Unnatural Willpower

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 turinmacleod

turinmacleod

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

Naturally my Librarian plyer hit upon the boxed text in the Psychic Powers section that pointed out how useful Unnatural Willpower is for Psykers, so now he's looking for a wy to atain it.   It's a trait, and it doesn't seem to be purchasable on any advance chart, is it meant for NPCs only?

T

#2 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

In the ascension rules for Dark Heresy, it is possible for some characters to gain unnat willpower. Of course, it is exceedingly useful for a psyker. In the case of the librarian though, they also have a high psy rating (as opposed to what most of us are used to in core DH), so overall, he is still very effective. I would say its up to you the GM if you ever want to offer it to him as an elite advance. I'd say try to make him come up with some reasoning/some sort of task he can do to achieve it. Of course, having it makes him very powerful (or at least, should be, I have not seen the Deathwatch psychic powers).

#3 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

turinmacleod said:

Naturally my Librarian plyer hit upon the boxed text in the Psychic Powers section that pointed out how useful Unnatural Willpower is for Psykers, so now he's looking for a wy to atain it.   It's a trait, and it doesn't seem to be purchasable on any advance chart, is it meant for NPCs only?

T

The same sidebar is in the Rogue Trader psychic powers section, and Astropaths can't obtain it either. In most cases, Unnatural Characteristics (of any kind) are for NPCs; I'd be reluctant to allow anyone access to (additional, in this case) Unnatural Characteristic talents without an extremely good reason.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#4 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:28 AM

The easiest way to get something like that is possibly the worst way.

A dark pact.

#5 PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:58 AM

Peacekeeper_b said:

A dark pact.

That could be fun... :)

#6 skatingtortoise

skatingtortoise

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

beware of fun - that leads to the dark side of the force.

#7 Shamoth

Shamoth

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

Peacekeeper_b said:

A dark pact.

This. Most definitely this. Especially as, yes, unnatural willpower is very, very useful to a psyker and would make the Librarian very powerful.

#8 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:40 AM

Shamoth said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

A dark pact.

This. Most definitely this. Especially as, yes, unnatural willpower is very, very useful to a psyker and would make the Librarian very powerful.

AndIm sure Tzeentch will be happy as well.

#9 Suijin

Suijin

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

turinmacleod said:

T

The same sidebar is in the Rogue Trader psychic powers section, and Astropaths can't obtain it either. In most cases, Unnatural Characteristics (of any kind) are for NPCs; I'd be reluctant to allow anyone access to (additional, in this case) Unnatural Characteristic talents without an extremely good reason.

Many Ascended careers get unnatural traits at rank 9 (which is 1 rank above the final rank in the DH core rulebook and at 13,000 xp).  So except for that level of characters then it should probably be disallowed.

FYI, rank 14 (35,000 xp) Primaris Psykers get unnatural willpowerx2.  Also, Inquisitors get it at rank 9 (13,000 xp), but they usually go through at least a couple ranks of another career between the DH core rulebook and their rank 9.  So, if the characters they are playing are of that level, then it could be allowed, but you should look at the psychic powers to see the effects it will cause for that character.  A blurp from the ascension book:

In Ascension, it is possible for psykers to gain the
Unnatural Willpower Trait. The GM should be aware
of the impact of Unnatural Willpower on psychic
powers. Often, it is very high-rated Psykers who
possess Unnatural Willpower, meaning that characters
with this Trait will be considered both extremely
powerful and extremely dangerous by their peers.

So with that info in mind, you as a GM would need to decide if it works in the game you are running.

#10 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:18 AM

Suijin said:

Many Ascended careers get unnatural traits at rank 9 (which is 1 rank above the final rank in the DH core rulebook and at 13,000 xp).  So except for that level of characters then it should probably be disallowed.

Like I said, in most cases - there are a few ways they become available, but they're not particularly common (Ascension is the main exception, Xenos PCs in Rogue Trader is the other - all Orks have Unnatural Toughness and can buy Unnatural Strength, while all Kroot have Unnatural Strength and can buy Unnatural Perception).

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#11 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

Um... is the doubled perception bonus good for anything or do you "only" get the benefit for opposed tests (quite likely with perception) out of it?

#12 Hesporos

Hesporos

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

All i know is that if another marine went Chaos in my group they would be shot on sight once the others knew, if they knew. So be careful. 

#13 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

Cifer said:

Um... is the doubled perception bonus good for anything or do you "only" get the benefit for opposed tests (quite likely with perception) out of it?

To be fair, given the number of situations in which perception is used to oppose other tests (every commonly-available perception-based skill is used as part of an opposed test at least some of the time), I think that's a significant enough benefit as it is. I'm not sure of any effects that're tied to a perception bonus, but that's not actually a big deal, IMO. Different characteristic scores benefit differently from the Unnatural traits - Unnatural Toughness is rarely used except to multiply the bonus, while Unnatural Intelligence, Perception and Fellowship (and Unnatural Willpower for non-Psykers) primarily affect opposed tests.

It changes somewhat if you use the expanded rules for Unnatural Characteristics from the Inquisitor's Handbook (as skill tests get easier too).

#14 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:05 AM

To be fair, given the number of situations in which perception is used to oppose other tests (every commonly-available perception-based skill is used as part of an opposed test at least some of the time), I think that's a significant enough benefit as it is.

That's the reason for the "only".

Different characteristic scores benefit differently from the Unnatural traits - Unnatural Toughness is rarely used except to multiply the bonus, while Unnatural Intelligence, Perception and Fellowship (and Unnatural Willpower for non-Psykers) primarily affect opposed tests.

Well, intelligence has Medicae tests on lightly wounded patients - but I definitely disagree about Fellowship: the amount of people you can influence at once is dependent on the bonus. A Master Orator would greatly benefit from Unnatural Fellowship, though, funnily enough, I've never seen it in the system (apart from a theoretical dark pact).

#15 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:11 AM

But with Unnatural perception, things basically cannot hide from you, the likelihood of the party being ambushed is greatly decreased. I always considered what unnat agility is good for, as it does not affect speed (thats what unnat speed is for), so whats left? Initative? Being able to break out of grabs?

#16 Bilateralrope

Bilateralrope

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

KommissarK said:

But with Unnatural perception, things basically cannot hide from you, the likelihood of the party being ambushed is greatly decreased. I always considered what unnat agility is good for, as it does not affect speed (thats what unnat speed is for), so whats left? Initative? Being able to break out of grabs?

- Initiative

- Contortionist, Drive and Pilot have opposed test rules in the Inquisitors Handbook.

- Concealment and Silent move are going to be opposed tests most of the time.

- Shadowing and Sleight of Hand have RAW in RT saying that they are always opposed tests.

#17 Suijin

Suijin

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

Bilateralrope said:

KommissarK said:

- Initiative

- Contortionist, Drive and Pilot have opposed test rules in the Inquisitors Handbook.

- Concealment and Silent move are going to be opposed tests most of the time.

- Shadowing and Sleight of Hand have RAW in RT saying that they are always opposed tests.

I would think it also affects dodge and acrobatics, dodge being the huge one.  Although the acrobatics can be used to leave combat for either a half action or a free action with assassin's strike? talent.

#18 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

Nope, there is no way bar for Elite Advances that allow Librarians to get Unnatural Willpower. You really don't need it though, because Unnatural Willpower doesn't add tonnes to the new Psy system, it adds a lot more to Dark Heresy's Psy System.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#19 SpawnoChaos

SpawnoChaos

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

MILLANDSON said:

Nope, there is no way bar for Elite Advances that allow Librarians to get Unnatural Willpower. You really don't need it though, because Unnatural Willpower doesn't add tonnes to the new Psy system, it adds a lot more to Dark Heresy's Psy System.

I'm not even entirely sure how it would benefit a psyker now in the new system... any ideas?

#20 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

Well, according to the Unnatural Characteristic trait rules, you reduce the degree of difficulty of a Skill Test by one level per multiplier (so for UW (x2), you'd reduce it by one). Then, in Opposed Characteristic Tests, you add the multiplier as additional DoS (so Unnatural Willpower (x2) would add 2 DoS to his roll).

Those are both pretty useful, but no where near as useful as it is in Dark Heresy, where it reaches OP level pretty quickly.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS