Jump to content



Photo

Two Core Sets for Four Players?


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 DrNate

DrNate

    Member

  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:02 AM

Yeah, all those useless cards is what will probably make me go to ebay for extras that I need instead of a second full set. Because I know I am going to want more cards...scratch that, NEED more cards, my precious! But I suspect I can do better that way. Well, I'll know for sure once I have them in hand. I sure would love to have a basic 3 of each playset without having to throw away hundreds of cards.  I guess that is the nature of all trading card games, though.

Why is it, every time i use the word "a-n-d" that the forum eats it? Do I have some setting on that needs to be turned off? It is hard to write posts without using such a basic word.



#22 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:29 AM

Honestly I found with 2 GoT core sets I had little waste. Put 1 of each card in my binders gave any extras to friends to get them started hooked into the game. Went from just me to 5 players in a couple months. Give em a taste they wants more.



#23 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:37 AM

Toqtamish said:

Honestly I found with 2 GoT core sets I had little waste.

Anything to do with AGoT is a colossal waste in my book .


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#24 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:41 AM

To each their own. But don't really need to trash others game choices.



#25 DrNate

DrNate

    Member

  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

I'm guessing that AGoT has fewer cards that are just one needed than LotR will have. I could be wrong, who knows?

I will try your idea. I can think of at least one person who might like to have some Lord of the Rings extra cards that I don't need when...I mean IF I end up buying multiple core sets. IF.

I'm not addicted to a card game that isn't even out yet...I'm not...



#26 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

You might as well admit you are. We all are.



#27 pumpkin

pumpkin

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

DrNate said:

Yeah, all those useless cards is what will probably make me go to ebay for extras that I need instead of a second full set. Because I know I am going to want more cards...scratch that, NEED more cards, my precious! But I suspect I can do better that way. Well, I'll know for sure once I have them in hand. I sure would love to have a basic 3 of each playset without having to throw away hundreds of cards.  I guess that is the nature of all trading card games, though.

Why is it, every time i use the word "a-n-d" that the forum eats it? Do I have some setting on that needs to be turned off? It is hard to write posts without using such a basic word.

Except in this case everyone might also think the same way as no one is going to want to have quest card doubles as no one will buy them on e-bay! I really do think FFG should think about a way of getting an upgrade for the core set to up the number of all the players cards to three.

The idea of the LCG is supposed to get away from the idea of having hundreds of wasted cards,the epxansion packs reoslve this, but then seem to not quite have got it right for core sets (yet).

The forum was eating the word a-n-d as well as the word o-r from my posts; its wierd, ain't it... very recent occurrence, it never used to do it!



#28 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

It has been doing it to me too. I keep having to go back to edit my posts.

As for the complaints about core set, its been done on all of the forums for all the LCG's and FFG has yet to change it. But if you do what I did and give the extras to friends you will find it helps clear out extra unwanted stuff it gets your friends hooked too. And then if they do get their own core set they can do the same with their extras, starts a snowball effect of bringing in new players.



#29 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

    Member

  • Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

Dam said:

Toqtamish said:

 

Honestly I found with 2 GoT core sets I had little waste.

 

 

Anything to do with AGoT is a colossal waste in my book .

 

Wanna buy my AGoT?



#30 nelsonbaggins

nelsonbaggins

    Member

  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:24 AM

EnigmaKnight said:

I guess my main problem with the way this is set up, is that with my second purchase of a core set, I am buying, quest, encounter,hero cards that I will never use,that it was designed that way.  I will likely still buy the second set, but I wish a four player expansion had been thought of, to keep us from paying for wasted cards. 

 

I agree.  I'm a casual player and just game with my two boys.  It seems really stupid to spend another 40 bucks just to get the dial trackers and tokens.  The expansion packs will provide plenty of cards, so no worries there.  I could really care less about having three of each card as well.  It's been difficult just trying to figure out how to buy this product for casual play, too.  FFG recommends 2 core sets, which is why I thought it was necessary.  But I can use pencil and paper and other tokens if necessary.  I don't understand why they didn't just include enough in the core set for 4 people or at least offer an expansion.  Really poor idea on their part.  The game looks awesome, but the underhanded marketing scheme to sell more product than is necessary really turns me off. :( 

 

Wasn't transparency supposed to be the whole point of LCG? 



#31 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:31 AM

I will say it again. You do not need two core sets of any of the LCG's. I spent a year with AGoT with only one and now I have only two. Once some adventure packs come out for LotR you will have more than enough cards.

Just buy one core set for now. Then later on if you feel the need get another but I don't think you will ever NEED a second one. Especially if you are just playing casually with your kids. The only people that will need extra core sets are the completists and those who want to play competitively.

LCG's are transparent. You know what you are buying every time you buy one. You get at least one of every single card. No other card games other than deck builiding ones can make that claim and no TCG/CCG can at all.



#32 conykchameleon

conykchameleon

    Member

  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:02 AM

But there's one reason why you might want to buy a second core set that no one seems to be talking about: customizing the encounter deck. To me the draw of this game (besides all of the obvious ones) is that you can continually balance it to your liking. You customize your player decks to conquer the encounter deck, and then you customize the encounter deck to conquer the player decks, and on and on for virtually infinite replay value. It doesn't seem like you could do much customizing of the encounter deck with just one core set (granted, my copies are still on their way).



#33 jhaelen

jhaelen

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

conykchameleon said:

But there's one reason why you might want to buy a second core set that no one seems to be talking about: customizing the encounter deck. To me the draw of this game (besides all of the obvious ones) is that you can continually balance it to your liking. You customize your player decks to conquer the encounter deck, and then you customize the encounter deck to conquer the player decks, and on and on for virtually infinite replay value. It doesn't seem like you could do much customizing of the encounter deck with just one core set (granted, my copies are still on their way).

I'd rather wait for the new cards in the APs. The more different cards there are the more possibilities you have to customize stuff. I enjoy using semi-random decks, i.e. there's a core of about 36 cards (12x3) that are fixed and have been carefully selected to work well together. Then I add 14 random cards (of the same factions used in the fixed deck). This creates decks that work pretty well but still have this fun surprise factor that can force you to come up with new combos or just play cards you'd otherwise never use.

I think this should work marvelously with encounter decks: Use a fixed base (i.e. the standard encounter deck) then add a bunch of random cards from the other APs. Maybe you'd have to tweak some other things to make it work well, e.g. to compensate for a bigger encounter deck, but I'm sure it's doable.



#34 nelsonbaggins

nelsonbaggins

    Member

  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

Eh, maybe I won't even want to go three player anyway.  I wonder if the game gets more complex and takes longer if you go beyond 2 player.  It might be simpler just to play 2 player games anyhow. 



#35 Acererak

Acererak

    Member

  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:26 PM

I am not usually a fan of FFG marketing strategies, but in this case I think that given this game can be played solo quite well, buying two core sets if you have four friends to play with is not a waste of cards. Just let one of your friends take the extra Encounter/Quest cards back home to train up his deck handling abilities a bit for next gaming session.

 

And having a fairly succesful single sphere deck definitely needs two sets. Most cards (the best ones usually) of each Sphere don´t come with three copies. You want those for the hard quests for sure.

 

 



#36 nelsonbaggins

nelsonbaggins

    Member

  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

Acererak said:

And having a fairly succesful single sphere deck definitely needs two sets. Most cards (the best ones usually) of each Sphere don´t come with three copies. You want those for the hard quests for sure.

So does that mean there is actually a purpose in having three sets?  I'm still confused on that as well.  I thought the new LCG format was going to have 3 copies of every card.  Will the Adventure Packs for LOTR be back to having single copies now? 



#37 Watcher

Watcher

    Member

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

nelsonbaggins said:

 

Acererak said:

 

And having a fairly succesful single sphere deck definitely needs two sets. Most cards (the best ones usually) of each Sphere don´t come with three copies. You want those for the hard quests for sure.

 

 

So does that mean there is actually a purpose in having three sets?  I'm still confused on that as well.  I thought the new LCG format was going to have 3 copies of every card.  Will the Adventure Packs for LOTR be back to having single copies now? 

 

 

No, no..  nothing is changing. The Adventure Packs will continue to have 3 copies of each card.

 

The Core Sets have NEVER contained three of each card. That's why people who are in the competitive games buy multiple sets of the Core Games. But that only applies to the Core Sets  in the other of the LCGs. The rationale for doing in Lord of the Rings is having enough cards to serve the needs of 4 players (though as has been discussed, there will still be some extras).

 

In fact, in Call of Cthulthu, they are reprinting some of the original CCG "packs" (from before the LCG concept was implemented) to have three of each card, whereas before they only had one.



#38 jhaelen

jhaelen

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

Watcher said:

No, no..  nothing is changing. The Adventure Packs will continue to have 3 copies of each card.

 

minor correction: They will have three copies of all player cards (excepting Heroes which will come with a single copy each). Encounter cards can come in any number, assumably from 1 to 5, just as they do in the core set.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS