Photo

Thousand Sons, Alpha Legion, Wordbearers, and who knows what.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Argus Van Het

Argus Van Het

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:41 AM

My ideas on this:

The different chapters: this will probably be like DW, 12 or so skills+talents cheaper/only avaiable to a single chapter, 12 or so to another, etc... The "newbies" could use their parent table, changing some skills or talents for others more chaos-related.

Following on the Deatwatch style of Space Marines, it is likely they will have the following tables: 1) chapter table, 2) chaos god table (5 tables here: one per god, and a fifth for Chaos Undivided), 3) specialty table. While it is possible that certain alternative advancements (like Noise Marine) will require to be a member of a certain Legion, remember you can be "sold" to a Legion, at least according to the Dawn of War storyline (Eliphas the Inheritor was a Word Bearer in DoW: Dark Crusade, to be sold to Abaddon and become a Black Legion member in Chaos Rising).

For the traitor legions previously discussed:

First, the Thousand Sons: this ones will most likely be avaiable only as sorcerers. The animated suits of armor always obey a Thousand Sons sorcerer, and that is a ***** for a player, even if the armors can go on their own. I think recruiting Rubric Marines as minions will be cheaper for these characters aswell.

Second, the Alpha Legion: I see some problems with them being in this supplement, as far as I know no member of the Alpha Legion has ever been in the Warp without the protection of a Geller Field (and no, they never went inside the Eye of Terror). Furthermore, they are not mutated, and they don't serve any chaos god...

The World Eaters would be another option to have as minions, since, well, I think most (if not all) of them are just crazy killing machines (specially their Daemon Primarch).

For the FFG "Chaos Legion", it should be a post-heresy traitor chapter, since I doubt Games Workshop will allow the use of one of the two "free slots" in their count of 20 original primarchs/legions. As for the other ones, I have no comment there ^^

#22 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:53 AM

Honestly, ever since we learned that character creation will be free-form, and that all the 'classes' will just be archetypical templates that you use in the beginning, I'm not sure we'll get any rules for the specific Legions anymore. It's not like we actually need them, and if anyone is likely to break with the tendencies of their Chapter/Legion it's a Chaos Marine.

Afterall, if a Black Legionaire becomes a Khorne Berserker, which is going to be making a greater impact on their personality? I'd weigh in on the side of the latter myself, because I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be mostly like any other Khorne Berserker.

It kinda sucks, but having the freeform system with archetypical classes, and then a Deathwatch-like system of Legions alongside it, just sounds like we'd be ripe for a clash of rules. Though, that doesn't mean they wouldn't give us guidelines, or a sidebar, talking about what could be done to model the various traitor Legions within the framework of the existing rules.

#23 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, there may be some recommendations for not using to different legions together for the value of immersion, but in the end I think that we can come up with decent ideas for having them appeare in various places together. They did after all manage at least two major wars, Horus Heresy and the 13th Black Crusade together, and so they should manage to work on a smaller level as well. My take is that Chaos Space Marines are also individualistic to a greater degree than the Imperial Chapters so they can probably form new warbands and such across legion borders.

Here's my take on them.

Black Legion: Is divided into various warbands with a general overlordship by Abaddon, and he only flex his muscles when he needs manpower and thus many members of the Black Legions can probably pursue their own agenda most of the time.

Night Lords: I don't know for sure 

Alpha Legion: They seem to be divided into independent warbands and cells operate pretty independent of each other, so no reason that they can't join up with other Chaos forces as they are already fostering Chaos cults and stuff.

World Eaters: Fractured into warbands so they should be able to more or less show up anywhere.

Emperor's Children: Fractured into warbands like the World Eaters

Death Guard: This can be a bit harder, but since Typhus could act pretty independent during the 13th Black Crusade I don't see individual agendas as impossible

Word Bearers: I can see some of them being sent on missionary work to use whatever oppertunity to spread the worship of Chaos

Thousand Sons: What I saw it looks like the Thousands Sons have also fractured into warbands, so no problem with following one's own agenda there.

Iron Warriors: Don't know for sure

#24 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:58 AM

Gurkhal said:

Yeah, there may be some recommendations for not using to different legions together for the value of immersion, but in the end I think that we can come up with decent ideas for having them appeare in various places together. They did after all manage at least two major wars, Horus Heresy and the 13th Black Crusade together, and so they should manage to work on a smaller level as well. My take is that Chaos Space Marines are also individualistic to a greater degree than the Imperial Chapters so they can probably form new warbands and such across legion borders.

And that's not what I was talking about at all! :)

I'm saying that there won't be any rules for the different Legions, but they might give us guidelines for how to make a character from specific a Legion, like "An Emperor's Child has the Skills A, B, and C, and the Talents X, Y, and Z". Different Legions working together is entirely a nonissue, the game isn't about Chaos Space Marines, so they're not likely to go that much detail on them.

Much more likely are they to talk about the general animosity between Khorne and Slaanesh followers, as well as Tzeentch and Nurgle followers, and leave the players to use common sense and extrapolate from there for Chaos Marines.

#25 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:18 AM

Blood Pact said:

And that's not what I was talking about at all! :)

Well I wasn't thinking of my post as a direct reply to your own post, but rather basing it a little on it and then flying out on my own. ;) And while Chaos Space Marines are not the main focus, they remain within the game and Legions are an important part of the Chaos Space Marines, hence I would be suprised if it isn't at least given a sidebar.

#26 Lyinar

Lyinar

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

I'm thinking that there is a fairly simple way for them to do the Thousand Sons in-game...  You play as a sorcerer, and can have the, well, dust-buckets as Minions.

#27 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

They'll be fairly expensive minions.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS