New Dark Heresy Designer Diary: The New Knowledge... New Power

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

Actually, I like what they are doing and I'm glad they are doing in the order that they are. I think priests need that love most.

Where as Techpriests and Psykers need little additional attention really and of course any additional material helps a well connected or knowledgeable Adept.

Of course by the time everybody else has their new stuff they'll be wanting some too.

#42 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

csabesz said:

MILLANDSON said:

Kasatka said:

It will be interesting to see how many pages each book totals, and what the RRP will be for these.

The page count is comparable to the other supplements released by FFG. As for RRP, those are shown on the Knowledge is Power PDF, generally between $29-39, though I'm sure places like Amazon will be selling them for cheaper than that.

So the page count will be between 120-144 for the career and Ordo books, since these will sell for $40 (the 256-page books, like the Radical's Handbook and Ascension all trade for $50). I won't mind that page count if the books will be heavy on fluff and low on statistics and the like.

I figure the adventure books will follow the pattern of the Haarlock trilogy (60-70 pages for each).

Anyway, I'm really excited for these releases.  

I'm actually quite the opposite on this point - i can get fluff for the 40k setting from many sources, but i can only get official rules and mechanics from FFG, so i want at least an even ratio if not more heavy on rules than fluff. Disciples Of The Dark Gods was very fluff heavy but detailed specific cluts in the Calixis sector so it was ok, so as long as the books contain Calixis specific, ie unique, information about their specific careers and fields of interest then i'll be a happy bunny.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#43 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:24 AM

Snidesworth said:

H.B.M.C. said:

D'ya wonder if we'll get an answer to the question "Will the DH vehicle rules be the same as the RT vehicle rules"?

'Cause right now I don't know what's worse - waiting a year and a half to find out that they're the same, or waiting a year and a half to find out that they're completely different.

I don't see how two different sets of vehicle rules could be developed for games that use the same mechanics unless the DH devs and the RT devs are forbidden from speaking with each other.

They did it with Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy on the psy powers.

I assume however, that the vehicle rules for both (if not all three games) will be more an amalgam of the Vehicles Apocrypha from 2008 and the starship rules in Rogue Trader. A more trimmed and simple test system.

#44 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:27 AM

From reading the descriptions and the fluff it seems highly likely that we are getting....

Commissars and Ogryns! YAY ME!

Tanks.

Grey Knights (NPCs I am assuming, maybe some how to use as PCs with Death Watch side bars)

And so much more.

Course I am jonsing the most for the last release. The same as I was for Ascension when it was announced. Lets home my disappointment is lower this time.

#45 Snidesworth

Snidesworth

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:16 AM

Peacekeeper_b said:

That was a case of FFG coming up with something different from what Black Industries made. They didn't like it (for whatever reason) and made something different. It's not quite the same as developing two entirely different sets of vehicle rules simultaneously. It's possible that the rules might differ because of the different focus and scale of the games but I highly doubt that.

#46 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:04 AM

Snidesworth said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

That was a case of FFG coming up with something different from what Black Industries made. They didn't like it (for whatever reason) and made something different. It's not quite the same as developing two entirely different sets of vehicle rules simultaneously. It's possible that the rules might differ because of the different focus and scale of the games but I highly doubt that.

I think it was more of a better way to do Astropathic powers. Ive rarely seen (er read) in any of the novels of fluff a astropath getting any sort of perils of the warp.

#47 Valadrim

Valadrim

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

Peacekeeper_b said:

Snidesworth said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

I think it was more of a better way to do Astropathic powers. Ive rarely seen (er read) in any of the novels of fluff a astropath getting any sort of perils of the warp.

I have also never seen one struggle to send a message outside of their current solar system, but FFG delivers on that note too.

#48 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

Valadrim said:

I have also never seen one struggle to send a message outside of their current solar system, but FFG delivers on that note too.

Many of the better depictions of Astropaths I've seen show them operating in groups - choirs - to send messages anyway. The novel Blind (currently available as part of the Enforcer omnibus) shows this approach in considerable detail, with most astropaths incapable of doing much more than provide power for the one leading the choir.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#49 Kyorou

Kyorou

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

Valadrim said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

Well, I've yet to see an cop movie where the thief character fails to open a lock or a cyberpunk novel where the hacker fails to hack into the baddies' system. In movies and books, characters don't fail in things they're supposed to be good at (because it would imply they actually suck) and when they do it is because the story asks for it (à la Han Solo failing to move silently). In RPG's they do or at least there is a constant possibility for them to fail, no matter how good they are. It's were the 'G' part springs into action... 

#50 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

Kyorou said:

In RPG's they do or at least there is a constant possibility for them to fail, no matter how good they are. It's were the 'G' part springs into action... 

Actually, the 40kRP system only actually requires tests on tasks where failure is costly or significant to the narrative - in most cases, the GM is encouraged to simply let the character pass. A good example of this is the Literacy skill - characters who can test against the skill will pass without event 99% of the time, but occasionally a difficult-to-decipher text will come along and require a test. Same with language skills, or the Awareness skill - in this case, you really only test when trying to spot something not immediately obvious, as the rest of the time, you can see, hear, smell, taste and feel things without difficulty.

And even in situations where you've failed, often the only consequence is simply not succeeding, wasting the time spent attempting the test, but not precluding any further attempts (time permitting) or causing any other adverse affects.

Bearing these notions in mind - and they apply quite broadly to RPGs in general - can often alleviate feelings of character incompetence. Failing a test to pick a lock might not mean that the lock can't be picked, merely that it can't be done in the space of time represented by a single attempt... it might take two or three distinct attempts in game terms, while in narrative terms, it's simply taken longer than expected.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#51 Bilateralrope

Bilateralrope

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

And even in situations where you've failed, often the only consequence is simply not succeeding, wasting the time spent attempting the test, but not precluding any further attempts (time permitting) or causing any other adverse affects.

Bearing these notions in mind - and they apply quite broadly to RPGs in general - can often alleviate feelings of character incompetence. Failing a test to pick a lock might not mean that the lock can't be picked, merely that it can't be done in the space of time represented by a single attempt... it might take two or three distinct attempts in game terms, while in narrative terms, it's simply taken longer than expected.

This is one thing I see plenty of gms handle perfectly fine during combat, but once combat is over they forget about it.

#52 Kyorou

Kyorou

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Actually, the 40kRP system only actually requires tests on tasks where failure is costly or significant to the narrative - in most cases, the GM is encouraged to simply let the character pass.

I wasn't implying otherwise. Maybe I should have add "when appropriate" to my initial sentence. Asking the players to test Ag for their character to pick up a glass of wine on the table would be ludicrous, of course (even if I fail routinely at similarly easy agility challenges...).

#53 Snidesworth

Snidesworth

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:27 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Kyorou said:

I figure that only a significant failure (3 or 5+ DoF) should mean that something can't be tried again. A lesser failure just means that the characters needs to try again or keep working on it and can take another roll. Of course then time becomes an issue, as you said.

#54 csabesz

csabesz

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:23 AM

Just a quick update for all of us who can't wait to hear more on the new Dark Heresy releases: our good old friend, Amazon.com has November 30 as the release date for "Blood of Martyrs". As we speculated earlier it will be a 144-page book of pure(itan) awesomeness.

#55 andrewm9

andrewm9

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

csabesz said:

Just a quick update for all of us who can't wait to hear more on the new Dark Heresy releases: our good old friend, Amazon.com has November 30 as the release date for "Blood of Martyrs". As we speculated earlier it will be a 144-page book of pure(itan) awesomeness.

So that means Amazon will be getting it to us on Dec 15th or so given the normal state of things. It susually worth the wait for the price break we get.

#56 Moonshine Fox

Moonshine Fox

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

For those who where wondering about psykers getting some love, the Daemon Hunter book sounds to me like it will hold a fair bit for our warp fueled acolytes.

#57 Dulahan

Dulahan

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:58 AM

I just really, really hope that the Daemon Hunters books will have Deathwatch Compatible rules for Grey Knights instead of just Dark Heresy square peg round hole sorts of stats.  Starting Template(s?) and all.  In essence almost a dual stat.

Sure they're completely different sorts of beasts, but the Space Marine rules are already there in Deathwatch, just add the Grey Knight specifics.

#58 redhead222

redhead222

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

hey say they will have grey knight rule how they work i havn`t a clue yet

personaly would like too see how that would work. not sure i would ever what too play a grey knight game. then too be fair i`m having a hard time play 'norma' DW so uping DW too GK will make the over killing we are doing now seem like small scale i think! personaly more intresting in the lower class alternet classes

#59 redhead222

redhead222

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

been reading deamon hunter for a bit now. intresting consepts and clue`s for future games

not sure how much if any of it i could get too use but the alternet ranks look intresting and the background / lore is worth the read

havn`t had the time too read but in passing the grey knight bit didn`t look that inpressive. but then the SM thing isnt realy my thing but my players seem too like it for now

now its waiting for the BOJ thats bound too have some intresting hooks too i bet

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS