Custom Guardians

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#21 Yenreb

Yenreb

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:00 AM

Alright, have Xuo not produce any free Influence cards at the start of the game. If you're lucky, you'll still get one or two anyway, through the Fortune card that gives you an Influence.

Also, feel free to ignore the "Small Favors"/Interference cards.

Similarly, to make Fah'ic less scary, don't produce any Impact cards at the start of the game. You'll still probably get one or two through the Curse card that gives you an Impact.

#22 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

#23 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

Uhhhh...  Isn't that He-Man on Battlecat?

#24 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:50 AM

Avi_dreader said:

No matter how hard I tried and how many times I've read this post I couldn't understand a word of it. Sorry.

#25 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

kroen said:

Avi_dreader said:

No matter how hard I tried and how many times I've read this post I couldn't understand a word of it. Sorry.

::Laughter:: I see...  I guess you don't realize what art it was you used.

http://www.latinoreview.com/images/upload/newspic4765.jpg

http://www.figurerealm.com/Customs/6500/6186-4.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He-Man_and_the_Masters_of_the_Universe

"He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is an American animated television series produced by Filmation based on Mattel's successful toy line Masters of the Universe. The show, often referred to as simply He-Man, was one of the most popular animated children's shows of the 1980s and has retained a heavy following to this day both in America and worldwide."

I was pretty amused when I saw your herald picture.  I could recognize who it was instantly (from the sword and the glowing insignia on the chest, not to mention Battle-Cat).

#26 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:07 AM

This Guardian is not recommended playing with the King in Yellow Herald.

edit: obviously the "can't be devoured" part doesn't work against acneint ones.

#27 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

I wouldn't call them Blight but Delight cards

#28 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

kroen said:

I concur with Avi that the picture is... distracting, I suppose. Other than that I really like this guardian. Great theme for a marathon game.

#29 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

kroen said:

This Guardian is not recommended playing with the King in Yellow Herald.

edit: obviously the "can't be devoured" part doesn't work against acneint ones.

That's an odd use of Blights, but it's interesting. I think this would actually be more fun against the King in Yellow, as there would be a lot of 'back and forth' between the two powers.

An interesting side effect of this guardian is that the terror level becomes somewhat of a blessing, in it's own strange way. Not that that's a bad thing in and of itself, but it might make pure sealing and ignoring monsters a bit too viable a strategy. In any case, I'd like to try this out before passing judgement.

#30 Lord of Squirrels

Lord of Squirrels

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:29 AM

Here is a Guardian from The Dark Tower Series: Skoldpadda. The turtle pic isn't very good it should be a turtle with the earth on its back. Couldn't find one...

#31 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

By the Power of Grayskull!  I!  Have!  THE GAROD!

#32 Gar_Stazi

Gar_Stazi

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

For Skoldpatta....Try typing in Anguirus on a google image search.....that way at least you'll get a scary looking turtle instead of a cute one.

Anguirus is one of godzilla's enemies.....don't ask me how I know that, I really am not sure....probably from playing too much of Godzilla: Destroy all Monsters Melee! back in the day.

I'm gonna guess that you tried typing in something like, "Zelda: Majora's Mask Giant Turtle" and got nothing right? lol. I only say that because I thought I had the perfect picture solution for you, but it turns out there are no good pictures of the giant turtle from that game. If you can find one, then you are set.

#33 pittplayer

pittplayer

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

its really funny how this thread died out!! lol guardians were a bad idea for ah.

#34 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:46 AM

#35 pittplayer

pittplayer

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

"hear chirping" nuff said. this is why no new guardians in Innsmouth.

#36 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

kroen said:

She needs something else... as is it's just two rather bland but useful abilities with no flavor. The 'flavor text' section and Holding Evil Back both say the same thing, so you could use that space to explain who this even is and whatnot. Also, another ability or two would be nice just to make it not look so empty. It doesn't have to be anything powerful, just a nice little thematic tidbit would help.

#37 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

pittplayer said:

"hear chirping" nuff said. this is why no new guardians in Innsmouth.

Actually, I think it has more to do with the problem of how little ways there actually are to help the investigators versus the millions of ways to hinder them. It's just how the game is designed.

Plus you also have to consider the lack of benevolent or even passively beneficial entities in the source fiction. Lovecraft himself avoided them like the plague and they aren't that common in his imitators either.

Guardians are a great mechanic for fine-tuning difficulty and adding variety to the experience in the form of more variables, but it can be hard to come up with a large number of them.

#38 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

The Message said:

kroen said:

She needs something else... as is it's just two rather bland but useful abilities with no flavor. The 'flavor text' section and Holding Evil Back both say the same thing, so you could use that space to explain who this even is and whatnot. Also, another ability or two would be nice just to make it not look so empty. It doesn't have to be anything powerful, just a nice little thematic tidbit would help.

He's got a point Kroen - there's space for a ton more stuff on there. Since it's all fairly 'passive' stuff so far, you could think about something the investigators can do or gain that they couldn't get before. Some sort of one-off special bonus card, like the Blessing of Bast thing?

#39 Admiral142

Admiral142

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

Are you tired of getting blessed when you already have a blessing so the effect is wasted?  I hate that.  I had an idea for a Guardian that would make that less traumatic...

Shield of Faith needs to have added, "Discard if you lose your blessing".  Sorry about that.

Let me know what you think!

#40 Admiral142

Admiral142

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

Crap it cut a few of the cards off!  Here is a link if you like what you can see...

home.comcast.net/~keith.boyd/pwpimages/Card-Deck-1.png

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS