games similar to talisman

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 darthmax

darthmax

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

im interested in getting another game.  i have my eyes on " arkham horror" boardgame and "descent."boardgame.    has anyone had any experience with these two, or have another they would recommend? 

#2 Hatter

Hatter

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:32 AM

Arkham Horror is a great co-operative game in which the players are trying to close the gates before Cthulhu eats the world. It is a lot of fun. Descent is a D&D-ish game where one player plays the Dungeon Master and the rest of the players play the party going into the dungeon. Between the two, I would recommend Arkham Horror. If you are an expansion set kind of guy (which I suspect since you are here on the Fantasy Flight Forums), Arkham Horror has six expansions available with the seventh being released next month. : ) :) :)

Oh, and buy lots and lots of the little sleeves for the game, there are a lot of little cards (the Fantasy Flight sleeves with the yellow code).

#3 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

I personally didn't care for Arkham Horror. Be prepared for several initial sessions of learning the way it works.  And as with some games, this one's manual is utterly convoluted... poorly organized from a writer/editor's viewpoint. (The same  for Runebound, and even long time loyal fans of the game would agree with this.)  But that said, we have still kept Arkham, as we are determined to play it one way or another.

Descent is probably more akin to Runebound (also from FFG) than to Talisman; the two games even have some of the same characters, use similar icons and features and so on.  The closest things to Talisman that comes to mind are Mythgardia (still a small press operation, a similar not the same) and some oldies like Dungeonquest (which I believe is out of print, and is much simpler than even Talisman).

#4 vandimar77

vandimar77

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:22 AM

JCHendee said:

I personally didn't care for Arkham Horror. Be prepared for several initial sessions of learning the way it works.  And as with some games, this one's manual is utterly convoluted... poorly organized from a writer/editor's viewpoint. (The same  for Runebound, and even long time loyal fans of the game would agree with this.)  But that said, we have still kept Arkham, as we are determined to play it one way or another.

Descent is probably more akin to Runebound (also from FFG) than to Talisman; the two games even have some of the same characters, use similar icons and features and so on.  The closest things to Talisman that comes to mind are Mythgardia (still a small press operation, a similar not the same) and some oldies like Dungeonquest (which I believe is out of print, and is much simpler than even Talisman).

I have to agree with you about Arkham Horror and it's convoluted rules. I like the game but it can take a long time to play because even after repeated games I still find myself having to refer to obscure stuff in the book that's hard to find. It gets even worse when you start adding expansions to the mix (particularly the ill-conceived Kingsport Horror). Many of the people I boardgame with are casual gamers and for that reason Talisman sees play much more often than Arkham does...

#5 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:22 AM

Yes, it is a difficult one.  We are determined to one day master Arkham.  Some of us are not so obsessed with "winning" that we need a game that is short and power loaded.  But that's also the problem. When we want to play a game, it is usually for some entertainment and adventure... and not as a mere test of our commitment and determination. 

We too lean on Talisman as the game for mixed company looking for fun.  On the other hand, when the wife and I are on our own, we are leaning much more to Runebound (having only discovered it more recently).  It's rule book is about half as bad as Arkham's... very poorly organized and written (from a writer/editor standpoint), but the game structure once mastered is pretty smooth... and it already has a mountain of expansions waiting to be tried. Talisman's rulebook could have used a little work, but is probably the best of the three.

Another thing to note between Descent and Runebound is that Runebound does not require a GM; everyone gets to play the game itself.

#6 crimhead

crimhead

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:08 AM

Though nothing like Talisman, I simply must put in a word for Cosmic Encounter.

Cosmic Encounter is light enough for casual gamers, but it's faster than Talisman, more interactive, strategically deep (and subtle), highly social, rich in variety, and fun.

It's a classic game dating back to the seventies, but like Talisman, is in very good hands with FFG and receives support and expansions.  It has dozens of alien races to play with, and stackable coloured flying saucers. 

I'd at least take a look, if you haven't already.  it's one of the truely great hobby games:

FFG Cosmic encounter page.

BGG page.

The Warp fansite.

You can also try the basic version free online here (FFG base set includes more stuff than this).

Good luck, whatever you choose.

#7 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:02 AM

I own quite a lot of FFG games and I can give you some advice.

1) Arkham Horror; this is an adventure game whose setting are H.P.Lovecraft Cthulhu Myths. Atmosphere is good, gameplay is smooth and by all means a satisfactory experience. Cooperative play is also appealing, since it is very different from game standards. I don't find the manual to be exceedingly complicated or unclear; it simply has a lot of issues to cover and you need to read it 2-3 times and play the game 3-4 times, before you master it without major mistakes.

Playing Arkham Horror with a lot of people is not a huge problem. Games becomes easier with the increasing number of players and Turn organization is clever: 4 phases in which all players do the same action one after the other. This ensures nobody stays there too long, waiting for others to complete. The common objective also makes the players care for each other. I've played Arkham Horror with 2,3,4,5 players and I had the shortest games with 4-5. Strange indeed, considering what happens in any other game.

But AH remains a game for initiates, it's not for casual gamers. There are mechanics which require planning and thinking, there are lots of possible choices and the atmosphere of the Cthulhu tales is not for everyone. It is "horror fantasy", but it's not light-hearted like most fantasy settings. This shouldn't make you think that you won't laugh when playing AH; I had some hilarious moments with investigators going insane, lost in time and space and being presented at the feet of a colossal alien entity. That's not for casual gamers I think, especially those who enjoy Talisman the most (I do, but prefer Arkham Horror).

2) Descent has nothing to do with Talisman. It's a Dungeon delving game with a game master and a party of adventurers. Rules are not too difficult to learn, but playing properly requires skill, planning and a clear mind. When the Overlord doesn't know how to use his powers the Heroes can get some cheap victories, but after that it becomes painfully difficult for them to win the very basic maps, if they don't have a well sorted party with complementary abilities and luck on their side.

This game is very long to play, it requires strong commitment and can take longer than a traditional RPG dungeon exploration. Bad moves and wrong actions usually result in the player's downfall, so it's not the best thing to pass from Talisman to Descent.

Runebound is not a bad game, which has simple rules and a strong D&D feeling. Well, interaction between players is rare, but when it occurs it basically decides the winner. But it's also true that players tend to ignore each other in Runebound, hoping that the game itselg slows down the other Heroes, instead of chasing them. For this reason, I like to play Runebound only with 4 or less players, preferably with 3. Turns are overlong in this game and too much downtime is not acceptable. I also enjoy playing it solo from time to time; will you imagine playing Talisman solo? Of course not. This is why I believe these two games are compared unproperly; they're very different.

A game which shares a lot of things in common with Talisman is World of Warcraft the Adventure Game. Not FFG most popular game, at least not as popolar as the other Blizzard-related title, this game features a lot of interesting mechanics which are not very different from Talisman. It's also one of the few FFG games where you roll a die for movement, like in Talisman. Still I think this game is not perfect and has some flaws, which make it less enjoyable than it could be. Anyway, I would recommend this over Descent and Runebound. Arkham Horror is a stand-alone product and I won't suggest it unless you're absolutely sure you want to deal with what I've said above.

Hope this helps

#8 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

crimhead said:

You can also try the basic version free online here (FFG base set includes more stuff than this).

And a secondary thanks for pointing out the link... really nice to tinker with a basic version for free.

#9 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:37 AM

Very good reviews Warlock

#10 talonted

talonted

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:52 AM

anybody have recommendations for games on iPhone (apps), similar to Talisman? (preferably fantasy-like D&D setting, but definately open to any other genre suggestions)

#11 crimhead

crimhead

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:23 AM

I' like to mention Middle Earth Quest.  I can't recommend it because I own it but haven't played it yet.  It looks good, it's just I own about fifty hobby games and I'm very busy lately, so this and some other recent acquisitions are on the back burner.

That said, the game really looks fantastic.  I think it would be worth looking into - check out the forums here.   You can read rules and designer notes here.

Cheers.

#12 jhagen

jhagen

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

rogue trooper

plays like Talisman as it was made by Games Workshop in 1980's as well. It is just futuristic in its setting.

it would be easy to expect a release by FFG.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS