£47.39 price tag is giving me second thoughs

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Shelfwear

Shelfwear

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:23 AM

This uk store sells Dungeonquest for 43.00 Euros including free shipping worldwide

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781589949041/Dungeonquest

#22 keltheos

keltheos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

Curator said:

Don't try painting this any other way. Dungeon Quest cost less to make than Chaos in the Old World hands down. I won't allow you to unjustify this with miss leading points. 

Yes, heaven forbid I use my lack of internal knowledge of FFG and how they arrive at game prices to counteract your lack of the same knowledge.

But, rant on, I'd hate to stop the nerdrage train.

#23 meggypeggs

meggypeggs

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:14 AM

I have to agree with Acurator I'm afraid...

And all these size board games I figure are to be this price (£48)...Cadwallon CoT should be proof!

...same quality, same pieces, same whatever...and a £5 rise.

#24 Baenre

Baenre

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

meggypeggs said:

Baenre said:

meggypeggs said:

Toast514 said:

Is it worth your 47.39 in pounds? Yes, because the quality of the game alone is worth that. The figs, board, cards, and tokens are made with fantastic detail and quality.

So where is the difference between this and Chaos Old World?

The board is 50% bigger in CinOW...it also has more figures (about 30 I think)...Im still puzzled to why the extra 30ish% increase in price?

This also goes for the Talsiman expansions...the corner pieces are roughly £30 where the main was roughly £35ish.

If anyone has a legitimate arguement in favour of the customer (as it is the customer why FFG are becoming popular) I will apologise and stand down from this debate

You can get Chaos in the Old World and Dungeonquest online for 38.99 equally.  There is no difference hence there is no price difference.  FFG is nothing like GW so that is a terrible comparison.  Had GW reprinted it you would have paid $100 for it and there would have been a limited print run. 

In regards to GW I know there isnt a strong comparison as you are taking my qoute out of text, my point being when a company gets bigger it cares less about its customers by rising prices. GW was just an example of such a company.

And well done for getting your game equally for 38.99 but in the UK it is listed between £42 to £47 without P+P on some of them as the guy who posted this stated...So you get my point of the price increase now for a game which is supplied in the same size box as Chaos?

As for your point on $100+ for limited print runs with GW, FFG have limited Ed releases too if you investigate your previous comment a little further...

You could always get a nice AMerican friend to buy games for you and ship them to you?  I have done this for a bunch of friends when we all go in on a big buy at once and with a certain level of bought product i get it free shipping an additional 10% discount.  The point is that there is ALWAYS a way to get something for less than MSRP if you do a little leg work and are willing to wait.

I will agree that FFG has put out limited edition runs of games but they differ from GW in that that isn't the only print run of the game you have to buy to get the game.  There's regular print runs of the game as well so that those who cannot afford a limited run can still get the base game. 

#25 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

Curator said:

Don't try painting this any other way. Dungeon Quest cost less to make than Chaos in the Old World hands down. I won't allow you to unjustify this with miss leading points.

It may be true that half of DQ's artwork is recycled from other Terrinoth games and the rules are built on stuff that was (mostly) written in the first edition, but there's still the fact that DQ has more components.  Chaos is a card game, cards are all you need to print.  DQ has cards too, and it has the board, the tiles and the other tokens which have to printed out and die-cut on their sprues, as well as all the other packaging.  Plus the plastic figures, which are notably NOT recycled from previous Terrinoth games, as has been done in the past.

What they save in recycling previous material, they pay out in physical production costs.  The fact that a particular image was used in other games doesn't make it use up less ink this time.

Plus there's the fact that all board games of this size are priced the same.  Fair or not, it shouldn't be a surprise.  If you don't like the price, no one is forcing to you pay it.  You can move on to something more befitting your wallet's capabilities.  Toodles.

#26 Grove12345

Grove12345

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:23 AM

Ok looking at DQ and D&D Wrath of AShsomething/ Ravenloft  same price for all 3

DQ tons of nice looking tiles.  Character Art,,, Terrinoth is lame.

Wizards Of the Coast D&D tons of amazing minis. Like some of the best. And LOTS. But bad tiles. Hmm which one is worth $50?

I think DQ should be like $30

#27 meggypeggs

meggypeggs

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

LOL I dont think we will agree on this debate...

I think we should agree to differ on this subject but the truth is some customers/followers feel FFG who adore the company are getting a rough deal and some are not.

I feel I personally do and that's not even getting into other games such as Talisman/Dungeon/Highlands which are roughly the same price and differ in quantities...

I will keep up as much as I can afford and miss out on other things which is due to cost rather than want!

#28 The Thing In The Attic

The Thing In The Attic

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

Ok so I finally bit the bullet and bought the game. It's been niggling at my concience for ages; i should enjoy this game, i will enjoy this game.

so it arrived to day - problem! I got six players for tonights game session including myself, my biggest fear was if a couple of em die early and they get board.

so when my mates came round I explained at the start about the death rate, the concept that the game is all about looting and dying, and that players may be out early while the game could last a couple of hours for others , and finally i explained that the game was designed for up to four players not six.

so is this game up to a 6 player beating?

the answer is ..... HELL YES ! !!!

and boy did we have a blast.

Firstly i ruled that 2 players would double up at the tower at the start and then set off 1 turn later. the game lasted about 3.5 hours with some small amount of rule thumbing involved, [i'd pre downloaded and read the rules last week]

the first thing players noticed was the combat cards slowed the game and made the turn waiting time longer, however once we got the hang of it, things really did speed up, especially as the first player to die then ran all the monster combat from then on and he picked up the combat system very quickly and to a very deadly degree. boy he was brutal

one player thought a dice combat system would have been better, but for the most part we got used to and accepted the card combat system. the hardest part for us, believe it or not, was reclaiming power cards and re piling up the combat cards, felt a bit messy.

as a gaming group we felt it didn't matter if you died quickly because we were just having a good time being together, one guy took over the monsters, one guy managed all the dungeon card decks and  one guy, me, kept making all the brews. it was fun simply being at the table watching your mates having a laugh, and laugh we did especially when the all corridors rotate card came up. 

it was also nice to not have to be immersed in so much strategy for once, we play strategy heavy games like twilight imperium, warrior knights, arkham horror, etc

one player won with 1600 gp loot

9 out of 10 [combat dice, we feel, would have been more apt for the setting and game speed ]  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS