Sniper Rifles

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Nimon

Nimon

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

Ok knowing something about sniper rifles I got to say the Space Marines sniper rifles are sub-par. 200m range? really? In the Civil war confederates where killing union soldiers at 800m with whitworth rifles. My m4 can shoot 500m. And no armor pen?! HA, google sniper rifles and take a look at some 50 cal rounds.  So lets fix this shall we.

Astartes Sniper Rifle Class: Basic   Range 1200m w/scope ROF: S (sure there are some nice semi auto sniper rifles out there in present day for example the dragunovs, but I can see limiting it to Single fire and allowing rapid reloaders to maybe increase it to 2 rounds)  DMG: 3d10 + 5 I (what it does more damage then the pistol? if someone asks that I am just going to laugh)  Pen: 8 Rld: 1 full Special: Accurate, Felling (1), Reliable.  Wt 5 Req 20.

There add that to your games and you might have people actually want the sniper rifle. That needle weapon in the book sounds like something an Eldar would use or something.

#2 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

Nimon said:

Ok knowing something about sniper rifles I got to say the Space Marines sniper rifles are sub-par. 200m range? really? In the Civil war confederates where killing union soldiers at 800m with whitworth rifles. My m4 can shoot 500m. And no armor pen?! HA, google sniper rifles and take a look at some 50 cal rounds.  So lets fix this shall we.

Astartes Sniper Rifle Class: Basic   Range 1200m w/scope ROF: S (sure there are some nice semi auto sniper rifles out there in present day for example the dragunovs, but I can see limiting it to Single fire and allowing rapid reloaders to maybe increase it to 2 rounds)  DMG: 3d10 + 5 I (what it does more damage then the pistol? if someone asks that I am just going to laugh)  Pen: 8 Rld: 1 full Special: Accurate, Felling (1), Reliable.  Wt 5 Req 20.

There add that to your games and you might have people actually want the sniper rifle. That needle weapon in the book sounds like something an Eldar would use or something.

You do realize that range is an increment stat right? Not a end all stat. Short Range for the Astartes Sniper Rifle is 200m.

#3 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

Nimon said:

A couple of things: first, 200m is the medium range which means it can fire up to 800m (read the range rules). So if you want to fire up to 1200m, you should assign a base range of 300m. Secondly, please re-read the description of the Astartes Sniper Rifle; it's a needle rifle. Thirdly if they want a real Sniper Rifle, Astartes use the Stalker pattern Boltgun. :-)

Alex

• pearldrum1 likes this

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#4 Nimon

Nimon

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

ak-73 said:

Nimon said:

A couple of things: first, 200m is the medium range which means it can fire up to 800m (read the range rules). So if you want to fire up to 1200m, you should assign a base range of 300m. Secondly, please re-read the description of the Astartes Sniper Rifle; it's a needle rifle. Thirdly if they want a real Sniper Rifle, Astartes use the Stalker pattern Boltgun. :-)

Alex

Ya I read it guess you didn't read the part about how that is silly firing a needle and not penetrating armour.  Stalker Pattern eh? to bad need respected renown for that so guess you wouldn't be starting with it.  Pg 248 long range is only spot I saw anything more about range. It says more then double weapon range is considered long range -10. So If I wanted 1200m I should make it 600? How about I use common sense and say it can fire up to 1200m with no penalty to clear it up for everyone.

#5 Nimon

Nimon

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:33 PM

I don't think you guys are looking at this issue from a players prospective, either I can get this little needle rifle that shoots a single shot and no armor pen with a chance to poison(yay!) or I can get for the same renown a heavy bolter with and ROF of 10, close to the same range(50m less) and twice the damage and 5 Pen. I really want to meet the guy that takes the needler, you are not chilling with me in the bunker.

#6 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

Again a couple of points: Extreme Range is up to base rangex4.

Secondly, it's not even a needler; it's a laser.

Thirdly a machinegun and a sniper rifle fulfill different battle roles.

Fourth point: put a Telescopic Sight on a rifle and you can fire without range penalty when you aim.

Lastly, please remember the Accuracy rules for Basic weapons. Normally you will do 3D10, Felling, Toxic with this thing. Which should be good enough to take out most human beings (with some luck even orks) on first strike. Especially if you aim at unarmoured locations.

Alex

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#7 Nimon

Nimon

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:02 PM

ak-73 said:

Again a couple of points: Extreme Range is up to base rangex4.

Secondly, it's not even a needler; it's a laser.

Thirdly a machinegun and a sniper rifle fulfill different battle roles.

Fourth point: put a Telescopic Sight on a rifle and you can fire without range penalty when you aim.

Lastly, please remember the Accuracy rules for Basic weapons. Normally you will do 3D10, Felling, Toxic with this thing. Which should be good enough to take out most human beings (with some luck even orks) on first strike. Especially if you aim at unarmoured locations.

Alex

Wrong on Several Points let me give you page numbers.

Extreme Range is anything over 3x and it is at -30/ great So I am a sniper that cant hit my targets Pg 247 for that one.

Astartes Sniper Rifle- The NEEDLE RIFLE offers the perfect combination of range, stealth , and deadliness ect ect  Pg 153 for that one.

Thirdly, ya they have differant battle roles, but lets give the sniper something to fulfill that role. BTW talking to a combat veteran have some Idea of what I am talking about after 15 months on the border of Iran.

Fourth ya I already added a scope notice how it was 1200m w/scope and it didnt cost an extra 6 req. Like I am going to use a sniper rifle with no scope. 

Lastly, A sniper rifle needs Pen, sometimes you are shooting through glass/doors ect. Once again combat veteran 2/3 ACR cav scout.

#8 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Nimon said:

Extreme Range is anything over 3x and it is at -30/ great So I am a sniper that cant hit my targets Pg 247 for that one.

Astartes Sniper Rifle- The NEEDLE RIFLE offers the perfect combination of range, stealth , and deadliness ect ect  Pg 153 for that one.

Thirdly, ya they have differant battle roles, but lets give the sniper something to fulfill that role. BTW talking to a combat veteran have some Idea of what I am talking about after 15 months on the border of Iran.

Fourth ya I already added a scope notice how it was 1200m w/scope and it didnt cost an extra 6 req. Like I am going to use a sniper rifle with no scope. 

Lastly, A sniper rifle needs Pen, sometimes you are shooting through glass/doors ect. Once again combat veteran 2/3 ACR cav scout.

Extreme Range - read Range on page 141.

Needle Rifle - yes but read the description. It doesn't fire a physical flechette needle round.It fires some supposedly small toxic crystals What penetration these realistically would have is anyone's guess. If they shatter easily, they won't have much penetration or any. That's what I was alluding to.

Battle Roles - all I was saying was that the HB of course is able to dish out more damage.

Scope - all I was saying was that the sniper rifle should have the range penalties unless it has a functioning telescopic sight which it normally should have.

Pen - apparently the technology used doesn't offer Pen. Armoured Glass/Thin Metal has AP 4. The Weapon should be able to shoot through doors and Windows with its damage value by overcoming low APs.

If you want a regular sniper rifle, try to get a Nomad from Inquisitor's Handbook and ask your techmarine to modify it for you. Into the Storm also has a conventional sniper rifle iirc. They are no Astartes Weapon though.

Alex

#9 Nimon

Nimon

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

ak-73 said:

Nimon said:

Extreme Range - read Range on page 141.

Needle Rifle - yes but read the description. It doesn't fire a physical flechette needle round.It fires some supposedly small toxic crystals What penetration these realistically would have is anyone's guess. If they shatter easily, they won't have much penetration or any. That's what I was alluding to.

Battle Roles - all I was saying was that the HB of course is able to dish out more damage.

Scope - all I was saying was that the sniper rifle should have the range penalties unless it has a functioning telescopic sight which it normally should have.

Pen - apparently the technology used doesn't offer Pen. Armoured Glass/Thin Metal has AP 4. The Weapon should be able to shoot through doors and Windows with its damage value by overcoming low APs.

If you want a regular sniper rifle, try to get a Nomad from Inquisitor's Handbook and ask your techmarine to modify it for you. Into the Storm also has a conventional sniper rifle iirc. They are no Astartes Weapon though.

Alex

Ya I read pg 141 apparently you did not so I will type it out for you.

Range: This number determines how far the weapon can fire accurately in meters. The weapon's short range is half this number, while long range is double this number(for range bonuses and penalties see Chapter VIII: Combat, pg 247-249) Weapons Cannot be fired at targets more then 4x thier range distance.   HMMM DONT SEE ANYTHING ABOUT EXTREME RANGE MUST BE ON 247-249 LIKE I MENTIONED

Astartes Sniper Rifle- The NEEDLE rifle offers the perfect combination of range, stealth, and deadliness. A low-power laser beam PROPELS (oh so the laser is shooting somthing other then a laser) small slivers(those would be the NEEDLES) of crystallised toxin that, once lodged in flesh, dissolve into the bloodsteam almost instantly.  Many chemicals can be solidified into such rounds with the right equipment, and a variety are in use by the Deathwatch. The most common compound ( and the standard ammunition for this weapon) is a viral toxin taht leaves most enemies dead within moments of being wounded. As they have no muzzle flash, NEEDLE weapons are ideal for assassinations. The only arguement against these exquisite weapons is that the brittle rounds have little penetrating power(ya 0 I call that little even states this weakness in the book) making them next to USELESS against heavily armoured targets. 

Ya HBs do dish out more damage in this game,but PER BULLET a sniper rifle should do ALOT MORE DAMAGE. 1 shot 1 kill, not 10 shots  5possible wounded.

I don't see 0 pen going through the window of a sentinel walker piloted by a corrupted guardsmen but hey you go ahead and try it.

If I want a normal Sniper rifle I think I will stick to what I made.  Its based off the Exitus Rifle from Ascension.

Any other pg numbers you want me to type out for you?

#10 Nimon

Nimon

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

Range: This number determines how far the weapon can fire accurately in meters. The weapon's short range is half this number, while long range is double this number(for range bonuses and penalties see Chapter VIII: Combat, pg 247-249) Weapons Cannot be fired at targets more then 4x thier range distance. HMMM DONT SEE ANYTHING ABOUT EXTREME RANGE MUST BE ON 247-249 LIKE I MENTIONED

Astartes Sniper Rifle- The NEEDLE rifle offers the perfect combination of range, stealth, and deadliness. A low-power laser beam PROPELS (oh so the laser is shooting somthing other then a laser) small slivers(those would be the NEEDLES) of crystallised toxin that, once lodged in flesh, dissolve into the bloodsteam almost instantly. Many chemicals can be solidified into such rounds with the right equipment, and a variety are in use by the Deathwatch. The most common compound ( and the standard ammunition for this weapon) is a viral toxin taht leaves most enemies dead within moments of being wounded. As they have no muzzle flash, NEEDLE weapons are ideal for assassinations. The only arguement against these exquisite weapons is that the brittle rounds have little penetrating power(ya 0 I call that little even states this weakness in the book) making them next to USELESS against heavily armoured targets.

Ya HBs do dish out more damage in this game,but PER BULLET a sniper rifle should do ALOT MORE DAMAGE. 1 shot 1 kill, not 10 shots 5possible wounded.

I don't see 0 pen going through the window of a sentinel walker piloted by a corrupted guardsmen but hey you go ahead and try it.

If I want a normal Sniper rifle I think I will stick to what I made. Its based off the Exitus Rifle from Ascension.

Any other pg numbers you want me to type out for you

#11 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

Nimon said:

Range: This number determines how far the weapon can fire accurately in meters. The weapon's short range is half this number, while long range is double this number(for range bonuses and penalties see Chapter VIII: Combat, pg 247-249) Weapons Cannot be fired at targets more then 4x thier range distance. HMMM DONT SEE ANYTHING ABOUT EXTREME RANGE MUST BE ON 247-249 LIKE I MENTIONED

Astartes Sniper Rifle- The NEEDLE rifle offers the perfect combination of range, stealth, and deadliness. A low-power laser beam PROPELS (oh so the laser is shooting somthing other then a laser) small slivers(those would be the NEEDLES) of crystallised toxin that, once lodged in flesh, dissolve into the bloodsteam almost instantly. Many chemicals can be solidified into such rounds with the right equipment, and a variety are in use by the Deathwatch. The most common compound ( and the standard ammunition for this weapon) is a viral toxin taht leaves most enemies dead within moments of being wounded. As they have no muzzle flash, NEEDLE weapons are ideal for assassinations. The only arguement against these exquisite weapons is that the brittle rounds have little penetrating power(ya 0 I call that little even states this weakness in the book) making them next to USELESS against heavily armoured targets.

Ya HBs do dish out more damage in this game,but PER BULLET a sniper rifle should do ALOT MORE DAMAGE. 1 shot 1 kill, not 10 shots 5possible wounded.

If I want a normal Sniper rifle I think I will stick to what I made. Its based off the Exitus Rifle from Ascension.

Range: Okay, I don't want to argue with you any further on range. I will instead do two things:

- "Weapons Cannot be fired at targets more then 4x thier range distance."

- if you're interested in a more in-depth debate on the subject, look at:

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

Needler: and still it's not a classical needle rifle (nor does it shoot modern day flechette rounds) as known from various cyberpunk games. That's what I was pointing out and that's all that is necessary to explain why it may have a Pen of 0.

Damage/Pen: The Astartes Sniper Rifle is apparently not designed to snipe someone behind thick armoured glass. Nor can you expect these brittle slithers to do more damage than a HB round (although on a good shot they can do). If that isn't good enough for you, I advise Stalker rounds for now and later the Stalker pattern. Or a plasmagun or a lascannon. You'll lose the accuracy quality though.

Pages: Yes, I'd like you type out all the page numbers you know.

Alex

#12 Nimon

Nimon

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

ak-73 said:

Nimon said:

Range: Okay, I don't want to argue with you any further on range. I will instead do two things:

- "Weapons Cannot be fired at targets more then 4x thier range distance."

- if you're interested in a more in-depth debate on the subject, look at:

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

Needler: and still it's not a classical needle rifle (nor does it shoot modern day flechette rounds) as known from various cyberpunk games. That's what I was pointing out and that's all that is necessary to explain why it may have a Pen of 0.

Damage/Pen: The Astartes Sniper Rifle is apparently not designed to snipe someone behind thick armoured glass. Nor can you expect these brittle slithers to do more damage than a HB round (although on a good shot they can do). If that isn't good enough for you, I advise Stalker rounds for now and later the Stalker pattern. Or a plasmagun or a lascannon. You'll lose the accuracy quality though.

Pages: Yes, I'd like you type out all the page numbers you know.

Alex

Um I don't even know what you are talking about with the 4x. Scroll up I never said something COULD be fired at 4x range. YOU SAID EXTREME RANGE IS 4x. I corrected you and said it is 3x and that you can fire at -30 per standard rules pg 247 so get off the crack.

Needler:Um this isnt cyber punk, your not going on hacker missions or casting nanites into the air. I didn't say it was a needler THE BOOK did so take it up with Ross I guess.

I know that weapon isnt designed to snipe someone behind glass! IT IS A SUB-PAR Sniper Weapon which is how I started this forum and you have attempted to argue with me about it and misquoted half the book doing so.

I know all the pages because I own and have read the book. Ask away.

Ha I checked the link all it did was take me to the forums, I don't think you ever check your sources

#13 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

Imo the advantages of the Astartes sniper rifle are:

• The ammo is very, very light. Allowing the scout initiates to operate independently for very long periods. If I recall correctly scouts carry the device that generates the ammo.
  • The operation is virtually silent and flashless
  • Using called shots on unarmoured locations - one shot kills are likely

As far as DW is concerned, an Astartes sniper rifle (with scope) is a nice secondary weapon to have. Btw I would be inclined to rule that the snipe rifles always come with scopes - and this is included in the req cost.

Clearly it is not the equivalent to a modern sniper rifle. But how many 50-caliber rounds does a modern sniper carry? Is he dropped behind enemy lines and expected to operate independently for months?

If you want the 40K equivalent to a modern sniper rifle - perhaps a Lascannon...

#14 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:23 AM

Before this goes on too long, there is a misprint in the book. The range rules stated in the equipment section are incorrect. The range rules stated in the combat section are correct. This is as per the rogue trader and dark heresy errata. Both systems also have the same misprint between equipment section and combat section.

Therefore, the range increment of the sniper rifle is

point blank 0-2m
short 3-100m
medium 101-400m
long 401-600
extreme 601-800m

And yes, scopes (and some talents) remove the negative penalties. Also, yes, this gun is terrible. Best use is to have the apothecary further poison the round, and in using it stealthily, against an unarmoured target, such as an ethereal. It really shouldn't be used in combat (or rather, not in something where the enemy is fighting back).

#15 Nimon

Nimon

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:53 AM

Fresnel said:

Imo the advantages of the Astartes sniper rifle are:

• The ammo is very, very light. Allowing the scout initiates to operate independently for very long periods. If I recall correctly scouts carry the device that generates the ammo.
  • The operation is virtually silent and flashless
  • Using called shots on unarmoured locations - one shot kills are likely

As far as DW is concerned, an Astartes sniper rifle (with scope) is a nice secondary weapon to have. Btw I would be inclined to rule that the snipe rifles always come with scopes - and this is included in the req cost.

Clearly it is not the equivalent to a modern sniper rifle. But how many 50-caliber rounds does a modern sniper carry? Is he dropped behind enemy lines and expected to operate independently for months?

If you want the 40K equivalent to a modern sniper rifle - perhaps a Lascannon...

But how many modern day snipers are space marines with unnatural strx2? Thats my point they should have exceptional weapons beyond what we have now.  A modern day sniper behind enemy lines would use a .308 if western or 7.62 if eastern of corse thats in general if you were some black ops badass im sure you would have something more custom.

#16 Nimon

Nimon

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:57 AM

KommissarK said:

Before this goes on too long, there is a misprint in the book. The range rules stated in the equipment section are incorrect. The range rules stated in the combat section are correct. This is as per the rogue trader and dark heresy errata. Both systems also have the same misprint between equipment section and combat section.

Therefore, the range increment of the sniper rifle is

point blank 0-2m
short 3-100m
medium 101-400m
long 401-600
extreme 601-800m

And yes, scopes (and some talents) remove the negative penalties. Also, yes, this gun is terrible. Best use is to have the apothecary further poison the round, and in using it stealthily, against an unarmoured target, such as an ethereal. It really shouldn't be used in combat (or rather, not in something where the enemy is fighting back).

Thanks thats all I was really saying is that this weapon is incredibly sub-par for the task. Can you Imagine your up against a horde of Chaos and you got this little needler thing that might poison one of them a round? I am just trying to look at it as if I were the player, there is no way you could convince me to use that item or play that role. You want me to snipe the Deamon Prince? ok give me something that can take that bad boy down.

#17 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:05 AM

Its an accurate weapon. It can have an Atartes Targeter. That reduces range penalties to 0 and adds a bonus +10 to aim (+20 with the Targeter) for a total of +30/+40 aim (full round). If you are the sniper chances are you have the stats to back it up, i.e., Stealth, Concealment, high BS (50-60 or so), Marksman, Crack shot and so forth.

So it wouldnt be unfeasible to gain the full +60 modifier, have a to hit roll of 110-130 and be doing +2D10 damage on any roll of 70 (possibly as high as 90) or less. With an average of 6 successes you can replace the lowest die of damage with a 6.

Sniper rifles are not designed to take down walking walls of super muscle and armoured plate. They go for head shots, heart shots, kill shots. So if sniping against the Tau you are not firing at a crisis suit in the midst of combat while running toward it with your buddy beside you whirring a chain blade. No you are hidden in the trees, 800 meters away, waiting for the time when Commander Communist-Tau walks to the latrine in his towel and then you unleash a 3D10 damage shot to his TB 3 body and watch as he explodes.

• segara82 and pearldrum1 like this

#18 muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:26 AM

Amen...add into that toxins and the like and you have a truely devistating weapon, when used in the correct circumstances.

• pearldrum1 likes this

#19 Gantz the slaughterer

Gantz the slaughterer

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:46 AM

sorry but...the scout miniature....wich rifle use?

the stalker bolter or the sniper rifle???

and the sniper rifle used by assasin???

#20 Unusualsuspect

Unusualsuspect

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:51 AM

Space Marine scouts have been modeled with both Long Las and Needle Rifle sniper weapons, as far as I can recall.

The stalker boltgun seems to be there to represent Srgt Telios and his wtfawesome ability to snipe people with rocket-propelled explosives.

Assuming by "Assassin" you mean the official sniper assassin training, you're talking about Vindicare Assassins and their highly potent Exitus Rifles.  Unfortunately, Exitus Rifles are made solely by the Adeptus Mechanicus for the temple assassins, and only for the temple assassins, and are the sort of relicy, legendary weapons that would be at least on par with that Scapulan (sp?) Bolter in terms of availability and renown required, and is probably actually more rare.  While it would be the sort of sniper rifle the OP was referring to, it wouldn't be available to the Astartes.

Still, the OP's suggested stats are, in my opinion, way out of line - they match or exceed even the Exitus Rifle, which is in-universe pretty much the KING of sniper rifles.  3d10 +5 dmg, 8 pen?  That's higher than Plasma, and that doesn't even take into account the chance for extra d10s of damage from the Accurate quality.

Perhaps if the OP's weapon were considered a "Heavy" weapon, but the range, damage, and pen would still need to be toned down a bit.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS