Jump to content



Photo

Custom Great Old Ones


  • Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#21 mageith

mageith

    Member

  • Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

Mykayel: [Just in case you can't tell what it sayis on the sheet]

Mageith: Thanks for writing out the words. My computer takes forever to load those images.

Mykayel: Worshippers The cultists that worship Azrathan are turned into creatures. Whenever an investigator must battle a cultist, remove the cultist from the game and replace him with a random monster from the cup.

Mageith: This is interesting and new.

Mykayel: Life Absorption During the Arkham Encounter Phase, if there is a gate open, all investigators in Arkham lose 1 Stamina. When this happens, put 1 Doom Token on the Doom Track.

Mageith: This is beyond difficult.  Either one of these rules will make the game extremely difficult or impossible and frustrating.  There will almost always be an open gate and the Doom tokens will be coming at almost 2 a turn.

Mykayel: Start Of Battle: Place a Doom Token from this sheet on every investigator sheet. 

Mykayel: AttackInvestigators with a Doom Token on them lose 1 Sanity.
Every investigator with a Doom Token on him/her, rolls a die and consults the following chart:
1-3: Lose 1 Stamina.
4-5: Skip your next turn. 6: Remove the Doom Token from your investigator sheet.

Mageith: So the insanity will continue!  I can't see that you playtested this much.  I think you would have seen the impossibility and futility of the Ancient Ones.  Hey!  Maybe you are puling our legs?

Mykayel: You cannot use Clue Tokens to roll any extra dice. Every investigator that does not have a Doom Token on them must draw 3 random monsters from the cup and battle them.

Mageith: Aaaaaaargh!

Mageith: I think you have enough destruction, insanity and futility for three maybe four Ancient Ones.  Of course, I'm speaking in game turns only.



#22 Mykayel

Mykayel

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:25 AM

 The Message : The boss isn't from another game or anything, I just made him up.

 

mageith : I'm sick of seeing people that say Cthulhu can easily be beaten in a 2 player game. :| So I gave them an Ancient One that would suit thier "skill". I know my Ancient One is almost impossible to beat. Also, as for the parts you think are new, you didn't see anything yet. I'm currently working on new card and sheets that will make the game more intresting and fun. Don't worry, the Ancient Ones will not be impossible to beat, but they will have some pretty original abilities and attacks. I will post them when they are ready. :) I design Board Games just for fun (even made a Resident Evil game that like arkham horror can be plaied solo, but with completely different rules) so I'm good at coming up with ideeas. The only problem is that usualy it takes me a lot of time to come up with something since I don't want to make something that everyone has seen before.

I hope I can bring some new elements to the game to make it more fun. :) Like it when people enjoy games or game elements that I make, and that's more than enough for me. (That's why all the board games/card games I made are free)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



#23 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

    Member

  • Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

Mageith: This is beyond difficult.  Either one of these rules will make the game extremely difficult or impossible and frustrating.  There will almost always be an open gate and the Doom tokens will be coming at almost 2 a turn.

I agree with Mageith completely here. Basically your generating ~2 Doom a turn as chances are if you've closed all the Gates you've probably won the game by gate closures. Consequently, the Ancient One's Doom Track is essentially eight turns long, plus maybe a couple more if you seal a vital location early or get a monster Surge. That just isn't long enough. Throw in the loss of Stamina practically every turn and you can pretty count out any Stamina 3 Investigators. The game is meant to be a challenge, but if it's too hard it just becomes frustrating - as a player, would you really want to miss every other turn because your Investigator was forever being sent to the hospital? The trick is to make the game tight - if the Investigators lose they should be thinking "if only...", if they win they should be thinking "Sheesh that was close!"

My suggestion is to remove the extra doom Tokens completely and drop your GOO to 12 or 13 Doom. Life Drain can operate in the Movement Phase - Any Investigator who begins their Movement Phase in a neighbourhood with one or more open gates lose one Stamina. This puts extra pressure on Outer World Explorers to close/seal their Gates straight away, but leaves the players more in control of their actions and consequenelty ultimately more responsible for any disaster that befalls them.

As for the attack, why not have each player draw and defeat a monster. This seems to fit your theme and is a lot simpler than rolling a dice to see what happens each time.


Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.


#24 Mykayel

Mykayel

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

 Ok, here's a new one. Haven't got a chance to try this one out yet, so If you do, please tell me what adjustments need to be made.

Here is what is sayis on the Sheet:

Worshipers:

Cthylla is worshipped by the criminally insane. All Cultist, Warlocks, Witches, Maniacs and High Priests have -2 Horror Rating and a Sanity Damage of 2.

Secret Daughter Of Cthulhu:

Whenever an investigator defeats a Cultist, that investigator receives an Elder Sign token. When an investigator is in an Other World, he can use an Elder Sign token to communicate with Cthylla. That investigator loses 3 Sanity but gains a Clue Token and a Doom Token is removed from the Doom Track.

Attack:

Every investigator must pass a Speed (-3) check or lose X Stamina.

Start Of Battle:

X is changed to the number of gates currently open in Arkham.



#25 The Message

The Message

    Member

  • Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

Mykayel said:

 Ok, here's a new one. Haven't got a chance to try this one out yet, so If you do, please tell me what adjustments need to be made.

Here is what is sayis on the Sheet:

Worshipers:

Cthylla is worshipped by the criminally insane. All Cultist, Warlocks, Witches, Maniacs and High Priests have -2 Horror Rating and a Sanity Damage of 2.

Secret Daughter Of Cthulhu:

Whenever an investigator defeats a Cultist, that investigator receives an Elder Sign token. When an investigator is in an Other World, he can use an Elder Sign token to communicate with Cthylla. That investigator loses 3 Sanity but gains a Clue Token and a Doom Token is removed from the Doom Track.

Attack:

Every investigator must pass a Speed (-3) check or lose X Stamina.

Start Of Battle:

X is changed to the number of gates currently open in Arkham.

I like this, a lot. Short track, but with a mechanism for slowing it, so it at least encourages players to try for sealing/closing. The final battle looks fun too, 'easy' to kill (relatively) but capable of dealing a ton of damage. I might actually print this one out when I get a chance, even though I hate that whole 'family of old ones' theme that popped up in... Derlethe's(?) writings.



#26 The Message

The Message

    Member

  • Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:49 AM

Ok, this one has a bit of a... different end game, should it come to Final Battle.

http://boardgamegeek...file/info/38091

Mnomquah would be the GOO obviously, the scenario, monster token and map are all for the Final Battle, as described on his sheet. In short, when he wakes up you put the Horror of the Black Lake scenario in play and move all investigators to the Lake of Ubboth map, placing the Mnomquah monster token in the center (The map is currently having issues, probably because I forgot to upload each location file. The update is currently pending and should be up in a day or so). Gates open up on the outskirts of the map and spew out monsters, which the investigators must battle and close. Meanwhile, Mnomquah's token moves (As a fast stalker) after them and starts kicking tail. Basically, combat with him is started like a normal monster, but you use the statistics on his AO sheet just like a normal final battle (You may still flee, though). The end result is that the endgame is slightly more dynamic, but I'm unsure whether it's harder or easier.



#27 Mykayel

Mykayel

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

 I just finished reading the AO and the scenario. Good ideea for the "Start Of Battle" and I also like his Attack. Unlike AO's that are annoying because you NEED a gate token not to be killed, this one makes you defend yourself or take damage. Hmm... Thinking about printing this....probably as soon as I get to play with my group. :)



#28 The Message

The Message

    Member

  • Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

Mykayel said:

 I just finished reading the AO and the scenario. Good ideea for the "Start Of Battle" and I also like his Attack. Unlike AO's that are annoying because you NEED a gate token not to be killed, this one makes you defend yourself or take damage. Hmm... Thinking about printing this....probably as soon as I get to play with my group. :)

Awesome, glad you like it.



#29 Mykayel

Mykayel

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:59 AM

You all probably know Hastur, The King In Yellow, by know right? Well...it is my distinct pleasure to introduce you to my new Ancient One. The Half Brother Of Cthulhu, the God of all shepherds, the Ancient One who's shape has never been revealed, brought to you more powerful than ever and with a shiny new look...gentelmen I give you: the one, the only, Hastur The Unspeakable One.

 

Yeah, so he looks nice, but can he DO anything? Well, let's find out:

Power: Investigators are no longer sent to the Hospital or Asylum. If an investigator has 0 Sanity, he must pass a Will(-2) check during upkeep or else commit suicide. If an investigator has 0 Stamina, he only receives 1 movement point during upkeep. If an investigator has less than 0 Stamina or Sanity, that investigator is devoured.

Worshippers: Hastur, Half-Brother of Cthulhu, is worshiped by The Cult of the Yellow Sign. If a Cultist is in a street area connected to a Sealed Gate, move him to that location and remove the Elder Sign Token.

Attack: When Hastur is attacked by a Weapon, the attacking investigator must pass a Speed(-2) Check or lose 1 Stamina for each die he rolled.When Hastur is attacked by a Spell, each investigator must pass a Luck(+1) check or become Cursed.

Start Of Battle: X is set to the current terror level.

 

 

 

 



#30 The Message

The Message

    Member

  • Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

Mykayel said:

You all probably know Hastur, The King In Yellow, by know right? Well...it is my distinct pleasure to introduce you to my new Ancient One. The Half Brother Of Cthulhu, the God of all shepherds, the Ancient One who's shape has never been revealed, brought to you more powerful than ever and with a shiny new look...gentelmen I give you: the one, the only, Hastur The Unspeakable One.

 

Yeah, so he looks nice, but can he DO anything? Well, let's find out:

Power: Investigators are no longer sent to the Hospital or Asylum. If an investigator has 0 Sanity, he must pass a Will(-2) check during upkeep or else commit suicide. If an investigator has 0 Stamina, he only receives 1 movement point during upkeep. If an investigator has less than 0 Stamina or Sanity, that investigator is devoured.

Worshippers: Hastur, Half-Brother of Cthulhu, is worshiped by The Cult of the Yellow Sign. If a Cultist is in a street area connected to a Sealed Gate, move him to that location and remove the Elder Sign Token.

Attack: When Hastur is attacked by a Weapon, the attacking investigator must pass a Speed(-2) Check or lose 1 Stamina for each die he rolled.When Hastur is attacked by a Spell, each investigator must pass a Luck(+1) check or become Cursed.

Start Of Battle: X is set to the current terror level.

 

Currently, he's far too easy in the final battle. As long as you put down your spells and weapons he can't do a single thing to you. This of course leads to the silly picture of people punching Hastur to death as he lies there helpless. The rest of the card looks nice though, and you could fix the endgame by just adding a more traditional attack in addition to his 'defenses'.



#31 thorgrim

thorgrim

    Member

  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

The Message said:

Mykayel said:

 

You all probably know Hastur, The King In Yellow, by know right? Well...it is my distinct pleasure to introduce you to my new Ancient One. The Half Brother Of Cthulhu, the God of all shepherds, the Ancient One who's shape has never been revealed, brought to you more powerful than ever and with a shiny new look...gentelmen I give you: the one, the only, Hastur The Unspeakable One.

 

Yeah, so he looks nice, but can he DO anything? Well, let's find out:

Power: Investigators are no longer sent to the Hospital or Asylum. If an investigator has 0 Sanity, he must pass a Will(-2) check during upkeep or else commit suicide. If an investigator has 0 Stamina, he only receives 1 movement point during upkeep. If an investigator has less than 0 Stamina or Sanity, that investigator is devoured.

Worshippers: Hastur, Half-Brother of Cthulhu, is worshiped by The Cult of the Yellow Sign. If a Cultist is in a street area connected to a Sealed Gate, move him to that location and remove the Elder Sign Token.

Attack: When Hastur is attacked by a Weapon, the attacking investigator must pass a Speed(-2) Check or lose 1 Stamina for each die he rolled.When Hastur is attacked by a Spell, each investigator must pass a Luck(+1) check or become Cursed.

Start Of Battle: X is set to the current terror level.

 

 

Currently, he's far too easy in the final battle. As long as you put down your spells and weapons he can't do a single thing to you. This of course leads to the silly picture of people punching Hastur to death as he lies there helpless. The rest of the card looks nice though, and you could fix the endgame by just adding a more traditional attack in addition to his 'defenses'.

 

 

Why even put down your weapons? Just refocus your Speed so that you roll no dice. You fail the speed check, but don't lose anything.



#32 Mykayel

Mykayel

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

 Yup, I can see the problem with my Hastur. Gonna modify his end game attacks a little. Posting him later today.



#33 Mykayel

Mykayel

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

 

 

Made a small change in the Image position as well, like him better this way. This is his new Attack:

When Hastur is attacked by a Weapon, in order for the attack to succeed, that investigator must pass a Speed(-2) check or else lose 1 Stamina.

When Hastur is attacked by a Spell, each investigator must pass a Luck(+1) check or become Cursed.

Every investigator loses 1 Sanity and 1 Doom Token is added to the Doom Track.



#34 Mykayel

Mykayel

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

The Message said:

Ok, this one has a bit of a... different end game, should it come to Final Battle.

http://boardgamegeek...file/info/38091

Mnomquah would be the GOO obviously, the scenario, monster token and map are all for the Final Battle, as described on his sheet. In short, when he wakes up you put the Horror of the Black Lake scenario in play and move all investigators to the Lake of Ubboth map, placing the Mnomquah monster token in the center (The map is currently having issues, probably because I forgot to upload each location file. The update is currently pending and should be up in a day or so). Gates open up on the outskirts of the map and spew out monsters, which the investigators must battle and close. Meanwhile, Mnomquah's token moves (As a fast stalker) after them and starts kicking tail. Basically, combat with him is started like a normal monster, but you use the statistics on his AO sheet just like a normal final battle (You may still flee, though). The end result is that the endgame is slightly more dynamic, but I'm unsure whether it's harder or easier.

 

dude, I'm having some trouble printing this "scenario"...my Strange Eons program (or any program I have for that matter) can't open Lake of Ubboth or Mnomquah Monster. Any ideea why?



#35 The Message

The Message

    Member

  • Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

Mykayel said:

The Message said:

 

Ok, this one has a bit of a... different end game, should it come to Final Battle.

http://boardgamegeek...file/info/38091

Mnomquah would be the GOO obviously, the scenario, monster token and map are all for the Final Battle, as described on his sheet. In short, when he wakes up you put the Horror of the Black Lake scenario in play and move all investigators to the Lake of Ubboth map, placing the Mnomquah monster token in the center (The map is currently having issues, probably because I forgot to upload each location file. The update is currently pending and should be up in a day or so). Gates open up on the outskirts of the map and spew out monsters, which the investigators must battle and close. Meanwhile, Mnomquah's token moves (As a fast stalker) after them and starts kicking tail. Basically, combat with him is started like a normal monster, but you use the statistics on his AO sheet just like a normal final battle (You may still flee, though). The end result is that the endgame is slightly more dynamic, but I'm unsure whether it's harder or easier.

 

 

 

dude, I'm having some trouble printing this "scenario"...my Strange Eons program (or any program I have for that matter) can't open Lake of Ubboth or Mnomquah Monster. Any ideea why?

Yeah, I think you need all the locations, due to how SE treats them. I uploaded all of that to the BGG page. Let me know if there are any more issues.



#36 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

    Member

  • Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

 

 

I've made Roland so what good would he be without his nemesis?

Ok it's been awhile sense I've read the Dark Tower but here’s the CK.

He was worshipped (not sure if I would call it that mainly seemed like they where his puppets but guess it's the same thing?), Vampires, Humanoids with the body of a man but the head of a beast (bird, dog, etc) and Humanoid giant rate like creatures the "Low Men in Yellow Coats" that fancied them selves as human...i.e. would where human mask, very tacky clothing in bright pastel colors and very filthy (vile) creatures.

These low men where the focus, sense to me they seemed the most numerous of his worshippers plus to include Vampires and the Beast Men would make the text itty-bitty.

Why Stalker and the loss of sanity when they move into an investigators location? Because they would spy on, collect people and the people they would stalk always had an unnerving feeling of being watched.

Unstable World ~the CK was in fact trying to destroy all reality itself and the Mystic cards seemed like an appropriate way to convey this idea. So if your shuffled really bad the CK could awaken the first turn and most likely devour everyone.

Blood Feast ~he would gain strength from the misery and death of others

Start of Battle ~also from the book, seems like you would always have to sacrifice friends to get closes enough to the CK to destroy him.

CK attack ~I know it's basically Yig's and originally had him do 1 stamina damage but would get stale mates vs. Lee, McGleen and Chen. CK is a smart Creature so figured he would try to take away your ability to hurt him i.e. the loss of spells, weapons and skills!

He has the same Attack Rating (-4 magical resistance) as Nyarlathotep witch seem appropriate to me sense they seem similar to me and had to give him a Doom Track of 13 due to Ole Black 13 from the book.

NOTE: Was thinking abut changing his attacks where each investigator must discard 2 investigators cards (spells, common items, rail passes, etc) or be Devoured just so he has his own unique attack.

NOTE: NOTE: Not sure what is with the little holes on the card.

 

 

 

 



#37 The Message

The Message

    Member

  • Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

I like him, especially his Worshipper and Unstable World abilities. He seems a bit easy to beat though, honestly, especially in the final battle. You can keep feeding him unneeded items as you blast him to pieces, especially since his modifier isn't too bad. At least his large doom track would help him there, but it also means that the investigators have plenty of time to seal, assuming they don't get stupidly unlucky on mythos draws (4-5 Mystics could easily send the game spiralling out of control).

I like your other idea for his attack, though it also rewards stockpiling. At least it's somewhat different.

Random tangent: I've been meaning to read the Dark Tower series but never got around to it. Are they worth it for an English major with a ton of recreational reading already on his plate?



#38 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

    Member

  • Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

The Message said:

 

I like him, especially his Worshipper and Unstable World abilities. He seems a bit easy to beat though, honestly, especially in the final battle. You can keep feeding him unneeded items as you blast him to pieces, especially since his modifier isn't too bad. At least his large doom track would help him there, but it also means that the investigators have plenty of time to seal, assuming they don't get stupidly unlucky on mythos draws (4-5 Mystics could easily send the game spiralling out of control).

I like your other idea for his attack, though it also rewards stockpiling. At least it's somewhat different.

Random tangent: I've been meaning to read the Dark Tower series but never got around to it. Are they worth it for an English major with a ton of recreational reading already on his plate?

 

 

Originally had him turn Cultist into Leng Spiders and give Cultist Leng Spiders Nightmarish 2

True didn't want to make his combat modifiers to difficult, because he gains Doom tokens for every investigator thats devoured and if he wakes up and not everyone has an Ally his Doom Track will be 14+ and you will loss all those items those investigators had!

Fought him once in a four player game. Was not able to Seal him plus his Unstable World made one extra Gate open. Sadly 3 investigators died because of his Start of Battle and the last one removed 4 doom tokens from the 16 before being devoured!

The First 4 books are worth the read after Wizard in Glass they sort of felt rushed but read The Stand and Heart in Atlantis before the DK series.



#39 The Message

The Message

    Member

  • Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

MrsGamura said:

The Message said:

 

I like him, especially his Worshipper and Unstable World abilities. He seems a bit easy to beat though, honestly, especially in the final battle. You can keep feeding him unneeded items as you blast him to pieces, especially since his modifier isn't too bad. At least his large doom track would help him there, but it also means that the investigators have plenty of time to seal, assuming they don't get stupidly unlucky on mythos draws (4-5 Mystics could easily send the game spiralling out of control).

I like your other idea for his attack, though it also rewards stockpiling. At least it's somewhat different.

Random tangent: I've been meaning to read the Dark Tower series but never got around to it. Are they worth it for an English major with a ton of recreational reading already on his plate?

 

 

Originally had him turn Cultist into Leng Spiders and give Cultist Leng Spiders Nightmarish 2

True didn't want to make his combat modifiers to difficult, because he gains Doom tokens for every investigator thats devoured and if he wakes up and not everyone has an Ally his Doom Track will be 14+ and you will loss all those items those investigators had!

Fought him once in a four player game. Was not able to Seal him plus his Unstable World made one extra Gate open. Sadly 3 investigators died because of his Start of Battle and the last one removed 4 doom tokens from the 16 before being devoured!

The First 4 books are worth the read after Wizard in Glass they sort of felt rushed but read The Stand and Heart in Atlantis before the DK series.

Somehow I totally forgot about his Start of Battle when reviewing him. That actually makes it seem much tougher, since there are usual a few people without allies (And each of them adds another doom token in addition to reducing team firepower). I still think the alternate attack would be more unique, but that's really more of a stylistic issue at this point. I like him, I think I might print.



#40 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

    Member

  • Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS