• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#41 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

Uh...  I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to post another scenario today.  Err...  It'll be a few hours late (I want to do a few things before finishing the write up, like, eat a meal and relax).  I don't think there's any rush though :')

#42 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

I'll post it in a minute.

Alright.  Done.

Personally, I thought it was really cool.  I enjoyed play testing it very much.  I'd love to talk about the effects, but, heh...  I should probably wait until at least *someone* tries it ;'D

#43 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

My portfolio is due this week, a research paper a few days later (there's a good chance I'll be posting scenario five a few days, or up to a week late, just because I haven't had time to playtest it, and I'm really nervous about posting it without playtesting).

#44 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

Scratch that last comment :') the research paper has been given a week extension.  I may be able to playtest scenario 5 tomorrow night or Saturday.  Assuming I can beat it in my first or second try, I'll probably have it posted by Sunday or Monday.

#45 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

I'm going to playtest scenario five now...  I'm...  Mildly anxious...

#46 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

Alright...  I just crushed a seven toughness monster on my first roll (no lucky cigarette case needed), it looks like the final scenario of the first group is doable.  Now if only I could seal a damn gate...

#47 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

Damn...  I let the gates get out of control...  Ugh...  And I was doing well too...  Oh well...

Edit: oh wait, what am I saying ;'D I'm playtesting this, I can tweak the game constraints.  Heh...  I guess scenario five gets one extra gate ;'D (it's appropriate, you'll see why soon enough— I'm worried that without it eight player teams will find it extremely difficult).

::Sigh:: Jerusalem Jones...  I hate playing eight player team solitaire, but, I want to make sure you guys will find scenario five doable (it's quite a different creature than the first four).

#48 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

Okay...  It's playtested now...  And an eight player team can definitely do it.  Not that it will be easy.

#49 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

I've finally found the time to try scenario one today (I know, I'm a little late on the timetable). 5 investigators (Mary, William, Carolyn, Wendy and Norman - am I the only one who thinks about George Wendt's character in Cheers every time Norman is in play? Wanna fight some monster, Norm? Yeah, but gimme a beer for a nice start) and all expansions but Kingsport in (first remarkable note: mixing all the bloody Mythos card from all expansions is Sanity exausting, my hands are too little for all that cards).

A horrible starting equipment for almost all the characters involved, apart from William, who recieved a couple of Gladium of Carcosa, allowing him to easy eliminate the Cultist in front of the South Church. First gate in Innsmouth at the Esoteric Order of Dagon (with fortunately a stationary monster on it, a Dark young of Shub-nigurrath), second one in Dunwhich, most investigator with few movement points and none, apart from William, equipped with a weapon.

So, basically the first rounds were a little frustrating, too tough monsters (most of them were undead, so modified toughness) blocking gates, and characters moving to slowly. With some nasty Enviroment cards pacing down even more the characters. Nevertheless, something good happened, William had a gate opening under his feet, and fell into Another time with two monsters trophies and 2 clues, but fortunately in the second area of the other world he managed to destroy another monster, having de factu enough clues to seal. So, basically around round 4, both William and Norm returned from thee OW and sealed the Science building and The historical society. While the others were trying to avoid fighting the *original* (Avi-trademark) Vampire, always too ready to hunt people everywhere (we weren't able to beat him (it?) for the whole gameplay)

Then we went for some shopping at the Curiosity shoppe and Norm bought the Mi-go brain case. This basically was the turning point of the game: with this little object, he started swapping places with the toughest monsters on the board, allowing the others to enter some gates. Catherine sealed the gate in Dunwich, while Norm entered and sealed a gate appeared at the Woods.

We won the game by sealing 6 gates when Death's doom track was still at nine doomers. The game was great, and it was really cool seeing how some custom stuff could really work *well* (so, thank you, Avi!). Monsters were tough, but the +1 Sneak given to investigators by Death helped a lot in dealing with them during the first rounds. None was devoured, nor retired, even if in the end, William was burdened by two injuries and one madness.

Can't wait for trying Scenario 2, now.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#50 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

You can't really beat Dracula (at least not before final combat).  At best you can distract him or temporarily drive him off.  There's usually no point in fighting him (unless you're in the mood for human sacrifice).

I'm really excited that you liked it :') and I can't wait for you to get to scenario two too!  Which items did you have your investigators carry over?  Good luck with the next scenario it's quite tough (I felt like it was much harder than the first scenario, which I made deliberately soft so people could get their teams a few preselected items).

I just posted scenario five...  It's also quite tough, but doable (I did playtest it after all).  

Heh...  Soon I'll post scenario six.  New investigator pool!

I hope people are enjoying the story (since writing that takes me longer than anything but playtesting)...

#51 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

Avi_dreader said:

You can't really beat Dracula (at least not before final combat).  At best you can distract him or temporarily drive him off.  There's usually no point in fighting him (unless you're in the mood for human sacrifice).

Yep, I know. The main point is that the dam(n) vampire sometimes stopped in some vital spot and it would have been good being able to sent him back to graveyard, at least for a couple of round. Ando probably with some better equipped characters, it won't be such an impossible thing to do. It could really have happened at least once, when William rolled 4 successes on 11 dice, but a nasty Mythos card gave him another toughness, and so... (and no, I didn't wan't to have William fight the Vampire, but he couldn't avoid it)

Avi_dreader said:

I'm really excited that you liked it :') and I can't wait for you to get to scenario two too!  Which items did you have your investigators carry over?  Good luck with the next scenario it's quite tough (I felt like it was much harder than the first scenario, which I made deliberately soft so people could get their teams a few preselected items).

Well, the final equipment was not that good (but definitely better than the starting equipment ::laughing::), I mean we didn't have that many useful items, apart from some weapons, so I think I basically will trasfer to the new Scenario weapons and the mi-go brain case, folloqing this order:
- William - Gladius of Carcosa
- Mary - Gladius of Carcosa
- Wendy - Enchanted cane
- Norm - a beer ::joking:: the Mi-Go brain case
- Carolyn - Atame

Just a question, in order I'm sure to understand correctly the league rules: I do not carry over Injuries and Madnesses, right?
And what about Memberships? Sister Mary had a Silver twilight lodge membership. Or can I consider it an item and carry it instead of the Gladium (btw, this nun is driving me crazy... killing cultists, hiding from vampires at the train station and becoming affiliated of a nefarious esoteric order :: thematically insane, ehm, great::)

I also hope Scenario 2 is a bit harsher... this was fine, but as we find a way to enter gates, we had a pretty easy win. Ah, just for some stats report, we beat the Innsmouth plague rumor and the terror track hit 5

Avi_dreader said:

I just posted scenario five...  It's also quite tough, but doable (I did playtest it after all).  

Heh...  Soon I'll post scenario six.  New investigator pool!

I hope people are enjoying the story (since writing that takes me longer than anything but playtesting)...

New investigator pool? This sounds great ::smiling:: I think all investigators in the first pool are quite enjoyable, apart from Mary (that thematically is a great character, but oh, God, how much I hate her... don't know way, really)
And yep, I have a small question regarding William, but I think this could be of general interest, so I'm going to post it in the main section of the forum
Next Arkham play will be a "normal" game (probably against Yibb-Tsill, still haven't tried it yet in my whole Arkham life) and then back to the your League

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#52 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

Just a question... am I the only one who thinks the Hekate picture used for the GOO is disturbingly... sexy?

#53 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

Julia said:

Well, the final equipment was not that good (but definitely better than the starting equipment ::laughing::), I mean we didn't have that many useful items, apart from some weapons, so I think I basically will trasfer to the new Scenario weapons and the mi-go brain case, folloqing this order:
- William - Gladius of Carcosa
- Mary - Gladius of Carcosa
- Wendy - Enchanted cane
- Norm - a beer ::joking:: the Mi-Go brain case
- Carolyn - Atame

Just a question, in order I'm sure to understand correctly the league rules: I do not carry over Injuries and Madnesses, right?
And what about Memberships? Sister Mary had a Silver twilight lodge membership. Or can I consider it an item and carry it instead of the Gladium (btw, this nun is driving me crazy... killing cultists, hiding from vampires at the train station and becoming affiliated of a nefarious esoteric order :: thematically insane, ehm, great::)

I also hope Scenario 2 is a bit harsher... this was fine, but as we find a way to enter gates, we had a pretty easy win. Ah, just for some stats report, we beat the Innsmouth plague rumor and the terror track hit 5

New investigator pool? This sounds great ::smiling:: I think all investigators in the first pool are quite enjoyable, apart from Mary (that thematically is a great character, but oh, God, how much I hate her... don't know way, really)

And yep, I have a small question regarding William, but I think this could be of general interest, so I'm going to post it in the main section of the forum
Next Arkham play will be a "normal" game (probably against Yibb-Tsill, still haven't tried it yet in my whole Arkham life) and then back to the your League

Here's a quick link to the rules although I'll answer everything you asked below:

http://arkhamleague.blogspot.com/2010/03/arkham-horror-fan-creation-league.html

Okay, I wanted to clarify something (I had to clarify it in the rules too, it wasn't quite obvious there), you're not supposed to be able to carry over more than four items (and twilight lodge isn't an item according to the rules— technically rail pass is, but most of those sort of things aren't).  You don't carry over anything except for four items of your choice that you need to replace.  You're supposed to replace an item of the same type that investigator already has.  I.e. if you wanted Wendy to start with her Enchanted Cane, you'd need to not have her start with her Elder Sign (which I assume you won't do).  For the purpose of not having to restart your scenario, I'd probably fudge this rule a little for scenario two ;') (I'd just give my four items of choice to investigators they fit on).  Scenario two is going to be a *challenge* I promise you.  The brain case should help.  And you can get around the modified bank loan rules and two monsters per gate if you only play five investigators (it'll be counted as four).

Heh...  Bad news ;'D Mary's still going to be in the new investigator pool.

Here's the investigator pool for scenarios 6-12.  It's much brawnier, but spellcasting is going to be much harder.  I'm excited about having a new group of characters to tell short stories with.

“Skids” O’Toole
Joe Diamond
Roland Banks
Finn Edwards
Charlie Kane
Tony Morgan
Michael McGlen
Jenny Barnes
Sister Mary
Marie Lambeau
Amanda Sharpe

#54 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

Avi_dreader said:

Okay, I wanted to clarify something (I had to clarify it in the rules too, it wasn't quite obvious there), you're not supposed to be able to carry over more than four items (and twilight lodge isn't an item according to the rules— technically rail pass is, but most of those sort of things aren't).  You don't carry over anything except for four items of your choice that you need to replace.  You're supposed to replace an item of the same type that investigator already has.  I.e. if you wanted Wendy to start with her Enchanted Cane, you'd need to not have her start with her Elder Sign (which I assume you won't do).  For the purpose of not having to restart your scenario, I'd probably fudge this rule a little for scenario two ;') (I'd just give my four items of choice to investigators they fit on).  Scenario two is going to be a *challenge* I promise you.  The brain case should help.  And you can get around the modified bank loan rules and two monsters per gate if you only play five investigators (it'll be counted as four).

Heh...  Bad news ;'D Mary's still going to be in the new investigator pool.

Thank you for clarifying the point Avi, and sorry, it was too early in the morning when I answered to your previous post :-) Yep, 4 investigators carry over items, and that's it. I've seen we have to have Jacqueline with us next time, so I'll probably eliminate William, don't know. Anyway, I wrote down the equipment of every single character, so it won't be that difficult choosing wich item carry over to the next scenario. I'll definitely keep the Mi-Go brain case. And I'll go with Wendy AND her Wlder sign, so no Enchanted Cane at all.
I've been through almost all your writing about Scenario 2 now, I'm pretty excited about starting!

#55 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

But, Avi... has anyone else beaten Scenario 1 or any of the following? I've read the posts of Jerusalem Jones and Amikeizor and their commented only the first Scenario, and after that... nothing more. It would be fun sharing comments on the custom league!

#56 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

Julia said:

But, Avi... has anyone else beaten Scenario 1 or any of the following? I've read the posts of Jerusalem Jones and Amikeizor and their commented only the first Scenario, and after that... nothing more. It would be fun sharing comments on the custom league!

::Laughter:: not yet I'm afraid (although a few other people have expressed interest and intent to eventually begin it).  Although I am playing through all the scenarios before posting them, so if you need someone to talk about things with, I promise to comment back ;'D

Trust me, you're going to want to have Jaqueline next scenario ;'D

#57 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

Avi_dreader said:

::Laughter:: not yet I'm afraid (although a few other people have expressed interest and intent to eventually begin it).  Although I am playing through all the scenarios before posting them, so if you need someone to talk about things with, I promise to comment back ;'D

::smiling:: never doubt about your kindness Avi. and I'll do my best to complete the league (or, at least, the first 5 scenarios) in not so a long (and strage) eon

Avi_dreader said:

Trust me, you're going to want to have Jaqueline next scenario ;'D

well, I love Jacqueline, she's a magnificent character. I even thought about her for the first scenario, but Wendy and Norm were too useful for beating Dracula and I had to pick them up... I could have used her instead of Carolyn, but nevertheless, I preferred someone able to cure some sanity instead. But now that I can get rid of William... ::laughing::

Just a question about Jacqueline personal story: if you pass it, you have to discard one Ally. From the three she has already when she passes her story, or from the ally deck?

#58 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:21 AM

She needs to discard one of her allies.  Not that it matters since she auto-fails her personal story in scenario two (it's intended to be thematic).

#59 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

The aftermath of scenario five will be posted soon (probably tomorrow).

#60 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

Uh...  This isn't dead, just sleeping (I've been playing lots of Starcraft and reading lately).  Since no one seems to be ontop of these and eager for the next release I haven't really felt much of a rush to write up the next one.  I do have all of the game structures mapped out from 1-25 though, so, it will be complete and visible, eventually.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS