Wish list

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:57 PM

Scoob your reply like Narsil said was excelent and if my English were decent we could have a nice conversation on this matter but....

I realy dont have a promblem with characters like Eleanor and Maniacske said it very well.Sure many of us we create our own characters or commoners  with our imagination and Maniacske was right that the experience and the view on the world of Tolkien is very different from people to people even if we all read the same lines.

But as i said before and i am saying this one more time and this is only  my personal opinion that adding a commoner or an imaginery character is a lot different from making Gandalf ringbearer or Sam killing the Blarog with his sword.I can't explain this very well but i think you can understand what i want to say.

So many people with a lot of interesting opinions in those forums is a good sign and i am sure that we will have many more conversation like this in the future. My English is the only promblem .

#82 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:48 AM

There is an interesting discussion going on in this topic! I think I can understand all the opinions and I also think there is no right or wrong to this, but it is really interesting to hear everyone's opinion on this - and why they feel this way.

I personally played the lotr TCG by decipher and I liked the first block very well (The Fellowship of the Ring + Expansions) and I really thought it to be a very interesting game with having both good and evil in one's deck. The reason I lost interest in the game over time, however, is because Decipher started to (in my opinion) add fictive characters or unknown characters to randomly. It just lost the feel it used to have in the beginning. What I regretted most is that the game was based on the movie and used pictures and names from the movies. This limited the game too much already before it started. They were predestined to run out of material eventually.

And that is why I already love ffgs lotr card game so much: It is not restricted by the movie, but it draws directly from Tolkien's vast universe he creaated. And as Scoopb put it so nicely, I also believe that Middle Earth was supposed to live. Like a song or a tale that is retoled many times over and over again until nobody knows the original story anymore and nobody can tell what was and what wasn't. We can see this also as recurring theme in Tolkien's work, obviously he was a big admirer of folklore and myths. Since he left us his legacy it is our job to stick to the guideline that Tolkien presented to us and should be able to explore and expand it. Now, of course there will always be people that don't quite managed to catch the spirit of the original in their work, but there are also people who manage to do so very well. I do have faith in ffg that if they create new characters, they give enough background and ties to these characters to make them believable and lovable and I would welcome this option. I would be put off by having to play a "Random Gondor Swordsman #5" because only he fits my combo, though. Let's wait and see how it turns out. I am sure that ffg know what they're doing and that they are aware that they tread on quite light water when dealing with material that has such a vast fan community as Lotr. There is a lot of potential for sure...and I realy love ffg for turning purposely away from the movies!

servant of the secret fire said:

But as i said before and i am saying this one more time and this is only my personal opinion that adding a commoner or an imaginery character is a lot different from making Gandalf ringbearer or Sam killing the Blarog with his sword.I can't explain this very well but i think you can understand what i want to say.

Well, it is hard to imagine that ffg will go that far, isn't it ;-)

Look at Legolas card, sure don't look like Orladon frikkin Bloom to me.

Speaking of which: It keeps freaking me out, but the Aragorn artwork keeps reminding me of Prof. Snape (Alan Rickman) from the Harry Potter movie...please tell me I' wrong!!

#83 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:32 AM

faith_star83 said:

servant of the secret fire said:

But as i said before and i am saying this one more time and this is only my personal opinion that adding a commoner or an imaginery character is a lot different from making Gandalf ringbearer or Sam killing the Blarog with his sword.I can't explain this very well but i think you can understand what i want to say.

Well, it is hard to imagine that ffg will go that far, isn't it ;-)

Yes i aggre with you thats why i am still here and i am waitting for this game.

As for Lotr TCG yes it was greate at the begining but i think that Desipher went out from ideas.At later expantions they tried to add some characters from the books wich we didnt saw in the movies like Grimbeorn and Tom Bombadil but they used them with the wrong way.And yes you are right Desipher's game was limited before it started.

Me and some friends we still have all the cards from Lotr TCG and we play very often and wen we see cards like 'strange looking man' we can understand that Desipher's only goal was money and not how to make their game better.

#84 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:33 AM

That surprises you that Decipher was trying to make money ? 

#85 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

Toqtamish said:

That surprises you that Decipher was trying to make money ? 

No thats the mane goal of all companies.No one makes a game just to please people or because they are so good and they want to give pleasure to humanity.

But some companies take your money and they give you back a nice and a worth play game and you feel that you give your money to somethink good and you don't just throw your money from the window.That does not count for Desipher.They used a big name like Lotr just to take your money and they gave you back a piece of s***t.People at that time realised that they don't even bother to test their game and their new cards and thats why this game is a memory.

#86 radioboyeric

radioboyeric

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:49 AM

It totally looks like Alan Rickman (Snape)!!! Dead on!

#87 PWBrian

PWBrian

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:28 AM

I'd be all over a Lord of the Rings movie with Alan Rickman as Aragorn.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS