Space Marine equipment in Deathwatch

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

I didn't say that it was a "standard loadout," just that I could envisage Marines using many more weapon load-outs than in the rather limited wargame rules.  Noting, however, that I did question the facility of the laspistol.   (Admittedly, las-weaponry seems perfectly fine for the advanced Eldar, but there we go...)

As to multilasers?  I just remember them back on anti-grav defence platforms back in the Eldar WD127 days.  I just allow for the potential that they could have been included with Marines because they're "Mareenz" and are "awesome."  The fact that this is not backed up in the wargame is another matter entirely.  The fact that I could believe it probably says much about the overall standard of the novels than in the craziness of one particular author.

As to Goto?  If you were to shoot every BL author that made mistakes with the materials, then you would probably need to rehire a lot of authors.  What is artistic license to one reader is a mistake to another, a minor mistake to others, a hack job to others yet.  Perspective and all that.

(For full disclosure, I didn't particularly enjoy the Goto novels nor do I think that he did the Eldar any justice.  Then again, I think that about a lot of the BL novels so take that how you will.)

Kage

#22 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

Kage2020 said:

(Admittedly, las-weaponry seems perfectly fine for the advanced Eldar, but there we go...)

I think it's more about the approach to the technology as anything else - the Imperium commonly treats personal (non-heavy) las-weaponry as being something that can be cheaply produced in vast quantities and is logistically efficient (being cheap to resupply, easy to maintain, naturally reliable and sufficiently effective)...

I don't see the Eldar taking the same viewpoint, and broadly speaking (in terms of background, at least), Eldar las-weapons are better than those of the Imperium.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#23 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

I don't see the Eldar taking the same viewpoint, and broadly speaking (in terms of background, at least), Eldar las-weapons are better than those of the Imperium.

I would need to see some proof of that.

Kage

#24 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

Kage2020 said:

I would need to see some proof of that.

Kage

Codex Eldar (2006), page 22:

"Eldar laser weapons use psychically grown crystals to filter and refine laser bursts to their optimum potency. Many Eldar consider the laser weapon to be the most elegant of all, exulting in the fact that their technological mastery extends even to light itself."

Codex Eldar (2006), page 35:

"The ritual weapons of [Swooping Hawks is] the lasblaster - a far more efficient energy weapon than the clumsy lasgun of the Imperium"

Those are the two quotes I've been able to find at short notice, but they prove my point: the Imperium views laser weaponry as being something cheap and easy to manufacture... the Eldar regard it with more care and reverence, and the examples of such weapons that the Eldar utilise are broadly superior to those of the Imperium.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#25 Sandepande

Sandepande

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:14 AM

The only reason to have a laspistol, if you have the resources that Marines have, is to blend in with some less-fortunate crowd. Bolt pistols are expensive, and their ammunition is ridiculously expensive (some of our DH characters are starting to get bolt weapon skills, but nobody wants 'em, cos they don't want to pay for the ammo). That stuff stands out. In combat the flashlights are nearly useless.

As to Marines' equipment, I don't see how they wouldn't have access to about everything the Chapters can provide, and then some, with the usual restrictions from some things just being too rare (obviously, Xeno tech is right out). If you have this sort of a spec-ops thing going, you don't send them out there with just faith as their shield...

#26 Toldavf

Toldavf

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:46 AM

I can really see any need for a marine to use the inferior las weapons unless they have been fighting so long they are out of ammo and scavengeing weapons also marines dont even blend in with crowds they are over 7 feet tall and built like a brick privy and easily noticed. 

As for the gear you can have acsess to only the finest will do for range you have your pick of the godwyn pattern boltgun with a variaty of rounds includeing kraken giveing a longer range and AP, inferno setting the target on fire, hellfire containing mutagenic acid crystals, metal storm proximity amunition, stalker silenced shells, and the armour pierceing vengence rounds ( also possibley even better than a standard RT bolter due to its size), bolt pistol, meltagun, plasmagun, heavy bolter(with surspensors and hellfire rounds), plasma cannon, lascannon, multimelta, flamers, storm bolter and rocket launcher which may contain several different types of missile.

as for CCWs you have you standard list of chain and power weapons from RT as well as a few new ones like the thunder hammer and stom shield but you also have the chapter specific wepons like the frost blades and wolf claws of the space wolves and if a chaplain where to join the squad you could expect a crozius of and if he was a dark angle he may carry the blades of reason.

Grenades should be fairly standard and just lifted from RT

Armour is a really cool subject you may see the astartes scout armour? You will definately see powered armour and there is already artwork for  terminator armour aswell so id expect that too. You may also see artificer armour which in addition to the strength bonuses and auto senses of the "standard" marine power armour will be stronger and may contain built in weapon systems like digital lasers or needlers.

peronal field generators may get a look in refractor fields, conversion fields, displacer fields and the more powerfull versions used by the chapters greatest champions may all be made available to a marine that proves himself.

relics of the chapter why not?

Xenos tech? the inquisition can do almost anything they please to keep the imperium safe and if the sanction a brother to use alien weapons or equipment then the marine can. 

#27 Sandepande

Sandepande

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:05 AM

Toldavf said:

Xenos tech? the inquisition can do almost anything they please to keep the imperium safe and if the sanction a brother to use alien weapons or equipment then the marine can. 

This is, of course, a matter everyone may handle as they please. To me the Deathwatch is a notch or three more zealous and dogmatic - perhaps even holy - organisation than the Inquisition, which means that anything heretical is less appropriate. This doesn't mean that there wouldn't be anyone using Xenos weapons, only that there could be repercussions for doing that sort of thing.

#28 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:18 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Codex Eldar (2006), page 22: [snip]

And there it is.  Thanks.  The problems of not being involved in the wargame side of things...

Kage

#29 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

You know, as I recall, back in the original Rogue Trader days Marines had the option to arm themselves with laspistols or lasguns.  Imperial Guard could have jump infantry.  Jetbikes were available to the forces of the Imperium en masse.  There's been a lot of things that have changed.  However, I agree that Goto seems to lack any interest in researching materials for his novels.  After all, in Dawn of War and its expansions, the Eldar are stated as being Ulthwe, but he makes them Beil-tane in his books...  And I think I misspelled something there, but I think expressed my point there.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

#30 Meph

Meph

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:26 PM

Zamnil Blackaxe said:

blackwell said:

Warrior Brood

NEVER mention the writing of that hack C.S Goto.

NEVER.

Hear hear! I once started that guy's Eldar novel and put it down after half a chapter due to a splitting headache and bowel convulsions. That guys does not even reach the toes of the likes of Graham Mcneil and Dan Abnett.

As for the equipment. I think it's indeed a safe bet that the standard marine arsenal will be available and most likely some more 'RPG'ish' equipment native to the Calixis Sector and/or Koronus expanse. I also assume they're going to delve deeper a bit into the 'daily use' items of Marines, like auspex, armour maintenance kits (the infamous lapping powders from many a novel) etc etc

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS