War of the Ring is a great game but you have to consider several things if it meets your expectations and if you have the proper people to play with:
1) It's a war game: no trade, no real building/exlporation. The tactical options are more like which troops to move when, which cities/regions to attack, stealth approach or not (for the fellowship), do I hold back the attack in order to raise more troops etc
2) Its a two player game: the optional rules for 3 players don't really work. WotR is a solid two-players experience
3) It takes time: Especially if you don't play it regularly, the set-up takes time and you will spend time browsing the rules during the game. 6 hours is normal but that time can be reduced significantly when both players know the game very well.
4) It has a strong LotR-Theme (well thats obvious): people knowing all the Middel Earth books etc will love every event card and all the Tolkien lore found throughout the game. Players who lack the lore background and just want "to conquer" won't take that much delight from all the details.
5) I decided against the add-on because I play it not more than 1-2 per year and compexity and play time as it is in the basic game is sufficient for me.
6) in a nutshell: this game is overwhelmingly good but its a game for gaming geeks, not casual players.