#41 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

@ Amikezor: thank you ::smiling::

@ Avi: ::giggle:: ::purr::

@ everyone: thank you for the help with the wording. I'm updating the Institution right now and post it immediately after

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#42 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

Ok, here is the updated version, with some specifications on combat with Cultists / Maniacs

Just give Photobucket a couple of hours to update the preview of the image, as usual

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#43 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

Ok, third (and hopefully last) version:

#44 skree

skree

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

@Julia what is the name of the pic that you are using it is very provocative.

#45 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

skree said:

@Julia what is the name of the pic that you are using it is very provocative.

Julia's on vacation, she won't be back for a while.

#46 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

@ Avi: thanks for telling our fellow cultist I was AFK for a while

@ Skee: the art was made by Katherine Dinger; not so sure about the name of it; on the site where I found it, it was called simply "Cult Dance"

#47 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9274/oneofthethousandfrontfa.jpg

#48 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:29 AM

Trololo, a complete analisys of your institution is rather complex. Let's start from the beginning (I don't know if I'll be able to finish this right now, but at least, you'll have part of my critique to read at dinner time)

- start of the game: there is something wrong with this. I mean, Cult memberships suck, and being corrupted sucks even more, so I'll never have any of my investigators taking a Membership. Especially if the first gate opening doesn't give any doomer to the AO. Thematically, when playing I care only of two things: sealing, and keeping the doom track low. Hence, if there is an extra chance not to add doomer, I'll go for that. At this point you might leave optional for investigators to become members of the cult at the start of the game, but you should introduce some heavy penalty for not doing so, like: "if none takes a Cult Membership during set up, then all players are cursed" (which is a lot nastier) and get rid of the part saying that no doomer is added for the first gate opening. Even by doing so, you'll have one player taking the membership, but none else (corruptions are bad. I don't know how many games you played with the Black Goat official Herald - the only way to see how corruptions really work - but believe me, they are *bad*)

- initiation rite: this idea is thematically good, I like it. And the missing clues on the locations are compensated by those earnable by players during set-up. I'd probably modify it slightly with "if a player starts ..., then do not place the clue token on that location during set-up", just to preserve the initial distribution of clues as much a possible

- 6 clues for being devoured doesn't work that much. I mean, if I ever had 6 corruptions, I'd love to be devoured. Not only because a character with so many corruptions is rarely helpful to the party, but because many corruptions force you to draw or discard other corruptions. And as soon as the corruption deck is over, the AO awakens. So, killing a character with 6 corruptions is something good for the party. Lower the limit to 4 (and remove the part in which you reshuffle the deck. Corruptions over -> AO awakens) or 3. And not so sure why a woman can't be a Cultist as well. Shall we need to have hooves instead of our feet to be accepted as part of the community? ::laughter::

ok, gotta go. I'll try to comment the other part later!

#49 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

You play for sealing, and being a member of the cult generates you additonal clues for a price. It generates you even more clues as you become closer to the other side. High risks, but with high advantages.

I know corruptions are bad, not all and not that, but mostly they are. The thing is when you discard corruption, you don't discard a token from your membership, so technically an investigator without any corruptions will be devoured if he'll be instructed to draw a corruption card with 5 markers on his membership card. And investigators with cult membership gain benefits from Sweet Corruption depending on number of markers on their membership card, not depending on number of their current corruptions.

Additionally, there is use of your markers from the cult membership if you'll decide to redeem yourself.

Child of the Goat is a cultist, just female.

#50 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Child of the Goat is a cultist, just female.

Sorry, it is not. It's treated like a Cultist, but it's a Hexagon monster. This means it can be removed from the board by gate closing. Besides, it has the additional effect of delaying you on a failed combat check. But anyway, I was just wondering why you cannot have female cultists as well. There is a living proof of female cultist in the Dunwich Horror expansion: one of the investigator (Diana Stanley) is a "redeemed cultist". Just saying.

Besides, I read all the rest of the Institution. Honestly, have you playtested it? For me, it's broken. You should be able to push a little on some rules to win any game pretty easily

Let say all investigators start with a cult membership. They also have a +1 clue. Initiation rite makes them start in locations where they can have cult encounters, and they are delayed! So they can get a Cult encounter, thus they have starting clue tokens +2. Giving every investigator on average of two clue tokens as starting possession, you can have all your investigators ready to seal pretty soon.

#51 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:48 AM

Julia said:

Sorry, it is not. It's treated like a Cultist, but it's a Hexagon monster. This means it can be removed from the board by gate closing. Besides, it has the additional effect of delaying you on a failed combat check. But anyway, I was just wondering why you cannot have female cultists as well. There is a living proof of female cultist in the Dunwich Horror expansion: one of the investigator (Diana Stanley) is a "redeemed cultist". Just saying.

Besides, I read all the rest of the Institution. Honestly, have you playtested it? For me, it's broken. You should be able to push a little on some rules to win any game pretty easily

Let say all investigators start with a cult membership. They also have a +1 clue. Initiation rite makes them start in locations where they can have cult encounters, and they are delayed! So they can get a Cult encounter, thus they have starting clue tokens +2. Giving every investigator on average of two clue tokens as starting possession, you can have all your investigators ready to seal pretty soon.

We're talking about cult of the Black Goat here, she's an obvious member of this cult. I separated male and female transformation just for the theme, nothing sexist here. I know there is female cultists, Diana Stanley was one of first investigators from Arkham Horror I found out about(before buying a game I spent alot of time at the AH wiki, researching).

Im going to playtest it tomorrow, but many cult encounters are dangerous and corruptions begin to hurt you bad as soon as first layer of greens goess off and the reds begin.

And, if you feel this institution really easy to abuse, maybe you should try to combine it with Black Goat of the Woods herald.

#52 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

We're talking about cult of the Black Goat here, she's an obvious member of this cult. I separated male and female transformation just for the theme, nothing sexist here. I know there is female cultists, Diana Stanley was one of first investigators from Arkham Horror I found out about(before buying a game I spent alot of time at the AH wiki, researching).

Im going to playtest it tomorrow, but many cult encounters are dangerous and corruptions begin to hurt you bad as soon as first layer of greens goess off and the reds begin.

And, if you feel this institution really easy to abuse, maybe you should try to combine it with Black Goat of the Woods herald.

First interesting point: it's not said that you have to use an Institution with a certain Herald. Whenever you create custom stuff, you should try to make something universal, so that it's the most enjoyable for everyone, under any circumstances. So, when I give feedback on something, I try to focus only on that "something", unless it's specified you have to use it with something else. Most of the people playing Arkham don't like playing with the Black Goat Herald, because it's too brutal (the only two people I know who are happy about it are me and Dam), so it's likely that your Insitution can be used by other people without the Herald. And it'd be nice too having something enhancing the Cult without necessarily play with the Herald. It'd add a lot of theme to the game (that's what I tried to do with my custom Institution devoted to this, and what I'm trying to do with the next one I'm working on, an Innsmouth-related classified project). As a side point, I'd say that the two clues allowing you not to deal with Hex monsters is a good way to limit the Black Goat Herald powers, since he's most terrifying ability is filling your characters with Corruptions after killing Hex monsters.

Second interesting point: are you playtesting it with or without the Cult Encounters from MH? They change the balance of the Cult Encounters deck.

Third point: how are you playtesting it? If you want to see how the Insitution works, you should go for an Azathoth game (no influence on the game). And try both configuration: none taking the Cult membership at the start of the game (which is still the most logic thing to do for me if you don't change the Start of the game condition), and everyone taking it. Which is the condition for having a character able to ignore all Hex monsters already at the Start of the game.

And, Trololo, as a personal note, remember, none is attacking your knowledge of the game or the way you play. It seems like you're a little upset for my critiques, and I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. What I can say, is that knowing the game and playing the game are different things. At the moment I've more or less 130 AH games under my belt. This year I played 37 games, losing only 3 of them (8 defeats out of 88 games played in the last two years). And I still feel I have to learn a lot of things, on balance, strategy and so on. It was only yestarday that I found out a good strategy to beat Dagon. So, my suggestion is: work on the little things. Step by step. You've created something interesting, but changing a lot the balance of the game. If you feel it's good, go ahead, but try to work on it in order it works properly :-)

And post a report of your playtesting sessions, if you want! The community is always eager to read stories, and we can see how the Institution works

#53 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

I didn't said you must plau with the Black Goat of the Woods, I just thought that it would fix the easiness of institutution until I do.

Without  the MH, I'm yet to gather enough money to finish my AH collection(Im missing DH, KH and MH).

How does it change balance of the cult? Adds more positive moments?

As for the test itself, I'm gathering my regular gaming group and we'll play with the random AO and everyone will decide about the cult membership on their own. Yea, it's bad for the playetest. I'll research it with the Azathoth later on. Or maybe before the tommorow game.

I'm not upset, I'm just a passionate discusser. I'm sorry you got bad feeling about me.

Ah, almost gorget. The benefit of ignoring the hexagon monsters starts from the 2 markers at the cult card. But joining the cult grants you only one. First encounter doesn't necessarily brings you the second corruptions. How did you calculated that?

#54 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:19 AM

Herald: Got it. I'll wait your feedback on the playtesting sessions, then. Just remember, I'm not saying it's easy, but I'm afraid it can be spoiled. And I'm not so sure what's your intent. Custom material can:

a) add theme to the game
b) boost the difficulty of the game
c) make the game easier

to me at the moment is not completely clear what you had in mind with this. Generally speaking, existing Institutions are similar to Guardians, mixing a) and c). When reading through your Institution, it seems that it's a strange mixture of b) and c), and this makes the influence of the Institution on the game completely unpredictable

Expansions and Encounters: I thought you had all but DH. MH changes quite a bit everything, adding some encounters able to justify your reason to join the Cult. You do something bad for a certain reward what will benefit everyone. But I'm adding very slowly MH elements to my games, so I haven't playtested the new encounters by myself yet, I'm just referring some notes read here and there

Passionate debates: very welcome. I'm glad we cleared this. I'm a passionate debater too, so I will interpret your words in this way. Thanks for clarifying

Second clue: start of the game, all players become Cult members. According to your Institution, this should grand the second corruption to the first player. The second corruption brings you the second clue on the membership. Thus Hex monsters can be ignored by the first player (who can now become the main sealer). Am I correct?

#55 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:26 AM

Julia said:

Herald: Got it. I'll wait your feedback on the playtesting sessions, then. Just remember, I'm not saying it's easy, but I'm afraid it can be spoiled. And I'm not so sure what's your intent. Custom material can:

a) add theme to the game
b) boost the difficulty of the game
c) make the game easier

to me at the moment is not completely clear what you had in mind with this. Generally speaking, existing Institutions are similar to Guardians, mixing a) and c). When reading through your Institution, it seems that it's a strange mixture of b) and c), and this makes the influence of the Institution on the game completely unpredictable

Well, I tried to add theme to the game. Them of the cult. Something that would make people want to join the cult despite all of it dangers and perils. This is sort of neutral institution, which brings it's bonuses and penalties, free to use by anybody.

Julia said:

Expansions and Encounters: I thought you had all but DH. MH changes quite a bit everything, adding some encounters able to justify your reason to join the Cult. You do something bad for a certain reward what will benefit everyone. But I'm adding very slowly MH elements to my games, so I haven't playtested the new encounters by myself yet, I'm just referring some notes read here and there

I wish I had

Julia said:

Second clue: start of the game, all players become Cult members. According to your Institution, this should grand the second corruption to the first player. The second corruption brings you the second clue on the membership. Thus Hex monsters can be ignored by the first player (who can now become the main sealer). Am I correct?

Oh, yes, I just misunderstood you. I was thinking you said that ALL Investigators start with 2 corruptions.

I'm going through solo playtest of this institution right now, playing 4 investigators and Chtuga as AO.

Took 2 cult memberships at the start according to character aligment. Downward spiral is brutal, One almost got turned into cultist.

Already have some tweaks in mind.

#56 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

New, slightly updated version:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9274/oneofthethousandfrontfa.jpg

#57 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

What if none takes the membership, but at least one of the investigators has no starting clues?

#58 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

This has no effect on those who has no starting clues obviously. 

#59 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,545 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

This has no effect on those who has no starting clues obviously. 

Not so obvious, generally speaking is not rare in Arkham a bigger penalty falls on the head of those who cannot do something! Maybe you should introduce the "if able" clause before the discarding clues stuff

How did the playtesting session go?

#60 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:56 AM

Julia said:

How did the playtesting session go?

Session was great.

Darrell(me), Pete, Monterey and Hank vs Yog-Sothoth.

I intentionally refused to be involved with a cult to be sort of independed spectator but starting clue and $ reward was very tempting for others.

But they didn't risked at it too much. Hank was lucky to gain Endless Greed and Retainer on the following turn at the Newspaper, discarding this corruption a bit later before it was even triggered. Others discarded their starting corruptions pretty fast too, without taking much harm from them.

We all are new, that's why Yog still awakened with 4 Elder Signs on the board(2 of which were from me, one from Elder Sign unqiue item from the random possessions, and one from the exhibit item deck I randomly got ruing one Arkham event).

Monterey tried to get additional gate trophy before the awakening but got LiTaS instead and was devoured.

On next turn Yog awakened and the fight begin. In the end, one left undevoured rolled two sixes with shotgun, when there was 3 remaining successes to inflict. To say, it's was Hank, he survived whole fight with 1 gate trophy and maximum Fight. He's a hero.

To say, it was poor institution test, but a great game overall. I asked 2 my friend to come to me tommorow to test specifically this institution.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS