• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Elbi

Elbi

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:57 AM

Mr. K said:

An excellent point.  In fact, in the Investigator Turn Summary (p.6), the Action Step 'Attack a Monster' is specifically described as:

'Choose a monster in his space to attack'.  So using a ranged weapon doesn't count as Attack a Monster

Therefore, any action that is not attacking a monster in your space would require an Evade action.  Interestingly, though, it seems as though in Elbi scenario of three monsters in your space, as long as you were attacking ONE of them, you wouldn't need to Evade the other two, as you would be legitimately performing the 'Attack a Monster' step.

That might be the solution, actually.
1st rule: As long as you attack a Monster in your space, you don't have to make Evade Checks (no matter what type of weapon).
2nd rule: If you use your ranged weapon to attack a Monster NOT in your space, you have to Evade every monster IN your space.

Looking at other games, it's basically "If you stand next to the archer, he can't shoot at someone" or "... you get to beat him if he DOES".
This would be represented in MoM by the 2nd Rule, while general "but the archer can try to defend himself in melee" is the 1st Rule...

I like that one :)

@ amikezor

I know you're not trolling, its just... the interpretations vary SO GREATLY from person to person that somewhere in the middle of the last page I thought I missed some inside joke O_o

#22 Parathion

Parathion

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

Solved!

Q: Does an investigator in a space with a monster have to evade that monster if he intends to attack a different monster in a different space, e.g. using a ranged weapon?

A: As per the rulebook, he does not need to evade to attack another monster (page 15):
Attacking a monster does not require making an evade test.
This attack may be unarmed, with a weapon, or with an “attack”
Spell card. This attack does not need to target a monster in the
investigator’s space.

I hope this answers your question!

-Corey Konieczka
VP of R&D
Fantasy Flight Games 

#23 Mr. K

Mr. K

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

He's right, it's there in black and white.  It really is amazing what you can miss in the rule book.

It's a shame though, I like it how we left it, and to me actually feels more "natural".  I might have to make my first House Rule on this one.

K xx

#24 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Few questions about Evade checks:

1. From what I understand, Brass Knuckles, an equipment card that does not specify to attack a creature, would incur Evade checks from each monster occupying the Investigator's space before using? Equally, all cards that as an Action that do not state to attack a creature incur Evade checks too, even if they are stated or insinuated as Weapons?

2. If a monster is stunned, does it still incur Evade checks?

3. If an investigator has combat penalties, from Darkness, Broken Arm, etc., does he or she commit those negatives to Evade checks too?

4. In general, does Evade count as combat but without the use of the Combat cards?

Thanks.

#25 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Tromdial said:

1. From what I understand, Brass Knuckles, an equipment card that does not specify to attack a creature, would incur Evade checks from each monster occupying the Investigator's space before using? Equally, all cards that as an Action that do not state to attack a creature incur Evade checks too, even if they are stated or insinuated as Weapons?

2. If a monster is stunned, does it still incur Evade checks?

3. If an investigator has combat penalties, from Darkness, Broken Arm, etc., does he or she commit those negatives to Evade checks too?

4. In general, does Evade count as combat but without the use of the Combat cards?

#1: Going by RAW, yes. Some people want to argue that Brass Knucks, using the Typewriter, etc. should be attacks since they do damage and thus wouldn't require an Evade.

#2: No (as per FAQ).

#3-4: No, Evade is not combat. If something gives him -2 Dexterity, that will hinder him, as does Stun (-2 to all checks), but generally anything that modifies combat, doesn't modify Evade.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS