• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Siranui

Siranui

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:17 AM

MILLANDSON said:

For 40 requisition, the most you can get is a power sword and a storm bolter. It costs increasingly more to get the other gear.

Although master wargear is 40 points, giving in theory a pool of 60 points to arm the suit, given both wargear talents have been bought.

#22 MexicanNinja

MexicanNinja

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

No, Signature wargear master allows you to add the mastercraft ability available to the chosen item OR you may choose to have a signature wargear with a cost of 40 requisition and below and the correct renown ranking.  You don't get to pool the two together for a requisition total of 60.

#23 Siranui

Siranui

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

40 for the master wargear, plus another 20 for the second wargear that you can buy at rank...6 is it? That gives you two bits: One worth 40 and one worth 20.

#24 aussieyobbo

aussieyobbo

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

Erratta questions and answers clearly states you cannot get terminator armour as signature wargear

#25 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

WARNING: Necro posting for shameless plugging detected.

#26 Fezzek

Fezzek

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

yeah it says you must also spend points on arming terminator armor, why doesnt it say that about artificer armor or regular power armor for that matter.  All 3 versions must be armed, unless you want to go around punching the heretek, the alien. . .  

once my group gets up to that level i will allow them to sig. terminator armor.  However, using it all the time will cost them.   Terminator armor simply will not work in certain situations and would make completing the objective impossible.  Unless it were vital for the mission I would not put my assault marine in terminator armor, to slow, to big, to noisy.  Jump packs only make noise when you're using them.

#27 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Terminator Armor does not work with Standard Issue Wargear. You don't just pick up a gun with Terminator Armor, it integrates with the weapons in a more complicated fashion and has a pickier Machine Spirit, which is why only certain weapons can be used with it, and why the cost of the Armor is thus higher than 70 Requisition - you HAVE to get certain weapons with it as a package deal.

#28 Kamikazzijoe

Kamikazzijoe

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Per the errata you can not use signature wargear to get terminator armor as the 100 is a packaged deal and can't be broken up.

#29 bucketheadklunk

bucketheadklunk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

So I am trying to teach myself the whole system before Gencon playing one on one with my kid.  I have enough of the gist of it from playing the board game and my other RPG games but the signature war gear is getting me a bit.  It seems like the signature war gear is a waste of time at rank 1 because it doesn't seem like you can earn enough renown before hitting rank 2 to become respected, yet I see people posting about rank 1 characters adding stom bolters.  I am working on my character for gencon right now.  Fantasy Flight said to follow the start up rules then add another 5000xp which makes me rank 2.  I am waiting on a reply from them about rather or not we are initiate or respected renown before i finish spending my points.  I am debating between the storm bolter and the motion predictor for my tech marine's signature wargear.  I was thinking that I would take the predictor because I can attach it to a storm bolter if the req points are there to acquire it for the mission and I have it on my regular bolter if the points are not available.  Are you able to take respected items from the SWG without having the renown…that seems to go against what i have read. 

#30 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

bucketheadklunk said:

So I am trying to teach myself the whole system before Gencon playing one on one with my kid.  I have enough of the gist of it from playing the board game and my other RPG games but the signature war gear is getting me a bit.  It seems like the signature war gear is a waste of time at rank 1 because it doesn't seem like you can earn enough renown before hitting rank 2 to become respected, yet I see people posting about rank 1 characters adding stom bolters.  I am working on my character for gencon right now.  Fantasy Flight said to follow the start up rules then add another 5000xp which makes me rank 2.  I am waiting on a reply from them about rather or not we are initiate or respected renown before i finish spending my points.  I am debating between the storm bolter and the motion predictor for my tech marine's signature wargear.  I was thinking that I would take the predictor because I can attach it to a storm bolter if the req points are there to acquire it for the mission and I have it on my regular bolter if the points are not available.  Are you able to take respected items from the SWG without having the renown…that seems to go against what i have read. 

Two things.

First, to your question: No, you may not purchase wargear with renown requirements above your current renown using signature wargear.

Second: Weapon upgrades or attachments can not be purchased seperate from an actual weapon. They may be included in the signature wargear purchase of, say, a new bolter; but they can not be requisitioned alone with signature wargear.

#31 bucketheadklunk

bucketheadklunk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

herichimo said:

bucketheadklunk said:

Two things.

First, to your question: No, you may not purchase wargear with renown requirements above your current renown using signature wargear.

Second: Weapon upgrades or attachments can not be purchased seperate from an actual weapon. They may be included in the signature wargear purchase of, say, a new bolter; but they can not be requisitioned alone with signature wargear.

Is that a house rule?? The Deathwatch Rules Book says that you may choose anything from the armoury except for specialized ammo                                                                                                                                                                 

#32 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Upgrades are upgrades, meaning there must be something to upgrade in the first place. You may purchase an upgrade WITH the item you are requesitioning through the talent, but you cannot upgrade nothing.

#33 Wonder Lemming

Wonder Lemming

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

herichimo said:

Upgrades are upgrades, meaning there must be something to upgrade in the first place. You may purchase an upgrade WITH the item you are requesitioning through the talent, but you cannot upgrade nothing.

But would you let, say, a Devastator purchase a motion predictor for his standard issue Heavy Bolter as signature wargear? What if he then bought a Storm Bolter with mission requisition, would you let him transfer his predictor to the new weapon?

Personally I'd say yes to both.

#34 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

To question 1: Conditionally yes. Condition: The heavy bolter AND the sight were under 20 requisition. Even if, for roleplay purposes, you are not getting a "new" weapon; you must still count the original weapon's requisition cost in addition to any upgrades or modifications.

Question 2: Definately not. Ignoring the fact it is not supported by rules as written, or the intent of the rules; the general attitude towards technology in WH40K universe doesn't support this action. Neither for that matter would real practical reasons. Scopes are built and designed to work with one type of weapon, one size of bullet, and one length of barrel. Any one of these changes and your sight becomes practically useless.
Your motion predictor is designed for the heavy bolter's barrel length and the .99 bolt round. A storm bolter's rounds (.75, different barrel length) have different ballistics, so all the aiming suggestions the predictor is giving you would be useless and flat out wrong for a different weapon (or even a normal bolter). (Not considering the fact the mounting lugs are probably not compatible, 40K tech isn't designed to be interchangable.)

#35 Wonder Lemming

Wonder Lemming

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

38,000 years from now when each weapon has it's own (nebulously defined, possibly only superstiion) machine spirit it seems possible to me that a sight could be reconfigured to work with two, or more, different guns, heck, I can buy a sniper scope today with markings for two different rounds so it can be used on two different rifles. I could very much see attatching the scope to a weapon, it interrogating the machine spirit, and adjusting it's predictions accordingly. It would probably require a tech-use roll to do this in the field though due to calibrations and whatnot.

As for modularity? that's basically what Marines DO! Their armour is designed so parts from a half dozen different marks, and goodness knows how many sub-marks, can swap and interchange pieces and components at will. Their standard transport, the Rhino, can be reconfigured into at least 2 different types of tank (Predator, Vindicator) Artillery (Whirlwind) or IFV (Razorback). The Land Raider has another half dozen variants (Phobos, Crusader, Achilles, Helios, etc). There is also somewhat of a tradition of field improvistations becoming standard throughout chapters (Predator Annihilator, Land Raider Redeemer).

But they can't take a sight off one gun and attach it to another? That stretches my disbelief somewhat

#36 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Sigh...

Despite it making no sense whatsover, I sent the question up to Mr. Flanders who says you can purchase single upgrades with signature wargear.

Never let it be said I am not concientiously equitable.

(Just for the impressionable readers out there: No there are no scopes designed for two different ballistics, that is hogwash and the original poster would not be able to provide an example. Two Marine armour and vehicles are in fact NOT modular, as changing any part or piece of them would require a lot of time, effort, and recourses. A desk is no more modular because I can take a saw, hammer, glue, and nails to it and turn it into shelving.)

Edited by herichimo, 11 July 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#37 Brother Anselm

Brother Anselm

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Do i lose my starting bolter if i use sig wargear to 'own a heavy flamer?

#38 Korvis

Korvis

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

38,000 years from now when each weapon has it's own (nebulously defined, possibly only superstiion) machine spirit it seems possible to me that a sight could be reconfigured to work with two, or more, different guns, heck, I can buy a sniper scope today with markings for two different rounds so it can be used on two different rifles. I could very much see attatching the scope to a weapon, it interrogating the machine spirit, and adjusting it's predictions accordingly. It would probably require a tech-use roll to do this in the field though due to calibrations and whatnot.

As for modularity? that's basically what Marines DO! Their armour is designed so parts from a half dozen different marks, and goodness knows how many sub-marks, can swap and interchange pieces and components at will. Their standard transport, the Rhino, can be reconfigured into at least 2 different types of tank (Predator, Vindicator) Artillery (Whirlwind) or IFV (Razorback). The Land Raider has another half dozen variants (Phobos, Crusader, Achilles, Helios, etc). There is also somewhat of a tradition of field improvistations becoming standard throughout chapters (Predator Annihilator, Land Raider Redeemer).

But they can't take a sight off one gun and attach it to another? That stretches my disbelief somewhat

You are imparting logic from current technology and context to that of an imaginary time in the future.  They don't even have stabilized gun sights for vehicles to be able to fire on the move for Pete's sake.  There are "select" items, skills, traits that "resemble" some of what is current for the pure basis of making it logically plausible.....that's it.  It's a make believe universe within a game.

#39 TormDK

TormDK

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Do i lose my starting bolter if i use sig wargear to 'own a heavy flamer?

No, but you might not be able to carry it (If your GM uses the Five hands rule, where a heavy weapon is three hands, a basic weapon is two, and a pistol or non-great melee weapon is one)

#40 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

Never heard of the five hands rule, ever, before tom brought it up in another topic. Use it if you like, but I find it a bit too unrealistic in many cases.

My suggestion is to just apply logic. There really isn't anywhere to "stow" a heavy weapon on a space marine's person. So usually that means it's either in your hands or in the dirt. A bolter, pistol, knife (1 of ea), grenades (6 ish), and ammo (2-3 for pistol, 3-8 for bolter; less if carrying heavy ammo) is easy to carry on your person. A couple of pouches for stuff you need to carry around, a solar panel and personal heraldry stored in the tiny tiny storage compartment on the backpack, and maybe you have enough room left for a basic weapon or two. Again, heavies aren't really docked to an armor spot.

As to your question, tom is right, you do not loose it if you requisition another weapon. It's probably the one you brought with you from your own chapter, I doubt your character would want to give it up.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS