• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

Mighty Jim said:

Oh I see, so who owns the rights for LOTR / THe Hobbit, if not the Tolkiens?

As far as a big expansion goes, I hope they'll keep a decent balance in the cards - The AGOT deluxe expansions have only focused on one house, which makes things a bit skewed until the equivalent comes out for another house. I hope we don't see for example just a "Lore" expansion, or a "tactics" one. Something for each sphere is they way to go.

Warner Bros has the rights and if a company wants to make a game or a movie they must take the licensce from WB.

As for the expansions i hope that too.In most games as time goes ideas are poorer and the only think they add is bigger numbers and more broken cards and the game loses interest.

#42 rings

rings

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:46 AM

I would be suprised if that was true, unless they were using movie stills.

Usually the rights are per product - toys, movies, books, etc.  WB for sure owns the rights to publish the movie (and they can sell those right, they have been sold before), but I sincerely doubt they own any other rights.  I.e. they don't have the book publishing rights, nor the right to produce Hobbit toys.  Unless - again - they are using movie scenes/stills then WB would have to sign off on it, on top of the Tolkien estate. 

(Just a little background, I was a banker for a few gaming companies until last year)

Doesn't FFG own some gaming Hobbitt rights already?  For board games? 

Oh, King eh? Very nice...

#43 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:49 AM

Me and my horrible English.....

WB has the rights for the movies and for games based on the movies.WB owns the rights for The Hobbit the movie and can make a game for The Hobbit.Games Workshop expanded the licence from WB and they can use Hobbit for their miniature game.

FFG on the other hand can use the licence from the books and thats the reason why they cant have Aragorn,Gandalf,Gimli,Legolas etc look like the characters in the movies.

#44 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:32 AM

And WB only owns them because they bought out New Line Cinema who owned the movie rights since they are the ones that made the movies.

Anyway, getting this topic back on topic.

I agree we will likely see a large box expansion after the first cycle, that is exactly what happened with Warhammer Invasion. After the corruption cycle Assault on Ulthuan came out.

#45 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

Lcg's tend to have different versions of the heroes or heroes are allways the same?I mean at later expansions we may have a different Aragorn with different abilities and stats or the first Aragorn is the only Aaragorn we will get?

Desipher's card game had many versions of every character and minion.Does this huppens at Lcg's?

#46 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

Yes AGoT has several versions of a number of the major characters.

#47 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

Toqtamish said:

Yes AGoT has several versions of a number of the major characters.

Thanks mate.

#48 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

I'd really like to see a "guarding the shire" scenario. Helping the Dunedain keep the ring safe. The final stage could be trying to keep the black riders out of the shire.

#49 Scoob

Scoob

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

I'd love to explore some of the areas of conflict that The Lord of the Rings hints at, but doesn't get to directly. Things like issues up at Dale and the Iron Mountain, the events in the south that send the people (along with Bill Ferny) migrating through Bree, border skirmishes down towards Umbar...that sort of thing.

#50 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:12 AM

Scoob said:

I'd love to explore some of the areas of conflict that The Lord of the Rings hints at, but doesn't get to directly. Things like issues up at Dale and the Iron Mountain, the events in the south that send the people (along with Bill Ferny) migrating through Bree, border skirmishes down towards Umbar...that sort of thing.

I really like that idea. I'd love to see Harad, Angmar and the far North. ICE did a great job of stuff like that with their games.

#51 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Give me a scenario with the 3 attacks coming out from Dol Guldur at Lothlorien and then the final attack led by Celeborn as the final part of the scenario and i am huppy.Galadriel's final act of power as an image will be my favorite scenario card.

#52 pwvogt

pwvogt

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:49 AM

servant of the secret fire said:

Give me a scenario with the 3 attacks coming out from Dol Guldur at Lothlorien and then the final attack led by Celeborn as the final part of the scenario and i am huppy.Galadriel's final act of power as an image will be my favorite scenario card.

I'll second this, that sounds awesome!

#53 kuffdaddy

kuffdaddy

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

I would really like to see amun muil (SP?) think that could be intersting

#54 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, that's the Fourth Adventure pack of the first series. "Hills of Emyn Muil" I think it's called. Your wish is GRANTED!!!

#55 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:17 AM

@narsi: thanks for the information. Are all the names of the first 6 adventure packs already known?

#56 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:20 AM

Consensus among those with eyesight good enough to decipher the blurry pictures gives us the following six titles.

The Hunt for Gollum
Conflict at the Carrock
A Journey to Rhosgobel
The Hills of Emyn Muil
The Dead Marshes
Return to Mirkwood

#57 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:41 AM

Anyone knows where is that boat?I need the game now i cant wait anymore .

#58 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

Yes I was thinking Balin and his Dwarfs going to Moria and facing against the hordes would be timeline. Balrog could make an appearance then. 

#59 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:06 AM

Bohemond said:

Consensus among those with eyesight good enough to decipher the blurry pictures gives us the following six titles.

The Hunt for Gollum
Conflict at the Carrock
A Journey to Rhosgobel
The Hills of Emyn Muil
The Dead Marshes
Return to Mirkwood

Nice, Thanks! That sounds quite nice actually. I tried to decipher the pic myself but I didn't get far.

@servant: if you're going to get that boat, why don't you bring me a copy, too ;-)

#60 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

faith_star83 said:

@servant: if you're going to get that boat, why don't you bring me a copy, too ;-)

If i remember well you said that you live in Japan and i dont want to come there with what its going on in Japan.

I wish you the best and i hope that you are safe at your place.First goes human life and card games second.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS