The PDFs

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Rat Catcher

Rat Catcher

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

Well I fully expect FFG to come goodd here and sort it out. Because right now. I've given them £15 for a pdf print out I can't print out. And like I said, reading them is actually painful.

#22 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

A crude 'fix' is to print the document out to a 'pdf-printer' with the 'print as image' option. This loses all the bookmarks, but you have a readable copy which a fair machine can render swiftly.

#23 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:33 PM

Rat Catcher said:

Well I fully expect FFG to come goodd here and sort it out. Because right now. I've given them £15 for a pdf print out I can't print out. And like I said, reading them is actually painful.

Why can't you print it out? I had no issues printing all books. Does your printer run out of memory? You just need to set it up to print directly to printer, one page at a time.

#24 Rat Catcher

Rat Catcher

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:00 AM

Gallows said:

Rat Catcher said:

Why can't you print it out? I had no issues printing all books. Does your printer run out of memory? You just need to set it up to print directly to printer, one page at a time.

Because it would cost me too much in ink.

#25 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:46 AM

Rat Catcher said:

Gallows said:

Rat Catcher said:

Because it would cost me too much in ink.

Oh... I have a colour laser printer, so it wasn't much of an issue. But with an ink printer it will get both messy and expensive.

#26 W1nterKn1ght

W1nterKn1ght

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:49 AM

keltheos said:

I've had the same problems scrolling through mine. They do have an easily searchable bookmarking you can have running on the side to jump around, but I don't have a slow computer and it takes forever to scroll page by page and it would definitely be appreciated if FFG would update these so we can turn the background off. It 1) will make sure my printer doesn't cry and then jump off a rooftop, and 2) make online reading easier.

Pleeease FFG? 

I second that.

#27 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

I have now tried printing it to a new pdf using CutePDF. The pdf becomes faster by doing this, not fast but it doesn't take a minute to load a page any longer. Guess that's as good as it gets unless I want to buy some professional software.

#28 reg

reg

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

I run a pretty good i-book, but i too find the whole thing slow, esp the bigger books. One thing, though is that the pages load as layers - the stats lines, supposedly not in the e-books, appear very briefly - is this just a mac thing? Is it possible to turn off the blanking layer? Suggestions gratefully etc

#29 W1nterKn1ght

W1nterKn1ght

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

Fresnel said:

A crude 'fix' is to print the document out to a 'pdf-printer' with the 'print as image' option. This loses all the bookmarks, but you have a readable copy which a fair machine can render swiftly.

That can't be it, does it?

It's like buying a brand new car - and it runs only 10 mph but if you put squared tires (bought from another vendor) on it, it runs at least 50 - but bumping.

I bought the pdf -even though i bought two boxes - because I was used good stuff by FFG, but if they  botched it.

Greetings WK

#30 LeBlanc13

LeBlanc13

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

masteroftroy said:

First of all, I am not promoting or sponsoring any hardware or software. I own a MacBook Pro and view these pdf rules on a program called "preview", which is build in the OS. They scroll smoothly and easily with this program. If you can click page numbers within the table of contents, then this is something that I am lacking with this program. I can refer to the page number easily by a sidebar that contains the click-able pages of the section.

What I am suggesting... is to try and find another pdf viewer that might be faster and smoother. Once again, hardware is comparable to most of what you are running with a pc. I think the software is the issue.

For what it is worth...

Troy

I've got both the MacBook and the iMac and have no issues viewing the .pdf files I've purchased from FFG off of RPGNow.com

#31 GravitysAngel

GravitysAngel

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

W1nterKn1ght said:

Fresnel said:

That can't be it, does it?

It's like buying a brand new car - and it runs only 10 mph but if you put squared tires (bought from another vendor) on it, it runs at least 50 - but bumping.

I bought the pdf -even though i bought two boxes - because I was used good stuff by FFG, but if they  botched it.

It's more like taking that complicated Photoshop file you made with lots of layers and masks and flattening it to one layer so it displays quickly.

#32 SiliconSicilian

SiliconSicilian

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

masteroftroy said:

First of all, I am not promoting or sponsoring any hardware or software. I own a MacBook Pro and view these pdf rules on a program called "preview", which is build in the OS. They scroll smoothly and easily with this program. If you can click page numbers within the table of contents, then this is something that I am lacking with this program. I can refer to the page number easily by a sidebar that contains the click-able pages of the section.

What I am suggesting... is to try and find another pdf viewer that might be faster and smoother. Once again, hardware is comparable to most of what you are running with a pc. I think the software is the issue.

For what it is worth...

Troy

Thank you.  I was going to ask how the MBPs handled the PDF's.  I may buy a copy afterall.

#33 BinarySecond

BinarySecond

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

Printing the PDFs is often barely an option because (at least the printer I have) has to flatten each page individually before it prints, which takes an absolute age and even then it prints slowly because each page is so much information. Just flattening on the distribution end would make things easier. 

#34 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

I don't know if printing those pdfs is 100% legal. Is this not comming in piracy? You bought a pdf, then You print it out and if it's only for your use it's - let's say OK. But if this pdf is shared with others and eeryone is printing it out then FFG looses money. And You all wonder why is this game not supported well? HMM

That's why I'm a big fan of NOT making pdf versions of books and RPGs avaliable. When You want to play a game buy it so that thge company publishing it can make money. If they earn money from thse sells then they make expansions and the game is suported. When You are buying on pdfs and share it with friends, everybody prints it or wthat worts someone publishs in ion net for free - everybody is loosing. Thge company looses money and fans loose a game (lack of support).

#35 Twodogz

Twodogz

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

Big time Necro Thread lol... 4 years.

FFG's WFRP3 Forum: Home to the MMO and D&D4e community.

The Borg here cry unless you comply.

#36 GmMichael

GmMichael

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

Big time Necro Thread lol... 4 years.

That's been a huge problem lately. I can't tell if this community is simply bored, or a troll farm. I suspect a bit of both.

• Keeop likes this

#37 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Maybe some of us a bored but now that we know WFRP 3e if officialy dead I can say - I told You!

PDFs and piracy are RPG killers. That's only my opinion, sorry if it hurts anyone.

#38 GmMichael

GmMichael

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

PWYW models seem to be working. At least to give people something to think about before they torrent. 

Edited by GmMichael, 18 February 2014 - 06:43 PM.

#39 archon007

archon007

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Maybe some of us a bored but now that we know WFRP 3e if officialy dead I can say - I told You!
PDFs and piracy are RPG killers. That's only my opinion, sorry if it hurts anyone.

I'm new to FFG learned about them because of Edge of the Empire, but always loved Warhammer Fantasy. I've been thinking of buying it, but with your comment not sure. Why do you say it's officially dead, did they post that somewhere?

#40 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Being bored that there's nothing to buy is different from being bored because you aren't playing.

I personally do not get a rush from shopping, however, I do like to buy products. 

The biggest concern is that the Adventurer's toolkit might not be available.  Until FFG releases the PDF of this product, there could be a big hole in production.  I still wonder why they didn't do a POD for something like that.

• GmMichael likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS