• Please log in to reply
1199 replies to this topic

#1141 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Thanks to you for fixing and posting countless times the AO!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#1142 Shining Aquas

Shining Aquas

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Looks good.  There are three minor grammatical changes I would make, but if you've already printed it out it's ignorable.

I would change the wording on worshippers from "gain Endless" to "are Endless", change the main ability to say "raise the Terror Track/Level by 1", and remove the last comma on the main ability (not needed).

So, like I said, completely ignorable :)

My Custom Creation Thread - Tons of content of all kinds, just download and print yourself.

My Custom Gallery - Previews of everything I've made in one convenient space.

#1143 Aaron Wight

Aaron Wight

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

This thread is fantastic. It's great to se so many people's take on what would provide a unique challenge to Arkham Horror players! As for my own humble addition to this wonderful gallery…

I've been mulling over creating Ancient Ones from video game bosses I love, preferably ones with a strong element of creepyness and horror of course. That being said, I've decided to turn some of the bosses from the great game Persona 4 into bonafide horrors. I'm starting off with something perhaps a touch too modern for most Lovecraftian tastes- Shadow Naoto, a robotic boss possessing great intellect. I was trying to play on the dangers of Investigators knowing too much and yet too little, as well as stacking the deck against them in the final battle- brutally, but hopefully not impossibly so. Have a gander and tell me what you think!

Shadow Naoto

#1144 Shining Aquas

Shining Aquas

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I feel that while the design of Shadow Naoto is one intended to limit the investigators somewhat, it most often won't actually limit that much.  In fact, the Ancient One actually "benefits" Investigators more with the gift of control over the mythos.  Let's look it over.

The first part is effectively Yibb-Tstll's ability (Investigators cannot have more than 5 clue tokens ever, discarding extras) but done a little differently (You can definitely have more than 5 clue tokens, but if anyone does it adds a doom token during mythos), but much like Yibb-Tstll's abliity most investigators will simply treat it as "I can't have more than 5 clues" and play around it accordingly.  Chances are, most players are already trying to jump into gates at 5 clue tokens anyway so this probably won't punish anyone too severely, with the only exceptions being Rex Murphy and Patrice Hathaway.  I'm just worried that this ability isn't going to be very relevant in most games and is very easy to play around.  Alternatively, people can use it to force the Ancient One to wake up on their terms instead of the game's, more on that later.

The second part turns cultists into stalkers that still don't have a horror check, but do have a -3 evade and combat modifier.  That by itself is pretty reasonable, but then you also added "defeating one grants a clue token".  I effectively read this statement as "Sometimes you can pick up a clue token by ending your movement in the streets, and occasionally you get an extra clue when you try to enter/exit a gate".  Yeah, -3 is a tough combat check, but most people have a Fight of 4 or higher and somebody usually has a weapon, so the people capable of fighting cultists will do that instead of picking up clues in locations, while the non-fighters focus on grabbing clues in locations.  Clue Tokens are a valuable resource, and part of the difficulty of Arkham is working with the very few clues you are given.  Giving investigators more clues isn't the sort of thing an Ancient One should be doing in my opinion, unless the theme of the Ancient One is to mislead the investigators with "false information".  I have a friend that executed the same idea fairly well with an Ancient One based on the Homestuck villian "Doc Scratch", in which defeating a cultist rewarded a clue token but also required the investigator to pass a Lore check or add a doom token in the process.  It'd be easier to reference it if I had the files for Doc Scratch, but I do not unfortunately.

Finally, there's fighting the Ancient One.  As far as I can tell, it's pretty much unfightable the normal way.  However, you can choose to cheese the Ancient One out with the following three-man team: Patrice Hathaway, Mandy Thompson, Joe Diamond.  You basically just try to grab as many clues on Joe and Patrice as you can up to 5, and use Mandy to farm the General Store for a Shotgun and however many Bullwhips and Brass Knuckles you can.  After you have a shotgun, start grabbing more clues with Joe and Patrice and just try to wake up the Ancient One ASAP.  Make sure to bless Joe Diamond before it wakes up.  Once it awakens, Joe Diamond spends all but 1 clue token and all but 1 of Patrice's clues (or all of her's if you want), and rolls like a beast.  After his insane roll, use Mandy's Research ability to reroll all the failures, and any bullwhips you picked up to reroll failures after that.  If you are reasonably lucky, you'll kill the Ancient One in a giant blast of glory.

I understand that you can implement the above gambit against almost any Ancient One, but it is much easier to execute against Shadow Naoto than other AO's because 1) She allows you way to "control" the doom track to force an awakening before too much of the mythos screws with you, and 2) she allows you the means to generate extra clues off of cultists.  So far, she's the only Ancient One I've seen where you can literally predict and force an awakening against her at your own discretion.

I know this post sounds overly harsh, but I honestly feel these abilities need to go back to the drawing board before being played with.

My Custom Creation Thread - Tons of content of all kinds, just download and print yourself.

#1145 Aaron Wight

Aaron Wight

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

I really don't mind constructive critisism at all. It's what going to help me improve. What I feel really stupid about is failing to notice how the Investigators could abuse her awakening right away. That, of course, sends any difficulty the Ancient One presents down the drain to a team of Investigators with a modicum of strategy. She was intended for short games, but that can perhaps be done in other ways- the easiest one being shortening the doom track. I have another homebrewed abililty from way back that may be more appropriate while still fitting the theme of dangerous knowledge.

As for the Cultists, I find it hard to give them unique qualities. What I came up with for Shadow Naoto was essentially due to lack of creativity. I feel that the movement trait fits in that they systematically hunt you down, but I agree that the concequences of this actually benefitting players is disastrous. If anything, they should be limiting the players abilities to "puzzle together the truth". I don't want to give them Horror checks, so I'll have to add to the damage. Trite as it might be, I'll take Clue Tokes from them if they lose instead.

In the battle, I tried to play on that she knows everyone's weaknesses. Her start of battle plays on the Mute Ray, a special attack that takes away the protagonists magical abilities. I was thinking of restricting it to spells, but I wanted to "play tough". Perhaps it would have made more sense to just take away spells and add magical resistance to her, as well as a lower combat rating.

Her attack is horribly formulated in hindsight. I wrote "lowest rated skill" with "lowest rated skill under skill sliders", but I see now that it would be easy to read it as "lowest rated skill in generel", which would be 1 or even 0. By changing this I hope to add some more strategy to the battle.

With all your tips in mind, here is a new version, revised all along, most importantly with no "free" clue tokens. I hope you'll find here more playable, and thanks a bunch for the very thoruogh review you gave!

Shadow Naoto2

#1146 Atomicq

Atomicq

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hi Everyone,

After testing and kind suggestions I'm posting a new version of Shaurash-Ho, I hope you'll find it interesting enough for your gaming sessions.

#1147 Shining Aquas

Shining Aquas

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Main ability:

1/6 chance of going insane on any failed horror check?  Amusing, and kind of neat.  Everybody loses a sanity and the terror level goes up on going insane/devoured/retired? Probably not as bad as it looks.

Worshippers:

I'm not really feeling the connection here. "Shaurash-Ho disseminates terror through his cursed bloodline".  Oh god, these monsters are probably going to be terrifying!  "(Monsters) are endless".  Um…what?

Given your opening line and description of the worshippers, I was expecting them to simply make horror checks harder.  Not only would that match the flavor text, it would also synergize well with the Ancient One's main ability.

FIGHT!:

Um…it's fine I guess.  Kinda boring though.  Taking all the monsters on the board and fusing their combined resistances and immunities is a nice touch, but I was kinda expecting a bit more out of the actual attack.

I don't usually leave stuff up in these thread for critique anymore, but no one seems to respond to anything in my thread.  So, here's a little something I've been working on that's not completely final:

#1148 Atomicq

Atomicq

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

HI Shining Aquas, thanks again for your comments and suggestions, here goes another  version of Shaurash-Ho…

What an astounding amount of amazing work in you thread! 

#1149 Shining Aquas

Shining Aquas

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

Atomicq said:

What an astounding amount of amazing work in you thread!

Oh, thanks.  If you happen to see anything in there that you want to comment on (like balance input or suggestions), just post them in there.  I'll definitely see it.

To be completely honest, I think I preferred the previous version of Shaurash-Ho to this one, even though this version was making changes in a positive direction.

The changes made to The Evil Eye are a tad insane.  Whenever an investigator is driven insane, devoured or retired, each other investigator loses 2 sanity, where before everyone lost 1 sanity and terror level increased by 1.  I can't decide which is more flavorful for the execution of your idea since they are both good, but here's a startling thought:  Shaurash-Ho is absolutely ridiculous on a chain reaction.

Let's say someone fails a horror check and rolls a 1, or just goes insane the good ol' fashioned way.  Everyone else loses 2 sanity.  In a 4-player game, that means one person going insane causes the team of investigators to lose an additional 6 sanity.  However, what happens if that loss causes another player to be driven insane? That means the two survivors have now lost 4 sanity each, and the person that just went insane lost another 2 (I sure hope he got a madness, or he just went insane again).  Among the two survivors, it's probably likely that one of them went insane since they just unexpectedly lost 4 sanity, in a game where the normal max is usually 5-6, which means the final survivor has now lost 6 sanity and is almost definitely insane.  Due to the chain reaction of insanity, the original player to go insane and start this whole mess has now lost another 6 sanity, so he's gone insane again, causing this entire loop to repeat itself.  Keep in mind, this was with 4 players, but the game goes up to 8.

At least, when it was a loss of 1 sanity and raising the terror level by 1, it could create chain reactions but they weren't nearly as likely to go infinite like that.  So, I would propose one of two solutions:

1) Revert it back to the original text, play with it for a few games and see what happens.  If a chain reaction ever occurs, study the reaction of the audience involved.

2) Keep the new version, but change it to say "all other investigators lose 2 sanity.  This effect cannot cause them to fall below 1 sanity."

Then there's the new worshippers.  Flavorfully, I think this is a bit better but it's not quite what I has hoping for.  I still think the best thing to do with worshippers on this Ancient One is do something involving horror checks, like Cultists and Maniacs have a horror rating of -2 and a sanity damage of 1.  The current version is actually super strong, possibly too strong.  Curses are an extreme bane in this game, and getting cursed lasts you for a long time, possibly forever if you can never afford time or resources to manually remove it.  I'm both glad and upset that you've attached the curse to some of the weakest monsters.  Now what are people supposed to do about cultists?  You can't sneak past it, so you kill it, then you are horribly detrimented for multiple turns.  You could always opt to ignore it, but sometimes they just get in your way (like sitting on a gate).

Anyways, I think you're on the right track, but this set of changes wasn't quite what was needed.

#1150 Atomicq

Atomicq

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hi Shining Aquas,

Well, definately Shaurash-Ho is very Co-Op! :-)

The previous idea about Cursing the investigators tried to put a choice on the board… The group can play trying to evade the worshippers (so no curse), but since the High Priest, Warlocks and Witches have Magical Inmmunity/Resistance, if the players goes to a final battle they will find a Great Old One with Magical Inmmunity/Resistance too…

This new version makes the worshippers just more dangerous and Endless, so no curse but also no trophies… 

So here goes Shaurash-Ho VIII, quite a long dinasty!

#1151 The Ciaran

The Ciaran

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

So for my brother's birthday who is a huge fan of this boardgame I decided to make an lore appropriate redition of the Ancient One sheet. The idea behind this is to demonstrate the chaos and madness of the Cthulhu Mythos and the distruction caused from the multiple influences that the GOOs bring. Photo credits go toward the people who made the artwork that I lovingly used from google search

I could not figure out where to add this flavor text but it seemed appropriate

"Successfully banishing the old one: The investigators, though preventing unimaginable horrors from entering into our world, have only succeeded in interrupting the court which strives to appease The Mad God.  Though safe for now Azathoth has awakened from his slumber and the world is surely doomed. ".

Also any suggetions would be nice as I was at a loss for what Epithets to use for the heralds.

#1152 The Ciaran

The Ciaran

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

whoops small typo, the many cults activates when you initiate combat on a cultist not when it is drawn.

Here is a text version of the whole thing.

The Court of Azathoth

Attack Modifier: -?

Doom token slots: 14

Worshipers:

Worshipers of those who reside in Azathoth's court spread the madness of those that dwell among the stars. When encountering a cultist roll a die;

-On a 1, the investigator encountered a member of the Esoteric Order of Dagon and a worshiper of the Great Old One Cthulhu. The cultist has a Horror Rating of -2 and a Horror Damage of two sanity. If this cultist token is claimed as a trophy the investigator much draw one Innsmouth Look card

-On a 2, the cultist carries The Yellow Sign and is a harbinger of Hastur. He pledges his life to the King in Yellow. The cultist rides a byakhee mount and is considered Flying with a Combat Rating on -2. If the Cultist of Hastur is taken as a trophy draw one Blight card.

-On a 3, the cultist praises the many masks of Nyarlathotep and is considered Endless. If the investigator were to take this cultist as a trophy return it to the box that investigator then must discard three Clue Tokens or become Cursed

-On a 4, Yog-Sothoth's influence drives the cultists actions, this cultist has Magical Immunity and a Combat Rating of -1.  If this cultist were to be taken as a trophy place a Gate Token on its location. The cultist is taken as normal but the investigator is pulled into the other world and Delayed (No Doom token is added to the doom track if a portal is added in this way).

-On a 5, The cultist worships the many forms of Yig and has a Combat Rating of +0 and a Combat Damage of 4 Stamina. When defeated if the investigator who claims this trophy is Cursed he is then Devoured.

-On a 6, The cult of the Black Goat is ever prevalent in Arkham, remove one Monster Trophy from the investigator and place it on the board next to the Cultist, the investigator must now fight both the Cultist and the Monster starting with the Monster. If the investigator has no Monster Trophies draw one Monster from the Hexagon Monster Cup and place that one on the board instead (if additional cultists are drawn this way return them to the box and draw a new monster from the box) If the cultist is claimed as a trophy the investigator must discard one monster trophy or be Devoured.

-If an investigator fails to defeat a cultist after combat has been initiated add one Doom Token to the doom track.

Court of Azathoth Power:

The Mythos Stirs:

Place all gate tokens face down, flip them face up once an investigator attempts to enter the gate

When a Mythos card is revealed Arkham is drawn closer into the influence of the great old ones. When a Portal is flipped the Old One who is associated with that portal becomes the dominant presence and their power is used until replaced. If a portal cannot be placed the old ones powers are stalemated and whatever presence is dominant remains so.

-Shudde M'ell's "World Cracking" can be felt Throughout Arkham.

- In Innsmouth, Cthulhu's "Dreams of Madness" are always felt regardless of any gates placed in the region.  

-In Dunwich, Yog-Sothoth's "the Key and the Gate" is always felt regardless to Arkham's dominant presence.

- Kingsport's locals feel the same influences of Arkham's horror, however Nyarlathotep endless cult works tirelessly to commune with the thousand masks, add all mask monsters into the monster cup.

For determining the presence felt in Arkham consult the following as  Dimensional Portals are Revealed in any location (It may help to keep Tsathoggua, Haster, Cthulhu, Ithaqua, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth, and Nyarlathotep's Ancient One sheets on hand for the remainder of the game):

-Lost Carcosa: Haster's "The King in Yellow"

-Yuggoth: Tsathoggua's "Malaise"

-Plateau of Leng: Ithaqua's "Icy Winds"

-The Abyss / The Underworld: Shub-Niggurath's "Black Goat of the Woods"

-R'lyeh: Cthulhu's "Dreams of Madness"

-The Dreamlands / Unknown Kadath: Retain Previous Influence but replace one monster that would be placed with a random Mask monster.

-Another Dimension / Another Time:  Yog-Sothoth's "The Key and the Gate"

-Great Hall of Celano: Retain Previous Influences, Investigators may choose to either; Banish one Mask Monster back to the cup but be replaced by two cultists, Remove one Doom Token in Exchange for the terror level increasing by one, or Close a Rift in exchange for a Monster surge.

-City of the Great Race: Retain Previous Influence but replace the first monster to be placed on that gate with a Flying Polyp

Attack:

Start Combat with Nyarlathotep's Plot Cards and only 4 doom tokens on his doom Track. Once defeated place whatever Ancient One that last held dominance in Arkham with 10 doom tokens placed on their Doom Track and use their Plot Cards for the remainder of the fight.

Successfully banishing the old one: The investigators, though preventing unimaginable horrors from entering into our world, have only succeeded in interrupting the court which strives to appease The Mad God.  Though safe for now Azathoth has awakened from his slumber and the world is surely doomed. 

#1153 Shining Aquas

Shining Aquas

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sooooooooo…….it's basically like playing with 6 different Ancient Ones in rotation?

Because that's how I'm currently reading it.

#1154 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

I don't think rotation is quite the right term. It's like playing with one Ancient One that has the abilities and influences of all the others. Their effects are felt constantly, just under certain conditions. This is definitely one that you can only really use and enjoy if you have every single expansion which is both good and bad in my opinion. For you and your brother who are obviously huge fans, this is perfect. Any group that is die-hard about the game will probably have a lot of fun with this--hell it's practically a full expansion on its own.

You obviously put a huge amount of thought into this whole set up and I applaude you for the creative way of working it.

#1155 MichX0

MichX0

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

Uhm, Is this theme still opened?

Hello everyone!

I play Arkam horror not for long, and 58 pages full of AOs... Still, I had couple ideas, so what do you think about these guys, are they any good or interesting at all?

Also, I'm Russian, so my english no good, sorry.

Harbinger1_1863198_9879961.jpg

Samael1jpg_1195486_9879971.jpg

Edited by MichX0, 27 November 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#1156 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

Cannot open the link MIch! Mind posting directly the image here, so that we can see it?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#1157 MichX0

MichX0

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

Don't know how... How about now, working?

#1158 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

Nope. Have you tried using the "insert image" option in the reply format? Third line, just near the "hyperlink" buttons; click there and add the url of the image. This should make the image appear here.

Otherwise there should be a way to up images to your personal gallery on this very site, and insert images from that gallery in your posts (but I still have to figure out how to put stuff in my gallery. Not clear at all)

#1159 MichX0

MichX0

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

aao8.jpgif it's working now, problem was in Russian hosting I used. hope so.9qg0.jpg

#1160 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Aye, it's working perfectly! Lemme check & comment

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS