Your Best Death So Far?!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Arkio_Gannys

Arkio_Gannys

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

I run DH, and one of the missions I had my Acolytes run was to hunt down and capture if possible a rogue psyker (level 6 pyromancer who dabbled in telepathy) and they promptly spent the next four 5-hour sessions tracking down every lead and whisper of the guy I could throw their way. During this time, three of my five acolytes levelled up, including the Psyker, so I was beginning to think the psyker they were hunting wouldn't be much of a challenge for them.

They hunted the guy down, requested a squad of inquisitorial stormtroopers and were rewarded with a kill-squad of 5. The acolytes and the stormtroopers proceeded to clear out a lower-hive hab block, packed to the rafters with cultists and very low level psykers. The mission went with almost no hitches, although the kill-squad fell prey to a cleverly concealed (if I do say so myself) heavy stubber, which also critically wounded one of my two guardsmen. They left him in control of the heavy stubber and proceeded to search the building for the rogue psyker, who turned out to be in the tunnels beneath the block. They cornered him in a collapsed sewer, and he started casting fireballs and firing his auto pistol trying to keep them at bay, until he had a power blackout and they started advancing on him that is. He managed to hold them off without taking any serious damage until his powers returned, at which point my second guardsman decided to charge the psyker.

Now the guy was running flat out, sprinting to close the distance when mr rogue decided to cast flame wall, which promptly erupted from the floor and incinerated the sprinting guardsman. Now everyone else got a bit pissed off and renewed thier assault on the rogue. Emboldened by his kill, the rogue decided to take the offensive and tried to dominate my psyker. One willpower test later and suddenly my acolytes were beset on both sides my magical fire and gunfire!

Now as you can imagine, my psyker wasn't very impressed at having been dominated by a rogue, and in the following turn, after taking control of his body back, he unleashed his favourite power, holocaust. And I think we all know how that ended. (not very well for the rogue XD)

#22 Azraiel

Azraiel

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

Two of my favourites, which I cannot claim as my own deaths, sadly.

Firstly, Dark Heresy.

My Acolyte Cell received a new recruit; a dumb-as-hell Psyker, who suffered from an insanity which left him imitating the voice and mannerisms of whichever person he last had a meaningful verbal exchange with. His voice was grating and sounded almost hillbilly-like in the rare instances he reverted to his own, frightfully uncouth, voice. Apart from rapidly earning the ire of the the entire cell, including the (at least apparantly) unfazeable Tech-Priest Biologis, utterly professional Moritat Reaper and their dashingly handsome, devil-may-care rakehell of a leader, he had a habit of weakening the veil to get his powers off, which horrified both the players and the aetherscope we had borrowed around the time he joined us.

Anyway, knowing this character would only stay fun for a while and may have to be retired soon anyway for more pressing, real-lifey stuff, he purchased with his starting thrones, wait for it.

…A bandoleer full of grenades, on a Joker-Dark-Knight style ripcord of thick, white string.

"In case I summon a Daemon!" He would say, one time in my character's own voice. Our cell debated the virtues of murdering him and flushing the body out an airlock more than once while he was out of earshot, but our Lord Inquisitor had been a good and trustworthy master to us, and we didn't wish to waste his expensive and volatile resource out of hand.

…But you can guess who summoned a Daemon no more than a couple of sessions later, right?

Throne bless that crazy bastard, when a Daemon of The Feathered Deceiver plunged out of a nearby wall, he crash-tackled it and pulled the ripcord. The GM didn't make him roll damage for all those frag grenades, he just explained that when the initial pall of smoke cleared and our ears stopped ringing and bleeding, we could see that all that was left of our insane and potentially soul-forefiting burden was a greasy smear on the floor and the smell of burnt blood and ozone.

We light a candle for him in the Shrine of the Martyred Dead, aboard the Lamp of Reason, the starship upon which we are billeted, every Candlemas, in memory of his commitment to "friendship" and duty.

Secondly, Deathwatch.

Our Kill-Team is heavily engaged and dug in during a multi-team raid on the Chaos-blighted world of Sammech, the primary Forge World and a major strongpoint against the Imperial Crusaders. The fighting is intense, two Kill-teams have gone silent on other lines and the advanced party was yet to destroy the objective deep below.

Dark Skitarii march against us in ranks, we share foxholes with the corpses of a pack of Raptors we had just desperately repelled, our Apothecary running frantically between badly wounded brothers, having sedated the near-comatose form of Lucius the Eternal after desperately crying out warnings to his brothers not to kill the Arch-Traitor under pain of eternal damnation (that situation was resolved by our Tactical Marine Squad Leader, having lost his helmet to a head crit, scooping it back up and beating Lucius savagely across the head with it until he passed out from massive fatigue and critical damage).

You'd think it couldn't get any worse, we certainly hadn't faced a major figure from 40K lore before or since, and probably overtaxed our fluid recyclers when we realised who it was. But, of course, it did get worse. A Warhound Titan comes striding over the horizon, as if our morbid optimism that things could not possibly deteriorate from here had summoned it. So our Librarian, a Space Wolf of no small amount of courage or reckless zeal, fires up his jump pack and proceeds to fly (not jump in amongst the enemy, fly) directly towards the Titan at full speed, still almost half a kilometre away.

You can guess where this is going.

Our insane Librarian disappears beneath the dual impacts of a Turbo Laser volley the next round, his Storm Shield, perhaps the source of his wild confidence, stops neither of the blasts. Since he had fate points to burn, he survived.

…Well, half of him did, anyway.

#23 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

Azraiel said:

Two of my favourites, which I cannot claim as my own deaths, sadly.

Firstly, Dark Heresy.

My Acolyte Cell received a new recruit; a dumb-as-hell Psyker, who suffered from an insanity which left him imitating the voice and mannerisms of whichever person he last had a meaningful verbal exchange with. His voice was grating and sounded almost hillbilly-like in the rare instances he reverted to his own, frightfully uncouth, voice. Apart from rapidly earning the ire of the the entire cell, including the (at least apparantly) unfazeable Tech-Priest Biologis, utterly professional Moritat Reaper and their dashingly handsome, devil-may-care rakehell of a leader, he had a habit of weakening the veil to get his powers off, which horrified both the players and the aetherscope we had borrowed around the time he joined us.

Anyway, knowing this character would only stay fun for a while and may have to be retired soon anyway for more pressing, real-lifey stuff, he purchased with his starting thrones, wait for it.

…A bandoleer full of grenades, on a Joker-Dark-Knight style ripcord of thick, white string.

"In case I summon a Daemon!" He would say, one time in my character's own voice. Our cell debated the virtues of murdering him and flushing the body out an airlock more than once while he was out of earshot, but our Lord Inquisitor had been a good and trustworthy master to us, and we didn't wish to waste his expensive and volatile resource out of hand.

…But you can guess who summoned a Daemon no more than a couple of sessions later, right?

Throne bless that crazy bastard, when a Daemon of The Feathered Deceiver plunged out of a nearby wall, he crash-tackled it and pulled the ripcord. The GM didn't make him roll damage for all those frag grenades, he just explained that when the initial pall of smoke cleared and our ears stopped ringing and bleeding, we could see that all that was left of our insane and potentially soul-forefiting burden was a greasy smear on the floor and the smell of burnt blood and ozone.

We light a candle for him in the Shrine of the Martyred Dead, aboard the Lamp of Reason, the starship upon which we are billeted, every Candlemas, in memory of his commitment to "friendship" and duty.

Esdras said:

In a Dark Heresy game I was part of, I decided to play the group's psyker - but eyepoppingly bad rolls for everything but willpower meant he turned out to be a frail, creepy little guy whose accent wildly varied from moment to moment, but generally acted with a kind of country-fried innocence to to horrible world he occupied. On a foolish whim, I decided to spend my starting budget on a dozen frag grenades.

When it became apparent that my psyker wasn't good for much and was seriously disturbing the other characters with his demeanor, I took the precautionary measure of tying a piece of string through the pins on all the grenades. I dubbed this the "rip cord" - a merciless option to reply to any character in game whose hatred of the witch was too broad ranging.

All the characters hated my psyker. He was an ignorant, unsettling man with a habit of Weakening the Veil to get his powers to go off more option - and incidentally, causing more Psychic Phenomena. He was considered the very worst example of a psyker - the reason such mutants were abhored as no-good deviants from humanity.

All this changed the day he accidentally trigged a Perils of the Warp roll which summoned a Horror of Tzeench a few feet from the group, its glistening tendrils and gibbering mouths writhing and whispering doom, respectively. As a beginning Dark Heresy group, this seemed like it was going to tax us all the fate point. But for me, it seemed that Sanctioned Psyker Mithras Marr had discovered his destiny.

Winning the initiative and flogging the Willpower check in a pair of provident rolls, my character strolled over to the Horror, somewhat nonchalant in his lethal adhesion to duty, and pulled the rip cord.

Needless to say, the resulting explosion annihilated him and the daemon, and left the cell, after only moments before having been certain of death, blinking in shock.

Now, everyone loved my psyker. His selfless sacrifice and instant willingness to die to contain the terrible power within himself, and to slam shut the gates of oblivion in a fantastic hail of shrapnel and meat, have made him the very image of an Imperial Psyker's duty and mandatory courage. The remaining characters collected the string with the grenade pins on it, dropped mid-stride and thus able to survive the explosion, and consider it a kind of charm, or relic.

Good times.

By chance, you both aren't in the same group are you? 

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#24 Azraiel

Azraiel

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hahaha, yes it seems that way! I confess I was sold on posting in this thread after only a couple of entries. Still, always interesting to read two different accounts of the same story, I think.

At least that's what I'm saying, and I'm sticking to it. >_>

#25 Ion288

Ion288

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

So..

The space station is on fire AND ventilating AND there is a voice warning of an imminent reactor explosion. My players are being chased by a mob of bile scum mutants but they all reach the Arvus Lighter in time.

All except the guardsman who turn around to "get even" and fire of his heavy stubber. The arbites leader slams the hatch shut and leaves him behind. I declare his character dead but he's still got a FP to burn so I let him wake up in a small escape pod with a dead NPC and rats eating his legs. 

He attacks the rats with his heavy stubber…

#26 Meridien

Meridien

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Recently, my long-time favourite character died. It was definitely a memorable death, although I am hesitant to call it the best one I've had so far. The character in question was an Untouchable assassin who had a relic of the Dark Age of Technology - an intact artifical intelligence which he developed a friendship with. After gaining a few corruption points which damaged the artificial intelligence, I opted to burn all of my fate points as part of a deal with my game master in order to purify my character and have the chance to reboot that artifical intelligence through role-playing and some tech-heresy. It made a lot of sense in character to do it; as it was my character's only real friend. A few missions lately, after barely surviving a few times by the skin of my teeth, the game master game to the decision to kill off my character since he had botched a few rolls to continue on with my character, despite the lack of fate points. So, the death-mission started…

We were on our way to our next mission and while making a stop in a warp route, we were raided. My character went outside in a void-suit and fought off those trying to board the ship. At this stage, an emergency warp jump began by the captain… with my character unable to make it back through the air lock. Being outside the ship, my character was exposed to a direct view of the warp - being pulled behind the ship after hooking his grappling hook to part of the ship to remain secure - like a water skiier behind a boat. While not exactly clear on what was going to happen to my character (the Untouchable and the Profane states a protection from warp energies) - the artificial intelligence that was attached to my character was not. Surviving the warp jump and trying to get back into the ship, my character was highly changed - having become a shambling corpse animated by the corrupted artificial intelligence's systems. Confused, I attempted to get help only to be met with increasing attacks before a priest came and used holy powers to slay me (once again an oddity considering the Untouchable and the Profane) - but it's hard to say what truly happened in terms of the dynamics of it since I'm not the game master.

And that's that, dead character. Still not entirely sure how I feel about it, as I would have liked to know that my character was going to die ahead of him so I could at least work with the game master to come up with an appropriate death, but it was definitely one of the more memorable character deaths.

#27 Meridien

Meridien

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Meridien said:

Recently, my long-time favourite character died. It was definitely a memorable death, although I am hesitant to call it the best one I've had so far. The character in question was an Untouchable assassin who had a relic of the Dark Age of Technology - an intact artifical intelligence which he developed a friendship with. After gaining a few corruption points which damaged the artificial intelligence, I opted to burn all of my fate points as part of a deal with my game master in order to purify my character and have the chance to reboot that artifical intelligence through role-playing and some tech-heresy. It made a lot of sense in character to do it; as it was my character's only real friend. A few missions lately, after barely surviving a few times by the skin of my teeth, the game master game to the decision to kill off my character since he had botched a few rolls to continue on with my character, despite the lack of fate points. So, the death-mission started…

We were on our way to our next mission and while making a stop in a warp route, we were raided. My character went outside in a void-suit and fought off those trying to board the ship. At this stage, an emergency warp jump began by the captain… with my character unable to make it back through the air lock. Being outside the ship, my character was exposed to a direct view of the warp - being pulled behind the ship after hooking his grappling hook to part of the ship to remain secure - like a water skiier behind a boat. While not exactly clear on what was going to happen to my character (the Untouchable and the Profane states a protection from warp energies) - the artificial intelligence that was attached to my character was not. Surviving the warp jump and trying to get back into the ship, my character was highly changed - having become a shambling corpse animated by the corrupted artificial intelligence's systems. Confused, I attempted to get help only to be met with increasing attacks before a priest came and used holy powers to slay me (once again an oddity considering the Untouchable and the Profane) - but it's hard to say what truly happened in terms of the dynamics of it since I'm not the game master.

And that's that, dead character. Still not entirely sure how I feel about it, as I would have liked to know that my character was going to die ahead of him so I could at least work with the game master to come up with an appropriate death, but it was definitely one of the more memorable character deaths.

Sentence correction: *the game master decided to kill off my character

#28 Ferau

Ferau

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

It's a long, complicated story but I think the best character death I've had so far is in Dark Heresy, though I've seen some great ones in Deathwatch as well.

Our newly minted Inquisitor killed himself when he realized that he'd been lured into a Tzeenchian plot to fight his old master. They were unwitting champions of a chaos power and if one of them died by the other's hand, the daemon would be released.  The only way he could be sure to rob the daemon of victory was killing himself. Or at least that was his ultimate conclusion.  No pun intended.

It was heartbreaking to see the realization dawn on my player's face, but he never hesitated.  He was a true servant of the God-emperor.

#29 Arkio_Gannys

Arkio_Gannys

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

My first Dark Heresy group reached rank 6-7 and I decided to send them after Arkades Thrum, a notorious pyrokine who had recently evaded then incinerated an Inquisitorial Stormtrooper assault squad. They spent three sessions hunting him and his leads down, systematically interrogating his contacts before handing them over for official Inquisition interrogation. Eventually they hunted him down to an agri-world where he had been hiding with a den of Psyker sympathisers, which was a bad idea… 

Now my group despise psykers after their own psyker turned on them in an earlier mission and they basically reduced him to component atoms by venting him from an airlock into the engine wash of a passing cargo ship. So when they found out thier target was hiding and who were involved, so they called in and requested reinforcements and re-equipping but aid was unavailable so they re-equipped at a local PDF garrison. Now my assassin, 2 guardsmen, an arbitrator, a tech preist and my cleric all exited the PDF armoury with the best equipment they could get thier grubby mitts upon. So they borrow a PDF chimera, ram straight through the shop acting as a front for the psyker hiding business, instantly flattening three of the sympathisers to a fine goo and alerting the rest of the mostly subterranean compound to thier presence. After another session of fighting through the building and clearing it out, they made thier way to sub basement C-3. Having seen the power a psyker can wield, especially at close range, they slowly progressed through the cavernous sub-basement only to find Thrum trying in vain to start a Valkyrie. Nothing they have is anywhere near powerful enough to scratch the Valkyrie, and the acolytes began panicking until the tech-preist happily notes that the Valkyrie is completely unable to even begin takeoff procedures as a vital part of the engine is laying on a work bench just feet from the access hatch. Emboldened by this development, the acolytes began to shout to Thrum that they have him surrounded and he should give up quickly, to which he replies something along the lines of "faff off!". 

Taking this as a personal insult, the younger and more impetuous of my guardsman howls a war cry, charges at the Valkyrie and runs slap bang into… A 9 foot tall, 16 foot wide Wall of Fire, instantly atomising him, all his gear, and a good chunk of the evidence they gathered while clearing the compound they were in. The rest of my Acolytes obviously didn't take this well and proceeded to lay a whole wagon of whup-ass on this guy, and let's just say, they made him wish the Inquisition would hurry up and rescue him from the acolytes!

(sorry for poor storytelling, I ran a 7 3/4 hour session yesterday and am currently half way through a 9 hour work shift :/

#30 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

One of my favourite NPC death's so far has to be when the groups Guardsman character (Deadhead) was trying to sneakinto a warehouse.  He disguised himself as an electro-Technomat (read electrician) and had a security guard show him around after the Techpriest caused a blackout in the whole area.

So the Guardsmen finds a way into the warehouse through a side door but needs to get rid of the security guard.  He grabs the secruity guard in a headlong and stabs him through the eye with a screwdriver.  The Guardsman had a SB of 5 and crushing Blow and he rolled a series of 10's for damage.  The critical result effectively said that the blow removed the top of the security guards head….with a screw driver!.

The other PCs hear a strange commotion over the vox feed which results in this covnersation

Tech Priest: What's your status Deadhead?

Guardsman: I'm in the warehouse

Tech priest: What about the security guard?

Guardsman: He's uh…screwed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS