Xbox Live version?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:37 AM

Ok, so I remember reading about some company making an Xbox live arcade game out of Talisman, but I guess it fell apart around the same time Black Industries did. I always thought an online version or an Xbox live arcade version of Talisman would be sweet, allowing us all to play more of one of our favorite games and let us meet/play other players around the world. I know there is that non-official online Talisman, but it doesn't work on my Mac. :(

Anyway, is there any possibility that FFG could somehow get this idea going again? From previews I saw, it looked like the Xbox live arcade version was almost all the way done, but then just never came out. Seems like a shame to see it go to waste.

#2 myomer

myomer

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

Yeah I was very much looking forward to this one as well; it's a great avenue for expansions especially once you have the engine in place the dev time for expansions would be minimal. Plus it's a casual scene and very good for an XBL title. Games like Carcassone and Catan have done well in XBL.

One thing that no one has really done so far in XBL though is the ability to mix local multi with Live multi: IMO this is a must.

#3 icesickels

icesickels

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

Capcom was the company making it and they had plans to put it out for X-Box, PS3 and the PC.

From what I read it sounds like the game had no chance of making enough money to continue to develop it.  I have scene a early trailer for it on Youtube and it looked great. 

This would lead me to believe that if most companies are in the business of making money, I doubt anyone else will take up the project at this point.

But I wish someone would, I would play it :)

#4 Conejo

Conejo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

capcom was the company PRODUCING it.  there was another development company actually making the game.  capcom pulled out of the deal, apparently because of the BI fallout.

also, for some reason, they had limited it to a 4-player game.

#5 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:43 AM

There is a really good interview over at Giant Realm which actually explains about the demise of the Capcom version of Talisman.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#6 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

talismanisland said:

There is a really good interview over at Giant Realm which actually explains about the demise of the Capcom version of Talisman.

Nice. That was indeed a good article. Thanks again TI. :)

#7 ImpendingFoil

ImpendingFoil

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

I heard bits and pieces of why it was canceled but it was nice to see an article explaining the whole thing.  As was really excited when they announced the XBL version long ago but had doubts about the time issue as well.  Though it would have been great to be able to play with some friends over long distance.

#8 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:02 AM

The only thing I dislike about reading that article, was yeah the stuff about time, etc. Like, yes I'm sure that there are a lot of people who just like to play games like Uno on there and don't want to play a game for more than twenty minutes. But there is also a lot of people like me who will sit down and play Halo or Elder Scrolls for 5 hours straight. Idk, I guess it'd be nice to have at least a couple more epic board games on there, starting with Talisman. ;)

#9 myomer

myomer

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:51 AM

Mattr0polis said:

The only thing I dislike about reading that article, was yeah the stuff about time, etc. Like, yes I'm sure that there are a lot of people who just like to play games like Uno on there and don't want to play a game for more than twenty minutes. But there is also a lot of people like me who will sit down and play Halo or Elder Scrolls for 5 hours straight. Idk, I guess it'd be nice to have at least a couple more epic board games on there, starting with Talisman. ;)

I agree. Plus, once you've automated certain things in the game it would streamline it much. Bottom line is, if Catan is doing well on XBL, which takes as much time to play even in 4 player, Talisman should have still been published. Ticket to Ride is also (if not already) on XBL. Other non-board games like Kingdom of Keflings also take time, esp. in multiplayer.

One simply can institute a save game feature to mitigate some of the concerns about time.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS