Jump to content



Photo

OMG!


  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 le_renard

le_renard

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

They know how to pull us !! This looks nice and like an alternative for those Lovecraftian gaming nights...

But, to make it awfully short, isn't it a mythos based Doom-like ? ( Well, with cards.... but will it really make any difference ? )

 



#22 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:31 AM

le_renard said:

They know how to pull us !! This looks nice and like an alternative for those Lovecraftian gaming nights...

But, to make it awfully short, isn't it a mythos based Doom-like ? ( Well, with cards.... but will it really make any difference ? )

 

Yeah, probably a little more like Descent, in that regard.  Even still, should be a nice change up.  I'm not really all that in to LCGs, so I never played Call of Cthulu, so I'm happy to get another Lovecraftian board game.



#23 Denim Demon

Denim Demon

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:47 AM

Looks great! I cant wait to read the rules.........



#24 Prof_werewolf

Prof_werewolf

    Member

  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

I cannot overstate how excited I am for this. My group and I have been looking for something new to sink our teeth into and I think this might just be it. No doubt my credit card company is going to love me too.



#25 dvang

dvang

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

Don't get me wrong.  My wife and I love AH for its co-op play.  Comparing MM & AH, I see it as a potential for degrees.  AH is a more 'macro' game.  The characters move from neighborhood to neighborhood across the city.  There is only a slim story, though.

MM is more zoomed in and more RPG/character focused.  There is a "deep" story with a plot.  The characters are in a single building/grounds. Players get to customize their characters to a degree.  It seems like it is more personal and detailed than AH (again, not saying AH isn't a great game, because it is).  However, my wife dislikes playing 1v1 or 1-vs-many games.  We've played Fury of Dracula, for example, which she didn't hate but didn't particularly enjoy either.  Perhaps it is partially because I am pretty good at boardgames, so when I play Dracula/the Keeper/etc I tend to do very well.  She never wants to play the "evil", though.  She truly enjoys working with others against the game.

That's why I suggested I was a bit disappointed that it didn't have a pure co-op option.  While I expect that I will pick the game up, it won't see as much play from us because of the adversarial nature, unlike AH.  I can probably get her to try it out once 1v1, but otherwise it will sit in the basement except in times where we're got 4 or more people to play.  Conversely, we occasionally break out AH for some 2-player games with just the two of us.



#26 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

    Member

  • Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

To me it looks like the designers really looked at one of the criticisms of Arkham Horror, the inconsistent storyline, and created a system for that. They may have decided to make it mostly cooperative (Descent/Dracula) because they either couldn't find a card based system that worked as well as a live opponent, or they just plain wanted to make it a little more competitive.

From the early previews and designer diaries, Mansions seems to borrow a little mechanically from different games. The Overlord/Keeper player and the scaling based on the number of investigators (similar to the threat tokens in Descent), the buildable mansion like Betrayal (except not random), the title from the Call of Cthulhu RPG, and mooching characters from Arkham.

I would imagine the investigator figures are unpainted versions from the painted figure line. Similar to FFGs re-using Descent and Runebound figures. The monster figures with the slot in the base would seem to hold the Arkham Horror monster chit. This would also make sense, FFG could re-use the monster tiles and AH fans could use the figures for both games.

 

 

 

 



#27 el Igore

el Igore

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

Woot! I've seen the demo game at SPIEL '10 today! Awesome!

Photos will follow, now I need sleep!



#28 el Igore

el Igore

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:38 AM

Here you go:

 

The game was a prototype worth $300 because the monster figs were made of resin. This will be changed to normal figure plastic in the commercial version. It looks like the AH monster tokens will fit into the slots of the bases, but the holes at the topside won't correspond with the layout of the AH tokens.

I saw a puzzle in which the investigators had to assemble a map or document from 8 cardboard pieces. They had to follow some rules how they could swap pieces. The + shaped piece on one of the photos looks like a part of a puzzle too.

 

All in all it looked like a really fun game! Can't wait to get it!

Sadly the demonstrator said the release date was again postponed to February.



#29 letsdance

letsdance

    Member

  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:54 PM

i am not a big fan of those plastic minis :-/ but it looks like in MoM they may be easier to distinguish from each other with the stats shown on each. and it looks like they are easier to distinguish from the player characters (one thing i hate about MEQ). also, the stands look like they are stable, and don't warp alot like about 50 % of my Descent monsters. but still, all in all i would prefer the AH monsters material and game price. i really like to see colors(!) on the players and monsters, even if that means they are cardboards instead of mins.

any info on a box inlay yet? something serious like AH, or just a big nothing like MEQ and Descent?



#30 el Igore

el Igore

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:06 AM

letsdance said:

i am not a big fan of those plastic minis :-/ but it looks like in MoM they may be easier to distinguish from each other with the stats shown on each. and it looks like they are easier to distinguish from the player characters (one thing i hate about MEQ). also, the stands look like they are stable, and don't warp alot like about 50 % of my Descent monsters. but still, all in all i would prefer the AH monsters material and game price. i really like to see colors(!) on the players and monsters, even if that means they are cardboards instead of mins.

any info on a box inlay yet? something serious like AH, or just a big nothing like MEQ and Descent?

They said, the monsters will have different stats (even if they are of the same type) and you won't know how strong a specific monster is until you look on the bottom side of the token in the base. Which you can't do apparently until you decide to fight with it. So it's more risky to fight with a monster than in AH.

The inlay of the demo box was just folded cardboard. You can see it here: www.flickr.com/photos/el_igore/5107317334/

I don't know if this will be changed in the commercial version.



#31 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

    Member

  • Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:47 AM

Looks ike the standard FFG Insert of late.Cadwallon however did come with a nice Plastic insert.

 

OD


A Dwarf in Winter


#32 Drakson

Drakson

    Member

  • Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

Nice looking board and those monsters are huge. Looks like a really neat game and a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to it.



#33 letsdance

letsdance

    Member

  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

el Igore said:

They said, the monsters will have different stats (even if they are of the same type) and you won't know how strong a specific monster is until you look on the bottom side of the token in the base. Which you can't do apparently until you decide to fight with it. So it's more risky to fight with a monster than in AH.

that sounds good =)



#34 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

el Igore said:

Here you go:

 

The game was a prototype worth $300 because the monster figs were made of resin. This will be changed to normal figure plastic in the commercial version. It looks like the AH monster tokens will fit into the slots of the bases, but the holes at the topside won't correspond with the layout of the AH tokens.

I saw a puzzle in which the investigators had to assemble a map or document from 8 cardboard pieces. They had to follow some rules how they could swap pieces. The + shaped piece on one of the photos looks like a part of a puzzle too.

 

All in all it looked like a really fun game! Can't wait to get it!

Sadly the demonstrator said the release date was again postponed to February.

Thanks for the link; the pictures look awesome.  February, though? Ugh. I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.  I'll wait, but I won't be happy about it.



#35 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

    Member

  • Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:45 PM

February is kind of a let down but then again it will allow us to break in Cadwallon & Wardens of the North(which I hope will make in Nov./Dec.)

 

OD


A Dwarf in Winter


#36 Julia

Julia

    I survived Avi's apocalypse

  • Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

el Igore said:

Here you go:

Thank you for sharing your photosession! It was lovely to see detailed pictures of a game


We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#37 cogollo

cogollo

    Member

  • Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:51 AM

el Igore said:

Here you go:

The game was a prototype worth $300 because the monster figs were made of resin. This will be changed to normal figure plastic in the commercial version. It looks like the AH monster tokens will fit into the slots of the bases, but the holes at the topside won't correspond with the layout of the AH tokens.

I saw a puzzle in which the investigators had to assemble a map or document from 8 cardboard pieces. They had to follow some rules how they could swap pieces. The + shaped piece on one of the photos looks like a part of a puzzle too.

All in all it looked like a really fun game! Can't wait to get it!

Sadly the demonstrator said the release date was again postponed to February.

 

I was at Essen and managed to play in one of the demos (around the table your photos show).

I was very impressed with the game and it's now number 1 in my list of games to own+play... I would describe it as a mix of Arkham Horror and Descent, with many small and big improvements to the mechanics of those two great games. It clearly shows that, by now, FFG and Corey Konieczka have a lot of experience designing this kind of games, because many of the details that don't work so well with Arkham Horror and Descent have been polished.

The minis are awesome, the rules make for very fast play, the components top quality. I was specially impressed with the puzzles and the mechanics to solve them (I won't go into more details as I don't want to spoil the fun for anyone).

Also, the game seems very easy to expand, both with new official FFG expansions and by creating your own scenarios (similar to Descent in this sense) and it sometimes felt very close to a session of Call of Cthulhu RPG (which for me is a big plus)... Probably the demonstrator played an important role in this sense, and I found him funny and creepy at the same time, and he made the demo very enjoyable for everybody involved.

As for the release date postponed to February, I was a bit disappointed because I wanted to buy the game at Essen, but with so many new games in my gaming club (we go to Essen each year to fill the cupboards) I'm sure I'll be able to find something interesting to play/do in the meantime.


Hur-Nir ran to the aid of the beaten man, recovering in the process a handful of pennies the thugs had let fall in the man's boots during their hasty retreat. - from Nulner Blues campaign

 


#38 Tarot Mage

Tarot Mage

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

This game looks absolutely amazing!

I'm sure comparisons will inevitably be drawn with MoM and "Betrayal at House on the Hill" and "Castle Ravenloft" but after seeing what this game offers this will be the one that gamers will return to again and again.

Definitely can't wait for this one!!!



#39 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

Tarot Mage said:

This game looks absolutely amazing!

I'm sure comparisons will inevitably be drawn with MoM and "Betrayal at House on the Hill" and "Castle Ravenloft" but after seeing what this game offers this will be the one that gamers will return to again and again.

Definitely can't wait for this one!!!

Based on impressions I've heard here and on BBG, I'd have to say that this game stands to offer a lot more than I initially anticipated.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS