Plastic or Pewter?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ken on Cape

Ken on Cape

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

No place in the description of the AH minis does it is if they are metal or plastic. Anyone know? IMO 4 buck for a platic mini is pretty high.

#2 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

Ken on Cape said:

No place in the description of the AH minis does it is if they are metal or plastic. Anyone know? IMO 4 buck for a platic mini is pretty high.

Definitely plastic. And the price is _not_ pretty high. What are you comparing the price against?!

#3 Ken on Cape

Ken on Cape

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

jhaelen said:

Ken on Cape said:

Definitely plastic. And the price is _not_ pretty high. What are you comparing the price against?!

Well the WOTc DnD minis are about 10 bucks a booster, you get 8 minis for that. You are almost paying half a booster for one AH mini.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:44 AM

Ken on Cape said:

Well the WOTc DnD minis are about 10 bucks a booster, you get 8 minis for that. You are almost paying half a booster for one AH mini.

Are WotC minis pre-painted? Just a curiosity of mine, I'm not an expert of minis at all, but 4 bucks for a pre-painted mini seemed to me not too a high price

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Ken on Cape

Ken on Cape

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:09 AM

Yes the WOTC DnD plastic minis are painted.

#6 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:42 AM

Let's make it simple: Think it's too pricey? Then don't buy it. Period.

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

#7 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

Ken on Cape said:

Well, the current set only includes 6 minis per booster. Two of these are commons which cost almost nothing (let's say 0.25$). Then you have three other minis which are either uncommon (these typically sell for 1$ each), rare or very rare. One case of 8 booster (i.e. 48 minis) on average contains three very rares, 11 rares, 18 uncommons, and 16 commons and costs about 200$. This means you're paying about 178$ for the 14 (very) rares, or about 12$ for each! The comparison is admittedly somewhat skewed, since some of the DDM minis are Large or Huge, but you get the idea.

I'm assuming here, the paint-job quality for the AH minis is comparable to a rare.

A better comparison would be the DDM PHB Heroes sets, which include three pc minis per set and cost 11$, i.e. 3.67$ per mini. And that's almost identical to the price for the AH minis.

#8 Ken on Cape

Ken on Cape

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:54 AM

jhaelen said:

Ken on Cape said:

Well, the current set only includes 6 minis per booster. Two of these are commons which cost almost nothing (let's say 0.25$). Then you have three other minis which are either uncommon (these typically sell for 1$ each), rare or very rare. One case of 8 booster (i.e. 48 minis) on average contains three very rares, 11 rares, 18 uncommons, and 16 commons and costs about 200$. This means you're paying about 178$ for the 14 (very) rares, or about 12$ for each! The comparison is admittedly somewhat skewed, since some of the DDM minis are Large or Huge, but you get the idea.

I'm assuming here, the paint-job quality for the AH minis is comparable to a rare.

A better comparison would be the DDM PHB Heroes sets, which include three pc minis per set and cost 11$, i.e. 3.67$ per mini. And that's almost identical to the price for the AH minis.

I have not gotten any DnD minis recently. Did not know they changed. Thanks.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS