Jump to content



Photo

Ritual Master and similar Strangers from Sacred Pool


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

Q: When a Character lands on the Ritual Master, do ALL Good and Neutral Characters have to lose one Life and put it on the Stranger card?

I hope not, but the card is not 100% clear. Generally a Stranger affects only the Character who lands on him/her, but perhaps this person does a  ritual that drains Life from Good/Neutral Characters in all land and give it for evil's sake? An Evil Character drawing the Ritual Master won't lose a Life, but has no Lives to take too, if card works only on landing Characters.

There are also similar cards that work with other Alighments, Redeemer perhaps (don't want to check now after a quite long game).



#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

    Talisman Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

The_Warlock said:

Q: When a Character lands on the Ritual Master, do ALL Good and Neutral Characters have to lose one Life and put it on the Stranger card?

I hope not, but the card is not 100% clear. Generally a Stranger affects only the Character who lands on him/her, but perhaps this person does a  ritual that drains Life from Good/Neutral Characters in all land and give it for evil's sake? An Evil Character drawing the Ritual Master won't lose a Life, but has no Lives to take too, if card works only on landing Characters.

There are also similar cards that work with other Alighments, Redeemer perhaps (don't want to check now after a quite long game).

Yes that is the correct method when drawing the Ritual Master. Good and Neutral characters immediately lose 1 life and place it on the card. The first evil character to land there (or an evil character who draws the Redeemer) may take all the life counters there. The Redeemer and Renegade work in exactly the same manner!

Xmas wishes,

Ell.

Ps. We are playing a game on xmas day evening. Only good characters will be shuffled and dealt!



#3 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Ell, very clear now.

My friends were not convinced of this, but when I wrote the above post I've noticed that without automatic Life loss the card has no real purpose.

Merry Christmas to you and happy good-oriented Talisman game!



#4 guciomir

guciomir

    Member

  • Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

does it work that way: ?

We have 3 characters in game, good with 4 life, evil with 3 life, neutral with 2 life.

1. neutral character draws ritual master, all neutrals/good lose life. Good has now 3 life, neutral only 1.

2. Few turns later, good character visits ritual master and triggers him again. Good has now 2 life, netrual character is killed. (there are 4 life tokens on the card)

3. Few turns later, evil character visits ritual master and triggers him once again. Good is down to 1 life, there are 5 life tokens on the card total. Evil characters gains those 5 lives, ritual master descends to discard pile.

 

 



#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:46 PM

guciomir said:

does it work that way: ?

We have 3 characters in game, good with 4 life, evil with 3 life, neutral with 2 life.

1. neutral character draws ritual master, all neutrals/good lose life. Good has now 3 life, neutral only 1.

2. Few turns later, good character visits ritual master and triggers him again. Good has now 2 life, netrual character is killed. (there are 4 life tokens on the card)

3. Few turns later, evil character visits ritual master and triggers him once again. Good is down to 1 life, there are 5 life tokens on the card total. Evil characters gains those 5 lives, ritual master descends to discard pile.

The text of such cards has no mention of Characters landing on, except the Character that takes Lives as a reward. After Elliott's clarification, it seems clear to me that the loss of Life happens when card is drawn (no matter who draws it). After that, the Stranger is like a pool of Life counters available only to a specific Alignment.



#6 talismanisland

talismanisland

    Harbourmaster

  • Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

Ah, never mind. Brain fart...
 


Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#7 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:22 AM

Good question from the warlock.

i thought the same as him. 

i was also thinking that the ritual master will only  steal a life when good and neutral characters will land on that card. 

so, all good/ neutral characters will lose a life when a evil character will land on the ritual master?

thanks elliot



#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

    Member

  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

Velhart said:

 

Good question from the warlock.

i thought the same as him. 

i was also thinking that the ritual master will only  steal a life when good and neutral characters will land on that card. 

so, all good/ neutral characters will lose a life when a evil character will land on the ritual master?

thanks elliot

 

 

 

Is an evil character able to take their lives immediately after drawing the Ritual Master?

Correction: Ah, Ell. already said that. OK, then :)



#9 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:29 AM

 I have sent the question to John goodenough.

Nothing is said that all good/neutral characters must lose a life when a evil or other character lands on the card.

It simple says that good/neutral characters lose 1 life. and if you are evil, you can claim those lives on the card. something like that..



#10 guciomir

guciomir

    Member

  • Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:02 AM

You sent a question, but did you receive the reply?



#11 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

guciomir said:

You sent a question, but did you receive the reply?

Not yet.

But i will hear something soon..

 



#12 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:43 AM

Oke Guys..

I got a quick answer today from John Goodenough, and it was exactly as i expected.

 

Question

 The good/neutral characters will only lose a life when they land on  the ritual master card right?

A: Correct

Q: In other words: it will not effect all characters at the same moment  when a evil character land on the Ritual master..?

A: An evil character landing on the Ritual Master has no effect on other characters: he simply gains any tokens on the Ritual Master card.



#13 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

    Talisman Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:12 AM

Velhart said:

Oke Guys..

I got a quick answer today from John Goodenough, and it was exactly as i expected.

 

Question

 The good/neutral characters will only lose a life when they land on  the ritual master card right?

A: Correct

Q: In other words: it will not effect all characters at the same moment  when a evil character land on the Ritual master..?

A: An evil character landing on the Ritual Master has no effect on other characters: he simply gains any tokens on the Ritual Master card.

The answer I gave earlier in this thread was only correct during the playtesting phase of the Sacred Pool. Sorry if this misled you guys after it was released. We are often told different things during playtest!!!

Ell.



#14 guciomir

guciomir

    Member

  • Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

What is the exact wording of the card? How did it look like during playtesting?



#15 Cynewulf

Cynewulf

    Member

  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:43 AM

 



#16 Rimmer

Rimmer

    Member

  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:38 AM

What if an evil character draws the Ritual Master?

Is he discarded with no effect? Or does he wait for a prey?



#17 frogemoth

frogemoth

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:28 AM

I would say you leave the card in play until at least one life have been placed on the card.



#18 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:37 AM

frogemoth said:

I would say you leave the card in play until at least one life have been placed on the card.

I agree



#19 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

Velhart said:

 

frogemoth said:

 

I would say you leave the card in play until at least one life have been placed on the card.

 

 

I agree

 

 

I think that the Ritual Master/Redeemersimilar cards are less effective with this ruling, but since the chief game designer stated this I will play this way. In my game last evening I drew Redeemer as the Cleric and nothing happened. About 10 turns later the Ragnarok wiped out the board and the Redeemer had no effect on the Characters around (4 player game with only Dungeon board). A bit lame.



#20 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

The_Warlock said:

 

 

 

I think that the Ritual Master/Redeemersimilar cards are less effective with this ruling, but since the chief game designer stated this I will play this way. In my game last evening I drew Redeemer as the Clericnothing happened. About 10 turns later the Ragnarok wiped out the boardthe Redeemer had no effect on the Characters around (4 player game with only Dungeon board). A bit lame.

 

 

That's possible indeed.

But Evil and neutral characters(redeemer) or good/ neutral(ritual master) or good/evil( renegade) shall try not to land on that card, so they must move the other way around.

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS