Deadland: Doomtown LCG PLEASE

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:45 AM

I loved Doomtown (still have all of my cards!).  It was a very unique CCG in terms of setting (no generic sci-fi/fantasy here!) and mechanics (playing poker to resolve shootouts).  I think that with the myriad of factions and playstyles, it could be a good fit for a LCG, especially since Doomtown was friendly for 3+ players. 

I think that rebooting the story would work the best.  It would give FFG a chance to clean up the rules (movement and jobs were clunky) and revamp dudes and locations to fit the new rules.  A core set with Law Dogs, Blackjacks, Collegium, and Sweetrock would be interesting.  Add in the spell using factions after the first expansion block. 

I would buy it!

#22 Fotonurth

Fotonurth

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

I'd play this. Kennon and I were joking about it the other day. And I was totally telling my girlfriend about the game a couple days ago. I miss that ccg. 

#23 Zoso

Zoso

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

I am also a fan of the Doomtown CCG. I would love to see it done in the LCG format with the FFG touch.

#24 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

I'd be all over that game.

#25 Papa Khann

Papa Khann

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

IMHO, the most innovative card game, ever. A LOT of fun to play.

Papa

• Hank McCoy likes this

#26 Asmoridin

Asmoridin

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Gotta say, I'd definitely be all over this game as well.

• Hank McCoy likes this

#27 17th Knight

17th Knight

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm hugely in favor of it. I still own a large collection of the original game (I was pretty unstoppable in tournaments with my Texas Rangers shootout deck) but I'd be ecstatic to have the plot furthered, new characters introduced, and maybe even refined game mechanics.

Go for it, FFG, as a fan of the series since the first day of the original release, I'd be stoked to buy Doomtown as an LCG.

#28 thewally42

thewally42

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

I just want to add my support for this game being re-released in the LCG format. I have thought it would work really well for a while, and with the announcement of Netrunner returning my hopes have been greatly increased. It would be really wonderful, and I think the theme would appeal to a large group especially with steampunk being more popular these days.

#29 reebo

reebo

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

I would be extremely excited about a reimplementation of doomtown. It was easily my favorite game from mid 90's, narrowly beating out netrunner, and in my opinion, blowing magic the gathering and pokemon out of the water. The poker-based combat, call-out dude movement, and other mechanics made the Weird West flavor so immersive. An awesomely enjoyable game, to be harrowed back as a living card game, would make it all the more flavorful and convenient.

#30 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

How about the gameplay? Does it adequately reflect the setting, to make you feel like you're acting out a Western adventure?

#31 Crag78

Crag78

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Sounds great!! I hope to see any Deadlands or weird western/steampunk horror products from FFG in the future.

#32 Fotonurth

Fotonurth

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Necro-Post.

Just a thought. They revived Netrunner quiet beautifully. I could totally see them introducing some of the themes like identity and balance. Also people having access to the jokers instead of having to pull them would be nice. There's also been a cult revival on this game, like there was on netrunner a few years back. I just wish I knew where my stuff was. I tried to snag some at GenCon, boxes were the full 90, and starter decks were hard to find.

#33 skwizzle

skwizzle

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

I've been really wanting to play this for a long time, but it's very hard to get ahold of cards at affordable prices. I hope that if Android: Netrunner's popularity continues, FFG looks into obtaining and adapting other dead CCGs to the LCG format. Deadlands: Doomtown is another cult classic, like Netrunner, so it would be great to see it come back to life as an LCG.

#34 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

I had a starter of this one, don't know where it's gotten to over the years, but never really played it.

To be honest, I'm not really interested in a western theme either, but if the game's good enough I'd give it a chance.  Still, no matter how good it was I doubt I'd fall in love with it as much as if it was themed after almost anything else.  Alien races, rival mob families, kung fu monks, whatever…

I *AM* on the lookout for another good LCG though.  I'm currently playing Call of Cthulhu and Netrunner, and their other games don't appeal to me all that much for various reasons.  A game that played well for 2p as well as multiplayer would be ideal.

Personally though, I think AEG is unlikely to license out any of their games to FFG, they'd be more likely to want to take a crack at it in-house.  I mean, they still have L5R which means they've got card game guys on staff, in a sense FFG is their competitor.

#35 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

dboeren said:

I *AM* on the lookout for another good LCG though.  I'm currently playing Call of Cthulhu and Netrunner, and their other games don't appeal to me all that much for various reasons.  A game that played well for 2p as well as multiplayer would be ideal.

A Game of Thrones plays great at 2 player and multi player.

#36 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Toqtamish said:

A Game of Thrones plays great at 2 player and multi player.

Oh, I agree.  I'm just not that much into the setting and I don't really feel a connection to any of the factions.  In a game that doesn't really allow you to mix factions much, that's a significant drawback to me.

It's really kind of an unusual situation for me to find myself in.  I've played a lot of miniatures games over the years which are all faction based and I normally like at least half of them and have to work on narrowing down which ones are my favorites to decide who to play.  But, these are all already pre-filtered for liking the setting.  If the game is based on a theme I don't care for (like old west) then I probably just skip the whole game and the question of factions never comes up.

#37 Madfoxinator

Madfoxinator

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

I had a starter of this one, don't know where it's gotten to over the years, but never really played it.

To be honest, I'm not really interested in a western theme either, but if the game's good enough I'd give it a chance.  Still, no matter how good it was I doubt I'd fall in love with it as much as if it was themed after almost anything else.  Alien races, rival mob families, kung fu monks, whatever…

Personally though, I think AEG is unlikely to license out any of their games to FFG, they'd be more likely to want to take a crack at it in-house.  I mean, they still have L5R which means they've got card game guys on staff, in a sense FFG is their competitor.

I wasn't that interested in the theme until I saw a card which was for the son of satan. It was named lucifer whateley and showed a baby with what looked like blood stains around it. Then I realized, I could have cthulhu (wakeley's), demons (the fallen, lost angels), spirit warriors (Sioux Union), and steampunk (collegium). There is also a possible inquisition like deck(agency) and pirate deck(maze rat) but I am not sure how applicable it is since I have only read the rules and seen a few cards. The 7th Sea looks to have amazing mechanics but for some reason sailing a ship doesn't seem like something I'd dig and I would agree that a western doesn't seem that much fun either but if it offers a mixture of genres in a western setting, I think it could be great.

#38 Hank McCoy

Hank McCoy

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

I have almost all the Doomtown cards, working on getting the last few singles, and it is a very fun game (especially multiplayer).

I love the western theme, and the weird west adds lots of interesting quirks. The main 10 factions each had different themes and styles which I feel would play very well in a LCG format.

Blackjacks - The Outlaws, always doing things that make them wanted (stealing ghost rock - the currency), burning down buildings, kidnapping, etc.

Law Dogs - The Law Men, gain victory points by Jailing and Acing (killing) Wanted dudes.

Collegium - The Mad Scientists, creating gadgets like Mechanical Horses, and Flamethrowers.

Sweetrock - The Mining Company, all about controlling the Strikes (mines) and building their accounts.

Whateleys - The Hucksters, able to cast Hexes.

Sioux Union - The Spirit Warriors, able to cast Spirits.

Maze Rats - The Pirates, who later in the game started to focus on Kung Fu

Texas Rangers - The Confederates Monster Hunters, with a couple monsters of their own.

Agency - The Unions Monster Hunters, with lots of undercover agents working among the other factions.

Flock - The Blessed, able to cast Miracles, led by Elijah and the 7 Sins.

These groups changed through the story, with some characters switching sides, and some factions being wiped out. (Flock killed off in Revelations) And new factions joining (Lost Angels appearing in Eye for an Eye).

The gameplay felt very western, as the TV and movies show it. One dude calls out another due (at a Deed or in the Town Square), friends close by can join either side and then the shootout commences.

Gunfights were hands of Poker, draw 5 cards (more if you had Stud Bullet Rated Dudes in the fight), and swap out cards if you had and Draw Bullet Rated Dudes in fight to make the best 5 card hand. Better rank of hand wins the fight and the number of ranks better is how many dudes the losing side gets.

I would love an LCG based on Doomtown, and would greedily purchase everything FFG made for it.

#39 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Bought some new Doomtown starters, I'm now roughly where I was.  I've read the rules and believe that I can make legal moves, but I don't yet grasp what I'm supposed to be doing.  Imagine it like playing chess where you know how the pieces move but don't know why you're moving them here instead of there.

Also, 10 factions would be a bit too much for an LCG I think, that would need to be trimmed down.  About 6-7 seems ideal.

#40 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

The good thing about the LCG model is that you include a large chunk of the factions and a wide card pool in the Core Set. Something like a Doomtown LCG would probably benefit from 1 or 2 Big Box expansions released beside the base game and sticking to that release schedule from the get go. That way you instantly give players a huge pool of cards to use and make the other factions optional buys from the get go and you don't have to worry about Small expansions not selling. Then the game also feels more like a board game perhaps, then of course offer drafting options from the start as well.

Really if FFG were to release ANY new LCGs in the near future, they would be excellent! Imagine Core Set/draft packs maybe a big box expansion released at launch. That way you satisfy people who want to expand their games early without buying a second core set (at first) and introduce new players through encouraging stores to do a draft event or 2 to promote the game. It would also keep players very busy before any new big box expansions/small box cycles are released.

• Hank McCoy likes this

Play tester for Age of Rebellion Stay on Target

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS