Photo

What do you except from Game of Throne HBO tv series?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

jgt7771 -

Just want to mention that I, too, really dig your posts. Please keep it up. You should have a blog.

#42 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:00 AM

Jgt, where's your weekly write-up? Very curious to hear your thoughts on the latest episode :D

#43 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

Sorry...but it's the end of the TV season, and I foolishly watch other shows.  DVR Overload needed addressing...

Holy crap! They actually DID put them dragon skulls in the basement!    (Coooool.)

Lots of “holy crap” moments this week, some of a relevatory nature, others just shocking. Where to start…

Stark is rapidly wearing out his welcome. Robert’s got a thorn in his paw named Targaryen, and Stark ain’t willing to pull it out, and that just makes Robert all sore. I like how they can joke together when it doesn’t matter (“You’re too fat for your armor.”), but it bugs me when Robert pulls the King Card and starts pushing Stark around. Even worse when all his little cronies play along. Any time I’ve seen these twits agree on anything, it’s always against Stark (which probably means he SHOULD be the Hand).

Although…I have to admit that maybe Robert has a point, and the Targaryens probably should be removed. But I can only say that from my view as the omniscient audience, knowing that there actually are "dragon sympathizers”, lending credence to the possibility of a plan to get the Dothraki across the Narrow Sea. (Horseboats?) It would certainly help if Robert weren’t RANTING about it. Too late. Stark’s done.

Now he’s a puppy in a nest of vipers, and not enough time to get out. (Shouldn’t have brought all of his daughters.) And then comes Baelish, AGAIN. Littlefinger always seems to be EVERYWHERE. (Even moreso than Varys, beating him at his own Spy Game.) So Robert’s just dropping bastards all over the place. Still wondering what that means for Joffrey, and if that’s why Arryn was killed.

Once Jaime showed up, I knew it was gonna get bad. Confrontations like this don’t end welHOLY CRAP!!! Daaaaaamn. Absolute jaw-dropper. Shoot, I really liked Jory. I have a wee bit more respect for Jaime for knocking out the guard that stabbed Stark in the leg, as it would seem that he does hold some honor for the Duel, even though I find swordplay in Westeros to have no rules: win or die. (Maybe that’s just for opponents you consider beneath you.) I actually thought that knight KILLED Stark! Clever camera angle, or just being mean to me? (Probably both.) Eddard’s gonna have a limp for a while, not to mention I doubt he can make it home like that.

It would seem that Littlefinger was right: the Hound and the Mountain do NOT get along.  But it was REALLY surprising to see the Hound kneel IMMEDIATELY after the King bellowed, at the risk of the Mountain taking his head off.  Suddenly, not quite as sure how I feel about the Hound.

Ooo! The Eyrie made the credits! (I dug crossing "The Bite"!) Seems like something of an accident: Catelyn really WAS going home, but now that she has Tyrion, she’s changed her mind? I’m not sure it was clear that Tyrion was prime suspect for Arryn’s death; did I miss that? Tyrion’s doing his best to remain Tyrion (thoroughly enjoyed his behavior through the tribal raid, especially the shield bash), but he’s not thrilled at all for going before Lysa.

……….oh my. And who could blame him? Lysa is so very very OFF HER ROCKER; I’m pretty sure that once they have all their teeth, you should stop breastfeeding them. In front of everyone. (Holy crap! You have to admire actors who will “go there”.) Love how enemies Tyrion and Catelyn shared a glance of “Oh wow, really?” Lysa’s boy is just…frightening.

LUUUV the Eyrie’s dungeon!!! “Go on. Escape. Dare you.” Not only did that save on masonry subcontracting, but all those cells have a NASTY draft for their deserving occupants. For that matter, the Eyrie itself is one intimidating fortress: it’s simply impossible to effectively siege. (Rockclimbers?)

Quick flashes of Winterfell this week. Bran is getting back into a routine, reciting House dogma—the Greyjoys’ “We do not sow,” implies a great deal of reaping others, eh?—and hinting at a future of a horsebowman. And helloooooooo Ros. A gratuitous scene to be sure, but yet another knock to Theon’s ego from Tyrion, albeit indirectly.

Arya is so much fun to watch. She moves so smoothly between brash assertiveness (telling those gate guards off) to pouty anxiety (“I-I was chasing a cat.”). She’s trying so hard to be what she wants to be that she's bound to be constantly in trouble. Intriguing that she can pass so easily for a boy (*cough* Joan of Arc *cough* Mulan *cough* Eowyn).

Varys. Just a weasel of a man (if you can even call him a man). For a second, I thought that maybe his pendulum was swinging back towards good when he (apparently) decided Eddard was now trustworthy enough to confirm that Arryn WAS murdered. He even knew the name of the damn poison! And not one scene later, Arya catches this d-bag riding the Targaryen Underground Pipeline with Illyrio!!! I was inclined to believe Jorah that nobody really gave a crap about the Targaryens anymore, but I suppose that was just being naïve. Certainly I’m no big fan of Baratheon either, but trying to reinstall Viserys is just putting the Mad King back on the throne.

“The Lion and the Wolf will be at each other’s throats.” Lannisters and Starks…sure, that’s easy to see. But now Drogo doesn’t want to move without his son safely born, which might take too long, but assassinating Stark won’t help…wait, WHAT?!? That’s it: Varys is on the craplist. And Illyrio. And probably Jorah. I sense I am going to have real trouble on a personal level when I’m probably going to be forced to start disliking the nifty Daenerys.

Is this why Tyrion was framed?  It doesn't make sense that Jaime would do it, since he's so keen on getting Tyrion back...but is that part of it?  Leaving Tyrion out to dry (and die silent) to cover for the Arryn murder?  Or is it the Targaryen stooges, trying to start a civil war between the Starks and the Lannisters?  Or is it Theon, who just thinks Tyrion is a jerk?  I sound like a conspiracy nut...except I'm pretty sure there's a conspiracy!

Okay, I’m a pretty open-minded guy, with my own collection of fetishes, but I really don’t need to see guys shaving. Or guys shaving other guys. My electro-shocked head was spinning here: Renly’s ***? The prettyboy knight over whom Sansa is swooning is ***? (Poor Sansa. She’s beautiful, and every boy she meets has no interest in her!) There’s another Baratheon brother? ARE THEY DOING WHAT I THINK THEY’RE DOING? “What, incest is no problem, but…” Look, between that and the creepy breastfeeding…can I just see the Ros scene again please?

Finally, my favorite scene of the night: Robert and Cersei being quietly honest with each other. FINALLY something to appreciate Robert for. Politically, Robert needed a queen, but he lost his first (and ONLY) choice, and he’s never been able to cope with that. Not quite clear, but Cersei at least enjoyed Robert’s presence (if not his power, although I wonder how much of that was her father back then), but his inability to love her ruined them. Possibly the years of that ruined her. And they lost their first son? Bet that was ugly.

This is the first time Robert’s felt TRAGIC. I don’t think he really feels like being King is worth anything; it’s just an accident as a result of taking out the Targaryens. He’s so sad and alone inside, and he hides from it by getting wasted and boning anything pretty. Which makes his queen harder and cruel (and in love with her own brother). What a mess…and a powder keg.

What was that noise?

#44 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

Cheers, jgt.

My favorite scene from the episode was also the scene between Cersei and Robert (curiously enough, a scene that is not in the book).

And in the books, Renly is not such a wimp. I found that an irritating change in the adaptation.

#45 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

jgt7771 said:

LUUUV the Eyrie’s dungeon!!! “Go on. Escape. Dare you.” Not only did that save on masonry subcontracting, but all those cells have a NASTY draft for their deserving occupants. For that matter, the Eyrie itself is one intimidating fortress: it’s simply impossible to effectively siege. (Rockclimbers?)

Fun fact that wasn't obvious in the tv show: The floors of the sky cells, as they are called, have a slight angle to them for additional psychological fun ("Oh noes, I'm gonna roll off while I sleep!")

#46 jgt7771

jgt7771

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:46 AM

Saturnine said:

Fun fact that wasn't obvious in the tv show: The floors of the sky cells, as they are called, have a slight angle to them for additional psychological fun ("Oh noes, I'm gonna roll off while I sleep!")

Genius.  Pure twisted genius.  One of the biggest "Wow, that's so elegantly simple, I can't believe no one ever thought of that before!" I've ever had.  If I get nothing else from G.R.R. Martin's crowded head, that concept is eternal to me now. 

What was that noise?

#47 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:02 AM

jgt7771 said:

Genius.  Pure twisted genius.  One of the biggest "Wow, that's so elegantly simple, I can't believe no one ever thought of that before!" I've ever had.  If I get nothing else from G.R.R. Martin's crowded head, that concept is eternal to me now. 

I had a feeling you would appreciate it ;)

#48 jgt7771

jgt7771

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

A GOLDEN CROWN

Whoa. AAAAAAA!!! ……..daaaaamn.

I do so appreciate shockingly effective episode-ending moments that crack you in the jaw and then say, “See you next week,” while you’re still spitting out teeth on the floor. True Blood has been nailing those for years; Game of Thrones is matching them wonderfully.

In honor of whiny deluded Viserys, we shall begin with the Targaryens, their story still mostly detached from the rest of Westeros (aside from the odd angry detonation from Robert). Daenerys seems to be moving from “queen” to “empress”; by that I mean, she’s begun to believe her own hype, and the universe appears to agree. (Certainly the Dothraki do.) While Viserys has been spending all his time proclaiming, “I am the Dragon!” and “I am King!” the Targaryen bloodline is definitively beginning to say, “No, you’re not. It was never you. It was never going to be you.” Daenerys’ eyes keep acquiring a distinct lack of focus in this episode: she’s not looking at, she’s looking THROUGH, gazing miles into her future. First sign of “chosen” people.

These dragon eggs are so much more than cabinet tchotchkes. Jorah is particularly adamant about them remaining with Daenerys, and I don’t think it’s just because of Viserys’ jab that he’s in love with her. Plus, they don’t burn her. Now, even though Westeros is a completely-realized “other world”, it seems to be following standard terran physics, with a noticeable lack of “magic”. Therefore, whatever the deal is with these non-burning eggs, it has to be genetic. (I don’t know…considering how the people of Westeros seem to lack sexual taboos, maybe there actually IS dragon blood somewhere deep in the Targaryen tree.) It seems pretty likely that Dany’s going to end up with dragons, but I wonder how big they’re actually going to be. Dire wolf-sized? Lockheed-sized? (the plane OR the X-men)

Daenerys is completely integrated into the Dothraki, now that she’s carrying Drogo’s heir and ingested an entire horse heart. (EWWWWW!!!) The last remnants of Viserys’ ego are stripped away—he has no money, he has no army, he has no…chair—and it drives him to do the most idiotic thing anyone can do: he got drunk, insulted a Klingon to his face, and drew a weapon to threaten his son. As the scene progressed, I started by telling Viserys to shut up. But once the sword came out against Dany, I knew he’d gone too far. (Kinda like how Dany’s face matched my own: “Don’t do it, man…don’t do it…oh well, nice knowin’ ya, jerk-off.”) All episode, Daenerys kept getting that “But he’s my brother!” look when Viserys was being stupid, so I loved how smoothly Daenerys (and her actress Emilia) shed that look when Drogo is so obviously telling her that he’s going to kill her brother now, and the measured way she translated Viserys’ “ascension” to “King” to him. And WHAT A DEATH. Nasty and creative, yet perfectly appropriate. The KLUNK when his too-heavy skull hit the dirt. “He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon.” Best climax yet!

Meanwhile, King’s Landing is sliding off into war. Ned’s now got a mad on for Jaime, who’s torn off after Tyrion (interesting how Ned doesn’t seem all that concerned with Tyrion at all); Cersei is accusing Ned of BS charges (presumably to protect Jaime, but the omniscient audience knows Cersei’s blowing smoke); the Mountain is off (at Tywin’s request?) torching Catelyn’s homeland; and Robert…has gone hunting. (What?) I’m not sure if it’s naïve or negligent of Robert to think that Ned is really going to listen to him when he hands down his “King’s edict” that the Starks and Lannisters will now get along (so there!), but it seems irresponsible on the highest order to leave a fuming Ned in charge while he goes to kill pheasant. But that doesn’t surprise me, really: Robert’s a bumpkin of a king. It’s getting so bad that for a second—a second!—I sympathized with the Lannisters (!!!) after he hit her. (At least he recognized that he messed up there.) What’s worse is, I’m really not alone here in my contempt of Robert: Lancel’s terrified of him, Renly’s irritated with him, and Barristan’s just BORED of him.

So now Ned the Hand is on the throne…might as well have put a burning powder keg on the stove. Since Jaime’s missing, Ned’ll use a conveniently rampaging Mountain to drag the Lannister Patriarch himself into court. I want to believe Ned has some wacky plan, but maybe I’m giving him too much credit. Maybe he really just despises the Lannisters that much, and it’s clouding his judgment. Somehow this seems much more involved than just getting revenge for Bran. Something deeper is going on. (Well, DUH, one would say: it’s Game of Thrones! OF COURSE something deeper is going on!)

But now for my favorite arc of the episode: Tyrion in the Eyrie! Hey, look, Saturnine! The sky cells ARE sloped!

As clever as Tyrion is, he’s still, how do you say, educated. In other words, he doesn’t have much to trade with in prison: he has no stature, he has no barter, and he doesn’t really know how to talk “mongrel”. Negotiating with Mord is like trying to teach Latin to a pig:

“No gold!” >thump<
“Well, I don’t have it HERE!”
>Thump< “No gold!”

Mord has little awareness of anything outside of his skull and his cells, and it’s a bit of learning curve for Tyrion as his language gets simpler and simpler. On the other hand, “Lannister” is apparently a name EVERYONE knows—who remembers the old “E. F. Hutton” commercials?—as well as their not-official motto Bran foreshadowed last episode: “A Lannister always pays his debts.” So eventually Tyrion “collaterals” himself an audience.

Now I sort of expected his “confession”—my personal reflection was Chunk from the Goonies—and Tyrion must have known this wasn’t going to work, so it must have been designed to piss Lysa off so much to goad her into Trial By Combat. Still, the gutterwash coming out of Dinklage was HILARIOUS. (I’m a sucker for a good laundry list of self-gratification phrases, especially when it shocks someone who isn’t.)

Lysa counters with the Moon Door. Geezus, watch where you step in the Eyrie.

Tyrion switches from stand-up comedian to attorney. Tyrion tries appealing to reason, but trials in the Eyrie are apparently sentenced by a prince with rotten fruit for brains who likes to watch “bad men fly”. (That boy ain’t right.) But apparently there’s a sub-section in the Law of Westeros titled “Might is Right”, and Tyrion is allowed to exercise that right. Obviously, Lysa was thinking ‘who couldn’t beat a dwarf who could barely hold a sword’…but there’s that bothersome “Champion” clause. Tyrion calls for Jaime, but Lysa isn’t gonna wait. I think Tyrion had run out of cards at this point, and was grasping for any warm body; luckily, he got Bronn.

It is my fervent wish that Bronn and Tyrion become the Hope and Crosby of Westeros:

“They say the Eyrie is impregnable.”
“Give me ten good men and some climbing spikes, and I’ll impregnate the *****.”
“…I like you.”

I don’t really know much about either Bronn or Ser Vardis, but both seemed pretty competent with a sword. Problem is, Vardis fights like a knight, but Bronn fights like a boxer. Bronn lets Vardis swing himself out, then quickly dispatches him and kicks him out through the floor. If I didn’t love Bronn before that…

“You don’t fight with honor!”
“No. >shrugs< He did.”

A win is a win is a win. Screw your morals. And a final triumphant flourish to Tyrion as he demands his coinpurse, tosses it to Mord, and simply leaves. At the end, I love how Tyrion got in a glare to everyone in that room who had screwed with him.

This is going to complicate things for the Stark-Lannister conflict unless Tyrion can get back to King’s Landing quick enough. Each side is counting on certain pieces being in play, but a lack of speedy transportation, instant communication, and GPS makes it difficult to know where your pieces are. Leads to a lot of posturing and bluffing, I think.

What’s left? Bran got his saddle! And a hostage negotiation! With scruffy northerners? This is the second time someone’s dropped the name “Mance Rayder”; it would seem the other side of the Wall has some organization. Odd thing about Theon: he keeps dropping his Greyjoy name as something to be respected and admired (“Greyjoys do this blah blah blah…”), but then Robb throws in his face that he isn’t a Stark, and Theon comes running back to prove that “he is so Starklike!” I’m not sure I appreciate trading Ros for this new hairy northling girl.

The three-eyed Raven wants Bran to go see dead people. Or staple waffles to his face? Hunh.

Joffrey goes into suitor mode, and suddenly Sansa has become every idiot girl on the CW network: “I love him and I want to have his babies!” Oh, seven hells (as Arya so rightly put it). On the other hand, that gave Ned a Gregory-House-like CLICK, and it would seem that Joffrey has ended the Baratheon streak of black hair. Now, my father has black hair, and my mother was blonde…and I’m blonde, so this isn’t really earth-shattering, but I’m guessing we’re supposed to surmise that Joffrey isn’t Robert’s kid. Which would make me wonder two things: (a) Whose kid is he? (Jaime’s? Ewwww!) (b) Are any of the “Baratheons” actually Baratheon?

“There is only one god: Death. And we only say one thing to him: ‘not today’.” Syrio is still a hoot, but I keep noticing subtle lines in his teachings that don’t really jive with “knight” training: learning from cats, attacking from the shadows, etc. That’s more “Special Forces” or something. Like the difference between Vardis’ and Bronn’s techniques. Still, I love these Arya scenes that allow her actress so many facial reactions. (And she’s getting better with her dancing.)

What was that noise?

#49 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

jgt7771 said:

that gave Ned a Gregory-House-like CLICK

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking :D

Also, in regards to his realization, remember Jon Arryn's last words. :)

And I just wanted to comment on the scene in which Robert slaps Cersei to point out one of the best comebacks in the series: "Wear it in silence, or I'll honor you again..." Classic :D

As for Syrio, he himself said he won't train her in knight-style combat, but in his Braavosi style, so I'm not sure why you were expecting knight-like sword-fighting :)

#50 jgt7771

jgt7771

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

Saturnine said:

Also, in regards to his realization, remember Jon Arryn's last words. :)

What?  You mean, "The seed is strong," doesn't apply to Robin?!? 

Saturnine said:

As for Syrio, he himself said he won't train her in knight-style combat, but in his Braavosi style, so I'm not sure why you were expecting knight-like sword-fighting :)

Yeah, I muddled that all up.  I meant that...I'm not sure what Arya intends to do with her training.  I thought that she wanted to be a knight (even though that seems unfeasible), and there hasn't been any indication that she's abandoned that goal, but Syrio's path isn't headed that way anyway.  I guess I'm just wondering if Arya has recognized that yet: that she's not becoming a knight, but something else.  On the other hand, that "goal" could have been a few episodes ago; I guess all I really know now is that she won't be a "Sansa": "That's not me."  (Hell, I might be mixing her with Bran on this...)

What was that noise?

#51 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

Oh Robin.... he was named Robert in the books, by the way, just like the king.

As for Arya, there's really no way for her to become a proper knight in that society, and I'm not sure that's what she wants. She's feisty, but she doesn't share Bran's desire to become a knight, I think. What she *can* do is become a capable swordswoman.

#52 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

One thing I was disappointed by was the distinct lack of Direwolf carnage in the scene in which Bran gets jumped by Wildlings in the woods.

#53 jgt7771

jgt7771

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

OOPS.

What a colossal screw-up on Ned’s part. There were half a dozen openings given to him, but because he wouldn’t “break the rules”, he stuck with his clever plan that would only work if everyone else was playing by those same rules. Well, they weren’t. (NOBODY was but YOU, Stark!) Dude, she said it TO YOUR FACE: “You win, or you die.”

This was a GREAT character episode: everyone got a really good scene to strut their stuff, without getting in the way of a fantastic build-up and climax.

Tywin Lannister: …Sardo Numspa???

“Yaime, you are to take an army and secure the damn throne!”
“You keep insisting on mispronouncing my name. It’s Jaime, with a J.”

It does indeed turn out that House Lannister is run by a man concerned only with House Lannister. It wouldn’t surprise me to discover that he ruined his kids pursuing the strength of his House. Such a sad moment when the camera showed Jaime, for a second, ready to receive recognition from his father, then realizing it’s just not about him, merely his name. I found it shockingly relevant that Tywin spent his whole speech skinning the symbol of House Baratheon.

Robert Baratheon: Mark Addy’s death scene (awwwww!). I suppose I’m not surprised Robert is dead (although it did startle me), since he would have to be if the Lannisters were going to annex the throne, and it was a bit obvious that while they had a grand plan, Robert had absolutely no plan besides getting Stark to make a plan for him. Very sad that almost everyone thinks that Joffrey is Robert’s kid. It stains Robert’s final confession of how lousy a father he was.

But Varys seems to suggest that Lancel may have poisoned Robert the same way they took out Arryn. Drunk and drugged, anyone could fall. Problem is, I don’t trust Varys. He could be spewing out anything to exacerbate the Lion-Wolf feud.

Lord Baelish: What a snake. You were already on the bottom of my list—there was still contention up until Viserys hit the dirt—but now you’ve totally justified it. Not that I don’t get it—I wasn’t a jock either—but that’s a long time to hold onto a crush who’s had you in the “Friend Zone” all that time. (Wait…so Catelyn was going to marry Ned’s BROTHER, but then fell for Ned after the Mad King offed him? And don’t think I didn’t have to rewind that scene more than once to get all that, thank you very much, Ros and +1!) Littlefinger seems to imply the grandest endgame of all, so how much of that bargaining with Stark was genuine? If Stark had played ball, would the Lannisters be dead and Renly on the throne? Did Littlefinger have to improvise, seeing a Gold Cloak Backstab as an opportunity to maintain whatever grand scheme he has? Is it really much simpler than that, and he’s just “always against Stark”, regardless of who has to get in bed with? (I so despise the character, but the actor is melodramatically PERFECT.)

Cersei Lannister: For a while, I’ve kinda thought Headey was playing her “wooden”, but that (delicious) exchange with Stark at the beginning made me realize that’s just Cersei. She has contempt for EVERYONE, and that’s what regal contempt looks like: composed indifference. “You aren’t worthy of a reaction, worm.” I love how she takes all of Stark’s accusations with a blantant, “So what?” Taking a bit of old rage out on Lyanna (nice, Robert; even from the grave, you disappoint me); all but admitting to shoving Bran; not even blaise about incest with her own twin, but fiercely defensive of it! This all seems to lend credence to the thought that she already knew Robert was doomed: if Lancel had been operating under her orders, she was already mating Ned before he even knew the king was checked. So who cares what he knows?

What also plays into this is her moment of fear when Robert asked to be alone with Stark. Robert was probably already supposed to be dead; being able to deliver last words to Stark seems like a pretty big “wild card” to her plans. Lucky for her, Stark SAID NOTHING!!! >facepalm< But she knew she had him when he came into the throne room. (Can I say, I LOVE that set!) Her face never flinched.

Flashback: so when the Rebellion succeeded, Eddard told Jaime to get off the throne, but refused to take it himself? Two problems with that:

(A) Of all the people I’ve met so far, of course Ned should be king. He needs to get over his modesty, or whatever the hell it is that’s keeping him from leading the realm...too late, never mind.
(B) He left it to the Baratheons, NONE of whom should have been king! I know nothing of Stannis, other than he has the faith of no one (not even Ned really wants Stannis!). Robert ended up being a mess, but I get the impression he was only a marginally better choice than Stannis. And Renly just fled with his *** knight (assuming Varys is telling the truth), and who appoints the "black sheep" to be king?

Sheesh, what happens to Sansa and Arya now? I can see Arya finding her way “underground”, but Sansa might just become another Theon.

Speaking of Theon—well, not really him, since he’s a bit of a buffoon trying to trade on a name he barely has—but this new northern chick implies that there is a whole lot of north up there past the Wall, that doesn’t really know much about what’s south of the Wall. And are just as afraid of the wintery legends as Seven Kingdoms are. (Is there some kind of “Independence Day” invasion coming, where all the squabbling factions of humanity find themselves collectively outgunned against a common enemy?)

And maybe that enemy has nothing to do with the north, as “someone” made an attempt on the Khaleesi’s life. So many ways to interpret that. Was the wine vendor told by Varys to poison her, but didn’t know that Jorah already knew to make him a patsy? Was it a genuine attempt ordered by Robert, and Jorah with his keen eyes passed up a pardon to save and follow Daenerys? Either way, the end result is the same: the Dothraki are finally on the move, driven against their own superstitions by a fairly awesome speech by Drogo. Drogo has been completely “broken” by Dany—he handles her so tenderly now, a far cry from their first meetings—so much so that it isn’t really the Dothraki that are invading: it’s the return of the Targaryens.

I don’t really have much to say about Jon Snow’s situation. Obviously, the drill sergeant is sticking him one, but Samwell has a point that Jon Snow has all the makings of the next Commander of the Night Watch.

I rather like that the oath is taken on the “bad” side of the Wall, but only for the followers of the “old gods”. That’s been referenced a couple of times—old gods vs. (seven) new ones—and I just kinda ignored it. I’ll keep an ear out, but I rather hope it’s not important.

Am I crazy for thinking that perhaps Benjen has a LIFE in the north, like some Night Watch version of a bigamist? “I’m off to go be First Ranger for a month, wish me luck, hi Honey, I’m back from watching those evil southerners”? He can’t have much of a life in the Night Watch, so he finds a family with this Mance Rayder?

What was that noise?

#54 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

Thanks again for your thoughts. Always an interesting read :)

jgt7771 said:

Wait…so Catelyn was going to marry Ned’s BROTHER, but then fell for Ned after the Mad King offed him?  

She was betrothed to Brandon (Ned's brother) at the age of 12. After Brandon's unfortunate death, politics demanded that the two houses still be joined, so she was married to Ned. However, she's grown to love him over the years (making them pretty much the only functional couple in all of Westeros :P )

#55 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:10 AM

Also, I feel compelled to point out that, in the books, Littlefinger is NOT moonlighting as a pimp. He certainly has invested in a brothel or two, but at no point see we train him prostitutes how to properly fake it. That was quite likely the most awkward scene in the tv adaptation so far.

#56 jgt7771

jgt7771

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

Saturnine said:

. . . the most awkward scene in the tv adaptation so far.

It's not TV...it's HBO.   Must keep up our bare breast quota, or else the masses will start migrating over to Came>yawn<lot.

What was that noise?

#57 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

jgt7771 said:

Saturnine said:

. . . the most awkward scene in the tv adaptation so far.

It's not TV...it's HBO.   Must keep up our bare breast quota, or else the masses will start migrating over to Came>yawn<lot.

Is HBO really that full of gratuitous nudity? I remember The Wire didn't have too much of that going on, and they certainly didn't abuse the sex scenes to squeeze in ridiculous exposition.

#58 jgt7771

jgt7771

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:54 AM

Saturnine said:

Is HBO really that full of gratuitous nudity? I remember The Wire didn't have too much of that going on, and they certainly didn't abuse the sex scenes to squeeze in ridiculous exposition.

Full of?  Naw.  But like most (popular) premium-channel programs, nude scenes are like the car wrecks in a Nascar race: without them, the majority of your audience would stop watching Nascar.

The Wire is actually a perfect example.  Critically acclaimed, fantastically acted, poignant storytelling...yet so low-rated it was close to cancellation for most of its life.  (Yeesh...to think that The Wire lived the same life as Chuck...)  And I can only think that that was because The Wire didn't really "feed the lizard brain".

The average flatlined brainscan of your average viewer gets confused and bored easily when confronted with complex and profound storytelling (one of the biggest products of large ensemble productions); therefore you have to throw in an easter egg for the lizard brain.  It doesn't have to be HUGE; it just has to be satisfying enough to provide the PROMISE of more in subsequent episodes.

In the premiere episode, Game of Thrones threw in Tyrion's whoring and lots of filmy-dressed Daenerys, not to mention Lannister incest and Drogo's wedding night.  In other words, Huge Flaming Car Wreck to kick off the season.  In every episode after that, there has been at least one "wreck" in every episode.  Now, this last one was all about the big "who comes after Robert" climax: lots of political maneuvering and scheming...talking, talking, talking...crap, there's no place to put a wreck!  Wait a sec...Littlefinger's a pimp, and his speech is kinda dry...let's throw in some Ros!  But it's early in the episode...add some girl-on-girl, and the lizard brain will be sated for the rest of the episode.

I just want to add that I am NOT superior to any of this.  I have a lizard brain too, and I'm just as susceptible to it.  After the whole painful Twilight phenomenon ruined vampires forever, I was DEAD-SET to ignore True Blood.  Almost got through the entire first season without watching a SECOND of it.  Then a friend told me that Anna Paquin..."gave it up"...and my lizard brain forced me to On-Demand the entire season.  And now I'm hooked.   To be fair, though, True Blood has some pretty decent stories; not as thick and enmeshed and intriguing as Game of Thrones, but still entertaining enough to satisfy higher brain needs.  And good story/production/acting + lizard brain food = POPULAR.

No, it's not pretty, but that's pay-television.  G.R.R. Martin's epic deserves to be known, and as much as people should read it, they probably won't.  Hell, I'm one of the statistics right in the middle--I watch TV and I read books--and even I never picked up Martin's stuff.  (I will NOW, but book vs media is a different debate altogether.)

What was that noise?

#59 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:00 AM

Well, it's not like I'm opposed to a little gratuitous sexiness here and there, it's just that the Littlefinger in question was simply awkward bordering on comical, making it the nudity pointless and a poor staging ground for Littlefinger's expositional (and out-of-character) monologue.

Or perhaps it's simply not as effective for a European viewer such as myself. The culture over here is not as prude-ish as in the USA, so a bare breast on TV is nothing to write home about.

#60 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:47 AM

I saw an online review that had a perfect turn of a phrase: Its "sexposition" - and the directors/screewriters really, really need to to using it.

That scene Sudnay sent my (non book fan) wife out of the room in contempt and just fit teh textbook defintion of "gratuitous".

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS