Fan Creations League Stories and Comments

• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#761 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

Likewise - this has been a horrific year for me, Ive witnessed things that would unhinge anyones mind, and these games are therapeutic. Demented, but therapeutic.

I respect your refreshing honesty but trump it with your humbleness - half the league is still many hours. What I am perceiving is that there was a huge amount of thought energy put into it, like the way people take care of beloved animal companions, thinking about them in their off time. That is the unmistakable and ineffable thing I am comforted by most of all. It is a form of shared love and I really need that kind of feeling! So thank you for helping me find it, it is really what the medal is for,

Perhaps this is something to put up on KS - "fund my trip to Providence to resurrect Lovecraft so that he can engrave for Avi from beyond the grave.".

Just think of the stretch goals!

But alas, until we find that Resurrection spell the plan is a little ambitious, so the specially made astra-mental one will have to do. At least you and I can see it, after all.

#762 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:51 AM

::Laughter:: if anything, Julia was the playtester (she caught a few things that were too easy)

Thanks for the credits :) I believe this League had a curious life. It started with a specific intent in Avi's mind, it twisted in a different direction with the passing of time, it had a complete playtesting only after it was "released" and now, several years later, it's living a second youth (thanks to old friends like Dj or new friends like Eagermind). I received some sort of feedback via PM on the BGG as well (nothing to write in the journal, Avi, I know only that a couple of guys tried it - no idea of the scenarios or the results, they never commented) and all the parts of the League have several downloads (almost 200 in some cases).

I'm excited by all of this. It's good to see people playing the League after all this time. I don't know in twenty years from now who will remember what among the home brewed creations for AH, but I believe that this League and some of the Heralds done in the custom creation section will become classics (at least, if anyone will remember AH after all this time, they will remember some of this stuff)

• dj2.0 and eagermind like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#763 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Likewise - this has been a horrific year for me, Ive witnessed things that would unhinge anyones mind, and these games are therapeutic. Demented, but therapeutic.

I respect your refreshing honesty but trump it with your humbleness - half the league is still many hours. What I am perceiving is that there was a huge amount of thought energy put into it, like the way people take care of beloved animal companions, thinking about them in their off time. That is the unmistakable and ineffable thing I am comforted by most of all. It is a form of shared love and I really need that kind of feeling! So thank you for helping me find it, it is really what the medal is for,

Perhaps this is something to put up on KS - "fund my trip to Providence to resurrect Lovecraft so that he can engrave for Avi from beyond the grave.".

Just think of the stretch goals!

But alas, until we find that Resurrection spell the plan is a little ambitious, so the specially made astra-mental one will have to do. At least you and I can see it, after all.

Hey, don't trump my humbleness, if you keep trumping my humbleness I'll start having to brag about how humble I am.  Not that it won't be true, and that I won't be the most humble person in the world, but people might get bored hearing me call myself humble all day.  Naaaaaah.  Humblehumblehumblehumble.  Mumblemumble.

More seriously (seriously?) you should not have such unreasonable goals for your kickstarter.  All I was expecting was that you go dig up Lovecraft's corpse, remove his arm bones, glue them back together, if necessary, and then glue a pen into his bony fingers.  Then you can force him to write once again by moving his hand with yours!

In the meanwhile I'll enjoy the astra-mental-medal though ;')

• dj2.0 likes this

#764 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

::Laughter:: if anything, Julia was the playtester (she caught a few things that were too easy)

Thanks for the credits :) I believe this League had a curious life. It started with a specific intent in Avi's mind, it twisted in a different direction with the passing of time, it had a complete playtesting only after it was "released" and now, several years later, it's living a second youth (thanks to old friends like Dj or new friends like Eagermind). I received some sort of feedback via PM on the BGG as well (nothing to write in the journal, Avi, I know only that a couple of guys tried it - no idea of the scenarios or the results, they never commented) and all the parts of the League have several downloads (almost 200 in some cases).

I'm excited by all of this. It's good to see people playing the League after all this time. I don't know in twenty years from now who will remember what among the home brewed creations for AH, but I believe that this League and some of the Heralds done in the custom creation section will become classics (at least, if anyone will remember AH after all this time, they will remember some of this stuff)

What's amusing in retrospect is the person who requested a harder league never really played it.  Likewise, the person who requested a hard mode ::cough cough:: hasn't played it yet ;'D

Also, thanks for the compliment re: the league survival.  May it be reconstructed on shred of papers by the mutant roachman-hybrid armies of 2302.

Edited by Avi_dreader, 29 August 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#765 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

What's amusing in retrospect is the person who requested a harder league never really played it.  Likewise, the person who requested a hard mode ::cough cough:: hasn't played it yet ;'D

Also, thanks for the compliment re: the league survival.  May it be reconstructed on shred of papers by the mutant roachman-hybrid armies of 2302.

I haven't been playing Arkham at all in the last three months I think... no-phisical-time... plus, we had a great run with the first incarnation of the League. I know I'll play it in the hard mode. But this will probably be the finished hat of my Arkham life (read: after winning again in the hard mode, I don't think I'll be interested in playing Arkham again), so I want to enjoy the ride. For now, I'm happy with implementing Miskatonic Horror in my games and beating all the possible Herald + AO combos of the game

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#766 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:51 AM

. But this will probably be the finished hat of my Arkham life (read: after winning again in the hard mode, I don't think I'll be interested in playing Arkham again), so I want to enjoy the ride.

You know, I had the same thoughts, but I dont think it will happen that way for me. What this experience is teaching me is that AH has so many levers and knobs and dials to fiddle with that with a bit of creativity I can keep it interesting for a very long time.

#767 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

. But this will probably be the finished hat of my Arkham life (read: after winning again in the hard mode, I don't think I'll be interested in playing Arkham again), so I want to enjoy the ride.

You know, I had the same thoughts, but I dont think it will happen that way for me. What this experience is teaching me is that AH has so many levers and knobs and dials to fiddle with that with a bit of creativity I can keep it interesting for a very long time.

It would be fantastic if you posted some of your game mods afterwards.  I was really hoping people would use some of my ideas in other stuff.  Some of the stuff is very ripe for repurposing.  I've yet to see another creation that does a lot with doom track triggers for instance (although granted, I got the germ of that idea from Martial Law, but then it occurred to me that a *lot* more could be done with it to add to midgame and endgame tension).

#768 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

You know a considerable while back I did make custom content. I was one of 2 creating a campaign mode with long lost Millmaster. We made a campaign track that moved up and down throughout the serial, releasing various scourges that remained in play when certain stages were reached or certain AOs were victorious. This also tracked how many benefits the team could carry through. It was never finished - Dunwich was being released at the time so it was only up to that version of the horror. But it worked a treat and it was fun, so you never know...I may have another go at it if the stars turn about in the right way.
Anyway, time to skin a snake..:-)

Edited by dj2.0, 28 September 2013 - 05:54 AM.

• Avi_dreader likes this

#769 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

Sounds like something to recover from the dust of the past :) Lots of AOs here in the forum keep on mentioning Millmaster. I'm kinda sad I never crossed his path, but it's really beutiful that what he did is still remembered :)

Nail it, skinner!

• Avi_dreader likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS