Playing a 1 player game

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mattcalaho

mattcalaho

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

So im new to the game and was wondering what you guys and gals think of playing solo?

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:20 AM

Lots of folks play solo, including me.  It may  well be the best solo boardgame there is.  It's a cooperative game so PC's are a team (unless that "Join the Winning Team" card comes up from Dunwich expansion).

A key thing is that it doesn't mean you have to only play 1 character (as that's very tough), you can plan 2, 3, 4 (I think going over that it becomes too difficult to manage).  I play solo with 4 lots of the time, use a cthulhu marker (same as from LCG or the "bag of cthulhu") to keep track of 1st player as you can lose track (actually use it when playing with friends too for same reason).

Rob

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:10 PM

There is a thread where people discuss their solo gaming experiences with Arkham on the main page of these forums. Maybe you could be interested in reading even their experiences. In case, you find this thread here. Anyway, Valvorik's words are wise, it's not a problem playing with multiple investigator even if you're alone. It's always great fun ::smiling::

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

I'll have to give that one a try.

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#5 Sorrowsend

Sorrowsend

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

I played my first game solo, trying to keep track of multiple investagators can be a chalenge but i could not image trying to keeping control of the board with only one. the game is great even alone

#6 SergeantSlug

SergeantSlug

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

I play solo quite often, Arkham Horror works quite well as a solo game, however, just as valvorik said, it's not recommended to play as only one character because it ups the difficulty to a rather unbearable level.

#7 jeremyj621

jeremyj621

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

Playing a solo game can be fun, even using only 1 investigator, it just depends on how you want to win the game. If you want to win by closing or sealing gates, play with more than one investigator (4 is best; more than that can be confusing for a solo player). If you want to win by defeating the Ancient One, use a solo investigator. When battling the AO with a solo investigator, each success on the attack roll removes one doom token. A properly equipped investigator can defeat just about any AO one-on-one. With only one investigator, focus on equipping for the final battle right from the start, and stockpile those clue tokens. You can close some gates too, especially if the AO takes away gate trophies with its attack (such as Yog-Sothoth or Tsathoggua).

As a sidenote, this strategy works well with less than 4 players: it's likely the AO will awaken and gates will open up too frequently for a small group to close. With less than 4 players, prepare for the final battle as soon as possible.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS