UPDATED - Super Huge Detailed Map of the Warhammer Old World by Gitzman

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:21 AM

So Omens introduces some minor changes to the Neus Emskrank region and i want to bring the SHDMotWOW up to date as quickly as possible. I was able to add the new city immediatly to its west and the few new rivers, forests and roads.  I also added those 3 new islands just off the coast.  One of them has a fort or tower on it.  Does anyone know what taht is called? 

Also, does anyone know the name of the west most river on the map?

Thanks a bunch, i'll have the new map (with loads of other updates too on the web shortly)

Gitzman

#42 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:34 AM

With the help of Jakob, we put up the newest version of the map this weekend (also in the Google Maps viewer). This udpate includes all data from the Omens of War expansion among other improvements.

Gitzman

#43 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

A question - here since this is the "super detailed map" thread.  

Where is Frederheim (the village with Shallyan hospice for insane).

Most sources put it on Altdorf-Middenheim road, so north of Altdorf.

However, the map on last page of 3rd edition base rulebook has it more south-west, depending on how you read it on road to Bogenhafen or along Reik towards Carroburg (or in territory between those routes).

Anyone have any idea of the reason for the difference/change?  I must say I am hopeful that 3e put it on a map, maybe something tasty coming involving it....

Rob

#44 SmokeGunner

SmokeGunner

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:40 AM

Hi Gitzman. Great job on the map! What is the scale when at 100% zoom (in the PDF file)? I've been printing off sections of the map in A4-sized pieces which can be lined up with each other, which I can hand out to players. All I need on the maps now is a scale.

#45 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:45 AM

SmokeGunner said:

Hi Gitzman. Great job on the map! What is the scale when at 100% zoom (in the PDF file)? I've been printing off sections of the map in A4-sized pieces which can be lined up with each other, which I can hand out to players. All I need on the maps now is a scale.

Okay, so this is rough, but here you go =)

1 inch = 7.234 miles

1 inch = 11.575 kilometers

As an alternative, you can use the mapping and measurement tools build into the Google Maps version on the web here.  Or here for a full screen version.

Let me know if i can provide anything else =)

Gitzman

#46 Bloody Sun Boy

Bloody Sun Boy

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

I hadn't yet said this aloud but allow me to take the opportunity to say...thank you, Gitzman, for your incredible work on this project!  Your passion and diligence is much appreciated and has done fantastic service toward spreading the enthusiasm for and investment in the Old World!

Bravo!

#47 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

I was wondering could it be possible to have Reikland-only map with googlemaps abilities? WFRP3 is (by the book) Reikland centered and the huge map takes a huge amount of time to open with wireless connections during game time.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#48 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

Doc,

If you are doing the Google Maps version, it only loads what is in your viewable area, so i suggest hitting up the full screen section and zooming in to the reikland area.  Active panning will trigger new tiles being loaded but when running full screen it seems to be a little better since you have a much larger viewable area, not to mention tiles get cached as they load so subsequent loads are quicker.

Alternativly i can provide a JPG or PDF of the Reikland similar to the large PDF, however this will not have the Google Maps functinoality, like measuring or plotting a course.

Gitzman

#49 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

It's okay. I can run with this. It was just something I was wondering.

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#50 Deadline247

Deadline247

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Possibly silly question...how to I get this map to work with Google Maps?

#51 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:54 AM

Only sort of a silly question =)

The map can be downloaded or viewed in a GoogleMaps panel mid page at Gitzmans Gallery - Warhammer Maps.

OR

You can go straight to a Full Screen version in GoogleMaps at Super Huge Detailed Map of the Warhammer Old World - Full Screen.

Hope that helps =)

Gitzman

#52 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

Dudes,

I'm very activly working on the next version of the SHDMotWOW which is to include the Dark Lands and Araby.  While i'm at it i'm looking for new content to be adding that i may have missed elsewhere on the map.  For example, new towns and locations mentioned in adventures (i know Black Fire Pass introduces a few new locations in the pass which i'm adding).

I'll likely post a thumbnail of the new map in the coming days to give you guys a teaser of how much bigger the new one is.

Gitzman

#53 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

Gitzman,

I love the map and love the little buildings you did that represent the towns and cities. However, their scale and number kinda give the whole land a "well settled" feeling. Like the areas in-between are less threatening because there are cities everywhere.  I was wondering if their footprint on the land (scale), if it were smaller, would make the in-between areas look more threatening and unsettled? Maybe not. 

But love the map either way :)

Also, I think an Empire calender would be a nice addition to the site.

#54 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

Gitzman said:

Dudes,

I'm very activly working on the next version of the SHDMotWOW which is to include the Dark Lands and Araby.  While i'm at it i'm looking for new content to be adding that i may have missed elsewhere on the map.  For example, new towns and locations mentioned in adventures (i know Black Fire Pass introduces a few new locations in the pass which i'm adding).

I'll likely post a thumbnail of the new map in the coming days to give you guys a teaser of how much bigger the new one is.

Gitzman

What about the village of Geissbach mention in Eye for an Eye?  I guess it is somewhere between Ubersreik and Bogenhafen?

#55 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

Perfect!  I had forgotten that was mentioned and not on the map.  I'm familiar where it is. I've also added Grunwald Lodge, since its such a prominent location in the introductory adventure.

Regarding Scale:  The maps cities and locations are not representative of their actual size.  Instead they are more of a cartoony or artistic approach giving the sense and feal of the area and size of the city.  I know what you mean when you say that the empire is a little crowded.  But keep in mind that the empire is a little crowded, btu at the same time, some cities are 2+ days apart.  Try out the measuring tool and check it out. 

Gitz

#56 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

Geissbach is on the scans I sent glitzman - though it is one  of several small villages I don't think the "Super Huge" map shows (there are 6 in this range around Ubersreik for example, 4 around Bogenhafen).

#57 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

I'll have to look into what to do about those villages V. There are indeed several around Ubersreik, however there is limited space to fit towns and villages given teh design the map takes.  Some of those smaller villages will need to be left out in favor of more prominent ones. 

Geissbach on the other hand is directly referenced in an adventure and therefore should be added.  I'll have to see what other ones i can fit. Its getting crowded in there =)

Gitz

#58 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:21 AM

Perhaps just use simple dots for locations smaller than a town?  Is it possible to have tool tip names pop up while hovering over something?

Keep up the great work... I have been using your map in my game, letting the players know where they are.

#59 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:32 AM

Dudes,

VERY BIG UPDATE TO THE MAP
3x LARGER

Its been a busy weekend rendering the map for production and calling on the community (thank you Mr. McQuaid) to help slice it up for GoogleMaps but the Extra Super Huge Detailed Map of the Warhammer Old World is up!

New features of the updated map:

• The map is roughly 30,000px by 24,000px
  • The map now includes all of The Darklands
  • The map now includes The Mountains of Mourne (The Ogre Kingdoms)
  • The map now includes Araby & Khemri
  • The map now includes a Scale! (though its accuracy may be called into question, i'll work on it ;)
  • Revamped icons for Skaven and Greenskin locations, and a lot more of them throughout the empire and the Badlands
  • Smaller locations are not visible at far-out zoom levels, and only become visible as you get clsoer to help declutter the map.
  • All locations mentioned in WFRP3 supplements have been added, (Omens of War, Black Fire Pass, Grunwald Lodge, Geissbach, etc)
  • New & updated textures in several locations to increase visibility and reduce texture tiling.

The map is available in JPEG format at http://www.gitzmansg...Maps/index.html

The map is available in FULL SCREEN mode at http://www.gitzmansg...ldworldmap.html

Enjoy!

Gitzman

P.S. I'd like to give a wag of my finger to Adobe and their Photoshop for not supporting 40,000 px dimension JPEGs, harumph.

#60 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:25 AM

Excellent work! As always!

Now waiting for SHPMotWOW v3! 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS