Deathwatch Living Errata/FAQ

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#21 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

well... thats interesting... pretty harsh, but good clarification. Good improvement for melee I guess. I wouldn't say its too terrible, it just means that you dont want to bring a gun into a swordfight. Same as how the reverse is also true.

#22 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

That's seemingly the opposite of what we've been told before, but whatever

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#23 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

MILLANDSON said:

I know. I wonder if it's the last thing we've heard on it. Me, I'm going to allow swift/lightning strikes with pistols. Maybe it's worth double-checking it? Wouldn't be the first time for a swift correction... anyway, I am not going to ask the man. Don't want to pester him.

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#24 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

I have to add a thought here: how do you recognize an Assault Marine's handedness when he wields Bolt Pistol and Chainsword? The Bolt Pistol will be in the off-hand because swift/lightning attack do not apply?

I'll stick to the house rule that swift/lightning attack do apply.

Alex

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#25 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

MILLANDSON said:

Not just contradictory to what we've previously been told, but contradicted by the same rules guru from the past.  After all, when this was originally asked and answered on the Dark Heresy forums oh, almost 3 years ago now, it was Ross who answered people.

I think the change is in attempt to balance certain aspects of play.  But given the character I play sucks in melee (WS 24) and does not do TWW, this really turns him into 'Stealer treats to be anymore.  In almost 2 years of playing Stealers are the only things I've ever had to be in melee with consistently and had to rely on the spray and pray with a pistol.

I don't know.  I dislike the change given the experiences I've had and am having with the game I'm in.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

#26 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

Brother Praetus said:

I don't know.  I dislike the change given the experiences I've had and am having with the game I'm in.

-=Brother Praetus=-

I would say some rules plain hurt to change in existing campaigns, especially if people have built characters and encounters around a different interpretation (previous RAW); in my past experiences my group would simply hold off on implementing changes like this until the next round.  Or at least allows the player who is boned by said change to make character alterations to fit with the new direction.  I hope for your Adept's sake your GM does the same.

#27 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

Charmander said:

Brother Praetus said:

-=Brother Praetus=-

I would say some rules plain hurt to change in existing campaigns, especially if people have built characters and encounters around a different interpretation (previous RAW); in my past experiences my group would simply hold off on implementing changes like this until the next round.  Or at least allows the player who is boned by said change to make character alterations to fit with the new direction.  I hope for your Adept's sake your GM does the same.

Dual Inferno Pistols? It's the only that comes to mind against Genestealers. Even then they will have one good dodge. At least.

Alex

#28 Elesthor

Elesthor

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

ak-73 said:

This will stir up some commotion. Some answers from Ross Watson:

> 1) Can pistols burst in close combat in DW? (And if yes, doesn't
> that carry a high risk of wildly straying shots?)

No. Pistols fired in melee fire a single shot.
 > 2) If no, does that mean this is a DW-specific change or does that
> apply to all of 40k RP?

It applies to Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch.

> 3) What actions can be done with pistols in close combat other than
> Standard Attacks? Multiple Attack (if so only 2-handed attacks only
> or does swift strike, etc also apply)? All-out attack? Guarded
> attack? I am asking because page 240 indicates more than standard
> attacks are possible.

Standard Attack (or as part of two-weapon fighting) only.
 > 4) Does the answer given to question 3 carry on to all of 40K RP or
> only DW?

It applies to Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch.

Given the above do you think that DHs dual shot can be executed in melee range with tww and two pistols?

#29 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:11 AM

Elesthor said:

Given the above do you think that DHs dual shot can be executed in melee range with tww and two pistols?

Page 140 says that Ranged Combat Talents apply, so things like Mighty Shot Talent would be in... this leads me to believe that Dual Shot (which does exist in DW too) might be in too.

Alex

#30 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:24 AM

ak-73 said:

Dual Inferno Pistols? It's the only that comes to mind against Genestealers. Even then they will have one good dodge. At least. 

Alex 

Given I play an Adept in Dark Heresy, you're talking about three talents that I would have to take as very expensive Elite Advances; Pistol Training (Melta), Two-Weapon Wielder (Ballistic) and Gunslinger.  I've already got Ambidextrous as it's available to all Adepts at Rank 3 (Scribe).  Pistol Training (Melta) is not available on the branch I took.  Our Deathwatch game hasn't actually started up yet.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

#31 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

For completeness Happy Daze's suggested amendments surrounding the Neuroglottis:

"Step 1) Add Survival to the list of Starting Skills on page 36.

Step 2) Remove Tracking from the list of Starting Skills on page 36.

Step 3) Replace the text for the Neuroglottis with the following:

Neuroglottis: The Space Marine may detect any poisons or toxins by taste with a successful Challenging (+0) Awareness Test. He may also detect any poisons or toxins by smell with a successful Hard (-20) Awareness Test. The Space Marine treats Tracking as a Basic Skill, and may (at the GM's discretion) gain a +10 bonus to any Tracking Tests against an opponent he has tasted. However, it is important to note that none of these bonuses apply if the Space Marine is wearing a helmet for a sealed set of armour (e.g., Power Armour, Artificer Armour, or Terminator Armour).

I think that this accomplishes what I want without drastic alteration. It gives all Space Marines the training to Survive in hostile environments. Space Marines will still have a reason to purchase Tracking (from Rank 2 General Space Marine), and both Space Wolves and Storm Wardens will still have an advantage in purchasing Tracking from their Chapter Advances."

Alex

#32 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:26 AM

As it is, Wrathful Descent and Thunder Charge are subject to potential abuse. It should be clarified that the WD+1d10 is a one-time bonus per whole charge if at least one attack does damage or sth like that.

Alex

#33 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

ak-73 said:

For completeness Happy Daze's suggested amendments surrounding the Neuroglottis:

"Step 1) Add Survival to the list of Starting Skills on page 36.

Step 2) Remove Tracking from the list of Starting Skills on page 36.

Step 3) Replace the text for the Neuroglottis with the following:

Neuroglottis: The Space Marine may detect any poisons or toxins by taste with a successful Challenging (+0) Awareness Test. He may also detect any poisons or toxins by smell with a successful Hard (-20) Awareness Test. The Space Marine treats Tracking as a Basic Skill, and may (at the GM's discretion) gain a +10 bonus to any Tracking Tests against an opponent he has tasted. However, it is important to note that none of these bonuses apply if the Space Marine is wearing a helmet for a sealed set of armour (e.g., Power Armour, Artificer Armour, or Terminator Armour).

I think that this accomplishes what I want without drastic alteration. It gives all Space Marines the training to Survive in hostile environments. Space Marines will still have a reason to purchase Tracking (from Rank 2 General Space Marine), and both Space Wolves and Storm Wardens will still have an advantage in purchasing Tracking from their Chapter Advances."

Alex

I've actually decided against Step 1 (it's still on GSM for 300xp if you want to take it), but I'm going to stick with Steps 2 & 3 for my Deathwatch gaming.  It helps keep some purpose for the Space Wolves and Storm Wardens having Tracking on their Chapter Advances.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#34 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

ak-73 said:

As it is, Wrathful Descent and Thunder Charge are subject to potential abuse. It should be clarified that the WD+1d10 is a one-time bonus per whole charge if at least one attack does damage or sth like that.

Alex

My posts certainly seem to be catching your eye.  I'll see if there's anything else I can dig up.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#35 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

HappyDaze said:

ak-73 said:

Alex

My posts certainly seem to be catching your eye.  I'll see if there's anything else I can dig up.

Well, you are raising issues that have been raised before and didn't make it into the faq (too many issues, I guess). I'm going to try to post these here to make sure they make it into the next version, if possible.

Alex

#36 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

BA Chapter Trapping Golden Icon(Purity) description should specify that a minimum of 1 Corruption Point gets inflicted. Otherwise power gamers might this and choose Rite Of Sanctioning(Daemonic Mask) without incurring an additional risk. Combined with other bonuses like Fear The Darkness, Terror be they friend PA or Chaplain powers a Librarian of Terror can be munchkined.

Alex

#37 vogue69

vogue69

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

under auger cybernetics it states, that good quality auger arrays work even as a Full Auspex. What the hell is a full auspex?

#38 tkis

tkis

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

A full auspex is a normal auspex, the reroll is what good quality provides

#39 Deathseed

Deathseed

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:24 AM

ak-73 said:

I have to add a thought here: how do you recognize an Assault Marine's handedness when he wields Bolt Pistol and Chainsword? The Bolt Pistol will be in the off-hand because swift/lightning attack do not apply?

Alex

All space marines are ambidextrous. Handedness is irrelevant.

You think you've got problems. What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed robot? No, don't even bother answering. I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you, and even I don't know the answer.

#40 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:28 AM

Deathseed said:

ak-73 said:

Alex

All space marines are ambidextrous. Handedness is irrelevant.

Off-hand as in: the hand to which swift and lightning attack do not get allocated. ;-)

Alex

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS