Custom Great Old Ones

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#1181 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

Oh I get it, most definitely. I think I have trouble the most with FBs BECAUSE I am afraid of them myself! XD

#1182 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Ok, some more time to think about your answer. I'm not so sure I get the point about low on Stamina investigators having problems with Cultists: if the mod were lower, what would have happened? The odds of ending up crippled would have been greater, not lower, with the additional contra that it'd have been more likely two combat checks to be required in order to pass so that a 3-Sta character would have been in greater peril.

Thanks for the feedback on playtesting. Point is that you need some "cash" monsters to be sure, and 5-toughness could be a lot, especially because the main sealer is often not the monster whacker. Still, you have to spend the trophies only if you fail, so that this could actually encourage some heavy-on-Blessings strategy. Dunno, really. When you platested this, how many expansions were in the mix? Lurker gates or not? It's something really difficult to judge.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#1183 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:52 AM

Lurker yes, since it was one of the way I listed as being the only way to really 'lose' a marker. Beyond that, I stuck with the base board.

#1184 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

Ok. This has sense. I'm afraid that with multiple expansion boards some problems could arise. Generally speaking, vanilla Arkham games tend to be longer with only the core board in play, with several ways to catch moments to respite, so that losing an explored marker could be bad, but not fatal. Playing with an Innsmouth board and losing the explorer marker at Devil Reef... well...

For core game board in play only, the AO is good, though.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#1185 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Heh, as you well know, Julia, I am a coward and have yet to touch Innsmouth! XD I whimper everytime my hand brushes it and its unspeakable evil when I use the Other World locations on it.

#1186 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

:laughter: you ain't no coward Faust. Simply, each board has its learning curve, and there is no rush in anything. The only thing I was implying is that, even though I really want to, I'm not able to give you any better advice on the AO because it's too different from the usual stuff that the only thing feasible is testing with different options to check whether it's actually beatable or not. And I'm sorry for not being able to further help

#1187 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Oh you've been a huge help already! And saying that 'it's so different' really made my night! I wanted to create an AO that was still viable but just from such an odd angle that it made things tricky or shook up the regular play!

#1188 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Then it's certainly mission accomplished :)

#1189 Xastur

Xastur

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

Time for a new Old One. Heh.

I wanted to try and create something that was part of the mythos but that was a bit vague. In this case, I picked Thomas Ligotti's creation, Cynothoglys, the Mortician God. I wanted to try something different to really make this one stand out on its own but still leaning towards the notions of blind, grasping death. Thus, the disruptive special ability during play and the Final Battle attack that punishes you for having more players (or at least Investigators for us Soloers). The Cultist ability is mostly because what little I could find about Cynothoglys' worshipers said they essentially sought out death (though most as smart enough to not call upon Cynothoglys directly) and so the Cultists in this case act more like kamikaze attackers--easy to defeat but at a relatively high cost too.

Cynothoglys-Front-Face_zps0c279391.png

Let Michael or Harvey fight this Ancient One alone and there is no way to lose the Final Battle.

Ex.

Michael always chooses to lose 1 stamina(and reduses the loss to 0 due to Strong Body ability);

Harvey  always chooses to lose 1 sanity(and reduses the loss to 0 due to Strong Mind ability).

In either case they cannot be devoured!

#1190 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

Problem solved on the Invincible Investigators!

Cynothoglys-Front-Face_zps9fcc36be.png

• metalizm likes this

#1191 Gnomeschool

Gnomeschool

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Wow, sixty pages already. D:

I have to look through these. Maybe it would be easier, if all Ancients Ones would be linked in the first post. Lot of work for someone, though.

Anyway. I created a new Acnient One myself and playtested him the last days. I think he works now, even if in my opinion he's a little too weak since he's not really interrupting the players in closing and sealing gates.

I wanted to create one to focus on flying monsters ... and in games with him there can be quiete a lot of them.

So here he is. I'm not a native speaker, so please correct me, if there are mistakes on his sheet. And also, if you might have a better name for him. This one was my head hitting the keyboard three times.

Illustration by me.

Seghtejt-Vorderseite.jpg

Whorshippers:

Seghtejt is worshipped by all kinds of flying terrors. All flying monsters have toughness 3.
If a flying monster would be gained as a trophy or returned to the monster cup, return it to the sky instead.

Ability:

When Seghtejt is selected as Ancient One, place 3 Byhakees and 1 Flying Polyp on the sky.
Flying monsters do not count toward the monster limit.
The sky is always adjacent to the first player's location.

Start of Battle:

X is the number of flying monsters in locations and street areas or the sky - whatever is higher.

Attack:

Each investigator must pass a speed (+1) check or lose X Stamina. This check's modifier decreases by 1 each turn.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS