Custom Guardians

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#41 Hadanelith

Hadanelith

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:35 AM

Nifty! Yeah, we've had that double blessing stuff come up a few times, and it always irritates the hell out of us - especially when we agonize over who to bless at South Church, and that player draws a Blessing encounter the next turn. Your cards are nifty, and I can see how it could be useful, but does double blessing really come up that frequently? The only other ability on the Guardian is nice, but we don't get cursed that often. Altogether, it seems like you could play an entire game without either ability triggering (you could always have everybody spam South Church, but I digress). Perhaps one more ability? One a little less random? Otherwise neat, and like the art.

#42 Admiral142

Admiral142

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:18 AM

Another ability could be good.  I made the double bless ability hard to get because the Archangel cards are really good (or are supposed to be really good!) 

Any ideas for another ability?

#43 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

The cost to restore Sanity/ Stamina is reduced by $1, Investigators draw 2 cards at the Church, Flying monsters are returned to the cup on a roll or 1 when moved to the sky

#44 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:33 AM

How about...

Matins

Upkeep: Any Investigator at the South Church may restore one Sanity and one Stamina.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#45 Caduceus

Caduceus

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

Here's a guardian to make Federal Raids in Innsmouth a little more satisfying.

And here's a link if the image is broken or too big: javascript:void(0);/*1243825259472*/

Dude looked kinda like my grandfather when they were young.

#46 Dethasarus Rex

Dethasarus Rex

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:58 AM

here is a herald i cooked up...no pun intended from the fact that me and my team have lots of bacon...goes with an expansion being created on our lives

#47 Dethasarus Rex

Dethasarus Rex

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

sorry you cant see the picture but its a pig shooting bacon from its eyes and the text below the picture reads as such

As the presence of <name> grows known, as does an over powering desire for bacon.

<b>Start of Game:</b> Place 10 <b>Bacon tokens</b> on <name>. Also add the <b>Wilbur: Ally Card</b>

#48 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

Here's my take on the Feds...

The Office for Naval Intelligence
The Raid on Innsmouth was the catalyst for US intervention against the Mythos. In years to come the Office for Naval Intelligence would transform into Delta Green and would go on to serve a key role in World War II. But for now their forerunner must faces an equally challenging task...

Under Observation
After the Federal Raid Track has been reset, the first player may place one clue anywhere onto the Federal Raid Track. Furthermore, Innsmouth requires two additional Doom tokens before it can declare Martial Law.

Political Influence
Any Phase: No Investigator may receive the Wanted card or be Arrested in Arkham, Kingsport or Dunwich, though they may be arrested in Innsmouth. The Deputy may be purchased for half it's normal cost.

Government Funding
Arkham Encounters: Any Investigator at the Bank may choose discard two Gate Trophies, one Gate Trophy and five Toughness worth of Monster Trophies or ten Toughness worth of Monster Trophies. If they do so, they may receive a Retainer or discard a Loan from any one Investigator.

Hotline
Upkeep: An Investigator may a clue at the Police Station to contact the Federal Agents. When they do so, they may place a clue on the Federal Agent track. Only one clue per turn may be spent in this fashion.

Miltary Assistance
Upkeep: Once Martial Law has been declared, the government steps up it's campaign. The First Player may choose a non-Spawn monster anywhere on the board and roll two dice. If both dice show a result which is greater than the toughness of that monster, return it to the cup. Final Battle: If the Ancient One awakens, each investigator may roll one additional dice when making any Combat checks.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#49 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

Jake yet again said:

Here's my take on the Feds...

The Office for Naval Intelligence
The Raid on Innsmouth was the catalyst for US intervention against the Mythos. In years to come the Office for Naval Intelligence would transform into Delta Green and would go on to serve a key role in World War II. But for now their forerunner must faces an equally challenging task...

Under Observation
After the Federal Raid Track has been reset, the first player may place one clue anywhere onto the Federal Raid Track. Furthermore, Innsmouth requires two additional Doom tokens before it can declare Martial Law.

Political Influence
Any Phase: No Investigator may receive the Wanted card or be Arrested in Arkham, Kingsport or Dunwich, though they may be arrested in Innsmouth. The Deputy may be purchased for half it's normal cost.

Government Funding
Arkham Encounters: Any Investigator at the Bank may choose discard two Gate Trophies, one Gate Trophy and five Toughness worth of Monster Trophies or ten Toughness worth of Monster Trophies. If they do so, they may receive a Retainer or discard a Loan from any one Investigator.

Hotline
Upkeep: An Investigator may a clue at the Police Station to contact the Federal Agents. When they do so, they may place a clue on the Federal Agent track. Only one clue per turn may be spent in this fashion.

Miltary Assistance
Upkeep: Once Martial Law has been declared, the government steps up it's campaign. The First Player may choose a non-Spawn monster anywhere on the board and roll two dice. If both dice show a result which is greater than the toughness of that monster, return it to the cup. Final Battle: If the Ancient One awakens, each investigator may roll one additional dice when making any Combat checks.

Hotline basically kills any incentive to ever go to Innsmouth, as you can keep the town in check without ever having to go there. Other than that it looks pretty good, though I can't imagine someone spending 2 gate trophies for a retainer card (Although that could just be because of my personal playstyle).

#50 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:55 AM

Good point. How about:-

Hotline

Any Phase: Whenever the Terror Level rises, the First Player may pay a clue to put a clue on an unused space on the Federal Raid track. This ability may only be used once per turn.

Makes sense thematically, gives you a chance to nail Innsmouth from afar, but won't be enough on it's own to keep Innsmouth under control.

#51 McCaber

McCaber

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

I think someone needs to make a Guardian of Erich Zann, the mad violist. Perhaps some abilities about pacifying the old ones, holding back monsters through his music, and keeping the terror in the town low. Any ideas on specifics?

I'm actually surprised that this hasn't been done yet.

#52 Feonor

Feonor

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:50 AM

That's a great idea, McCaber!  I'll give it a try and post the results ASAP!

In the mean time, here is my first attempt at a Guardian.  I would appreciate feedback on the powerlevel.

#53 Graksnor

Graksnor

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

Well, he is definitely powerful. The art is very fun. Where did you get it? Deviantart? Epilogue?

"You will be protected" could use a little work. As it stands, it is confusing with the final battle. Say Yig devours one investigator... is that investigator then in South church? Kinda odd. Maybe include a clause that says "Before Final Battle begins."

As it stands, he is definitely the most powerful. Even Hypnos' storm of clues sort of pales in comparison, especially because Merlin saves a lot of clues. Of the five abilities (including gathering of heroes) any 1-2 would make him as powerful as Nodens or a usual guardian. Maybe divide him up into two Guardians, each with some of the abilities (I don't know, maybe Galahad or someone) that you've come up with.

I do like the abilities, though. It is tricky to think of ways to help the investigator, and these are pretty varied.

#54 Feonor

Feonor

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

Graksnor said:

Well, he is definitely powerful. The art is very fun. Where did you get it? Deviantart? Epilogue?

"You will be protected" could use a little work. As it stands, it is confusing with the final battle. Say Yig devours one investigator... is that investigator then in South church? Kinda odd. Maybe include a clause that says "Before Final Battle begins."

As it stands, he is definitely the most powerful. Even Hypnos' storm of clues sort of pales in comparison, especially because Merlin saves a lot of clues. Of the five abilities (including gathering of heroes) any 1-2 would make him as powerful as Nodens or a usual guardian. Maybe divide him up into two Guardians, each with some of the abilities (I don't know, maybe Galahad or someone) that you've come up with.

I do like the abilities, though. It is tricky to think of ways to help the investigator, and these are pretty varied.

@Graksnor:  I tried to take an editorial eye to the powers, changing some and removing others.  The point of a guardian is not to do the work of the Investigators for them but simply to make it easier for them to do their jobs.  For example, the "Light of the Old Ones" Ability doesn't defeat monsters for the investigators, it simply gives them a fighting chance against otherwise super-tough monsters.  Same thing with "Gathering of Heroes" - the investigators don't start with any extra allies, they simply won't be denied any allies if given the opportunity to get one.  Unlike Bast, who make one investigator super cool, or Nodens and Hypnos, who hapazardly apply their bonuses regardless of need, Merlin is intended from the begining to be equally useful to all investigators but not do too much for them. 

Btw, the art was stock fantasy poster art I found online.   Let me know what you think of this version...

#55 Phibby

Phibby

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

@Graksnor:  I tried to take an editorial eye to the powers, changing some and removing others.  The point of a guardian is not to do the work of the Investigators for them but simply to make it easier for them to do their jobs.  For example, the "Light of the Old Ones" Ability doesn't defeat monsters for the investigators, it simply gives them a fighting chance against otherwise super-tough monsters.  Same thing with "Gathering of Heroes" - the investigators don't start with any extra allies, they simply won't be denied any allies if given the opportunity to get one.  Unlike Bast, who make one investigator super cool, or Nodens and Hypnos, who hapazardly apply their bonuses regardless of need, Merlin is intended from the begining to be equally useful to all investigators but not do too much for them. 

Btw, the art was stock fantasy poster art I found online.   Let me know what you think of this version...

[/QUOTE]

Should the Light of the Old Ones ability read "Monsters with Physical Immunity have Physical Resistance" instead of Magical Resisitance?

#56 Feonor

Feonor

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:41 PM

Phibby said:

Should the Light of the Old Ones ability read "Monsters with Physical Immunity have Physical Resistance" instead of Magical Resisitance?

Yes.  Yes it should.  I'll fix it (and the size) on the next batch.

#57 Admiral142

Admiral142

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

Here is a fun one I've been working on.  Thematically, it doesn't match, but it could always be changed to something that does pretty easily.  :)

#58 pittplayer

pittplayer

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

yes yes yes MOTHRA!!!! i love him i would change one thing the weaker mothra doom tokens (half to take off) is a bit clunky, have mothra spew some silk at the AO and have the ao roll a die on a 1 cancel the attack? thanks!! how bout a King Ghodaroh herald?

#59 Feonor

Feonor

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

McCaber said:

I think someone needs to make a Guardian of Erich Zann, the mad violist. Perhaps some abilities about pacifying the old ones, holding back monsters through his music, and keeping the terror in the town low. Any ideas on specifics?

I'm actually surprised that this hasn't been done yet.

Done and done.

#60 Feonor

Feonor

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

lets try that again..

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS
About Fantasy Flight Games
Professional Zone