• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 cim

cim

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

shnar said:

Wasn't this answered in one of the FAQs, that the outskirts build up as normal, but when they "empty", if the Terror Level is at 10, instead of incrementing the Terror Level, you add a Doom Token to the Doom Track?

No: if the Terror Level is at 10, there's no monster limit, so no way monsters can get into the outskirts. If anything else ("Family Found Butchered" mythos, for example) would cause the terror to rise to 11, that instead adds a doom token.

#22 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:31 AM

KW just posted on BGG, regarding Personal Stories that have a Pass and a Fail that can be happen at the same time.

"These are all timing issues, and timing issues always work out in the investigator's favor."

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/447356

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#23 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:56 PM

zeb said:

You can use the special ability if you want, or do anything else that you could normally do "instead of having an encounter" (such as using the Handyman's ability from Dunwich.)

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Hmm. Could I extrapolate from this ruling that using special abilities in Kingsport also counts as having investigated a location?

question: 2) When one encounter card directs you to have an encounter at another location in Arkham, are you allowed to do the Special Ability at that location or must you draw a card and have a "real" encounter to fulfill the original card's direction?

#24 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

jhaelen said:

zeb said:

You can use the special ability if you want, or do anything else that you could normally do "instead of having an encounter" (such as using the Handyman's ability from Dunwich.)

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Hmm. Could I extrapolate from this ruling that using special abilities in Kingsport also counts as having investigated a location?

question: 2) When one encounter card directs you to have an encounter at another location in Arkham, are you allowed to do the Special Ability at that location or must you draw a card and have a "real" encounter to fulfill the original card's direction?

No.  I'm not sure, but I think Kingsport rules say that you need to have an encounter.  I'll check tonight and if it isn't clear, I'll include it as an FAQ question.

#25 Gamemaster

Gamemaster

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

#26 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

Gamemaster said:

Cool story bro ;)

#27 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

A dumb gamemaster... quite uncommon.  :)    (Kevin Wilson, make us more games pleaaaase !!! ) (just to be not out of topic)

#28 Gamemaster

Gamemaster

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

Gamemaster said:

Hmm..not sure why my answer wasn't posted.

Anyway, to investigate a location for rift purposes, you must have an encounter.

#29 rowanalpha

rowanalpha

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

Does Cthulu's "Stirs in Slumber" ability remain in effect when he awakens?

#30 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

rowanalpha said:

Does Cthulu's "Stirs in Slumber" ability remain in effect when he awakens?

Yes. All AO "stirs in slumber" abilities remain when the AO awakens. Additionally, during a "final combat" with Cthulhu caused by the right dual-colored OW card, the investigator's reduced sanity and stamina maximums are permanent (if s/he survives).

#31 Snak

Snak

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:35 AM

you sure? i always thought those abbilities were only on as long as he was "asleep"

#32 Dietch

Dietch

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

Snak said:

you sure? i always thought those abbilities were only on as long as he was "asleep"

Tibs is right. It has been answered several times.

#33 Necrorubi

Necrorubi

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

Does Harvey Walters Special also reduce the loss of sanity for reading books? Such like "True Magick"? By that, Harvey would generate a clue token every round for the effective loss of one movement point.

#34 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:09 AM

Necrorubi said:

Does Harvey Walters Special also reduce the loss of sanity for reading books? Such like "True Magick"? By that, Harvey would generate a clue token every round for the effective loss of one movement point.

Any Sanity loss, Tomes, Elder Signs, "The Man in Black" Mythos, Horror check failures. Of cours, Harvey reading Tomes means he ain't moving much.

#35 Necrorubi

Necrorubi

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:14 AM

Thanks for the fast reply. I thought that I would render him overpowered, since for Daisy Walker it is stated explicitly that she never loses sanity when reading books. Thanks anyway ... 

#36 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:22 AM

Their (Daisy vs Harvey) difference is that Daisy can read the Necronomicon (and others with Sanity loss of 2) with no loss, while Harvey still loses 1 Sanity (normally lose 2). Daisy is also faster, can cast Spells more cheaply, etc. Harvey's an alright investigator, Daisy's one of the select OPs. Harvey and Dexter need to pass their PS to get her spell cost reduction .

#37 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

Also, Daisy has a bonus stat point, for some crazy reason. But, at least she's no Patrice!

#38 flamethrower49

flamethrower49

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

I rather like how Patrice has put "overpowered" investigators like Daisy into perspective.  No matter what Daisy does these days, I still look at her and think exactly that.  At least she's no Patrice, indeed. 

#39 rowanalpha

rowanalpha

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

Gate Burst Monster Surges

We've got a discussion going in another thread, and I'd like to see about getting input from the man himself.  Gate burst rules state:

"Certain mythos cards have their gate location colored red. This red coloring indicates a gate burst. A gate burst works the same as a normal mythos card in all cases except when the listed gate location has an elder sign token on it. When that happens, the gate bursts open, causing the elder sign token to be removed from the board. A gate then opens at that location and a monster appears there as usual, but no doom token is added to the Ancient One’s doom track, nor  does this event cause a monster surge.

Additionally, whenever a gate burst is drawn, all flying monsters move, regardless of their dimensional symbol." (emphasis added for disputed text)

As written, it seems to say that if a gate opens after bursting an elder sign, it does not cause a monster surge.  This seems redundant, as there would not have been a monster surge to begin with since there was no gate already open in the location.

My understanding was that if the location of the gate burst already has a gate, there is no monster surge, but there is disagreement based on the phrasing above.

So, is the intention that when a gate burst shows a location containing an already open gate there is or is not a monster surge?

#40 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

I've responded in your other thread that it does cause a surge, as per the updated FAQ.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS