Photo

Of Adventure to Come (1st Wave of Adventure Packs)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

YGrams said:

Lightdarker said:

This is what I was thinking, that once you had however many copies of something like "Generic Scary Monster," from adventure pack X, you could use them in the scenario provided further down the road with adventure pack Y, so there would be less of a need for a large number of new encounter cards with each monthly release (< 50%).  This is also assuming that each adventure pack will come with "for this scenario, assemble your encounter deck like this" instructions.  However, this makes me wonder if FFG is looking to make each individual adventure pack a "self contained unit," of sorts, a scenario playable by itself with the addition of the core game.  In that case, it seems unlikely that we would see cards carry over to be used in future adventure packs, and that ratio of about 50% player cards and 50% encounter deck cards may stay about the same.

I think what is maybe most likely (purely a guess on my part, of course), is that we will see adventure pack cards carry over and be usable with future adventure packs within the same cycle, for example, players using the "Hunter from Mordor" cards from Shadows of Mirkwood adventure pack #1 later on in the eventual release of Shadows of Mirkwood adventure pack #6.  Who knows, though.

According to the French fora, in a post by one of the translators for the game, the way the encounter deck is built is through the icons on the enemy/treachery/objective/location cards (middle-right of each card). if you look on side A of each quest card, there are one or more small icons near the bottom-right, as well as one large icon. So, any cards you have in your total pile of enemy cards that have an icon which will match one of the icons on the side A of the quest cards for that adventure should go in the encounter deck. The large icon (a tree in the Passage Through Mirkwood adventure, or an image of Dol Guldur in the Escape from Dol Guldur adventure) indicates the adventure itself, and it matches up with cards that are unique to that adventure (take, as an example, the Shadow Key; its icon is an image of Dol Guldur, and it will hence only be used in that adventure).

Link to original French post below: javascript:void(0);/*1297986985266*/

Yer, I'd spotted that too but checking things carefully i think maybe each adventure will be its own self contained unit for a couple of reasons

1. In the example of the key, this gets added to the encounter deck, so as you collect "all" the cards that match the symbols on the first quest card, to prevent dilution problems with the key card, they can't really provide new cards that add to the quest deck going foward.

2. I did think the the orc/goblin encounter cards (The chieftain and Dol Guldor orcs) are examples of those, could be used in a couple of the initial quests (and this still could be the case) including the final adventure in the tower itself, but as the magical stream also has that same icon (a goblins head) and it makes no sense to encounter a stream in a tower, that might not be the case, and so each card may only be used with one specific quest?

3. The description of the expansion packs also says that the encounter cards are "devoted" to the quest. Doesn't neccessarily prevent them being used with other quests from other expansions or the core set, but again they'd need to deal with the card dilution issue somewhere.

The upside of this is that they can make the encounter deck very thematic and really match the quest being played but the downside is that you might get several cards that are effectively the same, but linked to different quests.

I certainly think some cards can be used in more than one quest, even if just from the core set, as otherwise why would they give each quest several different symbols - if the quest had its only set of cards that were only ever used in that quest, they'd only ever be the need for one symbol per quest.

Only time will tell, and perhaps we'll get something in between - perhaps a x number of you orc icon encounter cards and add to the quest deck rather than "all"...? So that they can add cards with the same icon within expansions without causing any card dilution issues

#22 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

TheDukester said:

It seems odd in the extreme to even think about expansion packs before there's any real evidence that the core set actually exists.

I can't tell about the English version, but the German version of the core set definitely exists! Ask anyone who's been to the Lure of MECCG 2011 last week:

http://www.lureofmeccg.org/

The participants have been asked not to spoil anything on international sites (BGG, FFG, etc.), though.

In contrast to the FFG board games the LotR LCG core set will be released in all language versions simultaneously at first printing. Translated versions of board games have to wait until the second printing of the English version.

#23 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Darksbane said:

I really wish there was a way for one person to play as the enemy/encounter deck. Kind of like in a Dungeon Master type role where 1 person plays against the rest of the fellowship.

I wish that too

#24 BeardFan

BeardFan

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

I think you can easily do a houserule for that. Enemy player draws 8 cards. Plays 1 card for each player on the stage zone (plus additional cards required by some effects). Enemy player plays shadow cards for combat. Enemy player fills up hand to 8.

The variable is the number of cards the Enemy player can hold. More will make it harder for the heroes, less will make it easier.

Or something like this :D

Don't know if it will be fun for the Enemy player, though.

#25 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

BeardFan said:

I think you can easily do a houserule for that. Enemy player draws 8 cards. Plays 1 card for each player on the stage zone (plus additional cards required by some effects). Enemy player plays shadow cards for combat. Enemy player fills up hand to 8.

The variable is the number of cards the Enemy player can hold. More will make it harder for the heroes, less will make it easier.

ahahaha we dont care about him.He is the guy who likes Orcs more than Gandalf so he must be punished for his taste :)))

#26 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:21 AM

BeardFan said:

I think you could probably work something like that but, but if the encounter deck had objective cards - like the key or a clue for gollum, they'd need to be some ruling that prevented the DM keeping those cards in his hand indefinitiely!

#27 BeardFan

BeardFan

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:31 AM

The objective cards of the 3rd scenario went into the staging area before starting. The problem with the objectives is, that when they are in the draw pile, they may be drawn as a shadow card and go into the discard without you having a chance to get them. One of the "boss" orcs in the scenario made objectives go to the draw pile, and man, did we sweat not to draw the card as a shadow card.

#28 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:45 AM

BeardFan said:

One of the "boss" orcs in the scenario made objectives go to the draw pile, and man, did we sweat not to draw the card as a shadow card.

Ouch! That's nasty. So, apparently there are other ways to lose the game than reaching a threat rating of 50 or all heroes getting killed.

#29 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

I got an official news that the 1st Adventure Pack - Hunt For Gollum will be avaliable at the end on May (should be 28th May - but this can change).

#30 Karazax

Karazax

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:26 AM

I was really hoping there would be some official scenario creation rules.  I just question the replayability with set scenarios when there is no opponent.  My hope was a system for competitive play for example where you create your own scenario deck, then you play against  your scenario deck, but after the first round you switch scenario decks and play against someone else's.  That would give incentive to make a deck that is hard so that your opponents don't get too many points off it, but not so hard that no one could beat it.  If for example every scenario card had a victory point value, then scenarios could be given a point total that you had to make your scenario deck and then let the players decide how they wanted to reach that point total in the scenario design.  

Of course that is a very unpolished example, but it seems that the lack of official scenario rules is a big missed opportunity to make the game more re-playable and greatly increase the deck building options with each adventure pack.  

I'm also curious as to how the adventure pack scenarios are going to work together.  Are the adventure pack scenarios going to be completely self sustained between the pack and core set?  Or will they combine cards from different adventure packs, in which case I am curious as to how that will work for players might not have every adventure pack released prior that the scenario requires.

#31 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

Karazax said:

I'm also curious as to how the adventure pack scenarios are going to work together.  Are the adventure pack scenarios going to be completely self sustained between the pack and core set?  Or will they combine cards from different adventure packs, in which case I am curious as to how that will work for players might not have every adventure pack released prior that the scenario requires.

If you look at Pg. 26 of the Rulebook, you'll see that answer to your questions. Each scenario has it's own unique set of encounter cards but then adds in a couple of thematically appropriate Encounter card sets. So the Carrock expansion will have it's special set of Carrock encounter cards but will then probably include the "Wilderlands" set and maybe the "Dol Guldur Orcs" set. It seems like each scenarios specific card are only used for that scenario but then, as said above, will include cards from the broader pool of badguys.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS