• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 Von Todkopf

Von Todkopf

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

Lucky_Strike said:

At first, I thought they handed me the wrong dossier. I couldn't believe they wanted this man dead.

Everybody wanted me to do it, him most of all. I felt like he was up there, waiting for me to take the pain away. He just wanted to go out like a soldier, standing up, not like some poor, wasted, rag-a**ed renegade. Even the jungle wanted him dead, and that's who he really took his orders from anyway.

Hey, man, you don't talk to the Colonel. You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet-warrior in the classic sense. I mean, sometimes he'll, uh, well, you'll say "Hello" to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you, and he won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say "Do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life? 'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you'..." – I mean, I'm no, I can't – I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's, he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas.

My thoughts exactly, as well.

#22 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

Von Todkopf said:

My thoughts exactly, as well.

The old ones are the best.

#23 Shaun

Shaun

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

How about this as a set-piece on a mission:

The Deathwatch have boarded a space-hulk and realise that one of the ships in the hulk is a Traitor Marine battle barge and they are directing the hulk towards an inhabited planet in the system. The Imperial Navy is moving in to destroy the hulk but won't be able to compete with the unexpected firepower the battle barge is packing. It is obvious to the squad that boarding the battle barge is tantamount to suicide so they start to consider a) ways off the hulk (their shuttle was taken out after they were on board) and b) how to disable critical systems on the barge. They find a depowered and damaged teleportarium in one of the ships making up the hulk along with two teleport beacons, the tech-marine can cobble together enough power cells to hold a charge sufficient to teleport three people a short distance and he can provide it with sufficient charge each round to teleport one person, though it can't teleport whilst charging.

The squad know that they'll be overmatched on the bridge, but figure if they make a lightning raid (they are already inside the shields) they can cause sufficient disruption to give the Imperial Navy a fighting chance.

It opens up a lot of options about getting over, who goes first, when they are coming back, etc. that adds a puzzle element to the combat. Knowing that they only have to survive and cause some carnage for a few rounds lets you throw some nasty stuff at them as well. I had five fairly high ranking Chaos Marines on the bridge along with a very proficient psyker as captain and two Terminator bodyguards, plus a load of cultists and servitors operating the ship's systems. The PCs plan went off fairly well (aside from a couple of them ending up in a bad way) and everyone seemed to really enjoy it.

#24 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

Role-playing opportunity:

Now some people apparently belief that all the illustrations of Marines fighting without helmet on is imperial propaganda. So... truly the kill-team gets assigned a serf of the Blood Angels chapter who is a master painter. Not only do they have to protect them, he'll also instruct them on pose, lighting, facial expression, etc after a successful battle so he can make his sketches. The Watch Commander himself (remamber he's BA) expects full cooperation and to be returned the serf in one piece.

Neat one, eh?

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#25 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:09 PM

ak-73 said:

Role-playing opportunity:

Now some people apparently belief that all the illustrations of Marines fighting without helmet on is imperial propaganda. So... truly the kill-team gets assigned a serf of the Blood Angels chapter who is a master painter. Not only do they have to protect them, he'll also instruct them on pose, lighting, facial expression, etc after a successful battle so he can make his sketches. The Watch Commander himself (remamber he's BA) expects full cooperation and to be returned the serf in one piece.

Neat one, eh?

Alex

#26 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

As for the BA painter idea, I suppose he might also use a Pict Recorder and "creatively enhance" any pix taken. Still lighting and stance, etc should matter.

Anyway for a more sombre idea:

If the PCs are accompanied by some non-Astartes fellows (as with the Stormtroopers in Oblivion's Edge, for example) and one should get killed, don't let them die immediately. In their dying moments let them, while coughing blood, ask one of the Marines to remove their helmet (the nearest PC or determine randomly). The dying NPC just wants to see their face (they are the Emperor's angels after all). The NPC reaches out with one bloody hand as he tries to touch the marines face - 40% chance he'll die before he makes contact (unless the PC guides his hand). Then the NPC dies with the PC's face the last thing he sees in this world.

If the player plays along very well, award a temporary Fate Point for the remainder of the session.

Alex

PS Alternatively choose the PC with the least Fate Points (left) or most seriously injured.

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#27 PookaJoe

PookaJoe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:22 AM

The Tau are assaulting a world important to the Administratum.  The Deathwatch is assigned to retrieve A Noble Matriarch/Sanctioned Psycher, one with blood ties to a member of the Lords of Terra. Failure is never an option but doing so here could mean bad political fallout for the entire Deathwatch.

On nearing the System the team receives intel that the Matriarchs compound is currently surrounded by heavy artillery and anti aircraft weaponry. The Overlapping fields of  fire make it impossible to get a ship in or out. The KT will have to decide where to in and take out multiple positions in short order to have the time to get the Matriarch out before the Tau-scum reinforce their lost positions and set up the unbroken killing field again.

When the KT finally makes it into the compound the Matriarch is Furious. Top of the line AdMech implants thrumming with energy as she practically floats back in forth yelling at her guards, and the KT once she deigns to notice them. She's using a form of High Gothic that is so old and grammatically precise that even the KT needs to take the time to parse the meaning of her words.

It seems her son, Emperor curse his xenos loving soul, Has fallen prey to the Tau ideas of the Greater Good and absconded with her beloved Granddaughter. She's not setting a foot outside the compound until she gets her granddaughter back, and woe be it to anyone who tries to make her. She seems easily  dangerous enough to take down a Space Marine, possibly more if they are trying not to hurt her and just restrain her.

Last intel from the guards present shows that the son was heading towards the Tau  Command Post just outside of the city, most likely to use recognition of him and his granddaughter as a rally point to gain sway over more local PDF forces.  The Daughter must be returned unharmed, but the Matriarch does note that if it can be accomplished she would like something messy to happen to her son.

Oh, and there's the issue of the Reinforcements being sent to shore up the holes the KT made in the siege forces when they first tried to get into the compound.

#28 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

While on a Hiveship (for example in OE): if a PC gets seriously wounded, let someone (preferably an NPC) notice that the Marine's blood is eating away at the organic floor (how is that as acid for blood?). Anyone present who is not familiar with Marine physiology will kneel down in awe and take this as a miracle, an auspicious sign, evidence of the holiness of the Adeptus Astartes.

Anybody who is familiar with Marine physiology will attribute it to the Haemastamen/Larraman's Organ implants and the interaction with a sensitive type of tyranid tissue.

Alex

#29 Gillam Harrow

Gillam Harrow

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

This one's good if you have a kill team with a space wolf. You have a routine excursion by the Kill team. they're sent to re-enforce an imperial guard line defending a planet from an Eldar fleet. when they arrive, everyone's dead. Guard, Eldar, Local populace, even the inquisitor that requested the Team's presence. What they DO find is a full Contingent of Thousand Sons raiding the planet for... Something. who knows? They cant leave yet, so they decide to hunker down and take stock of the situation. some two days after planet fall, a Thousand Patrol finds them, around the same time a full company of Space Wolves arrive to save the Kill team. The wolf lord of the Company (ironically the company from which the DW Space wolf hails) claps the Wolf on the back, saying that Russ has delivered him at this time. The Thousand sons are looking for relics that will give Magnus the power to venture back into the Imperium under the Guise of a rank and file space marine. However, one of the relics he needs is the shoulder pauldron from Russ's armour. they invite the DW Wolf to join in the fight. however, the kill team's leader just got confirmation that a thunderhawk would be touching down in Wolf held territory to take them to another mission. What does the Space wolf do? Does he stay with his brothers? or does he side with the Inquistion?

#30 Mattman375

Mattman375

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

This is a mission that i am helping my brother put together his 1st try at being a GM so his 1st misson

The Kill-Team are orded to evact a very important Tech- prist that has been working on a number of top secret project to help fight the Nids, The deathwatch do not know what the projects are about. He needs to be evected as the planet will soon be under attack from the nids.

By the time the kill-team rech the planet the hive ship is already there even tho intell said it should be weeks away. Kill team make there way planet side to where the tech prist has been working to find that it is under attack the defences are holding but will not for long,

As its his campain don't know to much more details but here are some more bits i know with talking through ideas

The ThunderHawk is takening out soon after Landing, How i am not sure. Once they have found the tech prist the soon found that he has been working very hard. You find in his under ground lab that he has found a race of Xenos that he has called the undieing and plans to use them to stop the nids.

This is as far as i can piece together, but because of the tech prist knowledge he got before going down the dark roots of tech hersey do the kill team try and keep him alive or kill him there. what if he don't want to leave and wants to make a stand with is undieing warriors can the kill team stop him and try and find away off the planet or help him as these metal men maybe the only way of stopping the nids.

This could work well if played right or go really badly as can see some poeple in the middle of a under ground city as the undieing waken. but having the 2 side fighting it out as the Kill team try and leave the planet as it will just be choas.

#31 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:00 AM

Mattman375 said:

The ThunderHawk is takening out soon after Landing, How i am not sure.

Lictor On Board? Would make a nice bumper-sticker too...

Alex

#32 Mattman375

Mattman375

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:03 AM

ak-73 said:

Mattman375 said:

The ThunderHawk is takening out soon after Landing, How i am not sure.

Lictor On Board? Would make a nice bumper-sticker too...

Alex

I say i don't as i don't know all the details but will let him know about that one but could have others already planned

#33 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Pulling from other threads:

An Inquisitor or the like gives a battle brother an order that compromises his feeling of personal honor- killing a herdsman's flock of xeno animals on his farm becuase he wasn't cooperative enough with the Inquisitor's questions.

Or the group is forced into a temporary alliance with some Eldar, and during the negotiation of the alliance, the Eldar, knowing marines to be caught up in personal honor, requires the squad leader to swear an oath cementing the alliance, and in that oath it defines the terms and the ways in which the alliance can be terminated.  How does the negotiation play out?

Then at the end of the adventure, before the alliance has been dissolved (but close to that point) the Eldar has secured safe passage out of the system for his (or her) army as part of the deal.  The Inquisitor orders the KT to kill the Eldar commander and take out their command ship, which will allow the inbound Imperial Navy ships to mop up the disorganized remainder.  But the mission leader has sworn an oath that lets the Eldar get away.

Do they obey the command and kill the Eldar (which will probably end up killing some more humans in the near future anyhow) or do they uphold their promises, preparing themselves to face the Eldar force on other terms?  Do they come up with some other way to deal with them that doesn't violate their oaths?

#34 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

4 words:

L-E-G-I-O-N O-F T-H-E D-A-M-N-E-D.

So many ideas spring to mind. Anyone wanting to stat them (although it might deserve a thread of its own)?

Alex

#35 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

The PCs are caught up on an alien world and need to provide food to others - an accompanying Inquisitor, for example. Or a fledgling Imperial village that is starving. Time to make use of that Survival skill, Astartes.

Alex

#36 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:30 AM

ak-73 said:

So many ideas spring to mind. Anyone wanting to stat them (although it might deserve a thread of its own)?

I've been inclined to write them up for a little while now. I may give it a try this evening...

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#37 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:58 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

ak-73 said:

I've been inclined to write them up for a little while now. I may give it a try this evening...

How will you handle their invul save? Like a force field? That's the simple answer. Regeneration? Might work but that's a bit creative license. Very Unnatural Toughness?

Alex

#38 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

ak-73 said:

N0-1_H3r3 said:

ak-73 said:

How will you handle their invul save? Like a force field? That's the simple answer. Regeneration? Might work but that's a bit creative license. Very Unnatural Toughness?

Alex

I've got something in mind, but I'm not going to spoil it. Once the ideas are in place, it won't take me long to do the write-up and post it.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#39 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

I've got something in mind, but I'm not going to spoil it. Once the ideas are in place, it won't take me long to do the write-up and post it.

Inspiration struck - how about protected by warp fire, burning away everything that hits. Also Vengeance rounds with Flame quality.

Alex

#40 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

Right, given that each appearance of the Legion of the Damned in the rules has been different (in Codex: Ultramarines, they're just Fearless, Fear-causing Veteran Space Marines... later versions gained the 'appear from thin air' quirk, leading to the current version which is heavily supernatural), I've put together something I feel to be reasonable. I can't actually find my copy of Codex: Space Marines, so I'm going from memory on a few things, and thus a couple of things might be incorrect... they've very much a spur-of-the-moment rough job.

Now, enough of my pre-emptive excuses...

Damned Legionnaire (Elite)
WS BS S T Ag Int Per WP Fel
55 55 55(12) 55(10) 50 50 50 60 50

Movement: 6/12/18/36; Wounds: 30

Skills: Awareness (Per) +10, Climb (S), Dodge (Ag) +10, Common Lore (Adeptus Astartes) (Int), Common Lore (Imperium) (Int), Common Lore (War) (Int), Concealment (Ag), Drive (Ground Vehicle) (Ag), Forbidden Lore (Warp) (Int) +10, Intimidate (S) +20, Literacy (Int), Navigation (Surface) (Int), Scholastic Lore (Codex Astartes) (Int), Silent Move (Ag) +20, Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int), Speak Language (High Gothic) (Int), Tactics (Assault Doctrine) (Int) +20, Tracking (Int)

Talents: Ambidextrous, Astartes Weapon Training, Bulging Biceps, Crushing Blow, Duty Unto Death, Hatred (Chaos Space Marines, Daemons, Mutants, Xenos, Heretics), Lightning Attack, Lightning Reflexes, Mighty Shot, Strong Minded, Swift Attack, , Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight), Killing Strike, Nerves of Steel, Quick Draw, Resistance (Psychic Powers), True Grit, Unarmed Master

Traits: Astartes Implants, Auto-stabilised, Fear (3), From Beyond, Incorporeal, The Stuff of Nightmares, Undying, Unnatural Strength (x2), Unnatural Toughness (x2)

Weapons: Astartes Bolt Pistol (35m; S/2/—; 2d10+7 X; Pen 5; Clip 10; Rld Full; Tearing, Reliable), Frag Grenades (36m; S/-/-; 2d10+2 X; Blast (5)), Krak Grenades (36m; S/-/-; 3d10+6 X; Pen 6), Combat Knife (1d10+14 R; Pen 2) and one of the following:
• Astartes Bolter (100m; S/2/4; 2d10+7 X; Pen 5; Clip 28; Rld Full; Tearing, Reliable)
• Flamer (30m; S/-/-; 2d10+4 E; Pen 3; Clip 6; Rld 2Full; Flame)
• Plasma Gun (90m; S/2/-; 1d10+11 E; Pen 6; Clip 20; Rld 8Full; Overheats, or 100m; S/2/-; 2d10+11 E; Pen 8; Clip 20 (3x ammo use); Rld 8Full; Overheats, Recharge)
• Meltagun (30m; S/-/-; 2d10+10 E; Pen 13; Clip 5; Rld 2Full; +1d10 damage at Short Range)
• Heavy Bolter (120m; -/-/10; 2d10+12 X; Pen 6; Clip 60; Rld 2Full; Tearing)
• Heavy Flamer (30m; S/-/-; 2d10+8 E; Pen 6; Clip 10; Rld 2 Full; Flame)
• Lascannon (300m; S/-/-; 6d10+12 E; Pen 10; Clip 5; Rld 2Full)
• Missile Launcher with Frag (250m; S/-/-; 2d10+6 X; Blast (6); Clip 1; Rld Full) and Krak (250m; S/-/-; 4d10+10 X; Pen 12; Clip 1; Rld Full) Missiles.
• Multi-Melta (60m; S/-/-; 4d10+12 E; Pen 16; Clip 10; Rld 2Full; Blast (1); +1d10 at Short Range)
• Plasma Cannon (180m; S/-/-; 3d10+12 E; Pen 8; Clip 24; Rld 2Full; Overheats, Unreliable, Blast (1)) or (190m; S/-/-; 4d10+12 E; Pen 10; Clip 8; Rld 2Full; Overheats, Recharge, Unreliable, Blast (3)) on full power.

Armour: Astartes Power Armour (Body 10, Heady 8, Arms 8, Legs 8)

Special Rules

Wrath Incarnate: The Legion of the Damned seems to be little more than a spectral manifestation of the Emperor’s Wrath. The Legion of the Damned, in spite of the Incorporeal Trait, may attack and damage enemies normally. In addition, Damned Legionnaires do not track ammunition expenditure and need never reload. However, not being entirely intangible, any attack that hits by more than two degrees of success will strike true and be able to deal damage normally.

Yeah, they're terrifying... extremely difficult to stop by conventional means, fear-causing, mobile and possessed of considerable firepower backed up by great skill. But that's the point. The Legion of the Damned turn up when the Imperium would otherwise be utterly screwed, and thus they need to be powerful enough to make a difference during those epic end-of-mission conflicts where the group have burnt a half-dozen Fate Points already and still may not triumph.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS