[Lurker Question] Sledgehammer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

But does the Sledgehammer need to be equiped to gain the +1 Fight (outside of combat situations)?

#22 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Yes.

The point is the "additional ability" of an item. Tecnically, it should work even when unequipped; practically, in case of the sledgehammer, we houseruled you have to equip it to get the extra toughness reduction.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#23 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

It just seems a bit odd.

For instance say I draw a typical OW encounter that says, "Pass a Fight check to lever open the lid of a stone chest." Are you saying that just because I didn't use the Sledgehammer in a previous and completely unrelated Combat encounter I can't use it now to help me lever open a chest, even though I'm still assumed to be carrying it?! 

Maybe it's too much trouble to get it out of my backpack.  :blink:

#24 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

Lee 418,

Oh, no, that's not what Julia's saying at all...in the case of the OW card, you will ABSOULTELY gain the +1 Fight benefit to make the attempt in opening the lid.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 16 July 2014 - 05:07 AM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#25 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:35 AM

Lee 418,

Oh, no, that's not what Julia's saying at all...in the case of the OW card, you will ABSOULTELY gain the +1 Fight benefit to make the attempt in opening the lid.

Cheers,

Joe

Hmmm.....

In post 21 I said: "But does the Sledgehammer need to be equiped to gain the +1 Fight (outside of combat situations)?"

In post 22 Julia replied: "Yes"

I think there's been a misunderstanding somewhere. ^_^

I agree that you need to have the Sledgehammer equiped in Combat to gain combat bonuses and the toughness reduction special ability. But outside of Combat I think you gain the +1 Fight bonus just by virtue of possessing the Sledgehammer.

So if I draw an OW encounter that reads: "A crazed, half-dead explorer attacks you. Pass a Fight check to overcome him." I automatically receive +1 Fight from the Sledgehammer, regardless of whether or not I equiped it in a previous Combat situation.

Edited by Lee418, 16 July 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#26 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

Clearly you receive the bonus.

Honestly "equipped" it's outside Arkham jergon: no items are equipped even when used in the last combat. You use items, you devote hands to them, you exhaust items AND you have an equipment. But there is no definition of the word "equipped" in the rules that I'm aware of.

Sorry if my answer was misleading. I read your "equipped" as if you were intending "in play", it seemed to me the only logical reading. You have the item in play, you get the bonus to Fight checks.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#27 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

For in-theme, I think it fits perfectly on all counts:

It's a tool first and foremost, as we've all said. Using it to smash gates/doors/coffins/chests for Fight Checks.

The bonuses in Combat should only be applied while equipping it because of what it is; the reduction to toughness is because a Sledgehammer is all about breaking through heavy and thick layers of stone/wood etc because it applies pin-point pressur in terrific force to a single spot. Thus, the Toughness reduction only when equiped.

I've always seen the +3 to combat as I have any other weapon's; it's the combat rating of how effective the given weapon is in general. The +1 to Fight is there because it IS a sledgehammer, which is in fact a powerful tool. Even in Call of Cthulhu, the actual pen-and-paper, as far as Melee weapons go, the sledgehammer is one of the most economical yet powerful weapons an Investigator can have. It's cheap, readily available at any hardware store and it actually has a damage rating of:

1d8+2+db (character's own damage bonus).

So yes. I think that this is likely exactly what it is; a very powerful, if not one of THE most powerful weapons in Arkham Horror because of it's utility and strength. The fact that cost is $6 may seem cheap but again, there is the luck factor of GETTING the sledgehammer in a shop on top of everything else and it is taking into account the theme of it.

Point is, I think the card was designed to be played as is; bonus upon bonus because that is how it's played in other games of the same setting (that is, Lovecraft).

#28 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

The fact that cost is $6 may seem cheap but again, there is the luck factor of GETTING the sledgehammer in a shop on top of everything else and it is taking into account the theme of it.

That is not an adequate explanation, however. What that's saying is, "it's okay to price something poorly because it's rare." Well then, why isn't Healing Stone $3? The point of the pricing is to match the item's worth, and while the designers made some mistakes in the past (Press Pass, Old Journal, Elder Sign), the pricing is not arbitrary.

So, to reiterate, because the thing is $6, I believe that is adequate evidence that the Fight bonus is not applied to combat.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS