• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

darknight said:

in most games there is always somehow you can make it solo, you just need to be fair and sort of play both sides, like in arkham horror.

really looking forward to this, as sometimes its a bit of a choir setting up a game of a.h for yourself to play, this beeing board/tile driven will be easier

I'm not sure that this game could be played solo.  A big part of the game is that the Keeper knows something the Investigators don't.  I suppose you could play it in the sense that you could just act everything out, but I'm not sure you could call it playing the "game".  It would be more like just playing with the figures.  That's fine, if that's what you dig, but I'd rather play the game using the mechanics provided.

#22 KingTut

KingTut

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

causeitwasfunny said:

I'm not sure that this game could be played solo.  A big part of the game is that the Keeper knows something the Investigators don't.  I suppose you could play it in the sense that you could just act everything out, but I'm not sure you could call it playing the "game".  It would be more like just playing with the figures.  That's fine, if that's what you dig, but I'd rather play the game using the mechanics provided.

I think you could probably randomly set cards around the house and uncover them as you go to see what the "keeper" is up to.

The only problem with this is you wouldn't be able to try and accomplish anything as the keeper since you don't know what you're doing yet! Also, some clues may only match with some plans, which could create problems.

#23 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

KingTut said:

causeitwasfunny said:

I think you could probably randomly set cards around the house and uncover them as you go to see what the "keeper" is up to.

The only problem with this is you wouldn't be able to try and accomplish anything as the keeper since you don't know what you're doing yet! Also, some clues may only match with some plans, which could create problems.

My point.

#24 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

From what we've heard, particular clues have to go in specific rooms.  So you can't place them randomly, and if you know where they are it destroys half the point of the game.

#25 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

Not to mention if you truly randomize the clues, there won't be any flavor to the game.  You'll making up the keeper's "objective" at that point, and probably unsuccessfully.  You would have to forgo the clues altogether and couldn't play any of the Keeper's cards (maybe randomly, but then what about threat?). This game really isn't suited for solo-play.

#26 KingTut

KingTut

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

That's a good point- it really doesn't seem that this game would be fit for solo play without massive conversions to the rules. However, until I see the rulebook (hopefully soon!), I'll just have to hope there are some loopholes to allow for an automated keeper.

#27 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:45 PM

I agree it appears not to offer Solo but we're all thinking of trying to play against a robo  Keeper,perhaps there is a way to play the keeper and robo the Investigators Gotta see them Rules.

OD

A Dwarf in Winter

#28 Span Argoman

Span Argoman

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:47 AM

Old Dwarf said:

I agree it appears not to offer Solo but we're all thinking of trying to play against a robo  Keeper,perhaps there is a way to play the keeper and robo the Investigators Gotta see them Rules.

OD

Now that makes solo play a lot more appealing to me. Seeing how to squish the investigators.

#29 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

Mmmmmmmmaybe.  I don't know.  Honestly, I have no interest in playing solo.  It just seems like it would be way more fun to get friends together to play, even if it was possible.

#30 wurstmeister

wurstmeister

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:03 AM

after the impression i got of the game i dont think solo play will be possible...simply because the gamemaster's part seemed more "player-like" than "allmighty" ..it felt more like a strong opponent you have to take down with combined power. the game mechanics seemed to limit his powers so he cant just squish everything that moves even if he wanted ^^  i think solo mode would be like playing chess vs yourself

#31 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:53 AM

causeitwasfunny said:

Mmmmmmmmaybe.  I don't know.  Honestly, I have no interest in playing solo.  It just seems like it would be way more fun to get friends together to play, even if it was possible.

True the Social aspects of Gaming are fun(well usually ) but many players like to just relax & experience the Game by themselves besides the Beer last longer that way .

I really hope MoM can be worked around to Solo,I prefer my Lovecraft as a Solo experience,it just seems so....well LOVECRAFT .

OD

A Dwarf in Winter

#32 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

Old Dwarf said:

besides the Beer last longer that way .

Thumbs up!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#33 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

Old Dwarf said:

causeitwasfunny said:

True the Social aspects of Gaming are fun(well usually ) but many players like to just relax & experience the Game by themselves besides the Beer last longer that way .

I really hope MoM can be worked around to Solo,I prefer my Lovecraft as a Solo experience,it just seems so....well LOVECRAFT .

OD

Don't get me wrong, I've played a few games solo and enjoyed them (Arkham Horror, Touch of Evil, etc).  However, I'm not sure this game would feel right solo.  If there was a comprehensive way to play it solo, I'd give it a shot.  I just don't see that happening.

#34 macgowan

macgowan

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:47 AM

Old Dwarf said:

OD

Now THIS would be genius.  It would give Keepers a way to create custom scenarios and playtest them without revealing everything.  I've been trying to find ways to play a Cthulhu RPG besides my 20-year old 4th ed. Chaosium stuff (wife doesn't like new systems, but LOVES Arkham Horror).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS