98 replies to this topic

#21 Taurmindo

Taurmindo

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

Serazu said:

Tibs said:

1. Your maximum is your maximum. If you enter combat with 3 stamina out of a max of 5, then your max is five. When Cthulhu attacks, you may reduce this to 3 out of 4. Then 3 out of 3. Then 2 out of 2, since your current can't be higher than your maximum. Of course, on any given attack, you could always choose to lower your stamina max instead of your sanity max. In general, investigators die on Cthulhu's 7th attack.

1. So, let's say than an investigator whose card showed a maximum Sanity of 5 entered combat with a current Sanity of 3, then the sequence would be like this:

Start of combat: Sanity 5

After 1rst Cthulhu attack: Sanity 4

After 2nd: 3

After 3rd: 2

After 4rth: 1

After 5th: 0

Right?

(For simplicity reasons I left Stamina out)

2. If Duke was there, then the investigator would start with a Sanity of 6. Right?

3. In the above example I discarded the "Dreams of Madness" effect which would reduce the investigator's Sanity of 5 to 4 at the beginning of the game, since this should be in effect only during Cthulhu's sleep (the first phase of the game) and not after Cthulhu's awakening. Was I right?

If Duke was present, in the above example his optimal use would be to keep him till I have 1 Sanity left, then to discard him to restore my Sanity to 5 (not 6, since the Sanity would be increased to 6 only while Duke was in play). Right?

Last question: If during that combat, I expended a sanity point to cast a spell, this wouldn't affect my maximum sanity, just my current one, so, practically, it wouldn't make any difference (contrarily to a battle vs. Hastur or Yig where the expenditure would hurt). Right?

1. yes.
2. he would start with maximum sanity 6, current would still be 3.
3. no, his slumber ability stays active. it's rather his imminent presence causing the effect.

if duke was present you should not discard him for the heal, as this will make you have another step lower maximum sanity, which is equal to one attack from cthulhu. having 6 maximum stamina going down to 1 obviously takes longer time than if you have only 5 (as with the +1 sanity from duke).

casting a spell would not hurt you no, and eventually your maximum sanity will catch up with your current sanity.
an investigator with 1 of 5 stamina and 1 of 5 sanity lasts just as long as one with 5 of 5 stamina and 5 of 5 sanity.

#22 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

Taurmindo said:

if duke was present you should not discard him for the heal, as this will make you have another step lower maximum sanity, which is equal to one attack from cthulhu. having 6 maximum stamina going down to 1 obviously takes longer time than if you have only 5 (as with the +1 sanity from duke).

What I meant was: I start with Duke, thus keeping my Sanity at 6 instead of 5 (well, at 5 instead of 4, since you said that "Dreams" stay active even when C awakens). My Sanity will eventually go down, quite possibly at 1. Then, when it hits 1, I discard Duke to make it 4 again. I believe I can do that, cannot I?

#23 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

Sorry, I couldn't edit the above post, hence the new one...

Never mind to the above, I hadn't read mi-go hunter's reply by the time I posted it.

Thanks again guys to all of you. You have been very helpful to enlighten a clueless.

#24 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

Wow, the more I play, the more confusing issues come up. This concerns Terror Level and the AO's awakening.

1. The core rules (pg. 20) state that the AO "awakens if the terror level has reached 10 and there are monsters in play equal to twice the normal monster limit". I guess monsters in the Outskirts are considered "in play", since they affect game progression in their way, i.e. when the Outskirts become loaded with them, the TL increases and so on. Besides, the example given right after the above statement ("for example, 16 monsters in a five-player game" obviously includes monsters in the Outskirts, since, in a five-player game, the monster limit equals 8. The rest obviously are monsters in the Outskirts. So, the "in play" reference takes monsters in the Outskirts into account as well. Correct?

2. If the above is correct, then what happens when the 10th point in the terror level chart is reached after too many monsters populate the outskirts? Let me give you an example: in an one-player game the monster limit is 4. Let's say that there are 4 monsters already and there are 7 more in the outskirts. The terror level chart is currently at 9 and there are 6 open gates on the board. The mythos card drawn shows an already open gate. A monster surge follows. Since there are 4 monsters in the Arkham City and the Sky already, the 6 new monsters all go to the outskirts. There are now 13 monsters in the outskirts. According to the rules, these things should happen in order:

1. All monsters in the outskirts are returned to the cup.

2. The terror level is increased by 1.

In the above case, TL reaches 10, an Ally returns to the box (as long as there is any left) and Arkham is overrun. But, does the AO awaken? If we follow the rules step by step, then firstly we return all monsters to the cup and then we raise TL. According to this, when TL reached 10 there are only 4 monsters in game, since the ones in the outskirts have already returned to the cup, causing the terror increase. Thus, the AO doesn't awaken. If during later rounds the Arkham city and the sky hold at least 8 monsters (but not the outskirts, since, from now on, all monsters go in the city and the sky), then, sure, the AO will awaken, but it's the specific time when the TL hits 10 I 'm interested in. By that time, and following the sequence of events as stated, then it's not awakening time yet. Am I grasping this correctly or is there anything else amiss?

#25 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

Serazu, you touched a complex point.

There was a long long discussion some time ago regarding this point, and, IIRC, it was (probably) said that when the terror hits 10, you have to add a doomer to the Doom track and double the monster limit. For this purpose, you should consider all monsters on the board but not those in the Outskirts. So basically, if the Terror reaches 10 for Outskirts popping out, you won't have any monster there, but in case it reaches 10 for other reasons (Mythos card, investigators devoured in a Glaaki game, whatlese) AND you have monsters in the Outskirts, they remain in the Outskirts and do not count for the doubled monster limit (which is very logical, after all whenever calculating the monster limit, you never count them)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#26 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

Well here's the thing: when the terror level hits 10, the outskirts is emptied back to the cup. So those monsters won't wind up counting anyway.

#27 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

Tibs said:

Well here's the thing: when the terror level hits 10, the outskirts is emptied back to the cup. So those monsters won't wind up counting anyway.

Wow, that's great to know! Thx! Anyway, I hope I'll never see a Terror 10 game!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#28 jim_t_ca

jim_t_ca

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hello. As a new player I thought I would also add a question that came up in a game recently. We were near the end and about to close the last couple of gates. Two gates  left to two different "other worlds" I entered the other world one turn and another player entered the same other world the turn after I did in case I failed to make it through. I DID manage to leave and close the gate but that left the other player "trapped" in the other world without a gate to return to Arkham.  We assumed that he would be "lost in time and space" but could not find anywhere to say for sure. It's just as possible he would be trapped forever and lost. (Same as devoured)  If anyone can clarify this situation any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

#29 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

You're only Lost in Time and Space when you return from the other world but there are no legal exists. Your friend wasn't LiTaS immediately, and in fact if the game had continued, he might have been saved by the other gate to that world opening up before he had to return.

Unless, of course, he had a Gate Box in his possession. Then any gate is a legal exit.

#30 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:19 AM

Julia said:

Serazu, you touched a complex point.
There was a long long discussion some time ago regarding this point, and, IIRC, it was (probably) said that when the terror hits 10, you have to add a doomer to the Doom track and double the monster limit. For this purpose, you should consider all monsters on the board but not those in the Outskirts.

Is it official? I do not remember any such mention in the rules.

Tibs said:

I suppose this is done because the Arkham is overrun and, being overrun, all monsters should be in the city. Right?

And, I guess, the cause of the TL increase to 10 should be irrelevant. What matters is that it's 10, so Arkham is overrun, so monsters should not be on the outskirts. Right?

Forgive me guys, but I 'm still a little bit confused. Let's try and find an answer based on your replies.

1. According to Tibs's post, the exact time when TL reaches 10, all monsters in the Outskirts are returned to the cup. So, the answer to my first question, is that the "in play" monsters are only monsters in the Arkham city and the sky, since, at TL 10, there cannot be monsters at outskirts. Am I grasping it correctly?

2. Similarly to the above, the AO shouldn't awaken. At TL 10 there cannot be monsters at outskirts. Thus, in the example I 've given, there will only be 4 monsters in Arkham, not enough to waken him up. At later rounds though, since the monster limit is lifted, he will almost certainly awaken. So, the answer in my second question should be that the AO does not awaken (yet). Correct?

#31 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:04 AM

Sounds right to me. Though, personally, if there was ever an effect that put monsters into the outskirts after the terror level was already 10 (some weird encounter for example), I would count those as being "in play" as well.

I remember back before "too many monsters" was an awakening condition. Once I had the terror level at 10 and 30-something monsters in town. I think we wound up winning.

#32 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:44 PM

After a couple more games under my belt, another instance I 've come across in need of further clarification:

I picked an investigator card in the Miscatonic area stating that if I had two or less spells in my possession, then I should acquire a unique item. If I had no spells at the time, could I acquire the unique item? Normally, zero spells fall in the above category, unless having at least one spell was an absolute prerequisite for the effect to take place.

#33 Joseph_Lavode

Joseph_Lavode

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:13 AM

In that instance you would gain a unique item

#34 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

After many months away from Arkham, I recently felt the call once more and played a game vs. Cthulhu. It came down to the last battle where I was equipped with Wither, the Sword of Glory and the Revolver. In the first round of combat I used the spell in one hand and the Sword in the other. Wither's text mentions that, once used, it grants a +3 to rolls till the end of the combat. From the second round onward, I replaced the spell with the revolver for a total of 3 + 4 + 4 extra dice for my rolls. Was I legitimate or did I cheat and should have stuck with the spell and the Sword even if the former was exhausted?

#35 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Final Combat has an Upkeep Phase during which the Wither refreshes, so you'd need to re-cast it again to get the +3. Also, Sword of Glory requires 2 hands, can't use Wither (unless you're Marie) alongside it. Even if you were to somehow keep the Wither in play, as soon as you "give up the hand" assigned to it and use the Revolver, you don't get the +3 from Wither anymore.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#36 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

1. But, isn't Wither's +3 supposed to last till the end of the combat once cast? It says so in the card.

2. It may not have been Sword of Glory then; Enchanted Sword perhaps? It gave +4 and was one-handed - of that I am positive.

3. So, Wither demands that I "dedicate" a hand to it for as long as it benefits the roll, right?

#37 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

Serazu said:

1. But, isn't Wither's +3 supposed to last till the end of the combat once cast? It says so in the card.

2. It may not have been Sword of Glory then; Enchanted Sword perhaps? It gave +4 and was one-handed - of that I am positive.

3. So, Wither demands that I "dedicate" a hand to it for as long as it benefits the roll, right?

Hi there!

Dam's right! Spells last as long as you devote hands to them. Please crosscheck your question with the "Kevin Wilson official answers" sticky thread on the main page of this very forum!

#38 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

Ok, but there is still one thing that needs clarification: Dam said that "Final Combat has an Upkeep Phase during which the Wither refreshes, so you'd need to re-cast it again to get the +3". Why should I re-cast it since its duration lasts for the whole combat once I cast it?

#39 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

Serazu said:

Ok, but there is still one thing that needs clarification: Dam said that "Final Combat has an Upkeep Phase during which the Wither refreshes, so you'd need to re-cast it again to get the +3". Why should I re-cast it since its duration lasts for the whole combat once I cast it?

Ok, let's go with order. Spells last as long as you devote hands to them AND the combat isn't over.

Before final battle, this means: you cast the spell and exhaust the card, regardless of the result of the casting. If you succeed, your spell lasts untile the combat is over, or you stop using it. If you have more than one monster in your location, "combat" means "combat vs one monster", ok? So, the spell doesn't last for the second monster.

During final battle: you cast it and attack the AO. You roll the dice, bla bla. Then the investigator on your left attacks. This means your "attack" is over. If there are no investigators left on your left, the AO attacks. Then the "combat round" is over, and there is a new Upkeep phase. You refresh your items. And spells are required to be cast again.

Hope this clarifies your doubts

#40 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

So, for a combat that potentially lasts more than one round -such as one with an AO- even spells that add extended benefits, such as "Wither" need to be refreshed and recast each round. Ok, thanks.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS