own, by playing!

But if you'd prefer a hint:

On the base board, there are four "major" hotspots, four low-frequency locations, and three "medium" locations.

thanx for help :)

another one: Every investigator has maximum stamina / sanity - is it possible for it to raise above that lvl - for example via location encounter cards or spells?

#49 Hugues

Hugues

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

You can't have your current above your maximum. A maximum is maximal....

#50 zubu

zubu

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hugues said:

makes sense lol

#51 zubu

zubu

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

sry for double post but there s no way to edit the posts here...

another question is re the sequence of actions u perform if u meet  a monster:

if I want to evade it:

1. start with monster's special abilities (for example overwhelming or nightmarish) and take damage

2. horror check

3. evade check

4. if evade checks fails - monsters deals damage + I enter combat

If I want to fight a monster:

1. start with monster's special abilities (for example overwhelming or nightmarish) and take damage

2. horror check

3. combat check

is the above sequence right?

#52 Two_Hands

Two_Hands

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

another question is re the sequence of actions u perform if u meet  a monster:

if I want to evade it:

2. horror check

3. evade check

4. if evade checks fails - monsters deals damage + I enter combat

Nope, if you want to evade it you miss your steps 1 & 2 above, and just start at 3.

If I want to fight a monster:

2. horror check

3. combat check

is the above sequence right?

Sorry, again not quiite right. If you want to fight it the sequence is:

1. Horror check. Lose sanity if you fail or monster is nightmarish.

2. Choose to fight (go to 3) or flee (go to 4)

3. Combat check. Lose stamina if you fail or if monster is overwhelming. If you passed, combat is over; if you failed go back to 2.

4. Evade check. Lose stamina if you fail or if monster is overwhelming. If you passed, combat is over; if you failed go back to 2.

#53 Two_Hands

Two_Hands

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

New question, why does the quote function on this board not work like the quote function of every other internet forum in existence?

ETA: You can edit your posts, it is just that the edit function is at the top of the post, rather than beside the reply and quote functions where it should be.

I take it this forum was designed by one of the Old Ones to drive forum users mad?

#54 zubu

zubu

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

so an investigator looses sanity form the monster's nightmarish ability during a horror check and looses stamina for overwhelming ability regardless if he wants to evade or fight it?

#55 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

Hugues said:

This is not absolutely true, but if there is a reason you have more hearts or brains than your maximum, you will have a card in front of you that specifically says, "above your maximum".  If you don't have that phrase, NOTHING can routinely get you more hearts or brains than your Maximum.

Nightmarish and Overwhelming activate ONLY after you have passed a Horror or Combat Check, respectively.  If you attempt an Evade Check and pass, nothing happens to you and the encounter ends; if you attempt an Evade Check and fail, the monster deals its Combat Damage, and Overwhelming doesn't activate anyway.  Only once you have actually rolled and passed a Horror/Combat Check do you take any damage from Nightmarish/Overwhelming.

What was that noise?

#56 zubu

zubu

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

jgt7771 said:

Hugues said:

This is not absolutely true, but if there is a reason you have more hearts or brains than your maximum, you will have a card in front of you that specifically says, "above your maximum".  If you don't have that phrase, NOTHING can routinely get you more hearts or brains than your Maximum.

Nightmarish and Overwhelming activate ONLY after you have passed a Horror or Combat Check, respectively.  If you attempt an Evade Check and pass, nothing happens to you and the encounter ends; if you attempt an Evade Check and fail, the monster deals its Combat Damage, and Overwhelming doesn't activate anyway.  Only once you have actually rolled and passed a Horror/Combat Check do you take any damage from Nightmarish/Overwhelming.

right, it may seem like a minor details but in arkham every little stamina / sanity point matters... :P

in evading:

1. horror check

2a. if success - take damage from nightmarish ability

2b if failure - take horror damage and... ? do u take extra damage from nightmarish ability as well?

3. Evade

4a if success - nothing else happens

4b if a failure - combat damage and damage from the overwhelming ability

If combat:

1 + 2 as above

3. combat check

4a if success - take damage from overwhelming ability

4b if failed - combat damage and damage from the overwhelming ability?

#57 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

zubu said:

in evading:

1. horror check

2a. if success - take damage from nightmarish ability

2b if failure - take horror damage and... ? do u take extra damage from nightmarish ability as well?

3. Evade

4a if success - nothing else happens

4b if a failure - combat damage and damage from the overwhelming ability

Almost.  Everything is right except the end of the (b)s: you only take the appropriate monster damage, and ignore the Nightmarish/Overwhelming.

Consider the thematic idea, if that makes it a little easier to visualize.  Horror Check: your strength of Will was enough to stare down that thing that couldn't possibly exist in reality (passed check, no horror damage), but OH GOOD LORD, it's just so damn NASTY! (Nightmarish sting to Sanity).  Combat Check: You took your sword to task against the giant thrashing wall of flesh called the Shoggoth (passed check, no combat damage), but DAMN, did it take forever to put that pusbag down!  And it sure got a few licks in too! (Overwhelming sting to Stamina).

Also, just in case I'm not following your mind exactly...when you first encounter a monster, you have a chance to evade it ENTIRELY before you even have to make a Horror Check.  If an Initial Evade Check is passed, you don't have to do anything else with the monster: no Horror Check, no Monster Abilities, you can even keep moving.  But if you pass an Evade Check after the Horror Check, the Encounter is over, but you're still stuck there.  It's the difference between leaving the area and merely hiding in the danger zone.

More theme: You know there's something out there, you just hope it doesn't know where YOU are.  If you can just get across the room without being spotted.......made it!  Time to get the heck out of this blasted house/neighborhood! (passed check, moved out of Location/Street)  .........crap!  It saw you and a claw raked across your back!  (failed check, take combat damage)  Now, assuming you passed the Horror Check.......Good thing the lumbering hulk is so slow.  If you can keep quiet, maybe it won't realize you're only hiding behind the couch a few feet away (passed check).  It might move off searching for you and give you another chance to make it outside and away from here (no movement until next turn).

zubu said:

If combat:

1 + 2 as above

3. combat check

4a if success - take damage from overwhelming ability

4b if failed - combat damage and damage from the overwhelming ability?

Same as above on the (b)s: only monster combat damage, no Overwhelming.

What was that noise?

#58 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

In case you need, you can cross-check all what Jgt said by looking at page 14 of the rulebook. You'll notice, the "evade" procedure is described before "combat", and they specify that if your first attempt of evading the monster fails, then you're dealt the monster's stamina damage and you enter combat. So, no way you have to worry about Nightmarish and / or Overwhelming unless your combat has begun

#59 zubu

zubu

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

my mind is boggling lol...

ok, lets see if i get it right...

i get the nightmarish damage if I succeede at a horror check (if the monster has nightmarish ability ofc)

I get the horror damage without nightmarish damage if I fail at horror check

If I succeede at combat check I get the overwhelming damage

If I fail at combat check I get the combat damage without overwhelming damage

The last thing that aint clear is this: Do I have to make a horror check before I make an evade check or do I make an evade check without a horror check? Common sense tells me I should always make a horror check... I see the monster and regardless if I wanna flee or fight it makes me insane... so how is it oh clever Ones? :D

#60 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

zubu said:

my mind is boggling lol...

ok, lets see if i get it right...

i get the nightmarish damage if I succeede at a horror check (if the monster has nightmarish ability ofc)

I get the horror damage without nightmarish damage if I fail at horror check

If I succeede at combat check I get the overwhelming damage

If I fail at combat check I get the combat damage without overwhelming damage

The last thing that aint clear is this: Do I have to make a horror check before I make an evade check or do I make an evade check without a horror check? Common sense tells me I should always make a horror check... I see the monster and regardless if I wanna flee or fight it makes me insane... so how is it oh clever Ones? :D

Ok, the first four (nightmarish yes or no, overwhelming yes or no) you got them right

As per your second question:

there is a monster in your space. You want to Evade it. You must not roll the Horror check, but you roll an Evade check. Two cases

a) you pass the Evade check. Monster ignored for this movement phase AND, if you wish and have some spare movement points, you can move further

b) you fail the Horror check. You suffer the combat damage of the monster AND you enter combat. Hence: Horror check and then Fight or Flee

Hope this solves your doubts

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS