Photo

Any speculation about what being an Astartes will be like?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Adam France

Adam France

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:11 AM

MILLANDSON said:

At least Sandy Mitchell wrote Ciaphas Cain, which is easily probably the best long-term series of 40k books in the Black Library at present (not including the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies).

I disagree. Mitchell is one of the weaker BL authors imo, his books all suffer from similar problems, all of them seem stodgily written to me, they all feature an endless cycle of -action-sit down exposition dump meeting-action-exposition dump meeting-action- etc etc. The core concept of the Cain books is an okay idea (Flashman in 40K), but the Cain books don't capture the magic of Flashman imho, Cain is neither a coward, or much of a womaniser, he's basically a self-deprecating 'nice guy'. That makes for a far less fun 'ride'.

Much better authors imo are Dan Abnett (of course), Anthony Reynolds (his Word Bearer series is waaaay better written and more imaginative imo than the Cain books), Matthew Farrer (okay he seems to be off the radar at them moment unfortunately, but again his Shira Calpurnia books are considerably superior to the Cain books), and Graham MacNiell (okay controversial this one I know - but he seems to have really upped his game lately - his Horus Heresy books have been excellent for example).  

#42 Atheosis

Atheosis

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

BrotherHostower said:

Wow, what did Kim Newman write? I don't think I've ever even heard of her... nor Joe Quesada.  You are leaving out the first BL author to actually get stuff in Hardcover (Dan Abnett) who does a fine job of showing the merciless IG meatgrindering that is 40k, not to mention what, half a dozen other authors who do work for them actually in the 40k setting. (like William King and Lee Lightner's Ragnar series, or Gav Thorpe's Dark Angels).

Originality? are you really complaining that Sandy Mitchell isn't original in 40k? The setting that doesn't have a single original thing going for it?  Orks (Tolkien), Space Marines (the guy who wrote starship troopers... add in original nids to that too, and imperial guard...), Necrons (Terminators), Tyranids (starship troopers & Giger's aliens), The Imperium as a whole? Starship troopers' totalitarian government lead by Space Jesus, c'mon man.  Tau? Giant Anime Robots to appeal to an Asian audience.  Am I leaving anything out?  Oh right, Eldar as Vulcans and Dark Eldar as Romulans, can't forget the space elves.  It's the circle of rip offs, D&D Ripped Tolkien (Tolkien ripped others before him), GamesWorkshop ripped off D&D, Blizzard ripped off GamesWorkshop.  What IS appealing about Gamesworkshop is more than the base, more than the unoriginal origins, but what they DO with the setting.  They've done a great job of making the Empire of Space Jesus believable for it's place. 

40k isn't original?  Please point me to all the gothic sci-fi that existed prior to its creation in the 80s then. 

Admittedly many of the elements of 40k, if taken individually, are derivative, but the way that the setting is constructed as a whole is pretty damn unique.

#43 BrotherAtrox

BrotherAtrox

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:00 AM

Adam France said:

I disagree. Mitchell is one of the weaker BL authors imo, his books all suffer from similar problems, all of them seem stodgily written to me, they all feature an endless cycle of -action-sit down exposition dump meeting-action-exposition dump meeting-action- etc etc. The core concept of the Cain books is an okay idea (Flashman in 40K), but the Cain books don't capture the magic of Flashman imho, Cain is neither a coward, or much of a womaniser, he's basically a self-deprecating 'nice guy'. That makes for a far less fun 'ride'.

Much better authors imo are Dan Abnett (of course), Anthony Reynolds (his Word Bearer series is waaaay better written and more imaginative imo than the Cain books), Matthew Farrer (okay he seems to be off the radar at them moment unfortunately, but again his Shira Calpurnia books are considerably superior to the Cain books), and Graham MacNiell (okay controversial this one I know - but he seems to have really upped his game lately - his Horus Heresy books have been excellent for example).  

Matt Farrer has a new Calpurnia book coming out this year, I think. It's up on the BL website.

No idea what Flashman is, but considering some of the other material in the BL - Mitchell stands out like a beacon for me.

#44 Adam France

Adam France

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:20 AM

BrotherAtrox said:

Adam France said:

Matt Farrer has a new Calpurnia book coming out this year, I think. It's up on the BL website.

No idea what Flashman is, but considering some of the other material in the BL - Mitchell stands out like a beacon for me.

Harry Flashman was a bully character from Tom Brown's Schooldays, a public schoolboy novel written in the 1850s. Flashman was pretty much the cowardly bully villain of the book.

In the 1970s (iirc) the British author George Macdonald Fraser had the genius idea of taking Flashman (who had perversely been Fraser's favourite character when he read Schooldays) and telling what happened next for the character. Flashman had been shown to be a clever liar, able to fool people, and handsome and charming when he wanted to be, so Fraser wrote a long series of classic books that were (for the most part) scrupulously true to real history where Flashman becomes an unworthy Victorian military hero despite actually remaining in fact a bully, coward, womaniser, cheat, cad, etc. The books are written as if they were written in old age by Flashman himself, just before WWI, and were so well written many reviewers (especially in America) mistook them for actual memoirs of an actual Victorian military hero.

They remain some of my all time favourite novels. If you want to judge Mitchell's failings read the Flashman books.

Hell, read them anyway, they are classics.

(Mitchell has been honest from the get-go his Cain stories are homages to Flashman btw, no secret or scandal there.)

Good news about the new Calpurnia book! :-) 

#45 BrotherHostower

BrotherHostower

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

Atheosis - I'll have to look, I'm sure there were pulp fiction writers who wrote about dark, gritty, gothic futures, most likely back in the 50's during the great depression.  40k is as original as... Shakespear, the baseline ideas, not original, what they did with the base ideas, very original AND extremely well done.  Heck, even Star Wars could be seen in a similar fashion, difference being, 40k is from the position of the Empire  as opposed to the rebels, that and they jacked up the scale of everything a thousand fold.   There's nothing wrong with not starting with original ideas and taking them to your own place, that's how some of the best games/movies/books end up coming about (Shakespear still one of the ideal examples of doing what people already know and making them argueably "better.")  Warhammer 40k is pulp fiction, fun, gritty and not meant to be literature, that doesnt' make it bad, just people need to know that kinda thing going into it and not nit pick it.

#46 Niqvah

Niqvah

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

Speculations on mechanics aside, I think a big part of what could make Deathwatch really awesome will be the roleplay aspect. To create a truly heroic warrior who has cut his way through countless battlefields and faced a greater variety of foes than most Imperial citizens even know exist: that has the potential to be pretty special. I hope (in fact, trust) that something in character creation will reflect this rich background.

I certainly look forward to playing a multifaceted character, with ambitions and regrets, and hundreds of years of memories; playing someone who has forgotten more dramatic and breathtaking events than most people will ever experience.

#47 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

BrotherAtrox said:

That's not a new book; it's an omnibus collecting together all the Shira Calpurnia novels. And about time too - tracking copies of those things is like finding phoenix teeth.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#48 UncleArkie

UncleArkie

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

For some reason I have a feeling that DW characters will start at the same place as ascension pc's.

#49 Atheosis

Atheosis

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

UncleArkie said:

For some reason I have a feeling that DW characters will start at the same place as ascension pc's.

If so, let's hope they've actually been play-tested this time...

#50 The Wyzard

The Wyzard

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

BrotherHostower said:

most likely back in the 50's during the great depression. 

*twitch*

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS