Custom Institutions

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#21 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:05 AM

I like those a lot.  I was going to make something for a "financial institution", much like the second one.  Hopefully you can find some good pictures.

#22 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:10 AM

Another institution idea...  I borrowed the "Commitments" mechanic from the Church institution.  Not sure if a Curse is as appropriate a penalty for that, but anyway...

#23 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

Grudunza said:

Another institution idea...  I borrowed the "Commitments" mechanic from the Church institution.  Not sure if a Curse is as appropriate a penalty for that, but anyway...

I don't normally comment on guardianish type creations, but I did want to point out that Friends Stick Together is a broken ability.  It will allow you to take out any monster on the board easily, probably even The Dunwich Horror (free Elder Sign, no).  It will completely ruin combat.  If you wanted to make it +1 to all checks on a shared location or shared neighborhood, that would be okay though.

#24 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

Yup, you're right.  Just a first thought... trying to do something a little different (and stronger) than the similar Relationship.

#25 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

Updated (should reflect above soon).

I also changed "Commitments" so the penalty is 1 Sanity loss and being delayed.  Seemed like a better fit than being Cursed. Thematically, you remember something you were supposed to take care of back at Home, or something important you missed out on (kid's baseball game), and it drives you a little crazy.

#26 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:24 AM

Grudunza said:

I also changed "Commitments" so the penalty is 1 Sanity loss and being delayed.  Seemed like a better fit than being Cursed. Thematically, you remember something you were supposed to take care of back at Home, or something important you missed out on (kid's baseball game), and it drives you a little crazy.

My presumption was that you had a very clingy family who practiced voodoo.

#27 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

Avi_dreader said:

Grudunza said:

Ha, no doubt.

#28 Veet

Veet

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Avi_dreader said:

I can safely say from first hand experience that a family of Baptists can be just as sanity draining.

#29 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:19 AM

Veet said:

Avi_dreader said:

I can safely say from first hand experience that a family of Baptists can be just as sanity draining.

::Laughter:: lose one sanity if you stay away, lose two if you go.

#30 Veet

Veet

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

I updated the Cult of the Thousand institution. Now its trigger is linked to cultists and it can give you corruption.

#31 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:10 AM

Nice move.

Though, will it ever happen that the investigator did not killed the cultist at the encounter phase ? Why not doing this instead of having a combat with a cultist.

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#32 Veet

Veet

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:40 AM

Combat with the cultist is not needed they only have to be present, also since they are elusive they will be sticking around a lot more, elusive cultists can be hard to catch with their -3 awareness.

#33 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:36 AM

Veet said:

[...] also since they are elusive [...] .

I do not know how but I did not see that point that makes perfect sense :)

#34 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

I tried to create my first Institution, to boost a little the Cult dynamics in Arkham. I tried to follow Amikezor (very good!) suggestion of using an Institution to create a mood for playing. I hope this is thematically coherent. Here we go:

As always, feedback is very welcome

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#35 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

I really like that, however there are few little things that could be clearer:

1) Who gets the Cult Membership at the beginning of the game?  Perhaps you should clarify it so the First Player recieves a Cult Membership.

2) Under whispering in Darkness, you say it's a gift to the 'Church' - you should change that to 'Cult' as Church would be confusing with the South Church location - not a big deal, just a little one.

3) The rules for Curses/Corruptions are a little unclear.  You could clarify it by having it read "If he is already Cursed, then he takes a Corruption." or "The Player must choose to be Cursed or take a Corruption."

#36 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

Master Fwiffo said:

1) Who gets the Cult Membership at the beginning of the game?  Perhaps you should clarify it so the First Player recieves a Cult Membership.

2) Under whispering in Darkness, you say it's a gift to the 'Church' - you should change that to 'Cult' as Church would be confusing with the South Church location - not a big deal, just a little one.

3) The rules for Curses/Corruptions are a little unclear.  You could clarify it by having it read "If he is already Cursed, then he takes a Corruption." or "The Player must choose to be Cursed or take a Corruption."

Hello Master Fwiffo,

1. The Cult Membership at the beginning of the game is randomly distributed. I'll clarify this on the final version of the Institution (at the moment, this is just a first draft)

2. I'll change it into "their Church", to avoid misunderstandings (the description of this Institution is "Church of the Black Goat", so by using "their" instead of "the" I should clarify any ambiguity"

3. An investigator killing a Cultist can be member of the Cult, or not. In case he is, he's Cursed (Shub doesn't like her devoted men to kill her worshippers), in case he is not, he's Corrupted (since the investigator is touched by an obscure power he doesn't have the skill to handle)

thank you for the feedback :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#37 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

nice version of the goat cult :)

#38 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

Julia said:

Master Fwiffo said:

Hello Master Fwiffo,

1. The Cult Membership at the beginning of the game is randomly distributed. I'll clarify this on the final version of the Institution (at the moment, this is just a first draft)

2. I'll change it into "their Church", to avoid misunderstandings (the description of this Institution is "Church of the Black Goat", so by using "their" instead of "the" I should clarify any ambiguity"

3. An investigator killing a Cultist can be member of the Cult, or not. In case he is, he's Cursed (Shub doesn't like her devoted men to kill her worshippers), in case he is not, he's Corrupted (since the investigator is touched by an obscure power he doesn't have the skill to handle)

thank you for the feedback :-)

Ah, I understand number 3 now (though it took a couple reads to understand).  You could clarify it by having it read "If an Investigator kills a Cultist, he takes a Corruption.  If he is a member of the Cult, he is Cursed instead."

#39 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

Master Fwiffo said:

Ah, I understand number 3 now (though it took a couple reads to understand).  You could clarify it by having it read "If an Investigator kills a Cultist, he takes a Corruption.  If he is a member of the Cult, he is Cursed instead."

Investigators who kill a Cultist take a corruption, but if they are a member of the Cult are cursed instead. [slightly shorter and gender neutral]  Thanks for suggesting the template for the phrasing though (made it much easier to think through).

#40 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

amikezor said:

nice version of the goat cult :)

Once it's finished, I think I'm going to incorporate it into most of my games (at least ones that don't involve massively modified cultists, or my Black Goat herald).  Very fun, and thematic.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS