• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

Stuntie said:

Also Trollfeller has a 2 recharge so can't be used every round like double strike.

Yes you can. There are two ways.

1) Use a fast weapon. A single boon can be used to reduce the recharge by one (to one).

2) Using the optional rule from the GM Toolkit to use a manoeuvre to prepare . This reduces the recharge by one (to one).

#42 ozean

ozean

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

Stuntie said:

Also Trollfeller has a 2 recharge so can't be used every round like double strike.

Also, there has been an errata card / a correction for the Double Strike action: it now also has a 2 recharge.

#43 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

ValiantOne said:

ffgfan said:

Ok, so "The Winds Of Magic" are closer with every day and if all things are going to go right in the next week their are going to be avaliable.

So my question is - is this card errata in the box? Will we get those cards with "The Winds Of Magic:"?

If you are asking about getting errata cards in the Winds of Magic set, the answer is no....

Ok, so when will we get them? This is a good question to Jay.

#44 Silverwave

Silverwave

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

Is it just me or the modifications for Double Strike could have been worded more simply without difference where it says : "Determine normal damage and apply the target’s Toughness and Soak separately for each weapon."

What's the point of having Soak and Tou applied separatly?

Example :

I have a two weapons, one has DR 5 and the other DR 4. I have Str of 4. I attack an ennemy with Soak 3 and Tou 4.

- The way the card is worded : I do 5+4 (9) and 4+4 (8) with both weapon respectively. Now, I apply soak and Tou separatly. My 8 damage against Tou 4 does 4 damage. My 9 damage against Soak 3 does 6. Total : 10 damage.

- More simply : I do 5+4 with primary weapon and 4+4 with second for a total of 17 damage. The ennemy has Soak 3 an Tou 4, so soak a total of 7 damage.
17 - 7 = 10. Same fringgin' thing.

Am I not getting something here?

EDIT : I do know the only way it could make a difference is when opposing soak/tou who are higher than your damage since you do minimum 1 damage. So instead of doing 17 -17 soak = 1 minimum damage, you do : 9-9=1 + 8-8=1, minimum 2 damage. Still, i could have been worded : you do minimum 2 damage if the ennemy soaks all your damage. or smething like it.

#45 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:09 AM

Applying Toughness and Soak separately means you apply (Toughness + Soak) to the first weapon (DR + St) and then apply (Toughness + Soak) to the second weapon (DR + St). I guess it's worded like that to make a clear distinction from the old card where the first and second weapons were added together before subtracting a single (Toughness + Soak).

#46 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

Silverwave said:

Example :

I have a two weapons, one has DR 5 and the other DR 4. I have Str of 4. I attack an ennemy with Soak 3 and Tou 4.

- The way the card is worded : I do 5+4 (9) and 4+4 (8) with both weapon respectively. Now, I apply soak and Tou separatly. My 8 damage against Tou 4 does 4 damage. My 9 damage against Soak 3 does 6. Total : 10 damage.

- More simply : I do 5+4 with primary weapon and 4+4 with second for a total of 17 damage. The ennemy has Soak 3 an Tou 4, so soak a total of 7 damage.
17 - 7 = 10. Same fringgin' thing.

First Weapon Damage Potential: 4 +5 = 9

Second Weapon Damage Potential: 4 + 4 = 8

Damage Reduction: 3 + 4 = 7

First Weapon Damage: 9 - 7 = 2

Second Weapon Damage: 8 - 7 = 1

Total Wounds Caused: 3

#47 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:51 AM

As monkey and fresnel said ...  more specific example

Old way (together):

Weapon 1: 5+4 = 9

Weapon 2: 4+4 = 8

Total 17 Wounds

To + Soak = 7

17 - 7 = 10 Wounds.

10 Wounds Total

New Way (separate):

Weapon 1: 5+4 = 9.

To + Soak = 7

9 - 7 = 2 wounds from weapon 1

To + soak = 7

8 - 7 = 1 wound from weapon 1

2+1 = 3 Wounds Total

#48 Silverwave

Silverwave

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:07 AM

All right, makes more sense. Thanks!

Still, the wording is ambiguous!

#49 youper

youper

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

Fresnel said:

The 'Slayer' trait marked on the card is not a restriction. Non-slayers can use this card. Most humans/orcs are more than a 'few inches' taller than dwarfs... The meaning of outnumbered is also clear. (Number of opponents in engagement) > (Number of allies + you in engagement).

Placing a host of house rules on the card is your choice. However, the point is that, using a 'Fast' weapon, 'Trollfeller Strike' is as powerful (if not more so) than the original 'Double Strike' in RAW.

Doesn't fast only help if you miss? This seems unlikely for someone using Trollfeller Strike, since only one person can have this card using RAW. Most groups would give it to someone that isn't going to miss very often. Of course perhaps you are playing with a house rule that allows fast to work for all attacks.

#50 Armoks

Armoks

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:59 AM

youper said:

Doesn't fast only help if you miss? This seems unlikely for someone using Trollfeller Strike, since only one person can have this card using RAW. Most groups would give it to someone that isn't going to miss very often. Of course perhaps you are playing with a house rule that allows fast to work for all attacks.

No. From the FAQ:

"The Fast item quality printed in the rulebook is incorrect. No recharge tokens are acquired if the action misses. The following is the correct description:

These weapons are generally easy to wield and agile. Attacks made with weapons with the fast quality gain: 
<boon> Place one fewer recharge token on this action"

#51 youper

youper

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:53 AM

Armoks said:

youper said:

No. From the FAQ:

"The Fast item quality printed in the rulebook is incorrect. No recharge tokens are acquired if the action misses. The following is the correct description:

These weapons are generally easy to wield and agile. Attacks made with weapons with the fast quality gain: 
<boon> Place one fewer recharge token on this action"

Thanks I missed that!

#52 Vaeron

Vaeron

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:32 AM

dvang said:

As monkey and fresnel said ...  more specific example

Old way (together):

Weapon 1: 5+4 = 9

Total 17 Wounds

To + Soak = 7

17 - 7 = 10 Wounds.

10 Wounds Total

New Way (separate):

Weapon 1: 5+4 = 9.

To + Soak = 7

9 - 7 = 2 wounds from weapon 1

To + soak = 7

8 - 7 = 1 wound from weapon 1

2+1 = 3 Wounds Total

You're transposing the math from the new formula onto the old formula.  The card actually said "Add the damage value from both weapons to your strength to determine your damage potential."  In your math you actually apply the strength value twice.

As I read the card, the old way was (Strength + Weapon 1 + Weapon 2) not (Strength + Weapon 1 + Strength + Weapon 2).  The Old Way did less initial damage, but had less taken off... The new way does more damage initially, but subtracts the toughness and soak for each hit.

Which, using your same numbers (5+4+4+4) would instead actually have been (5+4+4)=13

To + Soak = 7

Old Way: 13 - 7 = 6 wounds

New Way: 17 -14 = 3 wounds

The above numbers would result in a fight versus a Gor (To+Soak =7).  Lets look at what happens in a fight with a Skeleton (To+Soak = 4) using the same damage numbers.

Old way: 13 - 4 = 9 wounds

New Way: 17 - 8 = 9 wounds

Now let's see what happens versus a Wargor (To+Soak = 9)

Old Way: 13 - 9 = 4 wounds

New Way: 17 - 18 = -1 wound, but thx to minimum damage does 2 wounds

Using your original damage numbers, the new double-strike does the same damage versus weak foes (Skeleton),  less damage versus tougher foes (Gor), and literally minimum damage against foes with high toughness+soak (Wargor).  The way it scales is really wanky.  I think if any change was made, it should have been in that recharge, making it at least a recharge 3, since its current recharge 2 refreshes every other round.

#53 skolo

skolo

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

Hi FFG, are you going to update your ERRATA and correct all of your mistakes made in recent releases?

#54 Matchstickman

Matchstickman

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

So I figure someone should post an update in this thread, why not me? :) The errata was updated on the 8th of September 2011 according to the new file.

I'm certain I have looked there since I joined the boards and have only just noticed a new one today... did anyone else notice the new errata before today?

(The Living Index & Component List is also updated to the same date)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS