• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

Julia,

That's funny   I can't tell you how many times I've won with that strategy.  But, I must admit, my go-to wargame is Axis and Allies.  Most likely, because I developed an additional 20 pages of rules, rolling the entire war effort back to 1939...

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#22 avec

avec

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

Pulsar said:

Ah, okay, I see the problem.  My attempt to consolidate veteran players' assessments of unworkable rules in the same place, alongside their attempted fixes, is somehow not kosher.  And although fine veterans of specific games, such as yourselves, are using it for exactly what I intended, well-intended, a clear, purposed thread, even for games I've never played or are yet to be born—which would head off a lot of timewasting and confusion for players like me, searching the forums for exactly this information—is somehow not cool.

And I think I've figured out why.  While writing messages, my points here go up 5, or not at all,  But if I post a new thread in a new game, it goes up ten.  And because I must have nefariously joined this community just to crack what is, I must admit, a somewhat counterproductive point system (as it encourages more spread-out threads, the opposite of what needs to happen in these forums), I must be gaming the system.

Well thank you, Avi, I don't care either, and I'm really glad people are using the thread in games I'm interested in.  It's already helping me make decisions as to what to buy and what to wait on.  I think I'll bow out now, and just read.  Wait, right after I post something on the Collectors' page.

I don't care about the points.  It's just that most people who post about a game are fans of the game.  Or they hate it, or they have some personal connection to it.  In your case, though, you are posting about games that (as you say) you've never played or even seen.  Why ask about house rules to a game if you don't even know what the official rules are?  You wouldn't want to know for your own sake, so I assume you're asking for the sake of gamers who want to share their house rules, but for some reason feel like they can't.  It makes me feel uneasy somehow.  Maybe it's just me.  As an fyi, the last person who tried to actively shape the forum community turned out to be a little, uh, scary.  You seem like an okay guy, so maybe I'm over reacting.  Cheers.

#23 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

The Professor said:

Julia,

That's funny   I can't tell you how many times I've won with that strategy.  But, I must admit, my go-to wargame is Axis and Allies.  Most likely, because I developed an additional 20 pages of rules, rolling the entire war effort back to 1939...

I never tried Axis & Allies, unfortunately. Once I had some friends playing Advanced Squad Leader, I thought it was a blast, but I was too young to get the rules and so on ;-) Sounds nice the way you develop the rules to start from the beginning ;-) The only historical wargame I play (almost) constantly (once every 4 months or so) is Hannibal.

Last point (a little OT, I'm afraid; maybe I should post this in the new-OT-thread ::laughing::): how ended your game against Atlach? Did I miss your report, or has it still to be written?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#24 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:10 AM

Pulsar said:

Ah, okay, I see the problem.  My attempt to consolidate veteran players' assessments of unworkable rules in the same place, alongside their attempted fixes, is somehow not kosher.  And although fine veterans of specific games, such as yourselves, are using it for exactly what I intended, well-intended, a clear, purposed thread, even for games I've never played or are yet to be born—which would head off a lot of timewasting and confusion for players like me, searching the forums for exactly this information—is somehow not cool.

And I think I've figured out why.  While writing messages, my points here go up 5, or not at all,  But if I post a new thread in a new game, it goes up ten.  And because I must have nefariously joined this community just to crack what is, I must admit, a somewhat counterproductive point system (as it encourages more spread-out threads, the opposite of what needs to happen in these forums), I must be gaming the system.

Well thank you, Avi, I don't care either, and I'm really glad people are using the thread in games I'm interested in.  It's already helping me make decisions as to what to buy and what to wait on.  I think I'll bow out now, and just read.  Wait, right after I post something on the Collectors' page.

Well...  Some interpreted what you were doing as a practical joke actually.  Not an attempt to get points (I'd care about that even less, if that's possible).

I want to point out that I'm about as veteran as anyone on this board, give or take a bit, but I don't really use house rules or fixes.  Sure, I create variants, and heralds, and ancient ones (that are essentially house rules), but I don't use any of them regularly.  I think aside from base game Arkham, the game functions fine.  Although I do enjoy spicing it up a bit.

#25 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:21 AM

avec said:

I don't care about the points.  It's just that most people who post about a game are fans of the game.  Or they hate it, or they have some personal connection to it.  In your case, though, you are posting about games that (as you say) you've never played or even seen.  Why ask about house rules to a game if you don't even know what the official rules are?  You wouldn't want to know for your own sake, so I assume you're asking for the sake of gamers who want to share their house rules, but for some reason feel like they can't.  It makes me feel uneasy somehow.  Maybe it's just me.  As an fyi, the last person who tried to actively shape the forum community turned out to be a little, uh, scary.  You seem like an okay guy, so maybe I'm over reacting.  Cheers.

Ah yes...  The Unspeakable Terror.  Still casting its shadow over our forum.  Paranoia.  Aggression.  Hate.  Yesss yesss more!  Cough.  I mean, huh?  What?

It is a bit strange to ask about rules changes for games you don't own.  Have you played them before?  Or is this all just incomprehensible gibberish to you?  My posts not included of course, they are incomprehensible gibberish to everyone.

#26 EcnoTheNeato

EcnoTheNeato

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:48 AM

Yeah...that would be me who thought this might be a joke...maybe it was because of the WAY THE TITLE WAS WRITTEN IN WHICH CASE I APOLOGIZE.

But yes, it's always fair to ask questions, but to ask them because you feel no one has or ever will ask them is a might-bit silly. That's what these forums are for, so why would anyone hesitate :-D We always get new people to the game that ask all the silly questions we did when we was younger, and there's an entire forum dedicated to variants and houserules! Most people come on and say they don't like certain aspects of the game, and ask us for possible fixes. For example, people think Patrice is over-powered (I just experienced her for the first time last night. Holy COW is she amazing), so Tibs and a few others have a few houserules/fixes/variants to "fix" her

#27 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

EcnoTheNeato said:

Most people come on and say they don't like certain aspects of the game, and ask us for possible fixes. For example, people think Patrice is over-powered (I just experienced her for the first time last night. Holy COW is she amazing), so Tibs and a few others have a few houserules/fixes/variants to "fix" her

I would fix her with a .45 automatic...  Except she'd probably use her damn clues to pass the fight check.  How I hate her.

#28 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

Julia,

Regarding the Atlach Nacha game ~ very, very exciting...very short.  I have to write-up the story soon.  Right now, I'm finishing-up the last book for my Air Command and Staff College, so it may another week.  Sorry...but nice to hear that I have a following...of sorts.

The Professor

The Professor

#29 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hey, no rush & no probs at all! Thanks for the feedback :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#30 mi-go hunter

mi-go hunter

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

Avi_dreader said:

Risk involves luck, but they aren't equivalent :')

Speaking of luck, one game my sister (that enchantress!) was Rita Young, and she unflinchingly plunged into a horde of monsters and wiped them all out easily. After defeating the Shan, the conversation went like this:

Me: "Hey, didn't you have zero clue tokens?"

Sister: "Yeah, so?"

Me: "Did you realize that you only rolled one die for that Horror check?"

Sister: "And-?"

Me: "And that if you failed, you would have - ahem - died?"

Sister: " :::Blinks::: Oh... well, I didn't fail, did I?"

Me: ":::Smacks face:::"

She hardly knew what she was doing! Sometimes, you get the best of luck if you ignore all the odds.

#31 avec

avec

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

mi-go hunter said:

Avi_dreader said:

Speaking of luck, one game my sister (that enchantress!) was Rita Young, and she unflinchingly plunged into a horde of monsters and wiped them all out easily. After defeating the Shan, the conversation went like this:

She hardly knew what she was doing! Sometimes, you get the best of luck if you ignore all the odds.

You should post this on the dice rolling thread

#32 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:00 AM

mi-go hunter said:

Avi_dreader said:

I'd go into cardiac arrest if one of the people I was playing with did that to me.  Sometimes some of my "friends" deliberately make these sorts of  decisions because they enjoy putting the horror back into my experience of Arkham Horror...  Then I have to murder and eat them ;') Or at least not invite them over for a game of AH as often.

#33 Krawhitham

Krawhitham

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:41 AM

mi-go hunter said:

Avi_dreader said:

Fate protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise.

#34 RocksLikeToast

RocksLikeToast

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

heh when i was teaching some kids the game some of my friends decided they would make stupid decisions like that on purpose...one kid had just come out of a gate with 5 gates already sealed...and had enough clues to win the game... another kid died to a gug while he was in the OW... and so when he came out of the gate instead of just winning the game he decided he would avenge our friends death by going after the Gug...well he lost that battle and it took us another hour to finish the game...

#35 EcnoTheNeato

EcnoTheNeato

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

Hahahaha, love it. Sometimes I prolong the game if I play with others and we're just having fun. That's often when we race to see who will be accepted in the Twilight Lodge or Sheldon Gang first...

#36 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

RocksLikeToast said:

heh when i was teaching some kids the game some of my friends decided they would make stupid decisions like that on purpose...one kid had just come out of a gate with 5 gates already sealed...and had enough clues to win the game... another kid died to a gug while he was in the OW... and so when he came out of the gate instead of just winning the game he decided he would avenge our friends death by going after the Gug...well he lost that battle and it took us another hour to finish the game...

::Laughter:: add him to my hit list ;'D Best stupid story I've heard so far.

#37 Pulsar

Pulsar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

Ah, okay thank you Avec, and others.  I really didn't know there was someone who set a precedent for my behavior, and now that I look at it I see that posting in ALL CAPS looks as manic as my high school counselor said I was.  Believe it or not I'm a veteran gamer, just never been on a forum, of any kind.  I'm glad I read this thread again though—I was just in a gentleman's quarrel over in Cadwallon and I'm not even sure what we were arguing about.  It makes more sense now.  I'm not trying to take control of or take over the forums.  I'm an editor, and I guess a systems editor by hobby, and I apply it to most everything I see.  Can I ask you folks' opinion: Do you think it's a good idea to have veteran gamers' lasting complaints about games in one thread, posted along with their discussion of the house rules they use to fix them?

My intent in posting that for every game was so I could see the integrity of the current version of certain games.  Some are going to be reprinted (or in perpetual reprinting process  ) and from reading till my eyes looked twelve past stoned I kept thinking, man, if the posters who've really gone through this game put all their fixes on one thread I could see how easy it would be to play it at high integrity, whether I should leave it alone entirely, or whether I should wait for the reprint.  I assumed there are others like me who were looking for the same thing.  Also, I assumed for those reprints currently in production, it would be an easy thread for FFG to draw truly useful suggestions from, and to comment or ask questions in the process.  I had no idea a ghost haunted these forums. I wonder if I look like it when I roll from tossing and turning straight into online nightdrunk ranting.  That last sentence just answered itself :)

#38 mi-go hunter

mi-go hunter

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

RocksLikeToast said:

"I must take revenge on the foul beast that has slain my friend!"

"No! Don't! What would he have done if he was in your place?!"

"He..... he would seal this gate and save the world."

"That's right! Don't hesitate! If you hunted down this Gug, your friend's struggle would have been in vain as the world plunges into darkness!"

"But... I can't. I must go!"

"Don't-"

"I MUST SLAY THIS GUG! YOU CANNOT INTERFERE!!!" (Turns away from the gate)

"No... NOOO!!!"

Gotta love the drama that AH can play out!

#39 Pulsar

Pulsar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

I just got Tibbs's Constraining Starting Items list and it changed my mind.  I might have to get my own copy of this game now.  If you haven't seen this 17-page mini-expansion from him you really should ask him to send you a copy.  It's less than two Megs and beautiful, and seems well thought-out.  Completely off topic, I'd love to see The Professor's 20 pages (really?) of Axis & Allies rules :)  That was our favorite game in junior high; I'd love to see what you did with it.

#40 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

Pulsar,

I sold about a dozen or so copies years ago.  These days, I'm happy to provide it to folks who keep the game alive.  As an ol' History major, I tried to reflect some of the realities of 1939.  Shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

The Professor

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS