Jump to content



Photo

FFG on the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Revised Edition


  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 HyeJinx1984

HyeJinx1984

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

I just wanna say the original CotDP box art owns the new one :P



#22 tokse

tokse

    Member

  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:46 AM

The Spaniard said:

- 69 of 76 Investigator related cards are new
- 56 of 90 Ancient One or Environment cards are new

What do you mean by new cards? Is it just some small changes and reformulations or is it cards with a whole new content, new artworks etc that could be used together with cards from the first CotDP expansion?



#23 Solan

Solan

    Member

  • Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:34 AM

tokse said:

The Spaniard said:

 

- 69 of 76 Investigator related cards are new
- 56 of 90 Ancient One or Environment cards are new

 

What do you mean by new cards? Is it just some small changes and reformulations or is it cards with a whole new content, new artworks etc that could be used together with cards from the first CotDP expansion?

Given the three cards previewed for us, I believe I can make an educated guess as to the answers.  New might mean brand-new, like the Exhibit Encounters.  New can also mean changing the text of the cards, such as apparently making the Mask of the Black Pharaoh do something completely different.  What new almost certainly does NOT mean is new artwork; witness that the illustrations for the new Tainted and Mask of the Black Pharaoh cards are exactly the same as the original.   For whatever reason (cost, time, convenience, etc.) new artwork is what FFG is the most reluctant to produce.  That's why, for example, the illustration for Kingsport's Brazier of Souls is exactly the same as for the King in Yellow's Storm of Spirits.  Fortunately for me I never minded the artwork for CotDP.   



#24 faith_star83

faith_star83

    Member

  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:46 PM

I read a lot of oppinions that concern this update. For me luckily I was playing around with the idea of buying the CotDP Expansion in near future, so I will gladly wait for the revision to come out. You could say it gave me the final nudge to go out there and buy it (once its out).


I think I understand why ffg came up with this decision, and it probably wasn't an easy one, since such revisions always upset people that purchased the old expansion already or just awhile ago. It is always difficult to make it right for everyone, but I think this has been a good decision and ffg seems to have put in a lot of effort to make an upgrade from the previous version worthwhile.



#25 North_Wolf

North_Wolf

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:56 AM

I really enjoyed the theme of the DP expansion and had some good times playing it (despite knowing that it was clunky and unwealdy compared to the rest - the forum maniacs here and on BBG helped alot in getting the most out of it rules wise). 

Arkham Horror got me back into board games and I have every single expansion that has been made for it (want the mini´s later). 

I was a bit concerned about a new edition of DP but I am quite happy with the explanation given.

Seems that the new expansions will continue to build on the game and let us get the most out of existing content.  That is a fantastic direction to take and I will continue to support the series for a long time to come.

 

The only thing I dread is a reboot or a third edition, since that often seems like a cheap way of cashing anew after a long series of expansion (making what you have out of date) I´m glad that FFG is not adopting that plan and is nurturing the AH series instead.  :)

 

 

 



#26 HyeJinx1984

HyeJinx1984

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:58 AM

North_Wolf said:

I really enjoyed the theme of the DP expansion and had some good times playing it (despite knowing that it was clunky and unwealdy compared to the rest - the forum maniacs here and on BBG helped alot in getting the most out of it rules wise). 

Arkham Horror got me back into board games and I have every single expansion that has been made for it (want the mini´s later). 

I was a bit concerned about a new edition of DP but I am quite happy with the explanation given.

Seems that the new expansions will continue to build on the game and let us get the most out of existing content.  That is a fantastic direction to take and I will continue to support the series for a long time to come.

 

The only thing I dread is a reboot or a third edition, since that often seems like a cheap way of cashing anew after a long series of expansion (making what you have out of date) I´m glad that FFG is not adopting that plan and is nurturing the AH series instead.  :)

 

Pretty much agree with everything here. I much prefer just updating or revising stuff when needed and expanding the existing game as opposed to just starting up a third edition, which would surely kill this game and have a lot of people just leave all together. A similar situation, I guess, is what White Wolf did with their World of Darkness franchise... scrapping Vampire: The Masquerade and the other brands in that line and started up a new World of Darkness with Requiem and a bunch of new games... and the minute they did that was when I and I'm sure a lot of people just left the company's side. Starting all over from scratch is very jarring for long time customers.



#27 North_Wolf

North_Wolf

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

HyeJinx1984 said:

North_Wolf said:

 

I really enjoyed the theme of the DP expansion and had some good times playing it (despite knowing that it was clunky and unwealdy compared to the rest - the forum maniacs here and on BBG helped alot in getting the most out of it rules wise). 

Arkham Horror got me back into board games and I have every single expansion that has been made for it (want the mini´s later). 

I was a bit concerned about a new edition of DP but I am quite happy with the explanation given.

Seems that the new expansions will continue to build on the game and let us get the most out of existing content.  That is a fantastic direction to take and I will continue to support the series for a long time to come.

 

The only thing I dread is a reboot or a third edition, since that often seems like a cheap way of cashing anew after a long series of expansion (making what you have out of date) I´m glad that FFG is not adopting that plan and is nurturing the AH series instead.  :)

 

 

 

Pretty much agree with everything here. I much prefer just updating or revising stuff when needed and expanding the existing game as opposed to just starting up a third edition, which would surely kill this game and have a lot of people just leave all together. A similar situation, I guess, is what White Wolf did with their World of Darkness franchise... scrapping Vampire: The Masquerade and the other brands in that line and started up a new World of Darkness with Requiem and a bunch of new games... and the minute they did that was when I and I'm sure a lot of people just left the company's side. Starting all over from scratch is very jarring for long time customers.

 

Funny you mentioned White Wolf.  :D  I had collected every vampire book then, and I was working on completing Wraith and Werewolf when reboot happened and I never looked back or bought another one.

 

 



#28 Taeblewalker

Taeblewalker

    Member

  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:29 AM

I'm happy with the expansion, from what I see.  I am willing to forgive FFG for the initial release, seeing as it was the first expansion, and that they hit their stride with the later ones.



#29 Veet

Veet

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:06 AM

North_Wolf said:

Funny you mentioned White Wolf.  :D  I had collected every vampire book then, and I was working on completing Wraith and Werewolf when reboot happened and I never looked back or bought another one.

 

There is a flip side to this coin too, new editions bring in new customers. Using the White Wolf example I began collecting Exalted right before they released their 2nd edition, I wasn't very invested in it so I shifted gears. Of course now I'm invested in 2nd edition and probably wouldn't shift to a 3rd if they did but they have my money and it's now their job to get someone elses it's just how business works. Also its a common part of the human thought process to want our investments to pay off so we tend to stick with them and avoid shifting focus even if it doesn't make sense. I'm not suggesting that not wanting to shift to a new edition of a game doesn't make sense by the way since even an out dated game still functions the same. However I do not think we are currently in any danger of Arkham going into a 2nd edition at this point in time.



#30 HyeJinx1984

HyeJinx1984

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:20 AM

North_Wolf said:

 

 

 

Funny you mentioned White Wolf.  :D  I had collected every vampire book then, and I was working on completing Wraith and Werewolf when reboot happened and I never looked back or bought another one.

  

 

 

 

Yea, I viewed the publishing of Requiem and all the other NWoD stuff as White Wolf's way of saying "Alright, we want to move on to a new customer-base, so goodbye you guys!" and I said goodbye back... of course, they may be regretting this since it seems there's a move BACK towards the Old World of Darkness, what with an MMO coming out that takes place in that and NOT their new one...



#31 Deek

Deek

    Member

  • Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

I'm stoked for the CotDP re-release ... though I'd honestly prefer a tear-down-total-rebuild BGotW revision. It's the one small box that rarely sees love in my circles, which is a shame 'cause I love me some Shub. So much potential there! Hook me up with a cult mechanic that works, then we'll talk!



#32 Veet

Veet

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

We haven't yet seen what Miskatonic Horror is going to do to Black Goat. They do seem to be trying to attack dilution in all the expansions through both the rewrite and MH so BG may get some love there.



#33 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

    Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

  • Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Veet said:

 

We haven't yet seen what Miskatonic Horror is going to do to Black Goat. They do seem to be trying to attack dilution in all the expansions through both the rewrite and MH so BG may get some love there.

 

 

One hopes.  It can't get much worse ;') (though I love Black Goat because it has so many great components for customization, I don't enjoy playing it as it was designed at all).



#34 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

    Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

  • Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

Innsmouth13 said:

 

Avi_dreader said:

 

Innsmouth13 said:

 

 Thanks for the post.  So if I understand correctly, those of us with the old version can either just forget about the new version play with itgrinbear the fact that if we want the updates we need to purchase the newer version.    I am excited for it but still don't know if I will buy it.  Maybe after I get Miskatonic Horror.

 

 

Basically our old version's will be scrapped, but that's not necessarily a bad thing,the patrols sound very fun (as does an exhibit item distribution method that will actually work).

 

 

OK Avi, I'll get it cause I like CotDPby rereading the Miskatonic Horror teasers I think I'll get the New one when my future wife isn't with me (She doesn't understand my love with the game cause she hasn't played it yet.  Fun fact: All the boards combined are longer then her 

 

 

She probably doesn't like the game because she has height envy ;'D

...

Wait a second...  I think the boards might be taller than me too (when stacked flat I mean).

...

Now I hate this game!



#35 HyeJinx1984

HyeJinx1984

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

Alright, I just had to check it after seeing these comments... and, HA! I'm still taller than all the boards next to each other! (but only by about 4 inches...)

 



#36 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

    Member

  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:47 AM

Deek said:

 I love me some Shub.

Thank you very much



#37 silonce

silonce

    Member

  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

 im looking forward to this revised edition

 

as a relative new arkham player, (2yrs) using a friends box, i went out on my own and have been snapping up the expansions in reverse order

so when reading about the plans for cotdpr made me happy



#38 limiter3118

limiter3118

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

HyeJinx1984 said:

North_Wolf said:

 

I really enjoyed the theme of the DP expansion and had some good times playing it (despite knowing that it was clunky and unwealdy compared to the rest - the forum maniacs here and on BBG helped alot in getting the most out of it rules wise). 

Arkham Horror got me back into board games and I have every single expansion that has been made for it (want the mini´s later). 

I was a bit concerned about a new edition of DP but I am quite happy with the explanation given.

Seems that the new expansions will continue to build on the game and let us get the most out of existing content.  That is a fantastic direction to take and I will continue to support the series for a long time to come.

 

The only thing I dread is a reboot or a third edition, since that often seems like a cheap way of cashing anew after a long series of expansion (making what you have out of date) I´m glad that FFG is not adopting that plan and is nurturing the AH series instead.  :)

 

 

 

Pretty much agree with everything here. I much prefer just updating or revising stuff when needed and expanding the existing game as opposed to just starting up a third edition, which would surely kill this game and have a lot of people just leave all together. A similar situation, I guess, is what White Wolf did with their World of Darkness franchise... scrapping Vampire: The Masquerade and the other brands in that line and started up a new World of Darkness with Requiem and a bunch of new games... and the minute they did that was when I and I'm sure a lot of people just left the company's side. Starting all over from scratch is very jarring for long time customers.

I totally agree - Requiem annoyed the hell out of me as well, although I wonder if they plan on going back to Masquerade: there are putting out an (expensive) limited edition (pre-order only) 20th anniversary edition of Masqurade with all Clans/Bloodlines/Disciplines in it, as well as PDF of integrating Requiem with Masquerade.

On the topic of Arkham, I always thought DP, recieved a little more heat then was neccesary from the fans and was an underrated expansion; that being said, I'm very excited to see it rounded out more with the Revised edition.  It's a good thing that my wife's favorite game is AH, so I can justify getting both the Miskatonic University Expansion and Revised COTDP. :)



#39 limiter3118

limiter3118

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

Unknown said:

 I would actually LOVE a reboot/3rd edition, as 2nd edition is pretty dated compared to newer FFG games.

How so?



#40 Tibs

Tibs

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

Ignore that post, limiter. That poster was a troll.

The reason his name is "Unknown" was that he was deleted from the system.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS