66 replies to this topic

#41 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:00 AM

Tibs said:

I've responded in your other thread that it does not cause a surge, as per the updated FAQ.

You mean it does, Tibs.

Gate Burst on Location with no Gate: Gate, Monster, Doom Token

Gate Burst on Location with Open Gate: Monster Surge

Gate Burst on Location with Elder Sign: Gate, Monster, remove Elder Sign, no Doom Token.

What was that noise?

#42 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

jgt7771 said:

Tibs said:

I've responded in your other thread that it does not cause a surge, as per the updated FAQ.

You mean it does, Tibs.

Whew yes! Thanks for the catch. Good thing the edit button was still available for my post.

Essentially gate bursts are exactly like regular mythos cards in all aspects except two:

• A seal does not block the gate from opening, rather it is removed and a gate opens there (no doom token)
  • All flying monsters move, regardless of whether the card burst a gate or not.

#43 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

Chaugnar Faugn reads "Chaugnar Faugn cannot have more than three doom tokens removed from his doom track during a single round of combat - he ignores all further successes." Suppose 3 investigators removed 3 doom tokens and there's still 3 successes left. Do they add up to the next round, or do they reset completely?

#44 Dietch

Dietch

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

kroen said:

he ignores all further successes.

Obv.

#45 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:45 AM

Does Finn:

1. Gains 10$ when he gets his Bank Loan.

2. Needs to discard money for his bank loan (the wording on bank loan is "spend" and on finn's abilty it's "discards" so I'm not sure)

#46 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

kroen said:

Does Finn:

1. Gains 10$ when he gets his Bank Loan.

2. Needs to discard money for his bank loan (the wording on bank loan is "spend" and on finn's abilty it's "discards" so I'm not sure)

1.No.

2.No (but if he doesn't pay his money he has to default on his loan).

And this really isn't a questions thread.  You should have just posted that in the main forum.

#47 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

What? all this thread is nothing but questions.

1. Are you sure? Because the card "Bank Loan" specificly says you gain $10 when you get the card.

#48 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

Look at the first sentence of this thread.

And yes I'm sure.

#49 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:52 PM

Fine. But "I'm sure" isn't very good reasoning. I willl start a new thread.

#50 Wolfen Fenrison

Wolfen Fenrison

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

I haven't found this in the rule book.

When a play moves to a location that has a gate and a monster, which takes precedence, the gate or the monster?  Also same question but with a gate and clue token?

#51 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

Wolfen Fenrison said:

I haven't found this in the rule book.

When a play moves to a location that has a gate and a monster, which takes precedence, the gate or the monster?  Also same question but with a gate and clue token?

The second part is easy to answer.  If a gate is on a location, all clue tokens there are destroyed and no clue tokens can be placed there.

As for the first part, I think the ruling is currently, deal with the monster first, then get sucking into the gate (if you're moved there by an encounter— if you go there during the movement phase, it's *definitely* deal with the monster first, since you go into gates during the encounter phase).

#52 LoneWolfW

LoneWolfW

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

First time post, and it's rules pedantry >.<

From page 1 of the thread:

ColtsFan76 said:

Monsters and movement as a result of an encounter (01/02/07)
When moved to another location by an encounter, you don't have to fight/evade monsters in either location. At least, not immediately. Combat as a result of such movement only occurs during the movement phase. During the encounter phase, you only have to worry about monsters popping up to attack you as a result of an encounter.

This rule overides the following FAQ v1.2 entry:

If a location card tells an investigator that he may move to another location and have an encounter there, what happens if the location has a monster and/or gate on it?

First, the investigator must successfully evade or fight any monsters at the location. If successful, the investigator has a normal Arkham Encounters Phase at the new location, following either the Gate or No Gate instructions on pages 8-9 of the rulebook.

Note (06/03/08 ):
In the Kingsport expansion, this FAQ entry has been reworded and seems to confirm the previous FAQ v1.2 entry. At the moment it is not known which ruling is the correct one and we are awaiting an official answer from the game designers.

Note (06/24/08 ):
I have received an answer from Kevin, and i copy here his answer verbatim:

So his previous ruling, which limits combat with monsters on the board only during the movement phase was the good one. Too bad the Kingsport FAQ reintroduced the error, but at least we have an official ruling.

KevinW wrote:Hmm, looking at the files, now that I have a chance. It appears that the ruling was changed after FAQ 1.2 and the FAQ stuff that went into Kingsport was simply not updated in that instance. Stick with the combat only occurs during the movement phase ruling. My apologies for the confusion.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Anyhow, hello everyone

*wave*

#53 Solan

Solan

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

Thanks, LoneWolfW!

#54 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:19 AM

In a game against Ghatanothoa, does Rex Murphy(the cursed reporter) have to flip visage tokens each time he gains 1 Clue token?(since his special ability gives him an extra clue token)

#55 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Something I still find unclear.  Regarding environments that don't specifically denote Arkham- do these affect other worlds as well? Like, for instance, one that   says: ..."no spells may be cast", or another  that  states: "Cultists and Byakhees have their toughness increased by 1".

#56 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:23 PM

Another question: can the spell Astral Travel be cast on the same Arkham Encounters Phase during which you've closed a gate, or does the closing of the gate count as an encounter? (since in the latter case, the spell cannot be cast)

#57 Villain

Villain

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

zealot12: This thread is not for questions. You are supposed to ask those questions in other threads. This thread is only for compiled answers to those questions by Kevin Wilson.

-Villain

#58 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:50 AM

Q. A blue Other World encounter from the base game that occurs in the "Other" location reads as follows: "You've completed your task, but now you must escape before the portal closes! Pass a Speed (-2) check to return to Arkham. If you fail, you are lost in time and space. In either event, you automatically close the gate you entered through." The card doesn't specify, but you can still take the gate as a trophy, correct? Also, in situations like this, can you still spend the 5 clue tokens or an Elder Sign to seal the gate?

A. Yes, you still get it as a trophy, and yes, you can still seal it if you have the means.

#59 Solan

Solan

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:05 AM

There is no roll for Martial Law when you are standing on a gate in the Esoteric Order or the Marsh Refinery. 

Kevin Wilson
(KevinW)

Re: Martial Law and Returning from Other Worlds
You do not make Martial Law checks on locations with open gates.

#60 Landspeed

Landspeed

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:38 AM

Hi all,

the effect of card corruption is also applied to those who find themselves in Other Worlds and who is Lost in Space and Time?

If yes, and you are Lost in space and Time, and in the Mythos phase trigger the event of "Nightmarish Visions" (Lose 2 Sanity, and gain 2 Clue tokens),

and you go insane, what happens?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS