Talisman Solo

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

True, but if any answers were directed to the original poster, not sure if it would help them...

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#22 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

Bathead, Doma did not mean NOT to post in the thread, he was just pointing out when it was started.

You however, totally misread what he was saying....
  • Uvatha likes this

#23 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

ah its ok :-) sometimes I have responded to a post, and realized the original poster is long gone.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#24 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

The solo subject is an interesting one though and probably still of interest to many currently.  I am one of those that sadly does not have a regular Talisman group in my current area and have found DE an absolute godsend.

I do miss actally handling cards and drinkin da beer with friends though and I do occasionally try a solo game, especially when a new expansion is released so i can get to grips with the mechanics.

For my solo games I have created a sort of AI driven by the d6 which allows me to play with all cards available.  this does give your character an advantage in that I know which spells the AI PC's have and can plan accordingly but thats fine in the circumstances.  This is how I play it:

SETUP and CONCEPT

Characters are selected as normal but I will not choose more than 3 NPC's.  (Nothing to stop you choosing more than that but it can get mentally unweildy).  Instead of being questors for the Crown they are defenders of the crown with the prime objective of stopping you from succeeding for their own purposes.

Variation :  The NPC's are also after the crown but will not attempt to access the inner region until they have a STR or CRA equal to 12 (or 10 + d3)

AI MANAGMENT

Movement:    NPC's will always make the obvious beneficial choice for them (as if you were playing them and would do so)  If there is no obvious choice roll d6.  Evens clockwise, Odds anticlockwise.  If they can land on you they will do so if they have the stat advantage and encounter you to take a life.  If stats are equal then refer to the D6 AI roll (1-2 move to space away from you/ 3-4 move to your space but encounter space not you / 5-6 encounter you).  If their stats are lower they will only attempt to engage you on a roll of a 6 on a d6.  If the NPC has an appropriate special ability that would benefit them then they will choose to use it on you.

(EXAMPLE)

I am the Troll on the ruins with an ogre and the NPC Minstrel on the Tavern after rolling for his movement can choose to either encounter the Troll, Ruins space (and ogre) or the woods anti clockwise from tavern. If my troll wasn't a consideration it would be an easy decision as it would not be beneficial for the minstrel to land on the ruins and fight a Str 5 Ogre with Str 2 so the Minstrel would move to the woods.  However I roll a d6 to see if the minstrel has a go at the Troll and roll a 6 meaning that the minstrel thinks he's a hard case and attempts to take on Wayne Roon.. err the troll with his STR 6.  If the Troll would have a Str 8 or more then the STR 2 minstrel would not be able to win so I would not roll to see if the minstrel would encounter the Troll.

If the Troll had the Maiden as a follower then all of a sudden encountering the Troll becomes beneficial and the AI would take over and the Minstrel would encounter the Troll using his special ability to take the Maiden off him.

COMBAT ENCOUNTERS

If the NPC's have the option to land on a creature that can be fought then it is considered beneficial if the NPC has a Stat 2 points higher than the creature.  If the creature has a Stat 2 points higher then the NPC will seek to avoid.  Otherwise assume the AI D6 roll for direction of movement.

SPELL CASTING

NPC's will cast their spells when obvious to do so but only against you as they are directly attempting to thwart you.  If you are using the variant that they are also questing for the crown then randomly determine a target unless an obvious choice presents itself.  basically you have to step into the shoes of the NPC and make an honest decision about when to cast the spell.  If there is no obvious advantage to cast a spell then roll a d6.  On a 5-6 they cast the spell.  For spells that can be cast anytime (like Random)  roll to see if they cast the spell on you at the beginning of your turn or at the beginning of their turn if playing the questing npc's variant and randomly determine the target.

(EXAMPLE)

NPC has Hex spell.  At the start of their turn I roll a die to see if they cast it.  I roll a 5 and cast it choosing an appropriate space as if I was the NPC against my character.  It's now my turn and before I begin i roll to see if an NPC casts their Random spell on me.  I roll a 3 and carry on with my turn safe from the Random spell at least for now.

Thats it in a nutshell, basically play an honest game with an NPC and randomly determine non obvious decisions.  basic AI.

Fun as it is it doesnt replace the fun of other peaple and the outrageous backstabbin and skillful little moves you can chain together ( Evil Husband/Wife Partnerships excepted....*cough* Elliot*cough*

Cheers!

• tarasis likes this

#25 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Whistling away innocently ;-)

• tarasis likes this

#26 John Steed

John Steed

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Talisman is a game which you can play alone. Just pit two characters against each other. You can make a special rule that they never attack each other.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS