• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Corpus

Corpus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

We use the following:

At any time after setup, if you draw only one card from the Common Items or Unique Items deck, and you draw a Task or a Mission, you may discard the card and immediately draw again from the same deck. You must keep the new card drawn.

We had a lot of people get frustrated with getting tasks and missions later in the game.

We also use the Linus house rule that, in Arkham Encounters, you can choose to go through an open gate OR have an encounter at the location. It does make the game a little easier by allowing for occasional teamwork (I'll go clear out the monsters and have an encounter, you follow me in and go through the gate). This is ameliorated by our typical use of several expansions at once.

• The Professor likes this

#62 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:00 AM

We dump the task or mission to one side and draw a new card. Anyone can take up the task or mission by moving to the first location (and in the case of a Mission, making the relevant sacrifices)

• The Professor and Soakman like this

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#63 Corpus

Corpus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

That's a solid idea. I like it a lot!

#64 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

I use so many custom rules for so long it is hard to remember nb what ones are in fact custom and which are official.

I guess my main ones are 

1) Gates are placed face down, and revealed when you move though them. 

2) Gate seals start with 3 health. Each gate opening at the same location removes a health, after the 3rd health is removed a gate burst occurs.

3) Movement point are produced in the other world. A great way to read spooky books and learn spells and skills and wot not. 

4) Monster must be delt with any time ending movement, including exiting a gate.

5) I both stacks of gate markers, Lurker and Originals. I put them in a bowl and draw like I do the monster cup.

6) When running many expansions to stop dilution I split encounter decks into those of each expansion. A Die roll selects the deck to draw from. This way no matter how many expansions you run the theme of each one can come though very strong. 

7) For speed of set up we set start values for stats on investigators after the 1st mythos card is resolved during setup. So we set the stats as part of turn 1. This allows the host to have the game setup and ready to run by the time we all get there and now we just need to choose characters. As people come in they set there character no need to do it all at same time. 

8) Payments like say sacrificing 2 health as part of a mission can be done with 1 health, and cause death.(same with sanity) Just as when you are at 1 health you can take 2 damage and die from a monster. The idea is that say in a mission you do the ritual, it just kills you.

9) Close Locations (from terror or w/e) do not completely close the location, only the "store" / special text of the location. You, monsters.. anything can still move in there or spawn there. The idea is that these are large locations a single shop closing doesn't mean there isn't strange freakness going on around there.

I have more, just can not think of them right now, as I said they are sorta natural for me ... not sure which or custom or not. 

I really like the idea of the "thematic" monsters someone mentioned. The problem I think I see is that closing gates will greatly affect monster count... . . 

#65 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

For those of you who play "all-in" games (using every aspect of every expansion) with four Investigators, I offer you the following variant. Of course, if you play with more or less than four Investigators, your mileage will definitely vary.

General Guidance

Mythos 0 - Turn 4: As you put into play the Mythos card, only place gates in Arkham. Ignore Double-Doom cards and Rumors. If you reveal an expansion board Gate location, resolve everything else...Monster Movement, Clue token, and Headline/Environment. Starting on Turn 5, play each Mythos card, as normal, revealing Gates anywhere on any board.

Rationale: In this way, you should, based on the percentages for each Gate opening, have 2-3 Gates open in the first four Turns, instead of 4-5.

Rumors: Reduce the # of tokens, as if you were playing with two Investigators for Rumors such as Nightmare Pool, but for The Key and the Gate, consider 4 Investigators in play.

Rationale: Rumors should be difficult to pass, but not impossible, given the great distances Investigators must travel when all boards are in play.

Maximum # of Gates: 10.

Rationale: There are 20 Unstable Locations across the four boards. Ten open Gates represents 50% of all of the locations with the potential to spawn a Gate.

Maximum # of Monsters in Arkham and the Outskirts: 5.

Rationale: As with Rumors, above, playing as if you had two Investigators would warrant a Maximum # of Monsters in Arkham at 2 + 3= 5 and for simplicity, I've used the same value for the Maximum # of Monsters in the Outskirts.

Expansion Changes

Curse of the Dark Pharaoh: No changes (I currently have incorporated both the original and the new version, so play includes both "Barred from Neighborhood" cards and Patrol Markers).

Dunwich Horror: No changes

The King in Yellow: No changes

Kingsport Horror: Apply a Rift Marker/Token to the Rift Track only when a new Gate opens on any board, including Gate Bursts. Optional: As the Rifts occur over the town of Kingsport, place the newly opened Rift at the location designated by the last placed Rift Marker/Token on the Rift Track instead of at the Gate location on the Mythos card.

Rationale: Performing "Rift Duty" can prove boring for most Investigators. At least having a potential combat in Kingsport should make things interesting. Also, Rifts opening in Kingsport, is the very premise of the expansion...these tears in the fabric are happening over this coastal city.

Black Goat of the Woods: No changes

Innsmouth Horror: Place a Deep Ones Token on the Deep Ones Rising (DOR) Track only when a monster enters a vortex. Additionally, once the DOR Track is full, add a Doom Token to the Doom Track instead of automatically awakening the Great Old One. This happens during every Mythos Phase while the DOR Track remains filled.

Rationale: Similar to the Rifts in Kingsport, the DOR Track should not be the focus of the Investigator's skills and abilities, but there are times when they may need to travel there and deal with the situation. The DOR Track should not serve as a 2nd Doom Track.

Lurker at the Threshold: You may not use the Power tokens as Clue tokens when the card is exhausted. Thus, if an Investigator takes a Blood Pact, exhausts the card and sacrifices 3 Stamina to receive the 3 Power tokens, place them on the exhausted Blood Pact card. During the next Turn's Upkeep Phase, refresh the Blood Pact card, allowing the Investigator to use the Power tokens.

Rationale: Given the currently accepted rule, it's far too easy to exploit the Lurker.

Miskatonic Horror: No change

That's it ~ a few tweaks and I can tell you that it works very well. Again, Arkham Horror isn't about winning, it's a about the story, the theme. As I've said many times before, "it's about the journey, not the destination." If I can maintain a win rate consistent with the average based on 10,000 games on Tibs' spreadsheet, while enjoying the game that much more, great!

If you have any thoughts or comments, please let me know.

Cheers,

Joe/the Professor

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#66 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

I would like to know if anyone has any house rules that increase the role of organizations. Games go by and no one joins the Twilight Lodge, or the 1000 cult, Sheldon Gang etc etc etc. These cards seam to get very little play in our games.

I use a rule variant where if you went to a special text location and triggered the special text you gained a free movement equal to 1/2 your movement points as long as you land on a unstable location. The idea is that there is a number of neat location abilities that in many games there simply is no time to ever really use. This rule allows players to activate these locations more often and I feel it gives the game more of a feeling of a "town".

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#67 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:36 AM

I developed the following one to fix the 1000 Cult:

The-Cult-of-the-Thousand-Front-Face.png

Enjoy!

• Steve-O and Soakman like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#68 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

wow that is a neat herald. Whispering in Darkness is pretty hardcore! Still I like it.

There needs to be some database of all the cool stuff people  have made that can be easily browsed.

• Julia likes this

#69 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

There was a project to add custom material to Thelric's website to have everything hosted there. I entered some of my stuff there, but then I stopped. No idea if he's still running that project, tho.

Fortunately, many of us have in their signature a link to their custom creations. Clearly, the requirement for visibility is that people keep on posting on this fora so that actually their signature could be read. With Avi and Veet leaving, and Amikezor sporadicly passing by... most of the good stuff is gone.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#70 Soakman

Soakman

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

wow that is a neat herald. Whispering in Darkness is pretty hardcore! Still I like it.

There needs to be some database of all the cool stuff people  have made that can be easily browsed.

Wow, Julia, he's not kidding. That Herald looks fantastic.  I may have to give it a try this weekend. I've always wanted the cult memberships and corruptions to have more of an impact on the game. If you have tried it out yet, how difficult do you think this herald makes a game? Is it significant? Or just a different flavor?

EDIT: I didn't realize it was an Institution. Miskatonic Horror is the only expansion I do not have yet. But I'm excited to try this out. :o

Edited by Soakman, 23 July 2014 - 05:33 AM.

• Julia likes this

Gallery of Thematic Custom Investigators

You can find the .EON File Page @ Board Game Geek! Just follow this link: http://boardgamegeek...#comment4314881

#71 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

Thanks, Soakman :)

The Institution is intended mostly to add flavour to the game. It could become annoying if you keep on donating all your belongings to Shubbie's church, tho, so, you have to pay a little attention when dealing with cultists. Still, I'd not say it raises the difficulty too much (I tried to stay calm, since Institution should influence the game without altering too much the balance)

Let me know if you try it!

#72 Soakman

Soakman

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

Thanks, Soakman :)

The Institution is intended mostly to add flavour to the game. It could become annoying if you keep on donating all your belongings to Shubbie's church, tho, so, you have to pay a little attention when dealing with cultists. Still, I'd not say it raises the difficulty too much (I tried to stay calm, since Institution should influence the game without altering too much the balance)

Let me know if you try it!

We're trying it today! We're going to start in a few hours. I doubt you will see this before we do, but which expansions would you suggest to use in tandem with this institution? The only one I DON'T have is Miskatonic Horror. This means my cult encounter deck might be a little small as well. Would you suggest multiple boards? I was thinking Kingsport simply because with the smaller cult encounter pool, Kingsport won't add any more unstable locations which will make reshuffles etc less common. The other option is for to go gung-ho and just wiki the cult encounters I don't have yet. 

EDIT: I am PROBABLY going to regret this, but I decided we're using Kingsport and Innsmouth + Personal Stories, relationships, madness/injuries, and your Church of the Thousand. Because we haven't played 2 additional boards in a while, my usual ban on Patrice has been removed, players can choose or pick their investigators randomly, and we're using Hypnos as our guardian. I will likely send you a PM later about the session; I don't want to clog up this thread. :P  Wish us luck!!!

Edited by Soakman, 25 July 2014 - 09:33 AM.

• Julia likes this

Gallery of Thematic Custom Investigators

You can find the .EON File Page @ Board Game Geek! Just follow this link: http://boardgamegeek...#comment4314881

#73 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Aye, maybe I'm a little late. I'd have suggested you to use Kingsport and Dunwich, just to have some more action but without suffering from the Devil Reef syndrome (Innsmouth will be the place to go once I finish the Esoteric Order of Dagon Custom Institution. Don't hold your breath, it could be a long way).

Patrice should grant you an easy win, and also a good way to taste every bit of the game, and explore a little more!

Have fun (which is the most important thing, in Arkham and in life. The ride can be long or short, but it must be a good one!)

• Soakman likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS