37 replies to this topic

#21 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Julia said:

Tbla said:

We (me and my girlfriend) started out with 2 investigators each and went up against Chtugha.

3:rd turn: Another gate opening in mythos phase = 6 open gates and Cthugha awakened.

Hi Tbla!

And welcome to the Carnival

Innsmouth can be brutal. I think most of the people here who play Arkham consistently have a "Mythos 1 defeat" on their log, thanks to Innsmouth (and it's something everyone's proud of ::nodding::)

Just a little note: a 4 investigator game has a gate limit of 7. So, at 6, Cthugha was still purring in his slumber!

Oh?

Well what do you know? You're right. Thanks!!

The most annoying thing is that I can now remember that I knew this once and used to play according to it. But a while ago my brain must have short circuited and I began to think it was only 6. I could swear the game was getting harder with an unproportional number of awakenings due to open gates.

#22 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Tbla said:

Well what do you know? You're right. Thanks!!

The most annoying thing is that I can now remember that I knew this once and used to play according to it. But a while ago my brain must have short circuited and I began to think it was only 6. I could swear the game was getting harder with an unproportional number of awakenings due to open gates.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#23 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Happy Birthday, Julia!!!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#24 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

The Professor said:

Happy Birthday, Julia!!!

Thanks Professor!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#25 Scenro

Scenro

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Oh man, I think it was Azathoth and a ton of unnecessarily bad rolls. We all died before he could even destroy the world. It was baaadddd.... but that could've also done something with sharing a few drinks while playing. Note to self, do not get plastered when the Old Ones attack.

#26 Aurus

Aurus

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Most annoying game; first true Dunwich Horror game.

I'd tried a 'no big board' run a few times to get a feel for each of the GoOs and the Investigators.

My first try at 'real' dunwich, adding in Gate Bursts... Oh man I wish I'd shuffled.

I set things up using 4 random Dunwich Investigators and a Dunwich GoO
I alternated between Dunwich Mythos and Arkham Mythos to give it a more 'tense' feel. Whoops.

Tsothugga. Leo, Jim, Jackie, and Rita.
Jackie pulls vision quest as her first spell.
Leo pulls PROFESSOR RICE!?
The board is *flooded* with clue tokens.
And hope was steadily snuffed out, bit by bit.

Jackie ends turn 2 with something to the extent of 12 Clues
Everyone else has at least 6.
Except Jim, who in typical Culver fashion, has ALREADY broken his hand.

The Terrible Experiment pops up and batters 2 of my team down.

Now follows 12 turns of the following: Gate Burst, Monster Surge, Gate Burst, Monster Surge...

Experiment finally cleared off on turn 5 or 6.

For the final 3 turns, I had half my team sitting on the hospital, picking up injuries from a formless spawn that was blocking the way.

I got 7 or 8 Seals throughout the game.

3 were showing on the board when a gate burst rips open a seal and 'too many gates' (Oh, the Horror woke up right before too).

Rita managed to, with the aid of a shotgun and grapple, take off 5 Doom tokens all by herself.

She was also the last to die.

The moral of the story:
When you get a new board, make sure you PROPERLY shuffle it. 6 consecutive gate bursts SUCK.

#27 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

The most annoying I can recall is probably a game that was going really well.

Plenty of empty spaces on the doom track, lots of clues, no immediate threat due to open gates.
Four seals in place and two investigators half way through OWs and ready to seal.

Then: "No one can help you now" (gates can not be sealed). And it remained in play for eight turns I think.
(we lost eventually)

I really hate that card. My girlfriend keeps asking me to tear it apart and sometimes I almost listen to her.

#28 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

The game really likes to mock you as you're approaching the goal.We had more close victories than I count. 4 sealed locations. 5 sealed locations, and to no avail. We lost. Oh, how we lost!

One I remember in particular is a session against Cthugha  where  we failed a Lurker rumor that penalizes you for every gate that opens(put a clue token on the card. If there are clue tokens on the card equal to the number of investigator plus one, return it to the box and draw a Mythos card. Treat the gate opening as a burst.).

We had 5 sealed locations on the board at the time and two investigators in other worlds ready to close the remaining gates

Anyway, just  a turn prior to the rumor failure, an environment comes up that penalizes investigators for being lost in time and space. They're devoured instead.

Our best sealer(Mark Harrigan) was lost in time space on the turn following the environment's placement.

And then, just to mock us some more,  as the aforementioned rumor was failed, guess which card we pulled to reinforce the punishment: a double gater!!! Haha.A double gate burst occurred.

Oh, so much fun!

#29 geristor

geristor

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

unluckiest game i can remember was a doozie.

need to close 1 gate to win had about 12 clue tokens so more than enough to seal the gate.

so i roll my check on 3 dice 0 successes. then spend 7 clue tokens to try to get that 1 success. , still 0.

mandy then lets me reroll any failed dice, so 10 dice 0 successes. spend the remaining 5 clue tokens to get 1 success but still 0.

so all in all 25 dice rolled not 1, 5or 6 in the lot.

#30 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

geristor said:

need to close 1 gate to win had about 12 clue tokens so more than enough to seal the gate.

so i roll my check on 3 dice 0 successes. then spend 7 clue tokens to try to get that 1 success. , still 0.

mandy then lets me reroll any failed dice, so 10 dice 0 successes. spend the remaining 5 clue tokens to get 1 success but still 0.

Hmm, that would happen something like once in 25000.

Rather unlucky I must say.

#31 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

Tbla said:

geristor said:

Hmm, that would happen something like once in 25000.

Rather unlucky I must say.

The Stars Were Right ;')

#32 Two_Hands

Two_Hands

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

:shrug: All of these stories- actually all threads discussing "luck"- remind me of my old statistics lecturer's favourite quote: "The laws of probability don't allow for coincidence- they require it."

#33 Zapranoth

Zapranoth

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

We had one recently that seemed to be going well.  Hastur (the non-revised one) on base game plus Dunwich board, my wife and I playing two investigators each as usual.  We were plugging along, even had a couple of sealed gates due to elder sign and I think Patrice using her clues, terror level at zero, and then suddenly all hell broke loose in Dunwich...  multiple monster surges on Wizard Hill, sound familiar?  The terror level rocketed up to 10 pretty fast and we couldn't scrap through to keep it stable.. we were overrun, he awoke, and we didn't even bother rolling the final battle because most of us could roll no dice!

#34 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

I had so many unlucky rolls - the ones where you have a decent dice pool and spend a dozen of clue tokens and still get no successes, that it's no longer even special. My biggest unlucky streak is tied to Ithaqua. He woke up more than not and after that, he always took all of our weapons, leaving us to fight him with our bare hands. Not to mention that the 2 times I choose another AO after drawing him, he jumped one of my investigators in a dual-colour gate encounter that very same game. It's very creepy to be honest... there is no denying the frozen god! Damn, I was so tempted to tear the AO sheet apart and burn it ritually in a temple. Another spectacular failure that comes to mind happened not long ago. A servant of Glaaki appeared on Devil's Reef and most of the servants were on board already, so I really wanted to avoid the vortex scenario. Luckily (or not :-) ), Mandy had the Mi-Go Braincase, so I could swap her with the servant. Same turn, mythos opened up a devouring R'lyeh gate on top of her. It was a trap! 

#35 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

:laughter: love the trap part! Sometimes the board is so evil!

#36 stevetattersall1975

stevetattersall1975

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

In my last game, against Hastur, Joe collected 7 clue tokens then got sucked through a gate to R'lyeh and delayed. No sooner had he got to the second area of R'lyeh than he was LiTaS. So he returned to Arkham and collected the eighth clue token needed to seal a location. He went through a gate to Celeano and managed to get an encounter that required him to stay in the first area on the next turn. He finally got to the second area of Celeano, only to be.... you guessed it... LiTaS.

This game can be evil sometimes.

#37 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

By far, was the first time my friend played Arkham Horror.  A gate opened beneath him on Unvisited Aisle.  He went through, and closed it (but he didn't have the Clues to seal).  Before he could move, ANOTHER gate opened beneath him.  Swearing and cursing, he went through it again, and again closed it.  When a THIRD gate opened beneath him, I had to hold him back from ripping my board in two.  He enjoys the game now, but still, THAT was unlucky!

Edited by Master Fwiffo, 13 August 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#38 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Plus, after that, the Unvisited Isle wasn't that Unvisited any longer...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS