Photo

Sifting through Shadows >> A preview of upcoming Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay titles

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:49 AM

botteu said:

To summarise: I'm not very interested in the hardback books but I'm interested in new rules/guides and new components. What's right for me?

You won't need to get the player's or GM's hardbacks or vaults.

#122 ozean

ozean

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

But you will most likely want to lay your hands on the Creature stuff. (I am not sure yet if it makes sense to get the vault without the guide though. It will certainly be nice to have both.)

#123 commoner

commoner

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

monkeylite said:

botteu said:

To summarise: I'm not very interested in the hardback books but I'm interested in new rules/guides and new components. What's right for me?

You won't need to get the player's or GM's hardbacks or vaults.

That's a bit off, judging by what I've seen so far.  If the player's guide example is anything like what we can expect to see from the new core books, then they will eventually be a must have if you want updated rules. 

A clarification that adds new information is a new rule, no matter how you shake it. 

Of course, the initiative mechanic could be only one of a kind, but "expanded" rules is attached to the GM Guide description section. 

I mean, we'll have to wait and see, but it seems to me this is as much of a new edition as the latest LO5R was to the old system.  I think FFG is trying to put a pig in a dress here...but who knows until we see the new product. 

As to your question as what to get next, I'd say winds of magic or Signs of Faith.  If you want components for component play, get those.  They are both fantastic supplements (I personally like Signs a little better than Winds, but I've always preferred gods over fireballs).  I just think overall and the priest supplement adds more flavor. 

Because, fact is, for component users, buying the boxes is better than buying the hardbacks + vaults.  So far, it is believed (and I believed stated) that the vaults only contain stuff found in the core (in terms of the player's vault).  The Gm vault has something...all I get from the adds is dice and stands and I do remember hearing corruption counters.  But if you eventually want all those magic cards, to make it worth your money without having to re-buy tons of additional information that you already have (such as corruption rules, corruption counters, etc.) that you just bought in the guides, you should just pick up Winds or Signs. 

And since you own a core box, if you buy the vaults and Hardbacks first, whenever you want to buy winds, you'll be popping off 50 bucks (USD) for roughly 90 action cards.  Or the GM guide, 30 bucks for a screen.  All that other information...you know from the books in each supplement and a chunk of the cards/counters you would have already gotten from the Vaults and the Guides.  The rest of the sets then become really expensive action cards or screens or specialized tracking counters (assuming they are not in the vaults), and maybe a handful of very short module.  Not worth buying.  

With that being said, the existing supplements are fantastic and every last one of them is worth the investment.  They give tons onto tons of varied, detailed information and mechanics that enhance the play experience.  They are absolutely some of the best RPG supplements I have ever seen.  So if you get them, you won't be disappointed.   

#124 Angelic Despot

Angelic Despot

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:33 AM

botteu said:

Basically all you'll be interested in is the Creature Vault and (probably) the Creature Guide.

The Players' and GMs' vaults and guides will only contain (edited) copies of what you'll either a) already have from the core set, or b) will be getting soon when you buy any of the expansions.   (If you like playing with the chits and cards, then you will be getting the expansions for anything you're interested in - magic, faith, etc)

#125 HedgeWizard

HedgeWizard

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:17 AM

Angelic Despot said:

botteu said:

Basically all you'll be interested in is the Creature Vault and (probably) the Creature Guide.

The Players' and GMs' vaults and guides will only contain (edited) copies of what you'll either a) already have from the core set, or b) will be getting soon when you buy any of the expansions.   (If you like playing with the chits and cards, then you will be getting the expansions for anything you're interested in - magic, faith, etc)

From what I've read (repeatedly), you'll want the Creatures Guide AND the Vault.  Think of the Guide as being the splat book that normally comes with the expansion product.  In this case, they separated it so that non-chit/component players can get the three guides to cover all the bases.

#126 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

I just got a question - I heared that the Guides & Vaults product will be avalaible in the end of november (in the next week) is that true?

And I heared a rumour that the Witches Song will be avaliable in January 2011, can anyone confirm those dates?

#127 Kharrak

Kharrak

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

Well, based on when all the guides and vaults went up on the Upcoming section, and looking at their estimates... the expected time of arrivial is between the 29th of this month, and the 23rd of December.

However, I do see many online shops listing them as a late January release - Maelstrom games listing them as 22 of Jan.

Several shops are listing The Witch's Song as an early February release.

#128 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:15 PM

Kharrak said:

Well, based on when all the guides and vaults went up on the Upcoming section, and looking at their estimates... the expected time of arrivial is between the 29th of this month, and the 23rd of December.

However, I do see many online shops listing them as a late January release - Maelstrom games listing them as 22 of Jan.

Several shops are listing The Witch's Song as an early February release.

I don't trust Amazon or Maelstrom, they always have a realy far release dates. The product is  far a long time avaliable in my FLGS and they don't have it.

Oh, and don't look at the Upcoming section. There's a little mess in there. One example - I'm a Invasion fan and I waiting for The Fourth Waystone. James Hata said that it will be avalibale in two weeks and the status of it was at the printer. So You see, those are just tips that show not alway the correct status of the game.

According to many shops in Europe the Guides & Vaults will be avaliable about the end of november, so I'm waiting.

I must say  that I would be very pleased when we would see some new news from Jay Little. He could say what is the status and maybe give us some more new sneak pick? Let's hope that we will not have to wait too long for some new WFRP Designers Dairy.

#129 Cwell2101

Cwell2101

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

ffgfan said:

I just got a question - I heared that the Guides & Vaults product will be avalaible in the end of november (in the next week) is that true?

And I heared a rumour that the Witches Song will be avaliable in January 2011, can anyone confirm those dates?

The 3 Guides & 3 Vaults products are listed as "on the boat" in the upcoming products page ...

#130 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:36 AM

Cwell2101 said:

The 3 Guides & 3 Vaults products are listed as "on the boat" in the upcoming products page ...

Those are on the boat from a month. And sometimes there was such sytuation when a game was only 2 weeks on the boat and then hit the stores (The Fourth Waystone is a good example here). So I just hope that the date 30th november is correct and all G&V products will hit the store that day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Oh, and by the way. I hope that in december we will see The Witch's Song - designers dairy. And we are going to have a sneak peak at what will be in that adventure.

#131 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:20 PM

I want all three guides, but don't know about the players and GM vault, since they have no new stuff. I'll get the creatures vault for sure of course.

The reason I want all the guides is to replace my soft cover books with hard back. But it's aways nice to know that I can buy one of the other vaults if a card is lost or something similar.

But I want the three guides to replace my current 7 books with 3.

I may get the other vaults though, just to have a second set of action cards that I can use for NPCs (since not all action cards will be present in the creatures vault). That will make it easy to create encounters. Just jot down the stats and what cards the npc has. Currently I am making all NPCs in strange eons. Four NPCs on an A4 page with room for six action cards. Looks nice but it takes time. Just being able to have the stats and what cards to add would be great.

#132 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:47 AM

Gallows said:

The reason I want all the guides is to replace my soft cover books with hard back. But it's aways nice to know that I can buy one of the other vaults if a card is lost or something similar.

I may get the other vaults though, just to have a second set of action cards that I can use for NPCs (since not all action cards will be present in the creatures vault). That will make it easy to create encounters. Just jot down the stats and what cards the npc has. Currently I am making all NPCs in strange eons. Four NPCs on an A4 page with room for six action cards. Looks nice but it takes time. Just being able to have the stats and what cards to add would be great.

Yes, that's a good reason but in those 3 book is not everything from the previous I think. I will see and compare when I will get those in my hands.

And You don't have to no more make Your  own creature cards - You will get all those in the Creatures Vault.

I hope that those news from Uk are true and we will see all the Guides & Vaults next week in Europe. It will be great when this happens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this great news next week.

#133 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

Games Lore has them listed as "New". Just ordered the Creature Guide.

Curse you FFG! Taking more of my monies!

#134 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

ffgfan said:

Gallows said:

Yes, that's a good reason but in those 3 book is not everything from the previous I think. I will see and compare when I will get those in my hands.

And You don't have to no more make Your  own creature cards - You will get all those in the Creatures Vault.

I hope that those news from Uk are true and we will see all the Guides & Vaults next week in Europe. It will be great when this happens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this great news next week.

Yeah I know I still have to make my scenario NPCs, but since they supply the monster ations, I am thinking about getting the players vault too, so I have all the cards I need for my monsters. Then I can just make my custom monsters on the small template and don't have to type in all the actions. That will save a lot of time for me.

But the actions tables in the players vault will be very nice when creating NPCs as well. Overall I think all three books can make life a little easier for me as a GM in the planning phase.

#135 Cwell2101

Cwell2101

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

Illustrious said:

Curse you FFG! Taking more of my monies!

Thanks for letting us know !

i just bought the 3 books and the Creature Vault! my little Xmass present to myself

#136 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:04 AM

Illustrious said:

So first was Esdevium Games and now Games Lore - now this can't be a mistake. So G&V are coming next week - WOOOOW! That's amazing!

#137 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:59 AM

So far, so good.  The post has been accurate.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS