Jump to content



Photo

Wish list


  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

    Member

  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:24 AM

 

Wallenstein said:

I think that Saruman (still pose as helper rather than black character)

This is true.Saruman's real strategy at that time was to find the One Ring and keep it for himself but he acts as an ally and he still is the leader of the White Council.



#22 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

    Member

  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

The notable absence from this game for now is...Rings. With the arrival of Bilbo and Gollum we will hopefully also see that magic ring of theirs appear in the first expansion cycle, and then future cycles will hopefully work towards the moment where it is revealed as the One.



#23 BeardFan

BeardFan

    Member

  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:53 AM

 Re: Balrog

A solution for the Balrog could be, not to make him a creature, but a treachery. Something like: when revealed sacrifice a hero. Would make sense, story-wise, wouldn't it. So better put "Fate or Fortune" into your deck 



#24 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

    Member

  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:03 AM

BeardFan said:

 Re: Balrog

A solution for the Balrog could be, not to make him a creature, but a treachery. Something like: when revealed sacrifice a hero. Would make sense, story-wise, wouldn't it. So better put "Fate or Fortune" into your deck 

This is a very good idea.

I have one more solution.FFG can sell N/A and buy the rights for Silmarilion from Tolkien's son and then the joy is endless.We can have armies of Balrog fighting with elves,Beren and Luthien,Valars and Morgoth........

Ok i must wake up now.



#25 rings

rings

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:24 AM

servant of the secret fire said:

In seven years of play i dont remember i 've ever faced a Balrog in a tournament.Troll was the first choise for Moria decks.

I saw the second one rarely - Moria usually had plenty of shadow to pay for some big hitter.  You are right though, usually it was the Troll. 


Oh, King eh? Very nice...

#26 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

    Member

  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

Wallenstein said:

 

 

Fighting with superopponents like Balrog, Smaug etc. is tempting but can lead to situations that they will have bigger characterisctics than usual enemies and that’s all.
Compering to Hill Troll how tough should be Balrog?? 

 

 

I see the very big guns as scenarios in and of themselves, with each Quest card possibly representing a stage of the encounter.



#27 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

    Member

  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

Sisyphus said:

I see the very big guns as scenarios in and of themselves, with each Quest card possibly representing a stage of the encounter.

 

Great idea; a fight with a Balrog could definitely be a quest in itself.



#28 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

    Member

  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

 

rings said:

servant of the secret fire said:

 

In seven years of play i dont remember i 've ever faced a Balrog in a tournament.Troll was the first choise for Moria decks.

 

 

I saw the second one rarely - Moria usually had plenty of shadow to pay for some big hitter.  You are right though, usually it was the Troll. 

Yes also at site 5 you can play Balrog from your hand or your discard pile with -6 cost.

On the other hand Glamdring,Sting,Frying Pan and Power According was an auto win against Moria.



#29 Frog

Frog

    Member

  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

I think this license is the same one that Cubicle-7 has for their One Ring RPG.

If so, this game can use any place, item, character, or creature from..

Hobbit & Appendixes

LOTR & Appendixes

The upcoming One Ring RPG is even set during the same time-frame.

I'm 100% sure you will see the Balrog etc.

But anything else you want from The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, or the 12 volumes of History of Middle Earth are off-limits!

 

 



#30 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

    Member

  • Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

BeardFan said:

 Re: Balrog

A solution for the Balrog could be, not to make him a creature, but a treachery. Something like: when revealed sacrifice a hero. Would make sense, story-wise, wouldn't it. So better put "Fate or Fortune" into your deck 

 

Sub in the word "character" for hero and you've got yourself a difficult yet still winnable scenario.



#31 Bohemond

Bohemond

    Member

  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

qwertyuiop said:

Sub in the word "character" for hero and you've got yourself a difficult yet still winnable scenario.

If you think losing a character is bad, wait until you try the necromancer scenario in the starter. 



#32 Mighty Jim

Mighty Jim

    Member

  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

Frog said:

I think this license is the same one that Cubicle-7 has for their One Ring RPG.

If so, this game can use any place, item, character, or creature from..

Hobbit & Appendixes

LOTR & Appendixes

The upcoming One Ring RPG is even set during the same time-frame.

I'm 100% sure you will see the Balrog etc.

But anything else you want from The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, or the 12 volumes of History of Middle Earth are off-limits!

 

If that's so, then I can see why they'd want to exhaust those before moving onto anything else.

But surely the rights for the Silmarillion are going to be cheaper than those for LOTR? and well worth it if the game proves to be popular in a year or two.

Besides, who doesn't want to have Feanor as your Hero? 4 or 5 for Attack, Defence and Willpower, but with a card text of "every time you use Feanor, deal one point of damage to one of your other heroes"... or something like that, not got it figured out yet, just convinced that a deck full of Noldur would be cool.



#33 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

    Member

  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

Mighty Jim said:

 

Frog said:

 

I think this license is the same one that Cubicle-7 has for their One Ring RPG.

If so, this game can use any place, item, character, or creature from..

Hobbit & Appendixes

LOTR & Appendixes

The upcoming One Ring RPG is even set during the same time-frame.

I'm 100% sure you will see the Balrog etc.

But anything else you want from The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, or the 12 volumes of History of Middle Earth are off-limits!

 

 

 

If that's so, then I can see why they'd want to exhaust those before moving onto anything else.

But surely the rights for the Silmarillion are going to be cheaper than those for LOTR? and well worth it if the game proves to be popular in a year or two.

Besides, who doesn't want to have Feanor as your Hero? 4 or 5 for Attack, Defence and Willpower, but with a card text of "every time you use Feanor, deal one point of damage to one of your other heroes"... or something like that, not got it figured out yet, just convinced that a deck full of Noldur would be cool.

 

 

No mate forget Silmarilion.C.Tolkien owns the rights and nobody can use Silmarilion except him.



#34 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

    Member

  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:02 AM

servant of the secret fire said:

No mate forget Silmarilion.C.Tolkien owns the rights and nobody can use Silmarilion except him.

Yes, the Tolkiens themselves are notoriously unhappy about all these games and there's no way they will ever sanction a game based on stuff they hold the copyrights for.

 



#35 ffgfan

ffgfan

    Member

  • Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:26 AM

Oh, now did not suspected that this topic would become so big.

You know what would be great - a Deluxe expansion for Christmas 2011.



#36 pwvogt

pwvogt

    Member

  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

 I bet we'll be seeing a deluxe expansion before then, probably October - November to get the pre-holiday season bump. 

I like taking the discussion in this direction - what would you like to see for Deluxe Expansions?

I've seen someone here suggest a Hobbit quest line as a deluxe expansion which would be, to be quite honest, amazing. You could have a de-powered Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo, and Thorin as your main three Heroes, and the possibilities for ally would be huge. 

I'd also love to see some battle-specific questlines. I know it's probably outside of the time line, but as an example, a deluxe expansion walking the players through the different phases of the Battle of Helm's Deep would be amazing and fun to basically try to hold out until morning when reinforcements come through.



#37 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

    Member

  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:20 PM

 Yeah, the Hobbit would be neat.  Part of me thinks they'd want to tie such a release into the movie's release, but I'm not sure how far ahead they have the game planned.  Sooner would be better in my book.



#38 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

    Member

  • Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:27 PM

I'm thinking we'll really want a big batch of player cards, whatever the theme is. It seems like we really don't get a lot in the adventure packs. I'm thinking maybe they'll do an expansion based around a specific culture like Rohan, Gondor, Elf, or Dwarf since the Adventure Packs are geographically oriented.



#39 faith_star83

faith_star83

    Member

  • Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

Narsil0420 said:

I'm thinking maybe they'll do an expansion based around a specific culture like Rohan, Gondor, Elf, or Dwarf since the Adventure Packs are geographically oriented.

I had the same thought: The first cycle of Adventure Packs centers on Mirkwood, and if this hints a the concept of the game, we can expect more regions be dealt with future adventure pack cycles.

I expect the first deluxe expansion at the end of Mirkwood cycle, which would be around October?

I think the "Hobbit" theme will be too resourceful: They won't be using it up on a single (deluxe) expansion I'm afraid. Rather I expect either a culture themed expansion or maybe a bigger questline, featuring one big "monster" quest (e.g. mines of moria).



#40 Mighty Jim

Mighty Jim

    Member

  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

ClydeCloggie said:

servant of the secret fire said:

 

No mate forget Silmarilion.C.Tolkien owns the rights and nobody can use Silmarilion except him.

 

 

Yes, the Tolkiens themselves are notoriously unhappy about all these games and there's no way they will ever sanction a game based on stuff they hold the copyrights for.

 

 

Oh I see, so who owns the rights for LOTR / THe Hobbit, if not the Tolkiens?

 

As far as a big expansion goes, I hope they'll keep a decent balance in the cards - The AGOT deluxe expansions have only focused on one house, which makes things a bit skewed until the equivalent comes out for another house. I hope we don't see for example just a "Lore" expansion, or a "tactics" one. Something for each sphere is they way to go.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS